Neutral Reviews of A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Tmoran's avatar

I cant give this a thumbs down nor can I give it a thumbs up. Its just meh. Its not a bad smell. Its just terribly linear and boring. My biggest complaint is there seems to be a trend with houses using juniper berry in fragrances marketed as sport scents. I dont find juniper berry in the least bit fresh nor sporty. The last fragrance I experienced with juniper berry like this was gucci pour homme sport and that literally makes me want to vomit. The real reason though Im not giving this a thumbs down is because while I am definitely not a fan of juniper berry its done well enough here that I can tolerate it. As it dries down (5 - 10 minutes. Its quick in bed, lol) it gets more pleasant. I wouldnt call it generic but it definitely not what you expect from Thierry mugler which is actually get the unexpected. I think their biggest mistake was marketing this as a "pure" flanker. They probably felt it would improve sales but fragrance fans arent stupid. The pure series is popular because the stuff is just flat out good. It had nothing to do with marketing. IMHO pure malt, pure havane and even TOF are masterpieces. This? More like a chicken scratch doodle on a napkin.

26 June, 2014

The_Cologneist's avatar

Nothing really special. In a nutshell.. this is a stripped down version of B*Men, with a little added mint. Projection is ok, longevity is pretty poor for a Mugler.. 5 hours tops. Got a partial bottle through a swap, glad I didn't buy this one. If you like B*Men, but find it too sweet, or don't like the rhubarb and coffee notes, you'll like this.

17 June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

The mint-freshness of the opening with its juniper vibe is nice, as is the light white pepper note. Later a wood impression with a patchouli that is very restrained on my skin. Whilst the summery
    top notes are convincing, the rest is quite mediocre. Limited silage and projection with three hours of longevity.

12 February, 2014

Renato's avatar

I tested Pure Shot eight or nine times over 10 weeks, as it was going for a reasonable price in a shop I visited. I really wanted to like it, because the bottle was so sharp looking.

However, it reminded me of some notes in A*men for about 20 seconds, then turned to something green, which just did not grab me, despite sniffing it all day long afterwards (the scent does has excellent longevity).

It plainly had next to nothing to do with the other "Pures" I had tested (i.e. Malt, Havane and Leather), and I had to pass on it for now.
    Regards.

22 November, 2013

cerjr's avatar

Good scent value

This definitely has the Aventus signature, but is a lighter, more easily wearable fragrance. On a hot summer day when you want to smell unique, this is the one for you. I first smelled it in Germany, and ended up ordering it a few months later at home. Very glad that I did.

Pros: Great fresh scent
    Cons:

09 June, 2013

Darvant's avatar

This one smells like a sort of mix of the classic A*Men and Ice*Men with hints of the B*Men's final ambery woodiness. I detect for sure a sort of aromatic bombastic patchouli (less heady than in A*Men anyway) but the honeyed/chocolatey vibe is far subdued. The averagely intoxicating beginning is highly citrusy and minty due to the link of juniper and mint, a sort of aromatic/lemony and peppery Mojito which stands out for a while without traces of mellifluence. After a bit of time the heady patchouli starts taking the scene with its moderate touch of rising creaminess which keeps anyway to be minty and aromatic till almost the end. Going on with the time the elements fade in strength and the final outcome becomes a soft aromatic white (barely soapy) whiff with a dominant patchouli. This is an easy unpretentious spring time office scent for those daring enough to experience these kind of scents. Not for me but not a disaster.

09 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2014)

CaliDude's avatar

I think the overall sense of peoples' negative reaction to this fragrance is because they had high expectations and compared it to the other Pure flankers. Once you separate this fragrance from the rest of the Mugler line and look at it from an independent point of view, I think people would realize it's average/okay.

Is it a disappointment compared to other flankers? Yes. This one sticks out like a sore thumb. Unlike the other flankers, it's not gourmand/boozy at all. It's a typical run of the mill sport fragrance.

Is it over priced? Absolutely. Definitely not worth the $85 asking price. IMO, it's actually laughable that they would price it that high. The most I'd pay for it is $45. I'm actually surprised it hasn't made its way to Fragrancenet yet.

But putting all that aside and examining the fragrance for what it is, I would say it's just "okay". I think it's a good fragrance to wear in the Spring & Summer. I would consider this a "safe" fragrance, and not off-putting.

Word to the wise, NEVER blind buy. This fragrance is a prime example of that. I'm glad I sampled this, saved me a lot of money.

24 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2012)

Mike213's avatar

PS starts off with a berry/minty vibe, the berry smelling kind of green earthy im guessing thats the juniper. Now the minty note does have a slight menthol feel like other reviews have stated but just slighty(on my skin at least). I gotta say though on paper this smells much sweeter, on my skin it smells mostly fresh and cool/clean with some sweetness. A hint of the white pepper in the background starts to come out not to long after the opening i'd say 20-30 mins in. The mint is gone within 40 mins or so(but still smells very frsh) then it gets sweeter at wich point the pepper and cardamom come out completely giving it a nice sweet and spicy mix, not gourmandish though. Its a pretty linear scent after that and to be quite honest i get a hint of patchouli at the very end but just a hint wich for me was about 4-5 hrs in.

This stuff lasted 7 hrs on my skin but it became a close skin scent after about 2hrs wich i didn't like.

Overall its a nice fragrance though best suited for spring or cooler summer days imo. I really can't compare this to the rest of the pure series since i only have pure malt,and a sample of A*men.

They do smell alike but this doesn't smell anything like those 2 anyway for the price i'd rather just get something else for the hot weather instead of PS (unless your a collector)

13 September, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This one is OK, but you should sample it first. It has a minty smell which last for about 4 to 5 hours. To me, it is one of those novelty scents. Nice fresh out of the shower fragrance. Couldn't see myself wearing this everyday.

29 August, 2012

Erok32's avatar

Pure shot reminds me of a B*Men sport in a sense. It's masculine, light, and resembles A*Men in no shape or form. i could see myself wearing this, but not for the price.

31st July, 2012

Sunsetspawn's avatar

How are you supposed to react to something so average when it shares its name with the triforce?

Whatever. Shot is a fresh fragrance that manages to not be aquatic, which is nice, I guess. There's a VERY slight sweet patchouli base which it shares with every A*Men product I've tried (never smelled Ice Men, but I'm willing to bet that has it as well). On top of this under-powered base is some spearmint and pepper. I don't like spearmint and I'm indifferent about pepper, so I knew this probably wouldn't be my thing. I'm also disappointed with the weak base. AND the longevity stinks as well.

I need to go try Ice Men.

15 April, 2012

fragrance-fetish's avatar

Most people either love or hate Mugler fragrances; especially with the Pure line, it's rare to find someone who's on the fence about them. Regardless what side you fall on, when you hear Mugler A*Men Pure, you're not going to think of something that's conservative and safe. But that's exactly what Pure Shot is, a safe fragrance. A very good safe fragrance, but still, a safe fragrance.

As for the fragrance, don't get me wrong, it's very nice and I like it a lot. I'll let others review the notes, but it's a good mint scent that's a very good choice for the office on warm Spring day. If you like mint scents, you won't be disappointed.

But that's where the problem with this lies. It's something that's safe enough to wear to an office. While I'm happy he made something that doesn't contain the expected A*Men DNA, I would not expect it to be a clean, conservative, and inoffensive. That's why I'm giving it a neutral rating even though this is probably going to be one of my go-to scents this Spring. I wanted something more in your face.

The A*Men line conjures up images of rebelliousness, risk taking, daring, and people taking sides on if they love it or hate it. Those are not things this fragrance brings to mind. If he released this outside of the A*Men line and just called it something like "Mugler Shot", I think would certainly give it a thumbs up.

They can't all be winners.

12 April, 2012

Longlost00's avatar

Mint and juniper with the patchouli showing up after about 3 minutes and lasting only 10. Great smell, but longevity is the big issue here.

They should include a belt hook on the bottle so you can keep it close for reapplication throughout the day. This is a skin scent after about 45-60 minutes and dies completely after about 2 hours.

I'll stick with Roadster for my neverending minty scent.

21st March, 2012

Buysblind's avatar

Pure Shot is okay. It's a clean, fresh scent with light mint and juniper up top and just a little bit of spice via the sequoia wood (that at times smells like b.o.). It is soapy and slightly sweet. For the first hour or so Pure Shot projects well and creates a nice sillage that is icy cool and appealing. However, the scent dies very quickly, and then you're left with nothing but a thin trace of what was. Longevity, is about 2 hours max on me. I'm still waiting to wear it in the warm weather when I hope it fairs better, but I'm just not that impressed with the scent overall--it's simple and forgettable and in my opinion, not worth the $85 price tag. I'm giving this a neutral rating because when I can smell it, Pure Shot is pleasant enough and there's nothing necessarily off-putting about it. However, it's just not very good.

12 March, 2012

wilburntv's avatar

It smells like Tide laundry detergent. Very safe for the summer weather, but no character whatsoever. Undeserving of the "Pure" line.

26 February, 2012

Suave Scenter's avatar

In the top the Freezing mint and Juniper berry give off a very cool and fresh sensation. The mint is not a natural mint like in Live Jazz but even though synthetic it is rather good. The Juniper berry gives a piney sweetness to the fragrance but not in a cloying way. After about 15 minutes the white pepper comes in and this is where the fragrance really shines. The white pepper is extraordinary in its smoothness and gives depth to fragrance. It is not brash like the pepper in Marc Jacobs Bang or Burberry the Beat. It combines with the freezing mint and juniper berry to create a spicy fresh scent. The dry down gives way to an excellent sequoia wood and patchouli combination that is also done very well. At this point the pepper dies down into the background. I particularly enjoy the woody sweet sequoia note and appreciate the fact that the patchouli is not overpowering.

This stuff is very versatile and I could see someone wearing this all year round due to the fresh spicy combo. This is a mature scent in my opinion. I don't see high school students wearing this but college and up should pull this off just fine.

Now for the cons. I am a disappointed at the resemblance of this fragrance to Ice Men. Add juniper berry, a little white pepper and sequoia in the base to Ice Men and you have Pure Shot. Also the longevity on this stuff is embarrassing when compared to some of the other Pure series. I only get about 4 hours currently. The projection and sillage of this stuff is average. The price point for this fragrance is also way too high for what it offers. $85 for this fragrance is a rip off given its similarities to Ice Men which can be had for $30 and its staying power. Unless this stuff comes down in price it will have to a pass in my book.

19 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 February, 2012)