Reviews of No. 19 Poudré by Chanel

Find out more about No. 19 Poudré by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Nefret's avatar

Lovely, edgeless

Chanel No. 19 is one of my perennial favorites; I don't think it gets old. If I had to pick one forever, well, that's it. The brisk leathery notes with sharper green were not entirely pared out, but they're certainly not in the forefront. The powdery musk that takes up the rest of the space holds no interest for me. There's nothing wrong with this pretty fragrance, except that I wanted to like it, and found it bland.

Pros: Easily wearable, feminine
    Cons: The original is better. As usual."

07 September, 2013

gmstrack's avatar

Trust Fund Baby

No 19 Poudre Chanel could be the shy, yet talented niece of Chanel 19. Auntie is wealthy (thanks to her own efforts) and has aged quite well; in fact, she takes a young lover from time to time, but never allows herself to be bothered with permanent attachments. Children (and some adults) who read "The Witches" by Roald Dahl cower in terror has she approaches. Her obsessive-compulsive disorder is apparent if one were to inspect her well-kept home: the space between the refrigerator and the wall doesn’t harbor a speck of dust, and of course her lingerie wardrobe is organized and color coded. We will not discuss her Chanel handbag collection. The young niece, on the other hand, is a straight-A student studying art history at NYU and lives in a small bohemian loft. Her elegant, yet relaxed appearance draws everyone who meets her in for a closer look. She has a couple of confidantes whom she shares her bed with, but prefers to maintain friendships instead of settle down. She spends her spare time volunteering at soup kitchens and hanging out with friends at trendy cafes and bars. In spite of her art degree, she knows that she will land a decent job immediately after graduation—auntie will make sure of it.

Mediocre longevity; wears close to the skin; I can’t help but like it. 3.5/5

18 June, 2013

perfumebox's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I'm one of the few people who likes BOTH the original AND the Poudre versions of No 19 equally.
    I might get stoned for this bit of blasphemy (ducking) but I actually find Poudre resembles the pure parfum version of original No 19 more than either the tangier EDP or the dryer, mossier EDT.
    It's softer, with more pronounced florals and an underlying butteriness; less of the leathery-green bite that makes No 19 a little masculine. Some people consider original 19 to be more powdery than 19 Poudre, but I don't get that. 19 Poudre just has a different kind of powderiness, a lower-pitched fuzziness created by soft musks which aren't present in original 19. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason they don't smell it since many people are anosmic to musks.
    I won't consider this a "sophisticated" scent by any means, but it's clean, green, and lovely.

14 November, 2012

truman0907's avatar

No lasting power. Pleasant but not great.

21st October, 2012

tuittumurmeli's avatar

Finland Finland

I received a bottle as a gift from my SO last autumn. I had, actually, wished for the original No. 19. Alas, I soon learned to love the new edition. Its tone is so caressing, soft and sensual, yet its also very restrained and elegant. Whereas the original No. 19 is to me a fresh, brisk green one and a great perfume by itself, compared to Poudré the original conveys the image of Honoria from the Jeeves and Wooster series: it feels sharp, perky and girl scout like. I do not have anyone casted for Poudré, but although I can find the original's elementary notes from it, Poudré has them veiled behind a chiffon layer of poudery iris. I found myself pairing the Poudré with cashmere knits on icy cold winterdays. Both felt equally soft and tender.

19 July, 2012

purplebird7's avatar

This is the first review? I wonder why. Maybe because this is a good perfume, but it doesn't seem fair to name it No. 19, which is better by a long shot. Yet, this new perfume is a beautiful iris fragrance. It has no rose. I repeat, no rose at all. That is the biggest difference between it an its namesake.

Maybe people get nervous when Chanel names something after a scent we already love and are afraid of losing because it keeps getting reformulated. The last bottle of No. 19 EDT that I bought was still a graceful green, leafy galbanum-breathtaking iris, and wild pink rose combination on a light woody, vetiver, and musk base. It was celedon green in color, unlike the original No. 19, which was infinitely more leather. Still I love the green EDT. They stopped carrying it at department stores. Okay, enough paranoia about my beloved No. 19 being taken away. I'll shut up now.

No. 19 Poudre is an iris scent. It smells like it is focused on one faction of No. 19 EDT. It goes on with a big, earth-like waft of iris absolute. I love that stuff! It smells gorgeous; it makes me smile. Iris smells like rain-washed dirt--like dry ground that has been quenched by a rainstorm. That has to be one of the best smells in the world. Iris absolute is an expensive ingredient, and I don't think anyone can succeed in imitating it artificially. The iris in No. 19 Poudre is supported by the happy, little floral note of hyacinth. The fruitiness is minimal, but it's well-chosen, orange leaning toward woodiness. All of it rests on a soft, clean musk base. Very refreshing, with the carrot-y sweetness of iris fading along with the rest. It isn't very tenacious, though. The powdery smell associated with iris, if it persists for a long time, is a synthetic supporting note. The real, earthy iris note goes away pretty fast.

02 June, 2012