Reviews of Arsenic No. 17 by Tokyo Milk

Find out more about Arsenic No. 17 by Tokyo Milk in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a very unique and I would say yummy fragrance with a really interesting smell that I loved it.
    The opening is a fresh scent with a little bit of sweetness in the background.
    When I say fresh I don't mean something that you're getting from citruses or other fruits.
    It's a bitter herbal smell with cooling vibe and fresh feeling and I believe it's mixture of eucalyptus and mint.
    Usually eucalyptus by itself has that bitter green, herbal, fresh smell with cooling feeling but I can smell mint as well.
    The sweetness is very soft and completely in the background at the start.
    The eucalyptus here doesn't smell like vicks vapoRub at all. it doesn't smell medicinal.
    It's like grabbing fresh eucalyptus leafs from the tree and squeezing it and then smelling it.
    As time goes by, the cooling and fresh feeling of the scent goes away and that bitter herbal scent settles down just a bit.
    The sweetness in the dry down amps up a little bit but it's not very sweet.
    It's creamy and I think there is small dose of caramel beside vanilla that both together giving the scent creamy feeling which is extremely sensual.
    Now it's the interesting part for me!
    For unknown reason this combination of semi sweet creamy caramely smell mixed with bitter green eucalyptus reminding me of the taste of sesame cream.
    When I smelled it there was only one thing in my mind ..... dude, this smell like sesame cream!
    This is why I would call this fragrance yummy because I love sesame cream and I'm eating it a lot and this fragrance specially in the dry down remind me of the taste of it.
    Projection is average but longevity is great. I'm getting around 8 hours and sometimes a little more.

05th April, 2014

Janjanjan's avatar

Almost Excellent

The absinthe and fennel are lovely here. Would be excellent if they held longer, and the vanilla was toned down. Off to explore absinthe scents now...

Pros: fennel, who knew?!
    Cons: vanilla, you harlot, cover yourself"

01st October, 2013

lottalotta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

boring

Tried this yesterday and must agree with the above mentioned flatness. One-dimensioned, yes. It doesnt smell bad, but it doesnt smell much either. Ive had washing up liquid more inspiredly scented. Dont love to diss stuff, But this I do not get, considering that it costs money.

Pros: smells something
    Cons: nice bottle maybe"

14th September, 2013

Scyllage's avatar

I agree with jtd's review. Only I smell the vanilla overall. I would have loved to smell the greens, fennel and absinthe. I can only smell it on myself for about an hour. I 've received a few compliments on it and generally enjoy wearing it as a winter scent. Tokyo Milk stuff seems like a gimmick to me: cool-looking packaging, provocative names and that's all folks. And an annoying thing, the atomizer stopped working after about a month. A call to the company was made by the staff at the store at which I bought it and my bottle was replaced, since it's not something you can remove and still splash on the perfume instead of spraying it. The new bottle has a slightly leaky atomizer. The company rep said that they've been having similar reports from others and said it's trouble with the bottle design and that they are in the process of re-designing it. Guess we'll see. I'll use it until it's gone but don't know that I'll buy it again.

03rd May, 2013

jtd's avatar

I’ve been trying a few of the Tokyo Milk Dark collection, and while they’re deft and smell nice, I can’t shake the feeling that they lack dimension. Arsenic captures this impression. It is an interesting and successful culmination of disparate notes that really does mimic the medicinal/poisonous scent of absinthe, one of its listed notes. It moves from an effervescent top notes that suggests aldehydes, to a grainy, woody heart dusted with powdered cardamom.

Although it shows evolution over a wearing, Arsenic feels two-dimensional from top to base. It suggests that it’s built for a generally nonperfume-wearing Anthropologie customer who finds in it a scent that doesn’t smell like her notion of “perfume” and likes it. If introducing fragrance to someone who doesn’t otherwise wear it smells this good, I’m all for it.

30th November, 2012