Reviews of A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

silentrich's avatar

I've completely changed my mind about Pure Shot after wearing it for almost a full year now. When I first reviewed it I didn't give it enough wearings and wrote it off as a weak fresh scent that Mugler screwed up. After wearing this for awhile I can say that this is one of the best summer fragrances I've worn. It's extremely fresh and has a really clean almost soapy vibe going on. The juniper berry gives it a little bit of sweetness and I really enjoy the woods in the base. Projection is deceiving with this. It doesn't have a big scent bubble, but it leaves a nice sillage. It's consistent projection and it lasts longer than I expected. This might be for everyone, but if you live in a warm climate Pure Shot will shine.

26 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2013)

surge's avatar

What a terrible fragrance;
    I never cared for A*Men, or all the ridiculous flankers that sell for 6 months and get pulled, and then go for $300 on ebay; but I don't think any of them are actually bad scents.

Pure Shot really is a *bad* scent....it's just terrible all around.
    Bad opening, poor longevity and projection, and bad drydown.

Overall just not a pleasant scent...There's body sprays that go for $10 that smell better and last longer than this. $85? What a joke...

They should rename this to Pure Sh*t :P

26 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2012)

Nosey49's avatar

Nothing special.The first four hours for me is a somewhat an unpleasant smell. After that, a very faint, pleasant soapy smell. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for those who expect another grourmond.

22 March, 2012

Longlost00's avatar

Mint and juniper with the patchouli showing up after about 3 minutes and lasting only 10. Great smell, but longevity is the big issue here.

They should include a belt hook on the bottle so you can keep it close for reapplication throughout the day. This is a skin scent after about 45-60 minutes and dies completely after about 2 hours.

I'll stick with Roadster for my neverending minty scent.

21st March, 2012

spcmiller's avatar

Pure Shot tried to ruin my life!

I tried this about 2 hours ago at the Nordstrom @ Fashion Place Mall. It came screaming out of the bottle, with very medicinal and strong top notes. And then, just when I thought it was over, the dry down reminds me of Brill hair gel or something of that nature. I am so glad I didn't blind buy this: I would be pissed that I wasted $85!

16 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2012)

Buysblind's avatar

Pure Shot is okay. It's a clean, fresh scent with light mint and juniper up top and just a little bit of spice via the sequoia wood (that at times smells like b.o.). It is soapy and slightly sweet. For the first hour or so Pure Shot projects well and creates a nice sillage that is icy cool and appealing. However, the scent dies very quickly, and then you're left with nothing but a thin trace of what was. Longevity, is about 2 hours max on me. I'm still waiting to wear it in the warm weather when I hope it fairs better, but I'm just not that impressed with the scent overall--it's simple and forgettable and in my opinion, not worth the $85 price tag. I'm giving this a neutral rating because when I can smell it, Pure Shot is pleasant enough and there's nothing necessarily off-putting about it. However, it's just not very good.

12 March, 2012

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Strange how, smelling something in a line of successes, I try to rationalize a way into finding beauty or ingenuity in an overtly clean and synthetic mix of notes eminating from your forearm.

Try as I might, and as promising as it sounds, my final verdict can be summed up in five simple letters:

GROSS

08 March, 2012

elmatador75's avatar

I just purchased this. From the outset, this does not resemble any of its A*Men brethren. I was pleasantly surprised by the distinct character of this offering: it is a blast of freshness, but not green. Rather, it is a blast of white summer light. I suppose it may qualify for the "Sport" category, but it shares nothing of the aqua and sugar that plague the genre. Instead, the fragrance presents a mild chlorine opening and settles into a nicely balanced and well pronounced patchouli that brings this fragrance back to earth. Therefore, a brief description is: fresh shower feeling after a swim in a pool, followed by a faintly sweet and metallic base that takes command elegantly. The quality ingredients typical of Mugler's products are here as well. True, this frag may be deemed a bit too "chemical" for some, but if you are patient, you will be rewarded with a unique daytime fragrance that does not resemble anything available in the market. I give it an 8.5. It would have been a 9 but for the 4 hour duration of the fragrance. Originality is part and parcel to Mugler. His latest work further confirms. *****UPDATE: an hour into this you will notice the juniper waking to greet you with a melodically soft and slightly soapy/floral bouquet: imagine Mugler Cologne with low voltage. Nice. I always thought Clogne was a bit too loud and missing a firm basenote to balance the top notes. Here, Pure Shot rises to the occasion with wood and patchouli to anchor the juniper and chlorine-like mint. Very nice.

07 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2012)

cpp214's avatar

Mugler Cologne with some juniper/mint thrown in.
    Horrible projection, horrible longevity.

What a joke. Pass this one up and just go for Mugler Cologne
    and save yourself a chunk of money.

07 March, 2012

wilburntv's avatar

It smells like Tide laundry detergent. Very safe for the summer weather, but no character whatsoever. Undeserving of the "Pure" line.

26 February, 2012

mesaboogie's avatar

This new flanker from the A*Men line is the black sheep (white sheep?) of the family. There's no A*Men DNA in this one. For starters, it's not a gourmand. Whereas A*Men and the rest of the gang smell good enough to eat, Pure Shot smells good enough to wash your clothes with. Maybe it's b/c it starts off with a laundry detergent type smell. Upon first sniff I get a huge spearmint type smell. It's refreshing, but it also smells a little chemically. It reminds me of standing outside next to freshly washed clothes drying on a line in the backyard on a spring day while chewing spearmint flavored gum. The projection is pretty strong for the first hour or two. Unfortunately, longevity is another area where this is remarkably different from the rest of the A*Men. I get 4-5 hours before it is completely undetectable. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed by that, but the smell is actually very nice. It's definitely the most unique of the line. This is more of a casual, daily use cologne. I wouldn't wear this on a date or out to a night club b/c there's no romance in this one. The bottle itself if beautiful with it's shiny, smooth rubber flask. The sprayer sucks so I cut it like I did all the other flankers. It's nice to have in my collection, but not worth $85.

25 February, 2012

Suave Scenter's avatar

In the top the Freezing mint and Juniper berry give off a very cool and fresh sensation. The mint is not a natural mint like in Live Jazz but even though synthetic it is rather good. The Juniper berry gives a piney sweetness to the fragrance but not in a cloying way. After about 15 minutes the white pepper comes in and this is where the fragrance really shines. The white pepper is extraordinary in its smoothness and gives depth to fragrance. It is not brash like the pepper in Marc Jacobs Bang or Burberry the Beat. It combines with the freezing mint and juniper berry to create a spicy fresh scent. The dry down gives way to an excellent sequoia wood and patchouli combination that is also done very well. At this point the pepper dies down into the background. I particularly enjoy the woody sweet sequoia note and appreciate the fact that the patchouli is not overpowering.

This stuff is very versatile and I could see someone wearing this all year round due to the fresh spicy combo. This is a mature scent in my opinion. I don't see high school students wearing this but college and up should pull this off just fine.

Now for the cons. I am a disappointed at the resemblance of this fragrance to Ice Men. Add juniper berry, a little white pepper and sequoia in the base to Ice Men and you have Pure Shot. Also the longevity on this stuff is embarrassing when compared to some of the other Pure series. I only get about 4 hours currently. The projection and sillage of this stuff is average. The price point for this fragrance is also way too high for what it offers. $85 for this fragrance is a rip off given its similarities to Ice Men which can be had for $30 and its staying power. Unless this stuff comes down in price it will have to a pass in my book.

19 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 February, 2012)