Positive Reviews of M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jumpfrog's avatar

I have been wearing one version or another everyday, no matter what occasion, since 2008. It has never let me down. It is charming, refined, calm, and collected. There has been much debate between this and the previous version. To me, Oud Absolu is a little more "ambery" and little less "woody" than its predecessor. Which is a bit of a shame. However, it is still a legendary performer.

It opens with mandarin but this soon gives way to amber. The woodenness we all know and love joins the party after an hour or so. It lasts on me for 3-4 hours max. I wish it would last more.

It is a fantastic fragrance, however it's not for boys. Not for your Hollister/waxed type. It's for the confident professional - young or old - who appreciates the finer things in life and is comfortable to stand out from the crowd. It's for those comfortable in their own skin.

People say these oud fragrances are for winter or autumn only - I disagree. Indeed, it is perhaps in warmer climes where oud notes truly come into their own. Which is why they are so popular in the Middle East.

03 August, 2014 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2014)

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

A lot can change in 5 years.

This is the first review I have been compelled to leave here for a very long time. Through my years I have tried the original M7, owned a bottle of the reproduction, and, most recently have purchased a bottle of the Oud Absolu reissue.

My review of the original M7 was based on a sample I had which was great. I then went and bought myself a bottle to find it was a newer, reformulated (colourless glass with brown sticker), version. It was nice but too sweet and cloying.

I had the opportunity recently to try the Oud Absolu version which supposedly stayed truer to the original formulation. I can't remember the original sample I had but what I will say is that I feel that all the cloying sweetness if the reissue is gone in the Oud Absolu version but it holds the value of the original fragrance. Once again upon trying a sample this turned heads and this time I genuinely love everything about it too.

Warm and sensual without any overbearing synthetic notes. This lead to a full purchase.

Tastes can change over 5 years but YSL did a great job on this and have allowed me to say that I finally "get it".

25 July, 2014

OneTimeOnePlace's avatar

France France

First of all, this review is for both M7 Oud Absolu and original M7, as I think the two are very close. Oud Absolu is maybe a little bit more complex, and original M7 a bit darker, but they are so close to each other that i dont think necessary to write one review for each.

This, i think, is absolutely magnificent, i loved it at first whiff. This perfume is what drew me into fragrances. i remembered testing it for the first time at Sephora, and right from the start, i was struck by this medicinal, intoxicating, top note. This first note was a highlight for me, it said 'i'm not your usual fragrance, i'm something different, i'm something really special".

It IS something special, right from the begining you know it's gonna blow your mind. I'm not saying everone is going to like it, it has this medicinal top note that is strange in a way, that some people may find harsh (i personnaly love it), but wait for the dry down!!!

The drydown of this fragrance is something i would call heavenly, no other perfume can come close to what this does, it's woody, but deliciously woody, with a narcotic feel to it, it's probably the oud, mixed with labdanum, that makes this blend so addictive. Like someone said below, it has the strange ability to put me in a contemplative mood, and it's absolutely addictive in a deep, oriental, intoxicating way.

The longevity is 7-8 hours with this jewel, at the end of the drydown, the scent becomes more leathery and amberish. At this stage it doesn't project much but it will give you pleasant whiffs of leather and amber. The evolution of this perfume is like a dream, a wonderful one, and i've never smelled anything quite like it, it's a living thing, from the first intoxicating blast to the last whiff of amber.

It's my signature scent for the cold days, i noticed that the colder it is, the better, winter is when this fragrance shines in all its glory. You could wear it in the summer, but then the oud is a bit stronger, making it a little harsh, i personnaly love it anytime of the year.

20/20 Perfect/Masterpiece, thanks Alberto Morillas/Jacques Cavallier

21st April, 2014

I love M7 – the original version. I own two bottles. I wasn’t expecting much from M7 Oud Absolu, but I do appreciate it. I enjoy the fact that the opening cherry cough syrup note is toned down. The opening of M7 Oud Absolu is better balanced, smoother, more sophisticated, and, because of the mineral note / rockrose, more complex than the opening of its ancestor… The cherry cough syrup shock has become a cherry / short-lasting mineral / oud-rockrose accord that is wearable, oddly rich, and oddly captivating.

I’m not sure that the fragrance actually has a middle or heart accord. The opening seems to last into the drydown due to the presence of oud and the oud-supporting rockrose. In one sense, M7 Oud Absolu is quite linear – the cherry / oud continues for into the drydown, which is very prompt. Some hour after the beginning the aromatics of the oud and rockrose has settled enough that the patchouli becomes noticeable, which results in a smoother-but-less-edgy accord. These accords do not have the projection of the vintage – that I do not mind: The truly unfortunate characteristic of M7 Oud Absolu is that it does not have adequate longevity. I have a difficult time detecting more than a soft skin scent after two hours but the skin scent lasts adequately.

M7 Oud Absolu is a somewhat-edgy, somewhat-oud fragrance that is nicely, but not inspiredly, put together. It is likely not to offend and it’s an easy wear. It has somewhat poor longevity. I think it has its place in the vast scheme of things and I have purchased a bottle and wear it when I’m looking for an interesting but “non-threatening” fragrance. I appreciate it and I'm very comfortable with it… I find I wear it much more often than I wear my vintage M7.

01st March, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Really like this one. This is oud for beginners. Not too harsh like a lot of other oud fragrances. Patchouli with a touch of amber balances this out just right. Just the right amount of incense. Kind of reminds me of GPH I. 8/10

23 February, 2014

blackheart2925's avatar

India India

Love M7 OA...never tried the original one but this one is superb!

Spray it one and immediately the smell of mandarins tickles the nose...a few mins later the patchouli and oud starts wafting and continues for a time...and finally the myrhh and incense...

One of the longest lasting frags ever...can smell it lightly on the skin after 20+ hrs!

love the middle patchouli, oud notes and absolutely love the base notes of myrh

Very warm fragrance for me...makes me feel nice and meditative...a special one this M7 OA

13 January, 2014

Stinkpot's avatar

This is a very non-threatening oud fragrance. The oud is more of a guest star than being front and center. My wife generally doesn't like assertive or edgy perfumes, but she really liked this one, so it's pretty easy to wear. Highly recommended. My only little complaint about this is the performance could be better. Projection is modest, and it's pretty hard to detect after 5 or 6 hours. But this isn't a $200+ niche fragrance, it's available for $65 if you look around, so it's hard to complain too much.

24 December, 2013

MFfan310's avatar

I'm an expert at M7.

Over the years, I've owned original-formulation M7 (two bottles), a decant of the late, lamented M7 Fresh, and the new M7 Oud Absolu version. Together, it's my favorite fragrance line from YSL (sorry, Kouros, Rive Gauche, and L'Homme fans).

I know that M7 Oud Absolu gets a lot of bad press from reviewers, with most of the complaints being over strength compared to the original formulation. But personally, I think it's true to the original in smell - it smells like the M7 that was my guiding light through tough times. And yes, it is slightly lighter than the original. IMO, this immensely helps, not hurts its versatility. The original was about as potent as Thierry Mugler's A*Men; this new version tones it down - it's still strong, but not "please be careful in how you use it" strong.

I also get a megaton of compliments on M7 Oud Absolu - it's one of my three most-complimented fragrances. (Oddly enough, it's also the most polarizing fragrance in my collection.)

Overall, this is an example of a great fragrance becoming even more wearable.

14 November, 2013

kaizer121's avatar

Finally FINALLY got my hands on this yesterday at Bergdorf in NYC. To my understanding they're the exclusive carriers of this scent 9at least insofar as retail sales go) in the U.S. I've never experienced the original so my review is of this scent and how it works as a scent in its own right. Basically, it's really nice. Opens nice and fresh, but still with some of the dirt of a good oud fragrance. Some good potent oud in the middle and base notes but it's well balanced with the myrrh and amber to create a very smooth scent that, while oud dominate, is far less likely to offend than most other oud scents. I went home and ordered it online ($60 there vs the $100 asking price at Bergdorf) and I'm pretty sure that while this isn't my favorite oud (it falls behind Dior Leather Oud and Black Aoud) it'll wind up being my most commonly worn oud, both because of its low price, and how well blended it is. For someone who is new to ouds and want's to test the waters, this is a great place to start. For someone who loves oud scents but wants something a little more wearable (like myself) there's no reason not to pick up a bottle of M7 Oud Absolu

12 May, 2013

's avatar

Wonderful designer fragrance. It's in the same level or even better than other oud fragrances that are "niche".

But i have to say actually this is not a main oud based fragrance. It's a well composed one that plays with patchouli, incense and oud, and also this has a nice resinous smell when dries down.

Sometimes i smell a cherry syrup that's not comfortable to my nose.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are medium-high.

10th May, 2013

vawallpa's avatar

Smelling both the original and oud absolu on each wrist I find they are indeed very similar. The original is more harsh and in-your-face, whereas this is a slightly more toned-down version. Gone is the cherry cough syrup note and is replaced with oud and myrrh notes. Both are nice and would give them both a thumbs up but they probably aren't different enough to warrant having both in a collection.

20th April, 2013

silentrich's avatar

M7 Oud Absolu resembles parts of M7, M7 Fresh, and has it's own uniqueness with the added notes. It's more M7 Fresh in the opening with the more prominent mandarine orange. The heart is M7 with the oud note sticking around. The base is where they differ. M7 is more of a balmy amber whereas Absolu is more balanced with the patchouli, myrrh, and amber. The dry down is better than either the vintage or the reformulated version. Matter of fact this is better than the reformulated version in every aspect. Unless you can get a bottle of the vintage this is your next best bet. Considering that you can pick this up a less than 1/2 the price this is an excellent bang for buck.

29 March, 2013

Francolino's avatar

gone the cough syrup note, well toned down, light oud, a modernized version of the original, can't see any resemblance with previously cited niche frag!!!

11th December, 2012

Andrè Moreau's avatar

I disagree with ferocious critics all over the net: substantially, the M7 Oud Absolu is not a piece of junk but almost the same of the "reformulated" M7, the only main difference is the lacking of the famous/infamous cherry syrup opening. Not an extraordinary scent , but an adequate one. The oud is entirely synthetic here, but it's pleasant to smell.
    In a few words: The M7 "toned-down".

29 November, 2012

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Nice fragrance, much more reminiscent of Kilian Cruel Intentions than the original. I wouldn't buy a bottle when Cruel Intentions is around, but really nice.

06 November, 2012