Reviews of The One Sport by Dolce & Gabbana

Find out more about The One Sport by Dolce & Gabbana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Zenwannabee's avatar
    Zenwannabee

I actually found that I preferred this to The One original, which I liked but which seemed to me more nutmeg-heavy than anything else. But maybe I wanted more of a spicy musk, and I liked the patchouli on the dry-down with this one. Good warm weather sporty fragrance. The sillage seems just fine to me. It's a long-lasting scent with modest projection. In fact, as with most D&G fragrances in my opinion, one should be careful not to over-apply, so as not to asphyxiate those around you, especially in an office setting. Worth a try.

29 March, 2014

Alexey's avatar
    Alexey
    Germany Germany

Thumbs up for 'The One Sport' - Dolce & Gabbana

I went to the store and wanted to try dolce & gabbana's 'the One' - out of mistake I tried 'Sport' and fell in love with it. It is light and slightly fresh (thus the aquatic notes) but at the same time slightly sweet. But not in a Tom Ford kind of sweet, but in a more gentle way.

I loved it ever since.

13 February, 2014

VanMarlton's avatar
    VanMarlton

Average

Apparently doesn't have much to do with original One. It's an okay aquatic scent but completely generic and boring. Probably would be okay as a gift for someone who doesn't have any other fragrances and thus has no good frame of reference. I must have smelled a few dozen of scents that were identical to this. Why bother..

Pros: Clean, not offensive
    Cons: Boring and easily forgettable"

20th September, 2013

nosyneighbor's avatar
    nosyneighbor

Safe pick for the youth market

Something a lot of reviews leave out is this is aimed at a youth market -- for the gym, the summer, guys who don't yet know that less is more. (Some never learn that lesson!)

A lot of perfume reviews come from niche enthusiasts, I think, and the tell is the demand for an Extreme or an EDP. But if Sport flankers weren't selling, there wouldn't be so many of them. These are the same people who complain that most movies feature a young male protagonist discovering how awesome he is. That's who is buying tickets to the movies, folks. So it is with Sport scents.

If a coworker asked for a recommendation on what to buy their 16-year-old son for his birthday, I would recommend this without hesitation. The rosemary aka "dew of the sea" enhances the marine notes of The One Sport, blending nicely with the woody spicy notes and fresh citrus. There is a touch of a salty ambergris smelling note, undoubtedly fake but thoughtfully represented.

This could easily be a Creed, but the price is even a little steep for mainstream. You can find it on sale in many places, since it was released in February, and we're reaching the end of summer. That is a big part of The One Sport's charm, too, is its trendiness. Whether it holds up to time depends.

Pros: Respected house, pleasant smell
    Cons: Pedestrian, unoriginal, generic"

28 July, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

Flankers have something to prove to begin with, above and beyond the original. The original was average, but this is average average generic. I couldn't pick it out of a mass of other sport flankers.

05 May, 2013

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

i got a steal. the 8ml bottle for 4 bucks and i have been liking it very much so. the pyramidis quite misleading though.no cardamon or patchouli but a nice overdose of aquatics and a nice musk background. this is the standout from the "one"series. don't put it off because of the other 2 frags,very nice and safe summer scent.

01st May, 2013

tiger wood's avatar
    tiger wood

run of the mill,poor longevity and projection. melon/musk scent thatis average at best. what makes it worst is that it comes from dolce&gabbana so we expect more. the whole one line has been less than average as all 3 have poor longevity..

05 April, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar
    OCNBreeze7

The One Sport.. I love to play..!!

Guys - the relatively new fragrance by Dolce is fantastic..!! The One Sport opens with aquatic and citrus notes then settles down with notes of floral, musk, powder, and spice - Nice blend of notes that is easy on the nose.. Well done Dolce and Gabbana..!!

All of you know I am a fan of the aquatic citrus fragrances - having said this, I believe One Sport offers great flexibility and versatility that it can be worn during any season, for any occasion, and day or night... Probably marketed more for the younger crowd - but us 40+ old guys that can't let go of our 30s (and 20s) can wear this too..!! We have all the money (and the women)..!!

Today was actually my first day wearing the scent and a (female) co-worker after walking in my office says, "gee, it smells great in here..!!" I responded with - "it is probably the air freshener over on the credenza", but no - it turns out it was me and One Sport. The bizarre thing is - I had given up on the fragrance still being detectable some two hours earlier. It was still working and The Wow Factor made its presence known.. It has potential..!! I would prefer the projection and sillage to be better, but it is average as well as the longevity. Sure, there are better performers out there, but this juice is good...

The bottle and packaging are first class - no surprises from Dolce.. I am especially fond of the clear bottle and clarity of the juice - nicely done..

The pricing and value could be better... Yes, the price is dropping and you are buying a (great) Dolce fragrance, but I have been spoiled with buying fragrances at a discount.. Yes, I may have the money, but do enjoy that good buy at a "sale price"...

All things considered, I give One Sport 4.2 stars out of 5 stars. The fragrance is pleasant and you will like it immediately. While it has potential Wow Factor, it is early or shortly after the initial application. Great juice, but needs just a little more longevity/projection/sillage for the money. If the price continues falling, perhaps to below $50.00, definitely buy.. Imagine and Dream..!!

12 January, 2013

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

Nowadays, there are so many new fragrances coming out and so many are emulations of what has all ready been; it's truly a challenge to find something truly interesting that truly stands out.
    Well "The One" Sport version is truly not it.
    That being said, what it IS is quite good. It's a citrusy aquatic with a touch of earthy patchouli in the base. Very moderate sillage, close to the skin on drydown. It's very crisp and clean with just enough of a stand-out quality (it's that dash of patchouli!) to separate it from the legions of mediocre aquatics. Enough with the aquatics all ready! They've been done to death.
    D & G (not to be confused with P&G!) produce consistently excellent fragrances for reasonable prices. That they discontinued BY for Men is something of a mystery, for it was certainly one of their best...Anyways:
    The One Sport may not be the most exciting fragrance ever made. It's kind of a throwback to the mens fragrances of the 50's and 60's. They were quiet but classic. Designed to make a man smell great, stand out but not call undue attention to himself. The One Sport is something you could wear anytime or anyplace. Spray, spritz, splash with abandon. I may just get myself a bottle.

03 January, 2013

vsnrao36's avatar
    vsnrao36

I came across this one at the Dubai Duty Free and earlier used the D&G Pour Homme, just tried this one. Though the top note was very pleasant, by the time I reached by boarding gate, it was all but gone! I was disappointed with such poor longevity for a D&G EDT costing a good 50 dollars at launch.

02 December, 2012

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

It's a copy of Bvlgari Aqua Marine with absolutely no sillage and exquisitely poor longevity. Very bland fragrance that can be "beaten" easily by a simple aftershave.

28 October, 2012

jarroditshallbe's avatar
    jarroditshallbe

A soccer team of boys and girls sit on the sidelines of a game. They are waiting to play on an uncomfortable metal bench. They didn't get to play the first half. Eagerly, they eat oranges for energy. The mix of citrus and their varying deoderants are strong due to their close proximity. They queitly talk amongst themselves about things other than the game at hand.

16 October, 2012

Jeszra's avatar
    Jeszra

I received a sample of this and gave it to my fiance to try. I loved it on him and wanted to attack him whenever he wore it. I tried smelling a bunch of other dept. store men's fragrances and didn't like anything else as much as this so I bought him the Holiday set (large and small bottle for $85).

I don't agree with the reviews of poor sillage on this. He puts one spray on his chest in the morning and it's pretty strong when I'm close to him during the day. But when we lay down at night I love to bury my face in his chest and smell him. By then the scent is softer and a nice spicy woodsy with some roundness from the patchouli and musk. I'm not particularly a fan of other aquatics but I do like it in this blend.

02 October, 2012

Smelly Dude's avatar
    Smelly Dude

I was given a sample vial of The One Sport at a department store. There is no way I'd pay money for this.

When it first goes on, it seems to stuggle with whether it wants to be an aquatic or not. It's slightly heavier than many aquatics, but it's also quite bland. There's a generic musky opening with a hint of non-descript citrus. It dries down into the olfactory equivalent of Muzak. Sillage and projection are average. It well and truly outstays its welcome; it lasts all day on me.

There are varieties of Axe/Lynx that smell better.

21st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 August, 2012)

synthetic's avatar
    synthetic

Because the original wasn't weak enough.
    Not bad, just painfully boring.

11th August, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Boring musky aquatic with a touch of balsams in the composition, an initial dusty-marine identity and a woody-fluidy backbone with hints of grapefruit and patchouli i suppose. Useless and uninspired.

01st July, 2012

lespritz's avatar
    lespritz

No clue who'd pay for this crud. Boring and fades in seemingly seconds. Pass.

28 April, 2012

Castoreum's avatar
    Castoreum

I have some agreement and some disagreement with the first two reviews.

AGREED: It is an aquatic; it is "light" and "fresh".

DISAGREED: Poor longevity.

I am not a scientist and I do not know the technical terms for the phenomenon where the scent of a fragrance is lost to the wearer, but remains - sometimes quite well - for others. Yet we all know what I am writing about. Well, THIS fragrance displays that characteristic. I bought a bottle of this based largely "the smell". Simply, subjectively, it is a very pleasant "smell". It is not offensive, it is not overly strong. It is something of a cross between D & G Light Blue Pour Homme and Allure Sport COLOGNE SPORT (nowhere near as strong as that one). It is something one can wear when they must be around others who may not care for colognes at all, eg, AT WORK. I have worn this to work (the operating room, including preop holding [RNs galore], the OR, and recovery room). I have had more complements from the ladies than for anything else I wear, except for Terre d'Hermes. And they are complementary to the point of actually asking me to write down the name of the fragrance, as if to enable them to get it for their guy. While subtle, that request from a lady surpasses the polite, semi-flirtaceous "Oh, you smell nice..."

Importantly, I apply maybe 3-4 sprays at 5:30 am and these complements / requests are coming from the ladies by as late as 11 am. And I will readily admit that I myself have lost the fragrance by 7 am.

So this clearly is a case of a fragrance the scent of which is lost to the wearer relatively quickly BUT which remains noticeable to others for a much longer time.

20th April, 2012

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

I guess it was only a matter of time. It is not bad, just not new or different or special enough to warrant purchase. That said, it is one of the few sporty orientals on the market, just not sure that is a good mix.

15 April, 2012

SteelerOpera's avatar
    SteelerOpera

I double the sentiment of drakecito. At first I was a little optimistic with this one, a very fresh blast of aquatic goodness, but it disappears soooo quickly.

31st March, 2012

drakecito's avatar
    drakecito
    Spain Spain

Another aquatic, boring and light fragance.

Poor longevity.