Reviews of Santal Blush by Tom Ford

An elegantly structured oriental woody composition. Santal Blush is a sweet,creamy blend of soft woods, subtle spices and dry benzoin tinged with light florals.i was expecting something more different,I don't feel there is anything new or wow here.smells like a creamy sandalwood laced with a sweet balsamic benzoin.could be a good one for layering.grown up without feeling dated,sweet without being juvenile. Sensuous, Sweet,Cuddly,Delicious,Woody,Warm,Smooth, Comforting and Sexy in a very Subtle Way.

In this composition the top notes becomes addictive enriched by the caraway and spices.floral hearts is sublimated by feminine touches of ylang ylag and jasmine while the sandalwood,benzoin,cedar musky base notes create a creamy sensation that wraps the skin in a voluptuous halo great for bed time take him to your bed while embracing each other until both of you will feel sleepy.the spices are very subtle here.the sandalwood is prominent.definitely worth if your a sandalwood lover.

Sillage?Good.

Longevity?About 6 hours on my skin.

6.5/10

06th September, 2016
A slightly spicy fragrance with a nice sandalwood base. Has an expensive soap vibe. I actually didn't think I would like this before I sprayed it on my skin. Turned out to be pretty good. A nice rose note with a hint of musk is in this as well. For the price, I would have to decline though. I believe you can find much better at a better price.
18th August, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
Salty, with desiccated sweet fruits over dry sandalwood with hints of spices and a musky base. Santal Blush is a meritage of a scent in which all the elements—gourmand spices, floral notes (rose, jasmine, Ylang Ylang), salty, musky skin notes—support and complement the star of the show, which is sandalwood. This is a classic Tom Ford Private Blend composition with its emphasis on one note but Santal Blush is more original than most of the scents in this line. Whereas Tom Ford often takes a well-known construct, embellishes it and raises it through the use of expensive natural ingredients (e.g. the way that Italian Cypress becomes an expensive niche version of Z-14), this scent is more original and really apart and separate from the other—mostly niche-sandalwood scents like Tam Dao, Santal Mysore, etc. Santal Blush is completely unisex—with the big florals and sandalwood this could have drifted into Samasara territory but does not. While I have never tried the 1918 Maderas de Oriente by Myrurgia, this is what I imagine it smelled like. I wonder if Yann Vasnier had that in mind.
12th May, 2016

Santal Blush is a light veil essence of sandalwood that lasts and radiates for many hours. Potent stuff. I like the hint of cumin at the outset to add some depth and background grounding character - could have had more of that for my taste. Every note listed for the fragrance expresses some aspect that is part of and from within the spectrum of a pure sandalwood idea or concept of what sandalwood is all about. Is this a great fragrance? No, but it is an excellent sandalwood story. The notes: Sandalwood, Cinnamon, Cumin, Fenugreek, Carrot seed, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang ylang, Benzoin, Agarwood, Musk - all play a part. In comparison to other sandalwood fragrances I've owned it is much milder and more unisex than Santal 33, less cedar than Tam Dao, and has not nearly the Indian culinary spices of Santal Mysore. But it is true to the aroma of real sandalwood oil only amped up to be much more radiant than the real stuff ever was. Best applied lightly so it hides in the mysteries and the recesses but lasts as a blush of sandalwood aroma that radiates on liquid light dust through the ethers. Sandalwood is a difficult scent to reproduce as the pure oil is so light, creamy and ethereal that it almost escapes notice when worn by itself. But it is extremely resilient as is Santal Blush. This might have been a better fragrance if Yann Vasnier had not tried to replicate sandalwood aroma so realistically and created a metaphor using bolder punctuation of spice, incense, tar and woods. I like Santal Blush, since I do enjoy sandalwood and wood scents in general. Do I like it more than the other sandalwoods mentioned above? Not sure I would go that far, but Santal Blush is an adequate portrayal of sandal wood that is flying under the radar of most wood fans. Check it out.
29th September, 2015
I'd heard about Tom Ford Santal Blush being unisex so I wanted to try it out, and while it does lean feminine, it is an interesting mix of sandalwood, musk, and spices that some men might find appealing. It's unusually soft, being pretty unoffensive / non-acidic from the very start, gradually becoming more powdery throughout its dry down. I cannot identify most of the top notes but what I get from Santal Blush is mainly the mix of the base notes.

I can see this working for some men, but not me, as I'm left far more with the "blush" (the makeup / cosmetics smell) than the "santal" (sandalwood) myself, but I'm sure it works differently on other skill.

Nothing special as far as projection or longevity, and uninspiring even as a female scent, I probably wouldn't even recommend this to women I know, especially given the price.

5 out of 10
27th May, 2015
At first glance it was unpleasant but as it wore down I thought warm and pretty. But I couldn't get away from this scent it became to overwhelming I couldn't wait to shower. Unfortunately that wasn't it, it stayed on my clothes(which I didn't even spray) and overwhelmed my closet. Now feeling nausea from this scent it's like that time I drank to many gin martinis and now when I smell gin it makes me sick. Sorry
25th February, 2015
A buttery, creamy sandalwood, with a generous pinch of spice. ln fact there is a slight curry vibe here from the cumin & fenugreek, but this accord is not at all overwhelming or sweat-like; it merely serves to give some warmth & interest to the woody notes. The heart is powdery, sweet & yet savoury. l don't get any of the listed floral notes. ln the first hour the projection is good; l get pleasant wafts of fragrance each time l move. After this it settles closer, but the drydown is a persistent, drier mix of incense smoke, wood & a subtle, suede-like leather. Unlike some other reviewers, l find that this fragrance does develop, & l would say it is definitely unisex.
l could be seriously tempted to buy a bottle of this, but oh, the price!
29th March, 2014
flush

I smelled australian sandalwood essential oil earlier today and it smelled like curdled cedar. Incidentally, it also smelled a lot like Santal Blush.

I’d blush, too.

from scent hurdle.com

27th June, 2013
If you like Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood collection, you will like this. I'm not sure how different TF Santal Blush is from C&E's EdT Sandalwood, but in my memory, it's a near exact match.

For fun, I tested side by side TF Santal Blush, Tam Dao by Diptyque, and Santal Sacre by Lucky Scents. This is what I found - the person who said this isn't a dry scent was right... it's "juicier" than the others; where TD is warm as a sandalwood, almost a gourmand, and SS is spicy and dry, TF is moister. It is longer lasting than SS, and more bitter than TD. The cedar seems to come out in the heart note, it's not immediate.

For reference, my favourite sandalwood so far is Santal Sacre, but this one's definitely worth a bottle (for me). I also waited several hours for the base note to come out. (Dude's right who says it's mostly linear, but it does lighten) and layered some Serge Luten's Feminte du Bois. Yes, we have a winner.

Today I applied Tom Ford SB to my arms, with some tiny dabs of Bond No9 I love New York on the wrists. This afternoon, after those are dried down, I'll add FdB... By the time I get home I'm going to smell like I've been sitting in a cedar sauna, burning sandalwood incense and chewing on vanilla beans all day :)

01st May, 2013
jcw122 Show all reviews
My girlfriend was unimpressed with this scent. Said "Pretty grandma smelling but with a twist".
08th April, 2013
A fresh powdery woody creamy suede like scent is what I'm picking up here and if this is Sandalwood then it smells like it has been watered down. Smells a bit like womens hand cream, I will have to pass on this one.
26th October, 2012
Wow! This is my HG fragrance for my wife, if that makes any sense. This fragrance is an ephemeral pleasure that I enjoyed at first spray so much I bought a 500.00 flacon on the spot. This is the most pleasant presentation of Santal that I ever put my nose on. The name is dead on: Sandelwood(Santal) with floral/rose/flowers blooming/pink (Blush).

The fragrance is fairly linear with only minimal development that occurs in the first few minutes. This is usually consider bad for a fragrance but in this case I love it because fragrance s ells so great the fact that it does not develop just means you smell great all the way through the dry down. I detect 3 distinct notes: Sandelwood, Floral (of which rose is the only actual flower I detect again ie. "Blush"), and cedar. I pretty much dete t these notes throughout the dry down. Most Sandelwood fragrances I have smelled are usually on the "dry" side. In this case the fragrance has a "wet" feel. Not in the marine or aqua sense but more like stepping outside after a heavy rain where everything is soaked but the sun has come out and is shining on the puddles and the leaves and grass are wet. The fragrance has minimal to moderate sillage- you catch whiffs of fragrance here and there. It last 8-10 hours and projects about the same the whole time. Thie projection could be a turn off if you enjoy scents like Black Orchid. This is the type of scent that draws others in for a "second whiff". I would consider this a feminine fragrance- IMHO.

A visual of the fragrance: Imagine stepping out into your backyard after a heavy rain storm. The wind broke into two several Sandelwood trees and a small cedar tree. Your rose bushes and other flowers are blown all over your yard. The ground is puddled with rain water and the trees are soaked. You step into your yard and take a deep breath. Bingo- you just smelled the most amazing fragrance called Santal Blush.
12th August, 2012
Santal Blush is a pleasant surprise. The name and the bottle would have you expecting yet another overly sweet and synthetic candy confection, and one definitely geared to women. That’s not the case. On the contrary, SB is a straightforward sandalwood: woodsy, dry, airy, yet creamy and lightly spiced -- just right. In other words, it smells like Mysore, which is yet another surprise; how many “sandalwoods” these days actually smell like the real thing? Yet if my information is correct, no Mysore sandalwood is at work here – a tribute to the perfumer (Yann Vasnier) for making it happen, however he did it. Staying power is pretty good as well; just a couple of spritzes lasted a good while. And for the guys (like myself) who wouldn’t feel completely at ease wearing the wonderful Bois des Iles (a tad too sweet), SB is a sandalwood any guy could feel comfortable with, anywhere, summer or winter. A class act. (And less harsh than Villoresi’s Sandalo.)
16th July, 2012

mumsy Show all reviews
Upon first application, there was a fleeting but strong smell of mysore sandalwood and I settled down, expecting to really enjoy this. However, it started as a soft, sweet, floral, spicy sandal, but gently dissolved into the most extraordinary plastic version of itself. I felt like a chemical hothouse. I managed it for about four hours. Every time I moved this plastic woodsy perfume followed me and I'm afraid it became a scrubber for me. It just proves you don't need a good perfume for sales, just some chemicals and a good handsome lead man for the advertising. I would expect much better than this from a high profile line. I hope Tom doesn't wear it himself.
09th July, 2012
The worst TF I ever bought.
Can't use it, it smells synthetic and poor.
I tried to wear it twice and than I gave it to a friend
05th May, 2012 (last edited: 09th May, 2012)
I sprayed some of this on my arm in Neiman's as an afterthought and for the next few hours I was held captive by the most irresistibly luscious mouthwatering buttered rum carmel you can imagine. The beautiful intoxicating wood is there just beneath the sugar. The scent wills you to breath it in deeply. The agarwood adds an almost buttery depth. This fragrance conveys an eroticism of temptations, sensory overindulgence, of compulsion leading to excess, but it never crosses a line leading to vulgarity because of it's glowing quiet beauty. I'm wary that anything this rich must inevitably lead to sensory fatigue and indeed by the end of the first day of wearing this I'd had enough. But overindulgence has it's rewards. It will be good while it lasts.
01st April, 2012 (last edited: 08th April, 2012)