Reviews of A*Men Pure Energy / A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

I cannot speak for the longevity of this fragrance as I just now received my sample in the mail. At first spray, this juice has a horrible smell similar to a cologne/perfume a child would receive in a toy makeup kit from the 1970's.
Luckily, I only have a sample.
Gross, nasty, sickening opening.
It also smells like someone spilled cologne in an antique wooden drawer 40 years ago.
16th June, 2015
There is a lot of hate for this fragrance and I believe it's just because it carries the name and bottle look of a very unique characteristic fragrance but it has nothing to do with it!
The opening of this fragrance is a very green minty smell along with fresh and tart fruity scent that feels kind of like citruses. mint has a very green and herbal feeling here which is very lovely.

In the mid mint goes in the background and I can still smell that fresh, tart and slightly sweet fruity scent but now some patchouli joins in. patchouli here has no earthy aroma but I can definitely feel the damp aura of it. it's a very transparent and kind of green take of patchouli with watery damp feeling but not earthy at all.

The base of the fragrance is a fresh fruity (tart and sweet at the same time) scent with very bright woods and extremely soft floral note that smells very pleasant and remind me of something that I've smelled before but just can't remember what it was!
The base of the fragrance in my opinion is the best part of it.
Projection is average and longevity is around 4 hours on the skin.
Nothing new or special but solid fresh scent.
02nd May, 2015
Salutation.

A* MEN PURE SHOT is simply “Mannish Fragrance” with a tone of sobriety and calmness.a really pleasant scent,less synthetic than others summery scents.It is a safe fragrance to wear if your going to be around a lot of people and run the risk of being overbearing to the sensitive noses.clean and fresh,like a beautiful morning where green mixes with the blue sea. Refreshing, Aromatic,Enjoyable,Casual,Modern, Inoffensive,Uplifting and Delightful.

The mint mixes deliciously with cardamom and pepper in the heart notes while dry down woods stir up with sequoia and patchouli to result in an easy,friendly fragrance that can be enjoyed yer round and which transitions well into the office.the opening is so lovely and aromatic.A* MEN PURE SHOT is for a modern man.The packaging and bottle are stylish.if you are looking for a fresh and soft scent of THIERRY MUGLER this is a nice choice for SPRING and SUMMER.

Sillage?Average.

Longevity?Could be better.

6.75/10
18th April, 2015

Frosted patchouli.
17th April, 2015
Tmoran Show all reviews
I cant give this a thumbs down nor can I give it a thumbs up. Its just meh. Its not a bad smell. Its just terribly linear and boring. My biggest complaint is there seems to be a trend with houses using juniper berry in fragrances marketed as sport scents. I dont find juniper berry in the least bit fresh nor sporty. The last fragrance I experienced with juniper berry like this was gucci pour homme sport and that literally makes me want to vomit. The real reason though Im not giving this a thumbs down is because while I am definitely not a fan of juniper berry its done well enough here that I can tolerate it. As it dries down (5 - 10 minutes. Its quick in bed, lol) it gets more pleasant. I wouldnt call it generic but it definitely not what you expect from Thierry mugler which is actually get the unexpected. I think their biggest mistake was marketing this as a "pure" flanker. They probably felt it would improve sales but fragrance fans arent stupid. The pure series is popular because the stuff is just flat out good. It had nothing to do with marketing. IMHO pure malt, pure havane and even TOF are masterpieces. This? More like a chicken scratch doodle on a napkin.
26th June, 2014
Nothing really special. In a nutshell.. this is a stripped down version of B*Men, with a little added mint. Projection is ok, longevity is pretty poor for a Mugler.. 5 hours tops. Got a partial bottle through a swap, glad I didn't buy this one. If you like B*Men, but find it too sweet, or don't like the rhubarb and coffee notes, you'll like this.
17th June, 2014
The mint-freshness of the opening with its juniper vibe is nice, as is the light white pepper note. Later a wood impression with a patchouli that is very restrained on my skin. Whilst the summery
top notes are convincing, the rest is quite mediocre. Limited silage and projection with three hours of longevity.
12th February, 2014
I tested Pure Shot eight or nine times over 10 weeks, as it was going for a reasonable price in a shop I visited. I really wanted to like it, because the bottle was so sharp looking.

However, it reminded me of some notes in A*men for about 20 seconds, then turned to something green, which just did not grab me, despite sniffing it all day long afterwards (the scent does has excellent longevity).

It plainly had next to nothing to do with the other "Pures" I had tested (i.e. Malt, Havane and Leather), and I had to pass on it for now.
Regards.

22nd November, 2013
cerjr Show all reviews
Good scent value

This definitely has the Aventus signature, but is a lighter, more easily wearable fragrance. On a hot summer day when you want to smell unique, this is the one for you. I first smelled it in Germany, and ended up ordering it a few months later at home. Very glad that I did.

Pros: Great fresh scent
Cons:

09th June, 2013
Try it for yourself.

It took me awhile to warm up to Pure Shot and was even more of a reach as a blind buy. When I first tested it back when it was released I didn't care for it at all due to the projection and longevity issues. The fragrance itself smells of juniper berries and woods, but it has a really nice clean soapy quality to it. This is one of my go to summer fragrances and I really enjoy wearing this. The projection and longevity aren't great, but sillage is good. Overall this is a nice summer fragrance that gets a bad rap for being wrongly put in the A*men Pure line.

Pros: Fantastic smell.
Cons: Projection and longevity are less than stellar.

21st May, 2013
Really nice stuff....

I could care less about the negativity. It has an Aventus vibe combining fruit and patchouli - and that hits me in my personal sweet spot. I dig it and hope it stays around. It's in a unique category...and can't be judged alongside its flankers. Totally different.
23rd February, 2013
Not a fan. This smells like every sports deodorant I've ever smelled. It is a pleasant cooling scent, but generic. I would've expected this from Adidas. I use this only when I workout.
24th December, 2012
Some will praise it, some will bash it, I'll do neither but I do like it quite much. Sure there's no coffee here, no chocolate and no creaminess. It's quite zesty, cold and sort of fresh. Reminds me a lot of Guerlain L'eau and Boisee but A*Men Pure Shot is less refined and much sharper, sort of like a loud bully when compared to the former mentioned. I myself thought about bashing it myself but after one hour I found it to be pleasant, likeable and soothing. I wouldn't rush to buy it, but if it could be obtained cheaply then I'd buy it without thinking twice.
17th December, 2012

Pointing thumbs southward after sniffing this offering from Mr Mugler seems, to me, to be a bit of a bandwagon affair. If one is prepared to judge this fragrance in its own right and not against its brothers in the Pure line, whilst simultaneously judging the sillage and longevity separately from that boasted by its father, the mighty A*Men, then one should be able to force oneself to concur that it is in fact a very pleasant smelling juice.

I like it anyway!

And I do detect a hint of the original A*Men DNA in the dry-down. Go figure.
16th December, 2012
I love the fact in the beginning of this review page its a ton of NEGATIVE feedbacks.....Now you see the tides turning a bit since the hype is now gone.....This is a quality scent point blank.
It is a very fresh smelling fragrance from the A*Men series and quite a bit different from the other flankers. It is minty and the longevity to me on my skin ios about 7-9 hours. To me....this is good good stuff!
Thank you Mugler for this Set of Flankers!!!
10th December, 2012
For me this is heaven! I adore the combination of the delectable coolness of the mint, the woodsy bittersweetness provided by the sequoia and juniper and the tempered spiciness from the white pepper. I associate it with winter. It’s cool and warm at the same time, like sitting in front of the fire with snow falling outside. Comes with Mugler’s signature potency.

I am unfamiliar with the rest of the A*Men “Pure” range, so I’m afraid I cannot compare.
23rd November, 2012
This one smells like a sort of mix of the classic A*Men and Ice*Men with hints of the B*Men's final ambery woodiness. I detect for sure a sort of aromatic bombastic patchouli (less heady than in A*Men anyway) but the honeyed/chocolatey vibe is far subdued. The averagely intoxicating beginning is highly citrusy and minty due to the link of juniper and mint, a sort of aromatic/lemony and peppery Mojito which stands out for a while without traces of mellifluence. After a bit of time the heady patchouli starts taking the scene with its moderate touch of rising creaminess which keeps anyway to be minty and aromatic till almost the end. Going on with the time the elements fade in strength and the final outcome becomes a soft aromatic white (barely soapy) whiff with a dominant patchouli. This is an easy unpretentious spring time office scent for those daring enough to experience these kind of scents. Not for me but not a disaster.
09th November, 2012 (last edited: 25th May, 2014)
I think the overall sense of peoples' negative reaction to this fragrance is because they had high expectations and compared it to the other Pure flankers. Once you separate this fragrance from the rest of the Mugler line and look at it from an independent point of view, I think people would realize it's average/okay.

Is it a disappointment compared to other flankers? Yes. This one sticks out like a sore thumb. Unlike the other flankers, it's not gourmand/boozy at all. It's a typical run of the mill sport fragrance.

Is it over priced? Absolutely. Definitely not worth the $85 asking price. IMO, it's actually laughable that they would price it that high. The most I'd pay for it is $45. I'm actually surprised it hasn't made its way to Fragrancenet yet.

But putting all that aside and examining the fragrance for what it is, I would say it's just "okay". I think it's a good fragrance to wear in the Spring & Summer. I would consider this a "safe" fragrance, and not off-putting.

Word to the wise, NEVER blind buy. This fragrance is a prime example of that. I'm glad I sampled this, saved me a lot of money.
24th October, 2012 (last edited: 25th October, 2012)
A smooth, sweet mint with what is essentially A*Men Light. Some tar, some chocolate (After Eightish, though it won't immediately strike you as that) and even some patchouli later in the day, especially in colder weather. Lasts ok (though ok in Mugler terms is well above average by other perfume standards). The best bit is it doesn't get cloying, even in the sweltering 90 degree heat here. Kudos for taking it easy on a classic, Thierry.
20th September, 2012
PS starts off with a berry/minty vibe, the berry smelling kind of green earthy im guessing thats the juniper. Now the minty note does have a slight menthol feel like other reviews have stated but just slighty(on my skin at least). I gotta say though on paper this smells much sweeter, on my skin it smells mostly fresh and cool/clean with some sweetness. A hint of the white pepper in the background starts to come out not to long after the opening i'd say 20-30 mins in. The mint is gone within 40 mins or so(but still smells very frsh) then it gets sweeter at wich point the pepper and cardamom come out completely giving it a nice sweet and spicy mix, not gourmandish though. Its a pretty linear scent after that and to be quite honest i get a hint of patchouli at the very end but just a hint wich for me was about 4-5 hrs in.

This stuff lasted 7 hrs on my skin but it became a close skin scent after about 2hrs wich i didn't like.

Overall its a nice fragrance though best suited for spring or cooler summer days imo. I really can't compare this to the rest of the pure series since i only have pure malt,and a sample of A*men.

They do smell alike but this doesn't smell anything like those 2 anyway for the price i'd rather just get something else for the hot weather instead of PS (unless your a collector)

13th September, 2012
This one is OK, but you should sample it first. It has a minty smell which last for about 4 to 5 hours. To me, it is one of those novelty scents. Nice fresh out of the shower fragrance. Couldn't see myself wearing this everyday.
29th August, 2012
Erok32 Show all reviews
Pure shot reminds me of a B*Men sport in a sense. It's masculine, light, and resembles A*Men in no shape or form. i could see myself wearing this, but not for the price.
31st July, 2012
Davem81 Show all reviews
The fragrance itself, while it lasts, is actually quite nice - albeit still a way short of the other A-men flankers. Cool, minty & perfectly pleasant.

The lasting power and projection, however, are quite feeble. This leads to disappointment for me, despite quite liking the scent itself. I also agree that it is somewhat overpriced, even though we aren't talking mega money niche prices. It's the overall disappointment that cause me to think this.

Once I've used up my sample, I won't be buying a bottle, even for collection purposes. In summary it's not awful, it's just disappointing.
22nd July, 2012
PS begins with the top notes of freezing mint and juniper. The juniper is the stronger note, as it is just a heavy note seemingly wherever I smell it. But the mint doesn’t back down too far. It is still there, and it provides a bit of a chill. These notes last for quite a while, eventually to recede into a spicy white pepper note followed by the weak base notes of sequoia wood and patchouli. I find these base notes almost nonexistent, surely to be missed by anyone who is not trying to sniff you.

I have to say this is the first fragrance where I have done a complete 180. I absolutely hated this fragrance when I first tried it and resonated with those who gave a thumbs down review. I was in solidarity with everything they said. But upon my second wearing, I didn’t hate it as much. After a couple more times, I just had to admit that I really liked PS. I think what really bothered me was the initial juniper note. I wasn’t crazy about juniper, although PS really helped me to learn to en joy it. But I didn’t ‘get’ the juniper note. The marketing of PS and the look of the bottle and the bright blue color of the star gave me the impression that this was a summer scent, made for hot weather. Initially juniper just didn’t seem like the right note for that. The juniper that complements the freezing mint in the top notes gives this fragrance an overall autumnal feeling – something that “can” be worn in warm weather, but that overall is probably better suited to autumn. This would also pass in spring weather, and probably in summer as well, but I felt like the marketing for this and the actual notes were a bit askew.

Nevertheless, with that said, I suppose I understand the negative reviews. When I first smelled this, I never thought I would learn to enjoy this. I think it’s definitely worth trying a decanted sample. I’m not sure how much a full bottle costs now or if there are many left for sale.
17th July, 2012
Tony T Show all reviews
i paid 115 dollars for mine blindly and regret every dollar i spent. very soft minty frag that does nothing. for a green go with paul smith or mont blanc presence and save your self the embarrasment of this dismal scent..
26th June, 2012
Pure UK Show all reviews
What a waste of money this stuff is! To me it smells like a £1 mint shower gel that lasts all of 1 - 1 1/2 hours on me. Its a toss up which is the worst for longevity PS or Burberry london?

I got my bottle from some small perfume shop in Paris in a deal with another frag. I think I paid about 25euro for PS. I was ripped off!
The only thing I like about it is the bottle. I might drain it and use it as a xmas decoration.

26th May, 2012
The way I see it, there's two ways to approach this fragrance. One can choose to look at it independent of the other A*Men flankers and try to judge it by itself. Alternatively, one can compare it to the rest of the flankers and decide whether or not they like it.

My take is: no matter how you judge this thing, it's just horrifying. Now, I choose to compare this thing to the other A*Men flankers, which I happen to like very much. My gosh, how much more could you possibly screw up the entire A*Men line? This is nothing like any of the other Pures. It's not sweet, it's not spicy, it's not interesting. If anything, this is musty. I realize that this is supposed to be an interpretation of mint, the same way Havane is cigars, Malt is whiskey, and so on. Well, problem number one was that when I first smelled this, I didn't really pick up the mint note at all. I don't think this does mint any justice at all.

This is bizarre. It conjures the mental connotation of a dusty old attic. Or like something died. Forget longevity, forget projection. The scent itself is disgusting. Pure Shot is the phantom menace of the fragrance world.
25th May, 2012 (last edited: 28th May, 2012)
mgrz Show all reviews
Love this! I originally thought this would be the classic A-Men flanker, but was more than pleasantly surprised! No hint of the original in this. I'm not sure of what's grabbing my attention in this, but I think it's something reminiscent of B-Men (sequoia I think) that's mixed in here with mint and plastic and I don't know what, but it's returning me to the bottle, this cool white rubber-covered bottle, ever since. I'm wearing this to work every day since picking it up, and it lasts the full day. Bravo Mugler! This feels like a winterized, or heavier "cologne" to me. People may 'thumbs-down' this for lack of "A-Men" genes, but I feel like it's a welcome departure for the 'pure' line. Maybe most feel it should contain more 'A-Men', because of the title, but I think this fits!
14th May, 2012 (last edited: 18th December, 2014)
CoL Show all reviews
I am really surprised to see how many people dislike this! I love it! It's A*Men stripped right back then filled up with tingling fresh woods and a touch of mint. Classic A*Men lovers may not like this as it doesn't have anywhere near the weight. I can't wear the original as people run screaming from me (I cleared an elevator once!!) I do have it and tend to wear it around the house.

As for this, if you're looking a different summer scent or an A*Men 'light' have a go with this. Love the white plastic bottle with the classic blue star! It also lasts for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages! A friend also bought it after smelling it on me, he has red in his hair and red heads can break down fragrances quicker than others and change them quite dramatically but this doesn't at all. 4 sprays he wore and I could smell it from a good few feet away hours after application!
02nd May, 2012 (last edited: 23rd May, 2012)
I'M A BIG FAN OF THIERRY MUGLER COLOGNE, BUT THIS FALLS SHORT OF THE HOUSE, I DIDN'T LISTEN TO THE OTHER REVIEWS ABOUT THE LONGEVITY, BOY WAS I WRONG, I LIVE IN GA WHERE THE WEATHER IS WARM THE PURE SHOT DIDN'T LAST NO LONGER THAN 3 HOURS ON MY SKIN,THEY NEED TO REDO THIS PLUS DROP THE PRICE, I CAN'T SEE MYSELF PAYING ANOTHER $85 DOLLARS FOR THIS PLEASE LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS ABOUT PURE SHOT.
23rd April, 2012 (last edited: 02nd May, 2012)