Positive Reviews of No. 19 Poudré by Chanel

My problem is with the name. There isn't sufficient connection to No. 19 but Chanel must have decided that an austere bitch must have a softer side. In my horticulture training a group of us tackled a massive pile of Iris rhizomes, discarding the spent and trimming up the new offshoots for replanting. When Chris Sheldrake narrates the Iris Poudre you tube clip it's as if I'm there again; I can't deny the manual labour required to produce my favourite base, iris butter. I simply don't understand the austere, heartless bitch reputation of Chanel No 19, the embryo, in some influential minds, being Gabrielle herself. Instead, think Piaf and La Vie en Rose.

Actually I'm not objective enough to pull Iris Poudre to its marshmallow bits, so I just have to agree with the others, and put myself on a lover's cross, wear it most days, saving the original No.19 for higher heels and repartee with a male chauvinist.
16th July, 2017 (last edited: 30th August, 2017)
It takes only a single spray of No. 19 Poudre on one's wrist and studying it over the next ten hours to understand why Chanel has been the darling of so many women over so many decades. No. 19 Poudre is a brilliantly crafted floral centred around iris. There is intially a hint of citrus, followed by an accord of iris and galbanum. The long dry down is a gorgeous musk. Not dirty musk, not laundry musk - just a fresh, slightly sweet musk that smells like clean human skin.

It's hard to believe how the same company pumps out inane masculine 'colognes' (Allure, Bleu, Platinum Egoiste) year after year.

No. 19 Poudre is elegant, sophisticated but also very modern and approachable, and not too elaborate. It's unmistakably Chanel. Unlike some other Chanels, it also has adequate sillage and excellent longevity.

01st July, 2017
I recently bought my Mum a bottle of No19 Poudre, as she fancied a green fragrance for summer. As soon as I smelled it on her I knew it reminded me of something, but I couldn't think what. Today, one of my friends was wearing Mugler Cologne - the first time I've smelled it for at least ten years, and it smells identical to No19 Poudre on my Mum. I don't know if the two fragrances would be quite so similar on everyone, but I really can't tell the two apart. My Mum likes her No19 Poudre very much; her only complaint is that it doesn't last more than a few hours on her skin, and she has to reapply it. The sillage, however is good; when I visit my Mum, I know immediately when she's wearing it as soon as I go into the house.

I haven't tried my Mum's No19 Poudre on my skin, but when I sniff the bottle, it makes me think of a more modern take on No19; ie. original No19 with the addition of tonka and white musk - thankfully, and perhaps rather surprisingly, no vanilla. However, when my Mum wears it, it is exactly like Cologne on my friend!

A very pleasant, modernised version of No19; however, for myself, I prefer the original - particularly the Parfum strength. As I have stated in some of my other reviews of Chanel fragrances, I am really not a fan of Jacques Polge's perfumes; No19 Poudre, and No18 are, in my opinion, definitely his best to date.
17th June, 2017

The magic of 19 Poudré is a perfect mix of Chanel's trademark lemon champagne aldehydes and happy old-fashioned talcum powder. It's a beautiful fireworks display that has a classic appeal without ever smelling old.

After the sparkles die down, I'm left with a pleasant smudge of lemony vetiver, but this is engineered like an eau de cologne, where the fun is in the topnotes, while the rest is weak enough to allow for constant reapplication through the day.

Longevity fanatics should look elsewhere (I'd suggest No. 19 extrait with its hours of rich iris and vetiver), as should those who don't care for loud powder, but for those who enjoy a blast of perfectly orchestrated aldehydes, Poudré may well become a favorite.
07th February, 2017
I am a huge lover of Chanel #19 poudre'! I own both #19 and this one! I wear this one, i love to own the #19 as a collector! I am not sure why: they both are dry cyphre which makes them immediately suitable to both ladies & gents in my humble opinion. Poudre' has a truly more powdery warmth that comes to mind as sensual and less uptight, more casual and yet extremely elegant, because this scent for me is special also for a peculiar quality: it lets you make of it anything you may be capable of with your personality, without taking away, but always enhancing, with everlasting class.
02nd October, 2015
Respect to Messrs Polge and Sheldrake. An unequivocal triumph.

Still recognisably Chanel 19 but the many heads of the dewy, cold, limpid green flowers have been decapitated and in their place sits the soothing butter-powder of the stout iris rhizome which tames 19's incisive icy greenness, softening and diffusing it along the length and breadth of the perfume to create a more relaxed, girlish, expansive, less austere and uptight demeanour than the original 19. Poudre smiles warmly where 19 arches an eyebrow; in short Poudre is more wearable.

Less translucent than No 19, Poudre has heft but the obedient iris sits demurely in the shadow of the No 19 wood never shouting or attempting to upstage the No 19 master; for I have always felt that 19 had a "masculine" presence. Poudre nonetheless subdues the masculine with a quiet, vestal femininity. The iris also imparts an innocence to Poudre in contrast to No 19's aloof 'know it all' sophistication.

A kind of chaste warmth permeates the ambience - this is not the unbridled sensuality of an oriental but a wholesome and understated type. Its as if No 19 is the glade on a chilly spring day after the rain which is now suddenly warmed by the sun through the trees.

What character, grace and romantic loveliness! Perhaps I love Poudre because - as Perfumebox says - Poudre has more in common with No. 19 pure perfume than the other versions and because of that, I am reunited with my first fragrant love - Chanel No. 19 Pure Perfume, which I first met at 18 but which I have neglected for many years; too many years.

Its enough to bring a tear to your eye.
24th June, 2015
I came into my first experience with 19 Poudre expecting to be unimpressed. I was terribly wrong.

No. 19 stands alone - let's get that much straight! I love it, I adore it, and it will always be a scent not quite like another.

With that said, I adore this newer and less edgy scent. It is a compliment to its beginnings, rather than a distraction or an intrusion. Poudre stands alone, and deservedly so. Soft, buttery iris, powdery florals, perhaps white musk. A very pretty green scent that would make a nice addition to any wardrobe.
06th May, 2015
Very wearable perfume. Nonintrusive, intimate and outspoken at the same time. It's a soft, not too powdery green iris with a pinch of mineral freshness. A bit fuzzy during the powder phase, otherwise clear and structured. Excellent performance.
31st August, 2014 (last edited: 01st September, 2014)
Nefret Show all reviews
Lovely, edgeless

Chanel No. 19 is one of my perennial favorites; I don't think it gets old. If I had to pick one forever, well, that's it. The brisk leathery notes with sharper green were not entirely pared out, but they're certainly not in the forefront. The powdery musk that takes up the rest of the space holds no interest for me. There's nothing wrong with this pretty fragrance, except that I wanted to like it, and found it bland.

Pros: Easily wearable, feminine
Cons: The original is better. As usual."

07th September, 2013
Trust Fund Baby

No 19 Poudre Chanel could be the shy, yet talented niece of Chanel 19. Auntie is wealthy (thanks to her own efforts) and has aged quite well; in fact, she takes a young lover from time to time, but never allows herself to be bothered with permanent attachments. Children (and some adults) who read "The Witches" by Roald Dahl cower in terror has she approaches. Her obsessive-compulsive disorder is apparent if one were to inspect her well-kept home: the space between the refrigerator and the wall doesn’t harbor a speck of dust, and of course her lingerie wardrobe is organized and color coded. We will not discuss her Chanel handbag collection. The young niece, on the other hand, is a straight-A student studying art history at NYU and lives in a small bohemian loft. Her elegant, yet relaxed appearance draws everyone who meets her in for a closer look. She has a couple of confidantes whom she shares her bed with, but prefers to maintain friendships instead of settle down. She spends her spare time volunteering at soup kitchens and hanging out with friends at trendy cafes and bars. In spite of her art degree, she knows that she will land a decent job immediately after graduation—auntie will make sure of it.

Mediocre longevity; wears close to the skin; I can’t help but like it. 3.5/5

18th June, 2013
I'm one of the few people who likes BOTH the original AND the Poudre versions of No 19 equally.
I might get stoned for this bit of blasphemy (ducking) but I actually find Poudre resembles the pure parfum version of original No 19 more than either the tangier EDP or the dryer, mossier EDT.
It's softer, with more pronounced florals and an underlying butteriness; less of the leathery-green bite that makes No 19 a little masculine. Some people consider original 19 to be more powdery than 19 Poudre, but I don't get that. 19 Poudre just has a different kind of powderiness, a lower-pitched fuzziness created by soft musks which aren't present in original 19. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason they don't smell it since many people are anosmic to musks.
I won't consider this a "sophisticated" scent by any means, but it's clean, green, and lovely.
14th November, 2012
I received a bottle as a gift from my SO last autumn. I had, actually, wished for the original No. 19. Alas, I soon learned to love the new edition. Its tone is so caressing, soft and sensual, yet its also very restrained and elegant. Whereas the original No. 19 is to me a fresh, brisk green one and a great perfume by itself, compared to Poudré the original conveys the image of Honoria from the Jeeves and Wooster series: it feels sharp, perky and girl scout like. I do not have anyone casted for Poudré, but although I can find the original's elementary notes from it, Poudré has them veiled behind a chiffon layer of poudery iris. I found myself pairing the Poudré with cashmere knits on icy cold winterdays. Both felt equally soft and tender.
19th July, 2012
This is the first review? I wonder why. Maybe because this is a good perfume, but it doesn't seem fair to name it No. 19, which is better by a long shot. Yet, this new perfume is a beautiful iris fragrance. It has no rose. I repeat, no rose at all. That is the biggest difference between it an its namesake.

Maybe people get nervous when Chanel names something after a scent we already love and are afraid of losing because it keeps getting reformulated. The last bottle of No. 19 EDT that I bought was still a graceful green, leafy galbanum-breathtaking iris, and wild pink rose combination on a light woody, vetiver, and musk base. It was celedon green in color, unlike the original No. 19, which was infinitely more leather. Still I love the green EDT. They stopped carrying it at department stores. Okay, enough paranoia about my beloved No. 19 being taken away. I'll shut up now.

No. 19 Poudre is an iris scent. It smells like it is focused on one faction of No. 19 EDT. It goes on with a big, earth-like waft of iris absolute. I love that stuff! It smells gorgeous; it makes me smile. Iris smells like rain-washed dirt--like dry ground that has been quenched by a rainstorm. That has to be one of the best smells in the world. Iris absolute is an expensive ingredient, and I don't think anyone can succeed in imitating it artificially. The iris in No. 19 Poudre is supported by the happy, little floral note of hyacinth. The fruitiness is minimal, but it's well-chosen, orange leaning toward woodiness. All of it rests on a soft, clean musk base. Very refreshing, with the carrot-y sweetness of iris fading along with the rest. It isn't very tenacious, though. The powdery smell associated with iris, if it persists for a long time, is a synthetic supporting note. The real, earthy iris note goes away pretty fast.
02nd June, 2012