Neutral Reviews of Rume by Slumberhouse

Grateful I didn't blind buy a full bottle of Rume. Granted, it's pretty difficult to find, but I'm sure patience would pay off in time if someone was looking for a full bottle. My advice however would be to get a small sample before considering a blind buy with this one. Let's see...where to begin. At the beginning I guess.

The opening is the straight up smell of fermentation. This is 100 proof red wine for the first 10 minutes. I love many fragrances that have alcoholic beverage notes. Gin, scotch, cognac, bourbon, etc. Rume's wino breath in the opening however smells like fermented prunes. Another smell this reminds me of is an old time health remedy my mother used to give me as a kid called, Beef, Iron, and Wine, so there is a home remedy tonic presence to Rume. As the scent develops, the spices begin to increase and add to the overall fragrance, which helps it in my opinion. This is when it starts to take on some of the potpourri vibe. After a few hours I smelled the hay accord that some have mentioned. I don't smell the cola note that many have said they smelled, but I did have several people say they could smell a cola like scent with Rune, so I guess it must be there. My nose still smells, prune wine or strong red wine with some spice and hay accord. At around the 6 hour mark I felt the composition had melded into a nicer presence. I also noticed the praline note which indeed has a nutty quality. Honestly, Rume isn't very accessible for the average person looking for an enjoyable fragrance to wear. This one requires work and patience from the perspective of the wearer. It would also require patience from the people around you as you wore it. My first reaction was, "yuck". But as I had patience and let it develop over the course of the day, I came to appreciate things about Rume. I don't need a full bottle by any means, but I'll continue to check it out from time to time, and who knows, maybe if I "Rume"inate long enough in this stuff I'll come to actually want more than a sample. At present though a sample is ample. Neutral for now...
15th April, 2017
Overpowering even with a small daub. Nice spice scent, but wow...I could smell nothing else but This scent all day
16th May, 2016
Prunes. Fruitcake. Mincemeat pie. Rum. Candied citrus peel. This registers as gourmand. Red wine note, or fermented grapes. Honeyed labdanum. I like it, but I'm not falling hard for it.
30th June, 2014

This opens with a fermented spicey monster projection. I have tried 10 Slumberhouse frags, and the commonality is that they are all over-poweringly strong. It's like hearing a great tune, but turning up the volume to the max...it is too much. This dried down to a more managable mix.
11th March, 2013
Marais Show all reviews
An intense Christmas-spice scent, with dark orange, cinnamon, clove and stewed fruits. Great projection and longevity. Avoid spraying on white fabric as it leaves a light green residue. Overall, a bit too close to pot-pourri for me to consider as a personal fragrance. Would be great in winter, with the cap removed and a few reeds stuck in it.
20th January, 2013
Notes: bay leaf, myrrh, labdanum, clay, cola, filbert, hay.

The comparison to Serge Lutens is very true, this is definitely in that style (sweet, powerful, dried-fruit).
The website has a fanciful description, "pralined fur laced in dark red spice" -- and that did not cause me to look forward to the trial in happy anticipation. :(
It is very sweet, intensely sweet, aggressively sweet. It is like dried dates steeped in warm, spicy rum. That may sound attractive to some -- to me, not.
There is a clay-mineral note behind the sweetness.
Very quickly a coumarin note appears to suggest hay and cured tobacco.
The scent gets more interesting as the uber-sweet blitz burns off.
This becomes a very gentleman's club sort of scent: it evokes images of humidors, polished wood furniture, pipe tobacco, old leather books.
Very powerful... and yet I don't find it to have longevity. Essentially done in an hour for me.
Not my style, but more problematic for me was the relentlessly sweet opening.
04th October, 2012