Reviews of Legend by Montblanc

Find out more about Legend by Montblanc in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

bell'uomo's avatar

First thing's first, I've never worn, tried, or smelled Abercrombie & Fitch's Fierce (but it's on my list of scents to try now.) I can't make the comparison between the two but I'll take everyone at their word that the two smell very similar. This was given to me by a girlfriend a couple years back. That first bottle of it lasted longer than the girlfriend did.

This is definitely one of those "manly" colognes. When I first spray it on, I get a strong bergamot scent, which I very much like. That eventually fades and gives way to a mild, predominantly sandalwood smell. It has moderate projection and sillage but the longevity is way above average. I sometimes can still smell it on me the next morning--almost 24 hours. I feel it would be a bit too strong for summer, but any other time I think this one works fine. Of all the colognes in my collection, this EdT by Mont Blanc gets the most compliments from the ladies, by far.

09th March, 2015

Aether33's avatar

This stuff is 'legendary' amongst women...

This rivals VS Very Sexy for Men for getting the most compliments from women.

I imagine that the pineapple opening has much to do with this. This note appears to be universally liked by women. ( Aventus comes to mind)

The opening is mostly this 'legendary' note of pineapple to my nose, sweet yet masculine. And this is basically it up until hours later when a VERY faint note of oakmoss appears.

It's a very pleasant fragrance without a doubt, but its unsophisticated and not my personal preference. My fave note is leather. But women at work have complimented me on Legend, and in a very overtly manner too. There is something in this that creates a very interesting reaction in them. My fave reaction came from my wife who upon spraying Legend on me she said "Wow, you smell like sex'...

Puzzling and equally incredible...

18th February, 2015

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Masculine fruity aromatic fragrance with interesting notes (lavender, pineapple, oakmoss, coumarin, pomarose) and good longevity.
    Beautiful bottle too.

23rd November, 2014

Darvant's avatar

Legend is effectively generic but is not that poor stuff. Its structure (a classically dark-aromatic fougere accord of lavender, sharp floral notes, woods and oakmoss) is not far from Grigioperla by La Perla. The aroma is a pleasant aromatic and elegant formula with a freshly spicy (strong) lavender-bergamot-oakmoss opening, a dynamic woody virile basic contruction with undiscernible (or better, barely discernible) floral notes and plenty of synthetic woods. I don't detect all that (just barely present) resemblance with Fierce (both are virile, spicy-woody and rosey but Fierce is more spicy in my opinion). The lavender-coumarine-verbena freshness and the generic "warmth" from the tonka-wood accord are still there till the end. Synthetic in the average. Just not bad.

09th November, 2014 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2015)

silentrich's avatar

It's pretty basic and it's close to A&F Fierce. There's really not much more to say than that. If you like Fierce than this is a less expensive alternative. Could also be a poor man's Chanel Platinum Egoiste, but overall that fragrance is quite a bit better than this. Personally, I'd go with the PE from the start and pass on this and Fierce. Decent for the price, but overall it's lacking.

05th October, 2014 (Last Edited: 02nd February, 2015)

Puremugler's avatar

I love this stuff. Yes it smells like fierce. But my wife loves this, and does her mom, and her mom's mom. So does just about every lady that comes into contact with me when I wear this. I think that this frag, unlike fierce, can work for any age group. I wear this on date night, church, and to the office. Never let's me down. This will be in my collection for a long time

04th August, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Generic calone, generic woods, generic green notes, generic amber, generic aldehydes... a fresh, cozy, stereotypical post-2000s "contemporay average man scent". Axe Deodorant in a perfume bottle. Next!

30th June, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

It's a good sweet and fruity fragrance.
    I don't like fruity fragrances but this is a good one with so pleasant smell.
    Start with sweet pineapple and some apple notes.
    It's not synthetic. it's well balanced.
    In the dry down and base some floral notes comes in but the fruity and sweet notes are dominating here and anything else is in the background!
    Great projection at the start but very soon become skin scent. the longevity is above average.
    Good fragrance but it's so generic! there are tons of fragrances out there that smell like this.
    Not my cup of tea!
    And this fragrance is similar to Creed Aventus only for a few minutes at the start because of the pineapple note. after that they are completely different!

10th May, 2014

Adama's avatar

Smells exactly like Abercrombie's Fierce. While I enjoyed that fragrance years ago, I don't want to smell like it today.

04th May, 2014

Kokmister's avatar

When I first smelt this fragrance I was obsessed and have since been using it for about 1 year now.
    It is a very unique yet novel scent that would suit a more alpha male or a teenage boy for example and is good for everyday use, though my only concern is the longevity of the scent is completely hopeless.

10th March, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Boring, uninventive, unoriginal. Reminds me a lot of Trussardi Uomo 2011. and Cavalli Just Him 2013, then Gucci Guilty. Before all those mentioned there was Boss Selection that started it all. Sweet and fresh, a bit cold in character. The composition of notes implies that this is a complex scent, which is far from the truth. This is the perfume for people who operate on the "SA pointed it out, it's the newest" level. I don't know on what path this house was before this fragrance as I've never tried any besides this one, but I'm sure that, on whichever path they were, they've strayed from it with this creation. Reason I'm rating it neutral, and not negative, albeit my review implies the obvious negativity, is that this scent does what it's supposed to - appease the simple masses and maybe even garner a compliment or two to a younger, well attired wearer.

04th December, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar

Not bad.

A more cost effective alternative to Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce.

Imagine a more temperate Fierce with the woodsy/fresh notes shuffled around a bit, and you basically have Mont Blanc Legend. Worth a shot!

Pros: Affordable
    Cons:

02nd June, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Legend by Mont Blanc

It's not very similar to Platinum Egoiste, but it is very similar to Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce. Although it lacks the projection that Fierce has, the price is much better and more affordable. Still, being able to smell an Abercrombie from over 50 feet away in a mall has dampened my interest for this kind of fragrance.

29th May, 2013

Bobster's avatar

To compare this to Chanel's Platinum Egoist is an insult. If I wanted to wear alcohol I would have reached for it from my medicine cabinet. No projection, No longevity, overhyped, and overpriced. There is nothing else that needs to be said.......

15th May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

Positive review b/c it is unique...a strong top note combination that dries down into a nice well rounded fragrance. Problem is...I spritzed my arm at 3:30pm. It is now 6pm and I can only smell it if I put my nose right to my arm...2 1/2 hrs? Come on.

13th May, 2013

thines01's avatar

Abercrombie should take note of the diminished intensity of this fragrance.
    When I first smelled this, I went through everything in the cabinet (deodorant included) to try to place the familiar smell. THEN I saw the comments about Abercrombie. YES, THAT'S IT!

I walk an arc around the Abercrombie store to avoid the smell, but this stuff smells like a re-formulation of Abercrobie Fierce with the offending pungeance removed.
    I think they 'fume the place to keep older folks from getting too close to the store.

This would make a good deodorant fragrance.

11th May, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

Not bad at all. Fresh clean scent that I could wear once in a while. The bergamot and pineapple (slight pineapple) at the initial spray is ok. Smells generic, but again not bad at all. The mids are satisfactory and the base is the best part on this one. The sandalwood and tonka assist this one into being a neutral frag.

22nd November, 2012 (Last Edited: 07th December, 2012)

jacobcgi's avatar

tried this out from a sample and wore it to a party. I got no joke 15-25 complements from it. longevity is good. I own Fierce by Abercrombie and i didn't think they were identical but defiantly similar. cheaper to!

08th October, 2012

Teach13's avatar

This summer, I began to dab in the world of fragrances. When I walked up to the counter at Von Maur (sadly, the best place for fragrances anywhere near where I live), I said that I was looking for a summer scent that was "manly" and not "Axe-like." This was the first scent given to me on a card...and I was repulsed. All that hit me was alcohol. However, after reading a number of solid reviews, I gave it another try...and realized that I must have just been given a bad tester the first time...because the second time, I picked up citrus. It was clean and fresh. When I tried it on my wrist, it really opened up during the day--and I liked it even more.

Ground-breaking? No. But it's manly without being MANLY(!!) It really could be worn year-round, day or night.

13th August, 2012

genvy5's avatar

Smells almost exactly like Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce. Not as obnoxious or headache inducing -- more smooth. Still, the gal working at Nordys agreed with me when I said that. And since we both used to work at A&F, our sentiments were the same. Not a terrible choice, but too much like A&F for me to want to wear it.

23rd July, 2012

Erind's avatar

common on you guys.. serious?

this stuff is top notch.. i was at the stores and everybody agreed legend is one of the best scents out there.

shame i dont see more reviews maybe ppl dont trust mont blanc from their previous failures and i understand this. but this is a new leaf everybody.

let me just quote what i heard a lady say about this when i was at the store almost purchasing it. a lady customer not a staff memeber,

she goes ufff. wow this smells like money lol and shes bang on. it does..i smells rich powerful. manly and clean. it reminds me a rich posh bentley interior smell lol

get the drift?
    i love this and although i dont use it much i keep it as secret weapon for when i want to stand out and pull the ladies in.

get it you wont regret it

21st May, 2012 (Last Edited: 28th May, 2012)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

The initial blast is VERY strong and off putting. That is the mistake here. Very synthetic too and repulsive. The drydown is very good though, reminds me of Creed Millesime Imperial gone sexy.l

15th April, 2012

PeteH's avatar

Has an unusually offensive aluminium-based-deodorant-spray top-note which, unfortunately, persists through the drydown. Eye-watering, hugely radiant, and rock-bottom. Smells like it comes in an aerosol can from the Pharmacy. For $4.95 it would be an OK air-freshener, but personally I'm not sure I even want my bathroom to smell like this.

The male version of Amarige. Repulsive. I would run a mile from any man I smelled this on.

February 2015 revision - still foul.

23rd March, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th February, 2015)