Reviews of Amber Oud by By Kilian

Find out more about Amber Oud by By Kilian in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Jack Hunter's avatar

Amber and vanilla with cedar getting between these notes so it never reaches that satisfying olfactory climax. Also in the blend is balsam note which is like a very toned down Tiger balm. But alas no Oud whatsoever.

This smells nice but it is not very well blended at all. There are many ambery vanilla fragrances that are better and way more affordable. Also the pretentious name of this fragrance is misleading as there is no Oud to speak of.

To sum up a poorly blended amber and vanilla fragrance with a name that is a misnomer.

11th June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Amber Oud is not bad at all, although I don't get much of neither amber nor oud. Well, perhaps the opening has a slight ambery note, but it's quite on a musky/chypre side, with tonka and a dark woody base which however does not smell exactly like oud, being more dry and aromatic – less dense, less rubbery, less gloomy (you got it, less oud). The amber/musky accord is, again, as in other Kilian scents, a bit medicinal, caramelised, with earthy and balsamic notes, a bit like in Ambre Sultan, just slightly more musky/carnal, almost indolic at the very beginning. This blends quite harmonically with a vanilla-tonka accord, sweet and gourmandish but brightly understated and restrained. After a while you eventually feel some really delicate, whispering dark woody note on the very base, perhaps that's the oud, but be prepared to look for it. However the main amber-benzoin balsamic/medicinal accord with that musky note is nice, sensual, quite shady, a bit à la Musc Tonkin or Muscs Koublai Khan, just incomparably less powerful and deep – Kilian's trademark pale "trendiness" that pushes him to keep notes and accord on a tight leash. "Suggesting" and giving a glossy, flat representation of a note is enough here in order to keep it niche, but safe and crowdpleasing at its best. Not bad, anyway.

6,5-7/10

24th May, 2014 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2014)

thatsmr2usir's avatar

I have had my sample for a long while & have used it on/off for sometime. So now that I am wearing it to bed, I decided to write a review. Kilian tires to create a nice Amber/Oud concoction since it seems as if the rest of the fragrance world is going into that direction.

I find that Amber Oud is made with good ingredients, & the presentation is nice as well. As far as the liquid is concerned, upon first spray I get this nasty cedar/oud combination with the slightest touch of Amber. I realized long ago that alot of Cedar can ruin a fragrance for me. Here it is no exception.

However, after about 5 minutes, the cedar calms down somewhat, & out comes the synthetic oud with amber. It appears that the oud & cedar are going head to head with the cedar dominating this show with the amber lurking in the background keeping the game somewhat sweet. I find that this composition could have done very well WITHOUT cedar since it is one of my least favorite notes.

The silage is modest & longevity on me is roughly 8 hours. I would not spend the asking price for this fragrance because I feel there are so many fragrances that do this type of thing better. On the flip side of things, it does have this classy vibe about it & I can see how many will find this appealing. If it was given to me, I'd wear it every now & a blue moon with a suit or dress like attire.

27th November, 2013

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Calling out to the synthetic equivalent of Cambodian oud: you’re supposed to be in here somewhere.
    If one can get past that missing element, this is actually quite a comforting woody amber. It has a beautiful cedar note, like the perfume that issues from a freshly split log, a scent that makes one want to curl up and just be. I’d be pretty surprised if there isn’t some vetiver in there bolstering that effect. And then there’s amber: warm, vanillic, not overly sweet. The combination is simple (to the nose) but feels assured and right, like a melody that works from the opening bars.
    My grouse is its somewhat demure trail which subtracts greatly from its pleasure.

11th November, 2013

gmstrack's avatar

Amber Oud definitely deserves a sideways thumb. First, as other reviewers pointed out, the oud is barely detectable and doesn’t even show up until at least 30 minutes into the drydown and even then, the castrated oud meekly waves a hand in protest of the giant benzoin troll dominating the party. Finally, pleasant boozy amber takes over after the troll stops farting and a hint of bay leaf darts in and out. Overall, AO is a high quality fragrance, although I wouldn’t say that it is worth the ridiculous price, especially considering that AO seems slightly generic. If you enjoy heavy duty benzoin bombs (for example, Chergui) then this will probably be your cup of tea. If you like your oud prominent and challenging, then look elsewhere.

28th March, 2013

Tman12's avatar

I will be somewhat in the minority here when I say this is one of my favorite scents, hands down. Other posters are correct when they point out the lack of oud. While there is a light medicinal quality initially, that quickly fades leaving very light oud with predominate vanilla-amber, accented with some spice. The vanilla is soft and luxurious, but never cloying. Sillage is good and longevity amazing (on me at least).

It took me a couple wearings to appreciate this one, but I dont think I will ever be without a bottle.

23rd February, 2013

Transmeta's avatar

Sweet but no oud whatsoever.

03rd January, 2013

Jkidd's avatar

Nice scent but where is the oud? I can't believe I'm saying this but they need to reformulate this one.

14th December, 2012

jtd's avatar

I love sweets, but there are times I would trade one of those stylized, mouthwatering desserts made from the kitchen full of component parts for a perfect croissant.

Plug-in whatever other $300+ perfume for the dessert, Amber Oud is the croissant. Forget that it costs the price of a ticket to Paris to get said ideal croissant, Amber Oud is the perfect combination, the ideal calibration of amber and oud (big amber, little oud) that makes me want to sniff myself all day. A croissant is the product of superb quality simple ingredients, understanding of the role of the ingredients and skill. All the bad croissants in the world tell you that simple doesn't mean easy. Ditto for AO. The problem is the price and my lust for more perfume. If I could afford Amber Oud I first have to make the Odyssey across the following dessert courses:

Histoires de Parfum: 1804, Petroleum and Noir Patchouli
    Parfumerie Generale: Cuir d’Iris, Felania and Tubereuse Couture
    Andy Tauer: Loretta, Carillon pour un Ange and l’Air du Désert Marocain
    The entire line of les Nereides

None of these choices is slumming it. It's not as though I'd be taking a loaf of Wonder Bread instead of the croissant.

Set against this competition AO wouldn't stand a chance.

11th December, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

A Lot of Amber, no oud. Vanilla, benzoin, slightly medicinal. Very very dry and Entirely forgettable.

05th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th October, 2012)

muskymoi's avatar

No oud, though oud is in the name. It's all amber-patch-vanilla-smoke; lovely but soooo done by soooo many lines, both designer and niche. In fact, I'm a bit insulted that BK would charge this amount of money for a fragrance that has no oud in it at all and isn't so far off from Prada's amber family. Shouldn't the price tag be commensurate with the raw materials?

But, what do I know...I'm not a perfumer...just the consumer with the wallet.

Not FB-worthy for me.

13th September, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Frankly a bit disappointing and too much linear cause the strength coming from the prominent duo amber-vanilla is overwhelming the woodiness and depauperating the structure. I smell a royal boozy-spicy amber combined with  yummy elements (vanilla and probably hints of chocolate) inside. I don't get specifically the bay leaves, just some faint final airy muskiness in the base. The oudh implementation seems to be symbolic and its interaction with the spices and the balsams elicits a sort of boozy vibe that's the facet i prefer. I would have liked some tobacco patterns that hardly detect (in a really minimal dose). The juice is kind of dusty because of the animalic gassy vibe  and the powdery cedarwood (i suppose) for a long part of its development till when the woodiness starts to fade down and a silky dark caramellous temperament turns out. In this phase the scent is a sort of gourmand one becoming appealing but a bit stuck.  The fragrance is anyway regal and mysterious but many cheaper ambers manage to be that.
    P.s: many hours later Amber Oud morphs in something softer, less dense, more sophisticated and feminine. An improvement. I catch vague floral nuances in the mix. Are there any floral patterns in the blend? Probably not but a certain delicate and more radiant subtleness starts turning out.

12th September, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2012)

Dernier_Cri's avatar

Well, they got the name right. This is amber with a capital "A". And oud with a not so capital "o". The amber here is "killer" and yes you can take that in more than one way. It is a big impressive almost textbook amber. The bezoin is quite prominent and gives it that distinctive benzoin chocolatiness. The chocolate is something personally I've never had too much affection for, but it's not too obnoxious here. This big bold amber with oud needs a little more dynamism or three-dimensionality or something. Amber it's got.

02nd June, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2013)

Sunsetspawn's avatar

The amber and vanilla here are pretty solid, while the woods backing them are but a whisper. It all fades fairly quickly, unfortunately, though the vanilla fades a bit more quickly allowing for the woods to become more prominent as time wears on. And although oud is in the name, the primary wood that emerges as the vanilla subsides is cedar.

The whole experience in very simple and underwhelming despite the obviously high quality ingredients. I cannot condone a $400 purchase for something that's "a'ight." Nah'mean?

29th April, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Amber oud starts of with a prominent benzoin note, a sweet one given the presence of vanilla mixed with a rich aspect of amber giving some depth to this particular fragrance. Through time the benzoin decays a little bit leaving space to the amber/vanilla accord, a very warm combination if I may say.

The problem is: where's oud in this one? Where's the animalic quality that Kilian mentioned in the description of this fragrance? It is just not here, the mimetic effect they tried to create in this fragrance combining different ingredients to simulate the oud smell just does not work, but hey, this isn't bad at all!

I, myself find this a good point since I'm not a oud fan but for those who pick up this particular fragrance just by the name may be disappointed.
    Anyway, a very good smelling fragrance that stays close to the skin. Sadly it is too pricey for what it delivers (but I will still give this one a thumbs up)

06th April, 2012

LiteEmUpGood's avatar

I got very little oud out of this. It is however a very warm vanilla/amber blend. I wish it packed more oud to make it more masculine

02nd March, 2012

zandaloo's avatar

I really like this scent a lot but for the price I'm definitely not going to be buying a bottle.
    It just doesn't seem versatile enough.
    I'm giving it a thumbs up regardless.

Amber Oud is very familiar but different, but it without a doubt gives the impression of a classic fragrance.
    It starts of with a heavy, smokey wood that gives it sort of a boozy feel, with quite a bit of amber. Its also a bit powdery with some vanilla and tobacco. not getting any bay leaf.
    as it dries down the woods fade away and the powder and vanilla become more prominent, a hint of moss or something green also seems to peeks out.
    A few hours later the powdery almost floral like scent dies down and your left with a very smooth vanilla and amber.
    I really like the way this fragrance smells after about 4 hours.

Over all a really nice scent, albeit a little too "mature" for my taste. but like I said before I doubt I'll be adding a full bottle of this to my collection.

27th February, 2012

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

I really like this one it starts with amber and vanilla with a woody spicy vibe as i waited a couple hours it smelled similar to Musc Ravageur but a little more creamier if that makes sense. But in the end it dries down to a woody creamy oud scent. I like it another great scent by By Kilian,they never fail to impress me.

20th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2012)