Positive Reviews of Legend by Michael Jordan

Find out more about Legend by Michael Jordan in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Legend is an attractive gourmand. Its opening has a controlled bergamot and lavender with anise subtly dominating on a base of white patchouli– even the anise is controlled. The opening pretty much sets the stage for the remainder of the fragrance – it doesn’t change very much after. The middle retains the anise and light patchouli and adds a very light tea note. I never do find a moss note that is supposed to be there. For the base, the anise still remains but the patchouli appears to have been replaced with a light musk. I think I pick up a trace of cedar and maybe coffee. This is a simple but extremely enjoyable fragrance. Legend is quite linear; it performs its task very well and is a very good deal for the money.

01st February, 2014

OCNBreeze7's avatar

Jordan scores a sweet bucket that becomes Legend(ary)...

I have a few of the MJ fragrances and this one may be the best of the lot... Total blind purchase and I am pleasantry surprised. There are some "nay sayers" out there that the fragrance is too sweet. It is sweet, but in my humble opinion, is the right masculine mix that doesn't cross the line. Out of the bottle, you get the top notes of vanilla or amber that settles to the sweeter musky notes that is easy on the nose. Nice work, MJ..

The projection, sillage, and longevity are average, perhaps a "smidgeon" (yes, I am a Southerner) better than average, that lasts about 4-5 hours on the skin and much longer on clothing - I usually give a spray to my undershirt and sleeve cuff to get that occasional whiff during the day. Legend is nice.. While I have only worn once, and no compliments were received, it has that potential. Sweetie, however, did give it a thumbs up providing the morning "smell test" prior to my departure to work. Additionally, she commented following when I told her it was a MJ fragrance, "it smells higher end than that.."

Legend provides great flexibility and versatility that can be worn just about anytime. The bottle and packaging are about average - I will add that of the MJ colognes I have, I think more could be spent on the nozzles. (ok, call me weird to notice the spray nozzles). I think they look cheaply made. I like a cologne bottle that looks great and gives the impression of a piece of art.

The price/value of this fragrance is very appealing. Given that it is a nice smelling scent, the price/value (less than $20 for a large bottle), definitely gets a strong endorsement for buying.

My final tally for MJ's Legend is 4.1 stars out of 5. It is a great scent that has above average longevity. The price is right with plenty of potential for the "Wow Factor".. Go for it..!! Life is great - remember that honesty and integrity can never be trained - they are in your makeup and earned..

11th May, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

101 for introduction to gourmands with this slightly creamy vanilla scent. Slightly sweet, this frag is pretty good for the price. The leather and patchouli are detected in the mid notes and a nice amount of amber makes this one you would want to check out.

Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself!

19 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself!

19 November, 2012

Tony T's avatar

gourmand and oriental lovers only. last a great while and very sweet ( ala pi jpg rochas man hanae mori) for the price and smell it can'tbe beat. very forst class scent for the budgeters!!!

29 October, 2012

timmy-j's avatar

This edc has more longevity and sillage than a lot of my more expensive edts'. Great sweet, but not overly sweet, and warm frag. Can't beat the price, I got my 3.4 oz for $15 at Burlington. Will be wearing this one a lot this winter. Some might not like the fact that this is a "celebrity" scent, but it doesn't bother me what's on the bottle, just what's in it. And I like what's in this bottle.

Edit: Recently found out that this is not an EDC, but rather a cologne spray, which for American fragrances is the same potency as an EDT.

28 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 November, 2012)

LA2000's avatar

Michael Jordan Legend was a blind buy for me, inspired entirely by the rock bottom Ross price of $12.99/100ml as well as the glowing reviews and threads on Basenotes and the constant positive comparisons to Bond's "New Haarlem." Now granted, I have never smelled "New Haarlem", but it has taken on mythic chocolate-y coffee proportions in my mind given the effusive praise it has received. So I figured why not. I'm always up for a good gourmand and I love a bargain.

Legend starts with a bright burst of bergamot and green tea, with a background of soft sweet vanilla chocolate coffee. This opening almost lost me entirely, because where I was expecting Starbucks straight out of the bottle, I got hit with an accord much more at home at the men's fragrance counter at Macy's. All of that bergamot tea seemed so...ordinary. It just felt like the opening of countless "modern" masculines with some vanilla choco-coffee sweetness added to change it up. It wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't what I was expecting, which was more of a full bore gourmand.

This bright, "cologne-y" aspect hangs around for a good hour, and as it finally begins to fade, the "gourmand" element really comes to the fore. For me, the chocolate is the big player, followed by lesser coffee and vanilla. This trifecta is presented on a bed of cedar, and what the notes refer to as "old leather" and the whole thing has a very elegant, subdued effect. This is NOT garish in the way one might find A*Men.

One thought on the "leather": This note does not read as "old" to me at all. In fact, I get more of a "sporting goods section" vibe from it - new leather baseball gloves and new rubber basketballs mingling in the air. It's quite appropriate given the brand, and provides an interesting, avant garde twist. And while those in the know compare this to "New Haarlem" or "Rochas Man", my experience suggests yet a different comparison:

Bulgari Black. Legend does not smell like Black per se, but it shares a similar approach to masculine "sweetness". Where Black layers vanilla tea over smokey rubber, Legend layers an iced macchiatto over the smell of freshly minted sporting good equipment. In both cases, the approach elevates an ordinary gourmand concept into something memorable, different, modern, and wearable.

26 October, 2012

Tfoster3310's avatar

Great fragrance. Its a sweet yet very masculine vanilla, chocolate, and coffee scent, a combination you cant beat. I have smelled all kinds of different scents since i started getting into fragrances and this is one of the best ive smelled yet. At 12.99 for a 3.4 oz at Ross stores, you cant go wrong with this one.

18 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 October, 2012)

Nosey49's avatar

I give this an unqualified "thumbs up."It's Rochas Man only much better, longer lasting, with a better drydown.

For the price you won't find anyting better. In fact, if you like gourmonds, you won't find many fragrances better than Legend at any price.

09 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2014)

shamu1's avatar

I didn't like this at first, but having worn it now a couple of times, I've come around to liking it.

It starts off ultra-sweet, like the opening of AMen or BMen, and is too sweet for me. It smells like caramel blended with capuccino, and very much like Rochas Man. If Legend stayed this sweet the entire time, I'd throw in the towel, because it's way too sweet for me.

The drydown is where it's at. It's extremely heavy on the amber, and I don't like amber, but there are also aromatic notes like patchouli and cedar that break up the sweetness and make the amber smell spicy and masculine. Together, they create a wonderful accord that smells just like good quality sandalwood - rich, deep and masculine.

MY RATING: 8/10

02 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2012)

Bigtruck260's avatar

After looking around for Rochas Man Intense, I gave up trying to find a bottle at a reasonable price....so I looked around and found out that some folks think this juice smells like it. THEY ARE CORRECT. I love Rochas Man, and so do my female clients and co-workers. The problem is, it doesn't last all that long on my skin. Today, I put one spray of Legend on each wrist and the stuff is marvelous. It's gourmand and the chocolate vibe is pretty good (though it's not listed in the pyramid) all the way through the workday. It's uncanny, really. It's also a bit cheaper than Rochas. Don't get me wrong - Rochas is still part of the wardrobe, but only for intimate occasions...Legend is for the masses.

13 June, 2012

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Why is there only one review before me? This is a Great scent!

Very cheap when compared to the scent that it is compared to- Bond's Haarlem or maybe Rochas Man.

Great life span on this one and great warm aroma, somewhere around the cocoa/coffee and nutmeg area.

What are you waiting on? Go out and try it!

13 May, 2012

Capone's avatar

absolute masterpiece its a semi gormorand with some vanilla, coffee and chocolate almost like rochas with a MUCH more aromatic and masculine character and the woodsy notes are very rich and give the drydown a great kick

when i first got a whiff i was like whoa and it really dried down nicely and gives great sillage, longevity and the quality of the scent really is great. highly recommended

22 February, 2012