Positive Reviews of Alien Essence Absolue by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Alien Essence Absolue by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Warm and ambery with just a touch of vanillic florals to take the resinous edge off the starring incense/ myrrh. Unfortunately nothing remotely animalic. By playing it safer ALIEN ESSENCE ABSOLUE is easily the more wearable, having jettisoned the distinctive if somewhat controversial personality of the original. While the flanker doesn't particularly stand out in the sea of floral-orientals it finds itself in, I can't deny it a thumbs up after such an enjoyable ride on its myrrh-driven undercurrents.

30th April, 2013

Virtue&Sin's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Dark, animalic, smokey and sweet-amber and woody oriental that takes your breath away!

Theaccord in between vanilla-amber- incense is a true star here, therefore this flanker is one of the more rich and complex, but far away from the rest of the originals from the Alien line (both EDP and EDT), with its jasmine-dominance. Challenging scent if you are not into loud fragrances, and a must-have for woody and oriental lovers.

Great longevity and high projection. Top quality and tasteful presentation.

10th February, 2013

Andyman's avatar

I really liked this and considered buying it, until I smelt the drydown. This was not a bad thing: it just smelled like a cross between JPG's Fleur de Male and Kenzo Amour Florale EDT, both of which I own, so I did not see any point in obtaining it after all. I do like it better than the original Alien. (Need I say it is very floral.)

Correction: I think the drydown of the original Alien smells more like than Fleur du Male and Amour Florale than this (did I get my tester cards mixed up??). On smelling this again a few days later, I note a strong vanilla presence, and I thought it also contained food like caramel, but I am obviously mistaken.

13 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2012)

SteelerOpera's avatar

I am loving this one! I have taken the trip down to women's fragrances and worn it at work 2 times so far and it's been great! I agree with the previous reviewer who says that this is easy for a man to wear, quite easy. I love the dry-down where I perceive a very classy root beer :) I wish I could afford a bottle of this right now, but at $100 an ounce I just can't do it with as bad as I have been lately in buying other things. Definitely a winner!

19 October, 2012

teardrop's avatar

England England

This is recognisably Alien, with a spicy, peppery edge to the opening, & the woods apparent quite early on. A few minutes in, a strong, marzipan-like note of heliotrope emerges, persisting for a good while, & almost veering a little powdery when the orris makes it's appearance. Through it all though, there's an intoxicating whiff of smoke, becoming stronger in the drydown of a rich, dark & smoky vanilla. l don't detect any animalic notes, but l've yet to wear this in the heat, which usually brings them out on my skin.
    This is very much an oriental version of Alien, & l would say, much easier for a man to wear than the original. lt's warmer, woodier, more golden, & more complex with its nuances of smoke & spice. Sillage & longevity are excellent. lt's deliciously plush & velvety, (with a nod to Mimi for her use of two of my favourite words!) & in my opinion the most swoon-worthy Alien flanker yet. Absolutely no regrets on this blind buy; an absolute must-try for all you Alien lovers out there!

08 August, 2012