Reviews of Arso by Profumum

Corto Maltese Show all reviews
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Chronologie VIII

When it comes to the quality of perfume extract, Profumum Roma is one of the best houses there is. I wouldn't dare to talk about combinations of perfume notes because it's a matter of taste, and tastes are different and worthy of respect.

Arso is a very natural scent, which I would classify more as an exotic-wooden scent than as a leather one.

This isn't an every day, every season and every occasion kind of perfume. Rather, it's a more personal satisfaction kind of perfume. If you ask me, I would say it's ideal for cold winter time, and should be worn on those cold days, during New Years holidays.

When put on, at first it smells like fresh pine tree, that later transforms into burnt tree mixed with resins, whose smoky aura is accented by incense.

Very nice and very interesting, too bad only that it has a very limited period of wearing.
17th October, 2015 (last edited: 18th October, 2015)

Leather, incense, pine resin and cedar leaves.

Opinion: I couldn´t ask a better way to end Profumum Roma´s fragrances. My friends, I found my #2 smoky fragrance of all time! Arso is simply OUTSANDING! Once again, I have lack of words to describe this. What an incredibly balsamic, smoky, woody, leatherish (and sweet) scent! Right from the opening, Arso is memorable. Somehow, and in spite of not being listed, this fragrance has clearly a sweet vibe that (gladly) sticks for most of its development.

This is SO beautiful! The quality is...Profumum Roma, as this is exquisite, refined, powerful, warm, dry, dark (but quite wearable at the same time) and the added sweetness is heavenly here. The pine give a bit of Christmas tree vibe, I think. Gladly this is not overly dark or smoky, nor sweet, although this sometimes feel a bit like an edible pine. Nevertheless, it´s perfectly balanced (same as Sorriso). I can´t find anything bad to say about Arso.

Now, time for comparisons. Interlude Man, Cape Heartache and Fille en Aiguilles are the ones this fragrance is more compared to. I do believe that all of them have similar vibes (due to incense/smoky - Interlude Man, and Pine - Cape Heartache, and Pine and sweetness combined - Fille en Aiguilles), but I do believe that Arso is in a league of its own. I do know that many of you love Interlude Man to death and won´t agree with me, but this all resumes to a matter of tastes and opinions, and this is mine. I do believe that performance wise, Arso is close to Interlude, as really a beast!

Very glad to have sample Sorriso and Arso, as Profumum Roma is now clearly one of my favorite houses (like Xerjoff).

In conclusion: Arso is simply IMPRESSIVE!

Type/Gender: Masculine.

It´s clearly a masculine scent.

Season and Purpose: This is a Winter/Fall fragrance (mostly Winter). I´d avoid work or formal occasions, but I´d wear it in many occasions like night out, clubbing, special events, and maybe on dates (to to the sweet nature and highly masculine vibe). It´s clearly more wearable and versatile then Interlude Man.

Achilles heel:

Sillage: 8.65
Projection: 8.50
Uniqueness: 8.30
Versatility: 7.80
--- Overall: 8.77

Would I buy it? Yes!!!

This fragrance costs ~$230/250 for 100 ml. On the pricey side, but this is a must!!!
14th October, 2015
This reminds me of Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Ete, just a little. It's gamy in the same way. This is sweeter and smokier, so this one feels like a powerhouse.

I've change from thumbs up to neutral while I'm typing.

This is too sweet, covering something off, or sharp, the turpentine, I gather.

This one is interesting for sure. It has a bit of a camp fire feel at times.
06th June, 2015

The opening of Arso is, in fact, quite “burning” (“arso” means “burnt” in Italian); even more than the usual smoky/smoked note which seems quite in fashion lately, here is rather the dark, warm, dry and “living” smell of a flaming campfire, halfway Sonoma Scent Studio’s Fireside Intense and Goodsir’s Bois d’ascèse. Here in Arso, this prominent accord is wrapped into a warm resinous-amber cradle, much spicy too (cloves) on a round, sweet base on vanilla and perhaps tobacco too, a set of brownish notes creating a sense of “hot gold”, visually evocating flames indeed. Soon arises also a balsamic feel which joins the pungent note of cloves, together blending with the smoked-campfire accord (actually this balsamic note may just be a side nuance of Iso E, which this “campfire” accord is surely stuffed of). Initially this balsamic note is tamed down, while then while the scent evolves it becomes more and more prominent while other notes become weaker or drier. Thus the scent becomes colder as minutes pass, slowly becoming more green-piney and grayish, still smoky and resinous but just less “golden” than the opening phase – something like many CdG’s, just warmer and spicier. I agree with the reference to Filles en Aiguilles, as Arso basically smells like if you threw a bottle of that Lutens’ right into a chimney. Now, overall I quite like Arso; the smoky accord is well elaborated, with a thick, layered and dusty texture, ashy and dry, really woody and with a nice set of nuances from black to golden-warm. Powerful and vibrant without smelling excessively cloying. The rest is nice too, and I consider Arso a well-made and pleasant scent, much sophisticated too as you can expect from such dark-smoky type of fragrances, with just a bit too much spices in my opinion, but they soon become more quiet so not a problem (and well, who cares if that would be a problem for me eventually). Classy and more unusual than other of this “genre”. So far, the only Profumum scent worth any attention to me, although the price is completely megalomaniac.

11th November, 2014
Beautiful. Initially there is sweet pine sap and incense, but then it rapidly begins to smoulder and become both deeper and airier. Pine sap, cedar, incense and smoke. It smells as if you were downwind of a flaming bottle of Serge Lutens' Fille En Aiguilles.

Me: I love it. If it weren't for the price I would regularly wear this.
You: If you're a niche fraghead, then definitely. If you wear designer or Creed, probably not.

Scents with similar elements:
Fille En Aiguilles - Pine sap.
Sycomore - Sweet smoke.
Encens Flamboyant - Fire and burning incense.
16th March, 2014
Given the price, I am neutral on it.
It is wood. Good wood, to be sure. But for me, it is simply wood and not much else.
The wood is pleasing. It reminds me of bark, with a rough texture.
Simple, outdoorsy, natural, and beautiful.
But I don't get much (if any) coniferous notes, or incense.
So after a while the wood seems monolithic to me.
I think it could be more interesting.
28th November, 2013
Burn Baby Burn

A blast of burning Incense, rubber and leather...Knize Ten meets Bulgari Black in nowhere land.

Sillage thick as a brick!

Pros: Flaming Power
Cons: none"

06th October, 2013
Smoke, turpentine and incense

A first shocking blast and i'm immediately invested by a fist of supreme pine resin, woodsy needles, enamel varnish, polish, carbonized woods, Diavolina (kerosene-paraffin +woody/papery dust), sweet amber/balsams and treated stout leather. Impressive, really impressive and almost bewildering, i don't know what to think, what i'm evoking at moment and what i'm engaged to unbury from the abysses of the past. Some spices (cloves?) are present but on a secondary sphere in my perception, for sure less influencing than in Fille en Aiguilles which is a really differently smelling stuff in my humble opinion (far more fruity/spicy and less tarry/smoky/incensey). In a while the smoky incense starts to rise up in concomitance with the tarry notes minimal subsidence. The "elaborated" pine resin (with all its charge of olfactory tarry and chemical nuances) remains notable but the smoky "turpentinic"incense (a la Black Tourmaline more than a la Avignon) plays gradually its co-protagonist role influencing the aroma with liturgical whiffs. A combination of natural camphoraceous resins with synthetic tarry "interventions", sweet/spicy amber-balsams and polished leather (combination finally more influencing the all whole aroma and determining) spreads down a base for the woods-incense smouldering campfire. I would define the woody (mostly cedarwood) vibe as similar to the effect aroused in the air by an extinguished campfire by the usage of water but unfortunately what jumps to my mind is also the burnt plastic effect luckily counteracted by a woodsy/incensey more appreciable feel. I'm sincere, the resinous/leathery (almost sweet, chemical and rubbery) feel, namely what in my perception smells as the un-natural side of the aroma, is too much for me and for this reason i find this fragrance unwearable in spite of my general appreciation for the genre itself, for the smoky incense/woods natural combinations and here (with Arso) in particular for the Profvmum's audacity. I would finally add that i do not perceive in the aroma the fair level of refinement, accomplishment and sophistication. My rating is barely more than medium.

Ps: after 4-5 hours the dry down appears really dull, onedimensional and linear, conjuring me the gummy odour of the vapor steam artificially produced inside the 90's discos i used to attend in the seasons of the youth. You can't separate anymore the incense from the smoke, the woods from the leather and the residual aroma is nothing than a sort of artificial, velvet, steamy and kind of rubbery/gassy (in perception) cloud of the clubs.

Pros: Woodsy, audacious, evocative.
Cons: I detect a touch of plastic"

05th September, 2013
Burnt sugar+conifer+incense.

Smoky leaves (sometimes, it makes my eyes water!), burnt sugar crystals, smoldering frankincense and some scrub pine branches thrown on top. A touch of toasted cedar. Could be a sacred scent for a pagan or a forest dwelling mystic. Enchanting.
16th May, 2013 (last edited: 15th May, 2015)
Fish Show all reviews
I'll stretch this to a 3/4 thumbs up but that's it. The opening of Arso was a powerhouse blast of spruce/fir reminding me of my adventures along evergreen lined trout streams in northern NH and Me. It was a nice kick to the past but a different cologne in the present. The dry down remained woody and went to a sweet and sour lighter pine, some pitch/tar, incense and cedar but I have a hard time finding the leather. Perhaps that's the a sweet leather scent I smell? Yes, one could say the scent is similar to pencil shavings and I sure would not argue with that opinion.
I like it, don't love it. Where would I wear this? Perhaps this is the deep winter scent for sitting alone in the cabin by the fire as snow falls sipping on a brandy. It has an absolute masculine scent and after dry down mellows out fairly nicely, but still a bit too piney, a scent I normally do like in moderation (Lubin Itasca).
Perhaps this would fit well on the ski slopes along with the after ski chalet and outdoor hot tub but not in a nightclub in NY or LA.
07th January, 2013
Arso by Profumum - Upon application, one is treated to a rush of balsam fir, with its faintly fruity and terpenic woodiness. This Christmas tree aroma is, at once, sappy and resinous, with a somewhat bracing and clean quality. Waves of birch tar infuse its burnt-forest and campfire smokiness, as well as hints of bald leather, while a clove bud presents its charred-wood character. An entrancing and lively, colophony incense wafts about. And, an undercurrent of thuja, from cedar leaf, can be sensed with its woody, camphor scent, akin to menthol-like notes. A buttery, cedar chest aura from Virginia cedar couples with an anisaldehyde with its soft and sweet, licorice aroma, akin to Shoelace Sweets, and vies with the singed-conifer/leather/incense cocktail. A Peru balsam presents with its sweetly vanillic woodiness, with a urine phantom, while fir moss supplies its earthy and mouldy character, reminiscent of bark, needles and decaying wood on the forest floor. An intriguing drydown ensues. This manly and somewhat exotically unique fragrance has very good projection and longevity, 10 hours or more.
06th October, 2012
drseid Show all reviews
Arso opens with a mixture of smoky incense, sweet amber and pine resin. This semi-sweet smoky pine pretty much hangs around from start to finish as the scent is extremely linear. Joining this accord in the heart is a minor woody cedar note that mingles with the resinous coniferous aspects to create a somewhat dark are deep overall accord that is rather distinctive if not more than a bit abstract. The overall accord sweetens a bit more in the dry-down with a slightly earthy feel late. Projection and longevity are both average.

I like pine scents in general, but I can't say I really like Arso much. There is something about the mixture of its sweet amber, smoky incense and pine that just seems somewhat "off" to my nose. The scent does improve a bit in the dry-down, but not enough to get me to really like the stuff. Arso is not terrible, but its nothing I want to wear despite its admitted distinctiveness and innovation. If you are a "cone head" looking for something completely different than other coniferous scents on the market Arso is sniff worthy, but I recommend sticking to other coniferous scents like Norne by Slumberhouse that smell a heck of a lot better for a lot less money. Arso gets an "average" rating of 2.5 stars out of 5.
01st September, 2012
This is gorgeous stuff. I got a sample, so it's not my conscience trying to justify $240 bottle of perfume. The myrhh is high quality and not overly "incensey" or spicy. THere's a touch of a warm woody note and maybe some amber like labdanum or Peru Balsam. Very well done and long lasting. Sillage is not very far projecting but perfume should be for you, not for everyone in the room. Considering purchasing a full bottle. I don't really get "leather" with this, but it's well blended and complex so there may be a very subtle leather note for all I know.
16th June, 2012

Pure UK Show all reviews
Pick up a wooden pencil. Sharpen the end. Smell the newly shaved wood.....that's what Arso smells like to me.
I bought a bottle because I do like the smell and it lasts 12 hours on me which for what they charge is the least it should do.
27th May, 2012 (last edited: 17th May, 2014)
A smoked and syrupy almost edible pine. Very warm and comforting for a type of fragrance that can often seem austere and one-dimensional ("uncomplicated", if we're being more positive). Actually there is some interesting development, within limits, as it dries down. If you get those cravings for things that smell like Black Tourmaline or Kyoto or Hinoki or the like, or if you want to carry a bit of the great outdoors around on your skin, or if you just want to smell some yummy pine resin please check out this Arso.
14th April, 2012
I totally agree with everything alfarom said. This is one of Profumum's best masculine fragrances and one of the best from any house in the past few years. Anyone who likes this type of scent should definitely sample this one. It's worth the high price.
02nd March, 2012
Arso is possibly one of my biggest 180 so far. I always found it unbalanced, sort of too smoky but I was wrong! It smells so darn good.

Strongly resinous, incensey with a tad of sweetness during the opening and with leather hints throughout. A shy boozy note discreetely remakrs its presence druing the initial phase to slowly disappear leaving space to a slighlt sweet amber note while the fragrance dries down. Smells exactly like an estinguished campfire where they burned resinous pine, cedar and tones of dry leaves, smells of velvety white smoke, smells incredibly salubrious. Initally I thought about a mash-up between Fille En Aiguilles and Black Torumaline but overall Arso is less balmy, less sweet and as much as I love the Lutens and the Durbano, this one is much more wearable.

Surely among the best deliveries from Porfumum. Terrific!
15th February, 2012 (last edited: 16th February, 2012)