Reviews of M by Puredistance

Find out more about M by Puredistance in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I believe I hit the jackpot! if you want something serious and manly this one worth at least trying!
    The opening of this fragrance is a bitter spicy scent mixed with leather note.
    The spices are heavy and they do have a very dry and wild feeling. lots of cumin, lots of nutmeg, lots of clove that they all together creating brutal spicy and kind of peppery scent.
    The leather note does not smell smoky. it's like the smell of a piece of leather in the middle of the desert in a hot summery day! very dry and slightly animalic.

In the mid I'm getting again heavy dry spices and a little stronger leather (still not smoky but it's animalic) notes but now there is some sweetness and some carnation flower beside it that gives the scent an elegant and slightly powdery feeling.

In the base those heavy spices and the leather note all settle down and the scent gets slightly sweeter. the base is a creamy sweet vanilla and musk plus soft spices specially cinnamon and some leather mostly in the background.
    Performance of this fragrance is awesome. projection is strong and longevity is around 10-12 hours on my skin. there is nothing girly here. masculine all the way through.

31st July, 2014

Taskphorce01's avatar

Extremely potent, high quality, masculine, a little goes a long way. When I apply this, I'm careful not to overspray it. One to two sprays max unless I need to go the distance (16 hour day) and then I spray it 3 times. To my nose the scent is reminiscent of smoldering cedarwood laced with a dab of cinnamon and the finest leather man can make. I own Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove and I will say the two are alike in the opening yet significantly different in the dry down. The price is soaring high but 17.5ml (is all you really need) and that amount should last you a long, long time.

27 May, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening is marvelous, clear, sharp, amazingly elegant and cozy. I detect patchouli, aromatic woods, cedar, vetiver, a floral accord, sweet resinous spices, cinnamon, a gorgeous leather note (soft like suede, initially) with a bold talcum-soft feel. All is aerial and dimensional, almost geometrical, at the same time plushy, silky and mellow. A lot of suggestions and images come to mind, there's an oriental vein blended with a totally contemporary Western personality. Quite complex and textured, really compact, just smelling beautiful and great like Fetish pour Homme, and also quite on the same "concept" too: basically, a renovated, modern "masculine classic", with some nostalgic fougère/chypre accords blended with a new and more modern sensibility. A tight and harmonic scent full of nuances you feel better in the sillage than on skin. What I like the most is an irresistible accord of leather, flowers (jasmine?), delicate woods (cashmeran, cedar?) and spices blended with a talcum-balsamic accord, something that just captivates me I don't know why precisely... like those scents you link to people you love, or loved. So distinguished and majestic, without being "opulent". As minutes pass a talcum cloud emerges and "explodes" in all its dreamy and narcotic dustiness, and again, a symphony of nuances, mellow woods, flowers, leather. Then it all starts to dry and the bone-structure emerges more clearly, which I said, it's quite a classic fougère/chypre texture, incredibly sophisticated, soft, mossy and velvety. As many other reviewers already noticed, a couple of scents come to mind at this point, two legendary scents to which this one almost sounds like a "tribute": Moschino pour Homme and Bel Ami. The leather accord with a talcum/floral "gentleness" is one of the best I've ever smelled, it smells really perfectly. The drydown is great as well, more bitter and dry, but well balanced, and doesn't reveal the sadly-too-usual safraleine cheapness (burnt rubber). Utter elegance. The quality is uncompromising and really high, of both materials and composition. Still, the price is completely insane and megalomaniac, and not in a way that I'd say "... but it's worth it". It's not, it's great and stuff, but it's not worth that cost. Just grab a sample and try it, then enjoy the hundreds of equally good (or better) fragrances around.

18 May, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Tried this one yesterday at MIN NYC. Starts off with a cumin or slight civet note. Then morphs into a beautiful incense with vanilla. Beautiful fragrance. The downfall is the price. 8/10

22 January, 2014

Scentologist's avatar

Old world elegance with modern charm

I pulled the dipstick out of the vial to take a first sniff, as I do traditionally. Smelling real close and hard, I barely was able to detect a cumin. When I put it on my skin, I must say that it was nonexistent to my nose. For those of you that don't like Yatagan or cumin, don't fret. Very well blended here. However, I had high hopes for this. It was rather linear to be so complex. If I can be frank, it reminds me of the dry down of Chypre Palatin (just remover the chypre part). It has the old world elegance with modern charm. Very smooth and warm. I really like this but must confess, I don't find it anywhere near it's high price tag, in spite of it high quality. I do like it significantly better than the MDCI scents. Projection and longevity where average on my skin.

Pros: Smooth and classy
    Cons: Overpriced, Smells similar to dry down of chypre palatin"

27 October, 2013

Francolino's avatar

Bel Ami revisited

huge and heavy, the same architecture of vintage Bel ami..a bit retro maybe!

Pros: really persistent with huge sillage
    Cons: unashamedly overpriced"

06 September, 2013

CaliDude's avatar

For the life of me, I really wanted to like this fragrance. I ordered a sample from LuckyScent and have been trying it for a few days now, but every time I wear it, I'm just not impressed.

All I get is a prominent spicy curry note that lasts a long time. It reminds me of Indian food.

I've sampled this on my arm and gave it a full wearing, but my opinions haven't changed. I don't get any leather, cinnamon, or anything of the sort. All I get is spicy curry and that's not really something I want people smelling on me.

09 May, 2013

Jus's avatar

Imagine James Bond or Gianni Agnelli. All dressed completely bespoke, exemplary in their elegance that is absolutely masculine and charming. M is their scent. M is an absolute masterpiece that gave us to make the classic elegance can still triumph. The cost is high but two- three spray than enough to spread an area of unquestionable charm and masculinity throughout the day. Perfect, combines the greatest leather fragrances of the past - from Bel Ami to Cuir de Russie - and summarizes them to the best of their ability. Irreplaceable. Inevitable.

11th March, 2013

FISS80's avatar

Cinnamon, vetiver, vanilla, lemon, leather, and musk. Even a novice nose like me can detect each and every note in this heavenly concoction. The smell is certainly divine. The thing that makes this fragrance amazing is the fact that no one note overpowers the other!! It is like a symphony with no solos in that each note independently, is great but when played in unison it puts you in another state of mind. Just the right amount of projection and excellent longevity. Simply amazing...

08 March, 2013

Nosebud's avatar

M opens with a balanced blend of astringent and warm wood. Cedar and balsam, I think. This is an odd yet welcome top to me. Hours later I get some cinnamon and vanilla starting to creep in. Hours still incense settles into the mix and you are surrounded by this forever. Puredistance, indeed. I sprayed this on 18 hours ago and have not experienced olfactory fatigue. It seems to be projecting still as well, as a coworker at greater than arms length complimented me on it. As a side note, I have received four compliments throughout the day, and I don't fish. I normally will only receive 1 or 2 a month.

14 December, 2012

fa23's avatar

I've owned some decent scents like Musc Ravageur, Amouage Jubilation XXV, Chergui, lot of Montales and even Roja Dove Aoud. But this has to be the most addictive scent I've come across. If it wasn't for affordability Id keep buying it. Running out fast. Classic, dark, perfect for winter.

05 November, 2012

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

The James Bond stuff (the name, the gadget-like bottle) is fatuous, but the scent is supremely tasteful. M is a classic-smelling leather with a moss-to-amber trajectory. There are floral notes of rose and jasmine and a hearty sprinkling of cumin and cinnamon. The drydown is surprisingly, enchantingly bright, as if the lemon topnotes had been reignited, or like that moment on the cusp of night when the sun unexpectedly gilds everything before melting completely.

The stuff is eye-wateringly expensive, but just glancing at the Sauternes-coloured extrait is sufficient to fragrance you for the day.

Beautiful.

28 September, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Puredistance M's extrait of perfume is a stunning lecherous spicy-leathery-oriental with an arabesque  kind of vibe. Boozy and luxuriant this yummy elixir starts with a blast of sheer animalic oakmoss, decadent bergamot, kind of smoky pepper (tobacco yet?) and huge cinnamon before a sort of royal rose-jasmine combo keeps flaunting its floral subtleness in the air of cozy ambiences (where you could dare to wear this olfactory beast). The jasmine is starring together with a wonderful regal cinnamon working hard throughout the journey side by side with an authoritarian and dark patchouli. Probably some aromatic spices  like kurcuma or cumin are effectively combined with the other elements in the blend cause the prickly-smoky cinnamon smells "airy-aromatic" further than yummy because of the coming up balsams from the base. In the meanwhile a sort of vanillic suede rises up from the background enveloping the elements is an exotic spicy-boozy-leathery embrace that is finally velvety and smooth.  I catch for sure the yummy kind of civilized quality vetiver in the background and its combination with oakmoss, leather, smoky spices and vanilla reminds me vaguely the Black Afgano N.'s vetiver implementation. Minarets, sultans and tents of desert come to mind with this fragrance reminding me a bit the Arabie, Pure Oud Kilian and Ambre Sultan's  exoticism. There are other fragrances coming to mind while i inhale M (for different reasons as the peppery-boozines, the animalic and aromatic spicy temperament, the usage of cinnamon etc) as Coze PG, Absolu Pour Le Soir K. and Idole de Lubin. Expensive but utterly worthy viscous alchemy for the lovers of the sumptuous olfactory high quality. Just Masculine in my opinion and really long lasting.

08 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2013)

tymanski's avatar

I was really looking forward to trying this one & had preconceived a certain idea before doing so. I had even reconciled to the cost....What a downer! I lorve me leathers (CR, CO, K10, CM in my stable) but this is a sweet, spicy mess (on/to me). In fact, of the 50 or so frags i sampled recently on a Paris perfume blitz this was one I had to duck into a cafe to scrub. But it wouldn't: it is tenacious! I got far more cinnamon, clove, honey & tobacco than leather.

I know Patou Homme, Patou Homme is a good friend of mine. M, you are not the best masculine since Patou Homme!

21st August, 2012

drseid's avatar

M opens with bergamot, with ginger and cinnamon spice and a hint of jasmine. The ginger all but fades relatively quickly, but the cinnamon remains well into the heart notes, combining with cumin that continues M's spicy nature while not overdoing it by smelling like BO as many other cumin compositions do. Patchouli, clove and even just a faint whiff of carnation permeate the heart notes, as a sublime subtle leather, oakmoss and vetiver accord emerges from the base notes to complete the profile. Projection is average to above average and longevity is excellent.

M is a stunningly beautiful composition and while certainly leathery, the spicy notes really are equally as important to its success with the whole thing coming off without a hitch execution-wise. The aspect of M that took me a while to really recognize is just how deftly the vetiver is utilized in the base notes to ground the leather and spice. I certainly find M an easy recommendation for the scent smell and materials quality, but it is quite the expensive one on a per ml basis so budgetary constraints may play a role for many when considering a purchase. At the very least, this amazingly good 4 to 4.5 star out of 5 scent is a "must sniff" to all leather lovers.

14 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2012)

barclaydetolly's avatar

I really hate to be the only negative vote, but I just do not like or enjoy Puredistance M. I bought a number of samples from Luckyscent, and just finished a few wearings. I get a strong dirty, almost incense vibe. I never got to the "floral vanille cinnamon" stage some have mentioned. Frankly, it was one of the few I had to wash off after about twenty minutes each time I wore it; I thought it smelled that bad. My lady friend also told me it was rank. Maybe it was my body chemistry.

26 May, 2012

thebeck's avatar

Best masculine release since Patou pour Homme in 1980.

29 April, 2012

Nasenmann's avatar

Germany Germany

This is the strongest and finest oriental I know! I do get all the advertised notes but they are so brilliantly blended and balanced that the fragrance became much more then the sum of its parts. Espescially the pairing of dirty/raunchy elements with classy elegance is a stroke of genius, in my opinion! It's not an everyday fragrance and while it's seductive in a "fancy-dress ball" sense, it probably won't work well as a "panty-dropper" for the youngsters. It demands and evokes a certain type of matureness, I think.

08 April, 2012

Dernier_Cri's avatar

For a vetiver lover like myself M tis a blessing. It's beauty lies in it's dark strength and it's leanness: a minimalist straight forward fragrance without bells or whistles, without missteps. The dry smoky opening settles down quickly into a very masculine accord of slightly sweet smoked tobacco and stays right there. M is really a take on the classic men's vetiver fragrances of the past, the major improvement being that the distracting notes, the annoying barbershop florals and fruit and the overpowering leather works have been minimized to let the heart and base notes, the vetiver and patchouli and moss express themselves more fully and for a longer time. I don't know how many times I've tested a men's vetiver and thought, "I wish the smoke had hung around longer", or "Keep the smoke, ditch the sausagey leather." M does those things. It is stripped down, strong and clean. It's linear and I say thank God. It doesn't morph over time from the excellent fragrance it starts out being (and should remain) into some lifeless generic drydown. Projection is on the light side but I count that as a plus. I can see M being criticised for not engendering an overabundance of passion. OK. Maybe. It has the strong solid central accord: it's like some giant planet with great gravitational pull but free of any moon zipping wildly around it. M is a modern interpretation of a classic style. What it does it does almost perfectly.

Update March 30 2013

Revisted M recently after a whole year. I still think it's a very fine fragrance but I think now that the reason I never really warmed up to it completely is the cinnamon.

25 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2013)

Jermel's avatar

This is one intense and gorgeous fragrance. I can not describe it so I wont try. But I will say, it makes me feel sexy and powerful when I wear it.

14 March, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

M opens with a leathery spicy oakmoss with a touch of cummin. Then five minutes later this gorgeous stunning jasmine floral note kicks in like a ray of sunshine peeking out of the clouds. The oakmoss note recedes though I do detect some leather still underpinning it and the beautiful florals start to dominant.

As time moves forward I can detect vanille and the cinnamon weaving in and out of the composition.

As this is a perfume extract it only took a dab to my wrist to get a strong projection though not in a heavy way more light and strong.

The strange thing with this fragrance is different aspect's of it seem to be more prominent depending on the application. I noticed if the scent was dabbed onto my skin the spicy oakmoss leather came to the forefront while the stunning florals and vanille & cinnamon held itself in the background. And visa versa with spraying it onto your skin.

I have too say this fragrance is stunning in the quality of ingredients used especially how the jasmine note is used. Every so often this scent just seems too come together in a perfect harmony of oakmossy spicy leather and the floral vanille cinnamon. When it does and it does not happen on every wearing the effect to your olfactory senses is one of pure magic.

11th March, 2012