Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Amber Oud by By Kilian

Oudless fragrance with an amber base (sort of plastic) and a vanilla background. No where near worth the asking price. 6.5/10
12th January, 2015
Amber and vanilla with cedar getting between these notes so it never reaches that satisfying olfactory climax. Also in the blend is balsam note which is like a very toned down Tiger balm. But alas no Oud whatsoever.

This smells nice but it is not very well blended at all. There are many ambery vanilla fragrances that are better and way more affordable. Also the pretentious name of this fragrance is misleading as there is no Oud to speak of.

To sum up a poorly blended amber and vanilla fragrance with a name that is a misnomer.
11th June, 2014
Amber Oud is not bad at all, although I don't get much of neither amber nor oud. Well, perhaps the opening has a slight ambery note, but it's quite on a musky/chypre side, with tonka and a dark woody base which however does not smell exactly like oud, being more dry and aromatic – less dense, less rubbery, less gloomy (you got it, less oud). The amber/musky accord is, again, as in other Kilian scents, a bit medicinal, caramelised, with earthy and balsamic notes, a bit like in Ambre Sultan, just slightly more musky/carnal, almost indolic at the very beginning. This blends quite harmonically with a vanilla-tonka accord, sweet and gourmandish but brightly understated and restrained. After a while you eventually feel some really delicate, whispering dark woody note on the very base, perhaps that's the oud, but be prepared to look for it. However the main amber-benzoin balsamic/medicinal accord with that musky note is nice, sensual, quite shady, a bit à la Musc Tonkin or Muscs Koublai Khan, just incomparably less powerful and deep – Kilian's trademark pale "trendiness" that pushes him to keep notes and accord on a tight leash. "Suggesting" and giving a glossy, flat representation of a note is enough here in order to keep it niche, but safe and crowdpleasing at its best. Not bad, anyway.

6,5-7/10
24th May, 2014 (last edited: 30th May, 2014)
I have had my sample for a long while & have used it on/off for sometime. So now that I am wearing it to bed, I decided to write a review. Kilian tires to create a nice Amber/Oud concoction since it seems as if the rest of the fragrance world is going into that direction.

I find that Amber Oud is made with good ingredients, & the presentation is nice as well. As far as the liquid is concerned, upon first spray I get this nasty cedar/oud combination with the slightest touch of Amber. I realized long ago that alot of Cedar can ruin a fragrance for me. Here it is no exception.

However, after about 5 minutes, the cedar calms down somewhat, & out comes the synthetic oud with amber. It appears that the oud & cedar are going head to head with the cedar dominating this show with the amber lurking in the background keeping the game somewhat sweet. I find that this composition could have done very well WITHOUT cedar since it is one of my least favorite notes.

The silage is modest & longevity on me is roughly 8 hours. I would not spend the asking price for this fragrance because I feel there are so many fragrances that do this type of thing better. On the flip side of things, it does have this classy vibe about it & I can see how many will find this appealing. If it was given to me, I'd wear it every now & a blue moon with a suit or dress like attire.
27th November, 2013
Calling out to the synthetic equivalent of Cambodian oud: you’re supposed to be in here somewhere.
If one can get past that missing element, this is actually quite a comforting woody amber. It has a beautiful cedar note, like the perfume that issues from a freshly split log, a scent that makes one want to curl up and just be. I’d be pretty surprised if there isn’t some vetiver in there bolstering that effect. And then there’s amber: warm, vanillic, not overly sweet. The combination is simple (to the nose) but feels assured and right, like a melody that works from the opening bars.
My grouse is its somewhat demure trail which subtracts greatly from its pleasure.
11th November, 2013
Amber Oud definitely deserves a sideways thumb. First, as other reviewers pointed out, the oud is barely detectable and doesn’t even show up until at least 30 minutes into the drydown and even then, the castrated oud meekly waves a hand in protest of the giant benzoin troll dominating the party. Finally, pleasant boozy amber takes over after the troll stops farting and a hint of bay leaf darts in and out. Overall, AO is a high quality fragrance, although I wouldn’t say that it is worth the ridiculous price, especially considering that AO seems slightly generic. If you enjoy heavy duty benzoin bombs (for example, Chergui) then this will probably be your cup of tea. If you like your oud prominent and challenging, then look elsewhere.

28th March, 2013
Nice scent but where is the oud? I can't believe I'm saying this but they need to reformulate this one.
14th December, 2012
A Lot of Amber, no oud. Vanilla, benzoin, slightly medicinal. Very very dry and Entirely forgettable.
05th October, 2012 (last edited: 06th October, 2012)
No oud, though oud is in the name. It's all amber-patch-vanilla-smoke; lovely but soooo done by soooo many lines, both designer and niche. In fact, I'm a bit insulted that BK would charge this amount of money for a fragrance that has no oud in it at all and isn't so far off from Prada's amber family. Shouldn't the price tag be commensurate with the raw materials?

But, what do I know...I'm not a perfumer...just the consumer with the wallet.

Not FB-worthy for me.
13th September, 2012
Frankly a bit disappointing and too much linear cause the strength coming from the prominent duo amber-vanilla is overwhelming the woodiness and depauperating the structure. I smell a royal boozy-spicy amber combined with  yummy elements (vanilla and probably hints of chocolate) inside. I don't get specifically the bay leaves, just some faint final airy muskiness in the base. The oudh implementation seems to be symbolic and its interaction with the spices and the balsams elicits a sort of boozy vibe that's the facet i prefer. I would have liked some tobacco patterns that hardly detect (in a really minimal dose). The juice is kind of dusty because of the animalic gassy vibe  and the powdery cedarwood (i suppose) for a long part of its development till when the woodiness starts to fade down and a silky dark caramellous temperament turns out. In this phase the scent is a sort of gourmand one becoming appealing but a bit stuck.  The fragrance is anyway regal and mysterious but many cheaper ambers manage to be that.
P.s: many hours later Amber Oud morphs in something softer, less dense, more sophisticated and feminine. An improvement. I catch vague floral nuances in the mix. Are there any floral patterns in the blend? Probably not but a certain delicate and more radiant subtleness starts turning out.
12th September, 2012 (last edited: 11th November, 2012)
The amber and vanilla here are pretty solid, while the woods backing them are but a whisper. It all fades fairly quickly, unfortunately, though the vanilla fades a bit more quickly allowing for the woods to become more prominent as time wears on. And although oud is in the name, the primary wood that emerges as the vanilla subsides is cedar.

The whole experience in very simple and underwhelming despite the obviously high quality ingredients. I cannot condone a $400 purchase for something that's "a'ight." Nah'mean?
29th April, 2012
I got very little oud out of this. It is however a very warm vanilla/amber blend. I wish it packed more oud to make it more masculine
02nd March, 2012