Neutral Reviews of Casbah by Robert Piguet

Angelica root is such a strong note, and it dominates the opening, scaring me off slightly. As it fades, though, the perfume becomes softer and more agreeable in the middle, the kind of development that could make me appreciate the top. Into the base, however, new harshness develops, presumably from the intensity of the incense.
20th July, 2016
Heavily spiced creations can be too much for me, even in cold weather. It’s their dusty, pungent, staleness that becomes too great a weight to be carrying around. Combining heavy floral notes with spices is sometimes redemptive in a knock-out way, more often it just envelopes the wearer in a miasma.
Casbah takes a different route and I was surprised at how much I liked it when I first smelled it on a card. On my skin it quickly scattered pepper and nutmeg but with a green marigold-like vibrancy that complemented and lifted the spices. The incense is not smoky, but sharp. The iris provides a vegetal cushion. Were it not for the overall dryness, this would convey a spice forest mood, one I could quite happily visit from time to time. In its animation and its array of sharp notes it offers a different turn to the spice route.
However, flattens considerably after a couple of hours into a subdued, almost floury, nutmeg which is a bit of a yawn.
14th December, 2012
Kaern Show all reviews
Marrakesh in a bottle. Very spicy -- bit of a nose botherer.
15th August, 2012