Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Rume by Slumberhouse

Prunes. Fruitcake. Mincemeat pie. Rum. Candied citrus peel. This registers as gourmand. Red wine note, or fermented grapes. Honeyed labdanum. I like it, but I'm not falling hard for it.
30th June, 2014
This opens with a fermented spicey monster projection. I have tried 10 Slumberhouse frags, and the commonality is that they are all over-poweringly strong. It's like hearing a great tune, but turning up the volume to the max...it is too much. This dried down to a more managable mix.
11th March, 2013
Marais Show all reviews
An intense Christmas-spice scent, with dark orange, cinnamon, clove and stewed fruits. Great projection and longevity. Avoid spraying on white fabric as it leaves a light green residue. Overall, a bit too close to pot-pourri for me to consider as a personal fragrance. Would be great in winter, with the cap removed and a few reeds stuck in it.
20th January, 2013
Notes: bay leaf, myrrh, labdanum, clay, cola, filbert, hay.

The comparison to Serge Lutens is very true, this is definitely in that style (sweet, powerful, dried-fruit).
The website has a fanciful description, "pralined fur laced in dark red spice" -- and that did not cause me to look forward to the trial in happy anticipation. :(
It is very sweet, intensely sweet, aggressively sweet. It is like dried dates steeped in warm, spicy rum. That may sound attractive to some -- to me, not.
There is a clay-mineral note behind the sweetness.
Very quickly a coumarin note appears to suggest hay and cured tobacco.
The scent gets more interesting as the uber-sweet blitz burns off.
This becomes a very gentleman's club sort of scent: it evokes images of humidors, polished wood furniture, pipe tobacco, old leather books.
Very powerful... and yet I don't find it to have longevity. Essentially done in an hour for me.
Not my style, but more problematic for me was the relentlessly sweet opening.
04th October, 2012