Reviews of Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

Find out more about Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

VanAllan's avatar

Romania Romania

Another marvelous fragrance from Dior.
    I think it's important to keep in mind that is not an 'intense' version of the traditional Eau Sauvage. This one is pretty much different and, imo, the main difference here is the masterfully simplicity of combining three wonderful masculine notes (bergamot, myrrh and vetiver). The result: a balsamic, exotic, sweet-citrusy masterpiece and, in my opinion, the reason of the success of this release.

More oriental and a little bit darker than its Extreme predecesor, with a wonderful myrrh note, very well combined in the whole of the composition, surrounded by a zesty citrus top and an earthy vetiver base. It lasts 6-10 hrs on skin, with a noticeable presence in the first 2 hrs, a versatile and compelling creation. My personal rank 9/10.

06th November, 2014

Buysblind's avatar

Wow! What a great fragrance...

Eau Sauvage Parfum is a deliciously smooth accord of sweet myrrh and citric bergamot that is at once fresh, airy, creamy, soapy, and powdery. It's all of these adjectives, yet never too much of any one. Within the myrrh and bergamot there's a hint of vanilla, a cream soda-like aroma that emanates from the heart. It's grounded in vetiver, which gives it a solid base, but the vetiver is carefully restrained, a middle-of-the-road earthy wood that is neither too dark and dirty or too grassy and bright. It compliments the myrrh and allows it to shine as the star of the show. The myrrh is beyond reproach.

Stylistically, I'm too comfortable smelling this to consider it a formal fragrance, and at the same time it's so nice, I don't want to label it "casual" either. You could easily dress it up in a suit and tie, but I'd be hesitant to dress it down beyond a sweater and a good pair of jeans. Age wise, I imagine it will work best on a mature 25 and up, but don't let that limit you--it's just a reference. Projection is excellent and longevity is very good. Be careful not to go too heavy on the trigger.

Once again Dior has created something that's unique, a little unusual, and smells fantastic. The bottle looks great as well.

11th October, 2014

Wolfpocalypse Now's avatar

Very, very good stuff here. I cannot believe so few notes can create a fragrance that is so complex! It has a fresh citrus opening that does smell like an amped-up Eau Sauvage. That may actually be my favorite part of the fragrance, but the dry down is as good as advertised: sweet, spicy myrrh with a proper, sharp vetiver. It smells fantastic from start to finish. Go easy on the sprays (ONE - maybe two if it is cooler out), and it is perfectly suitable for office wear. It really shines at nighttime and when it is cooler out. I own or have owned many of the well-recognized "compliment magnet" fragrances - YSL L'Homme, La Nuit de L'Homme, Bleu de Chanel, etc. People compliment me more on this fragrance than anything else. Maybe it just suits me, or maybe it is just that damn good.

This stuff lasts longer than anything I have ever tried - spray it on at 7am, and it is still going strong at 11pm. The potency of this fragrance is to be respected, both from an appreciative point of view and a cautionary one. When I first got it, which was in July, I wore two sprays to work in the morning and had no problems - loads of compliments, and smelled great all day. I was going out to dinner with friends afterwards around 7pm, and stopped at home to "refresh" myself with a spray of this awesome new fragrance I had purchased, and put on two sprays. BIG MISTAKE. The entire drive over to the restaurant (~30 minutes) my eyes were stinging, like I had sprayed it directly on my face rather than on the sides of my neck. I don't know if I was choking out everyone around me at dinner (maybe my friends were just polite), but I was definitely choking myself out for a good couple of hours.

This stuff reminds me of an intoxicant - use it responsibly and you will have a great time. Overindulge, and you will pay for it.

04th October, 2014

Martin_'s avatar

I have read that people think this is a pure perfume or an extrait... Well, to me it's simple EDP concentration.

It has very little in common with original Eau Sauvage EDT and absolutely nothing in common with Eau Sauvage Extreme (the new one, Intense. It sounds terrible, lol).

The opening is a wonderful burst of citruses. They're very juicy. It lasts about 5 minutes or so and morphs into an oriental bomb made of myrrh, vanilla and maybe some other oriental spices. I agree that the myrrh is an absolute star here. This fragrance is very smoky. Later on it gets more and more balmier with appearance of vetiver. Fragrance from now on smells like myrrh on the woody base.

Logevity is around 15 hours, sillage is great. It was my blind buy and I can tell you - one of my best blind buys ever.

29th September, 2014

Joe_Frances's avatar

I don't know….I tried this 5 times, and each time it morphed in very short order into the current formulation of Chanel Pour Homme. It's as if the two were the same thing. I don't get it. This is a perfectly competent, quasi-sophisticated man's fragrance, but it isn't compelling, and because to me it is so derivative of the Chanel (or is it the other way around? Well, since I already own the Chanel the chronology for me is Chanel was first and the Dior is derivative), I don't find this a "must have". I can see this as a dressed up, smart man's fragrance, but so is the Chanel. My advise? It wouldn't hurt you to buy the first of these you come across and pass on the other.

15th September, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

A dominating Myrrh fragrance from the start to the middle , very power full and some how different from the available lot...I really like the the opening but I love the dry down which very very musky and smoky to me....stunning fragrance with very good silage and longevity. Thumz up.

20th May, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Wow Myrrh, who would have known. This is my first myrrh based cologne, and I love it. The myrrh combines with the vetiver giving it a very sophisticated aura. I believe it could be for evening wear. Only a few sprays though it can be a bit strong.

24th April, 2014

alfarom's avatar

There are aspects of Eau Sauvage Parfum that I completely love (e.g. the incredibly good quality vetiver and the sparkling aspects during the opening) but, unfortunately, there are also several facets that I find thoroughly unpleasant. It basically shares the same marzipan quality already found in Dior's Eau Noire which, although I'm generally a big fan of immortelle, it's probably one of the very few helichrysum-centered fragrances I totally dislike. This facet is way toned down in Eau Sauvage Parfum but it is somehow still pretty remarkable together with some extra sweetness provided by the myrrh. All in all not a completely bad fragrance but way too far from matching my taste.

Sorry.

31st March, 2014

Darvant's avatar

Lemony resinous smooth vetiver and sweet spices with dignity orchestrated in order to control the final "softness" and to preserve a certain level of hesperidic/spicy articulation (especially if you inhale the aroma at distance otherwise it risks to appear steady and pungent , probably too much intensely balmy/lemony). In the initial stage the bergamot is almost luxurious but just for a couple of minutes before the aroma keeps morphing in to a flat hesperidic strongly resinous final ointment. The standout note of myrrh is indeed powerful since the beginning, "enveloping" any trace of classic/traditional subtle (herbal/citrusy) freshness (proper of the original historical version). The aroma is anyway elegant and subtle, never cloying or overly dense or spicy along the dry down. In the final phase the myrrh is indeed more restrained and controlled . I don't catch olfactory originality or special craftsmanship but neither see particular reasons to complain about the structure or the aroma "in se". The evolution is not for sure articulated or particularly laborious and in substance the fragrance embodies by soon (not more than twenty minutes over the fist spray) its final attitude. The dry down (which anyway I moderately like) is a more subtle resinous vetiver with sweet spices (cinnamon I suppose) and a lemon orange feel (hints of neroli?). Really long lasting and with a good projection.

29th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 28th May, 2014)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I've decided to write a review about this one later but I couldn't resist anymore!
    This is one of the best releases in designer fragrances in years.
    A masterpiece that the words are not enough to describe this beauty.
    There are only three notes in this fragrance and I'm going to throw vanilla in it too which makes it four and all these four notes have stunning quality and masterfully blended together.
    The opening is a great combination of all four notes but bergamot is prominent in the opening.
    It's tart, fresh and bitter citrusy, but oily, resinous and dirty because of myrrh and also a little smoky and rooty because of vetiver.
    There is a little sweet vanilla here too to wrap it up and give the scent more depth.
    In the mid the citrusy bergamot note settles down and I can smell more myrrh and vetiver.
    It's smoky, dirty, earthy and dark but a little fresh, sweet and sexy at the same time.
    The vanilla note here smell like vanilla ice cream and give the scent a very sensual aroma.
    The base is very close to the mid as far as the smell but it's a little more vanilla ice cream like sweet and a little less smoky.
    Projection is awesome and longevity can easily pass 12 hours.
    Some people say that this fragrance smell very mature and kind of dated but I don't agree with them at all.
    This is not a casual fragrance for teenagers indeed, but if someone around 25 and up wants to smell like a real gentleman this is one of the best.

06th March, 2014

montagne's avatar

If the original ES was the rugged, rocky, snow-capped peaks of the Dolomites, the Parfum is the soft, green, nurtured hills of the Piedmonte. It’s a pity. I feel as if the Parfum misses the point of the original.

Vanilla is more pronounced than myrrh.

I’m a little tired of vanilla recently, as my wife seems to be alternating between Dior Addict and Joop le Bain, while I do my best to feign appreciation. So the vanilla here is not good news to me. It’s also a particularly flat vanilla: not the pod, with its velour; not the empty bourbon cask, with its lugubrious oak. Rather, Mr Softee ice cream, melting in rivulets down the side of a cheap wafer cone.

The myrrh, when revealed, is not the dirty, smoky, soapy myrrh of the censer or the souk. It is simply heavy, like ballast cargo in a tea clipper. It does its job unobtrusively and reliably, with aplomb, without ornament. Vinnie Burke’s double bass behind Tal Farlow and Eddie Costa.

There is, eventually, an agreeable waft of a mineral, chalky, slate texture.

The citrus is somehow less Hesperidic and more confite. Lemon curd and unsalted butter, spread on freshly baked and broken petit pain.

Nice for breakfast, but not the holy water with which to anoint the hero.

07th February, 2014

Given its ingredients – bergamot, myrrh, vetiver; and given the “Eau Sauvage” name, it would be almost impossible for me not to love this one. I totally enjoy bergamot… I’m addicted to the myrrh scents I own. As for the vetiver, I own about twelve bottles of fragrances with “vetiver or vetyver” in the name.

Even though I long ago promised myself to never again buy blind, when it came to Eau Sauvage Parfum, I didn’t think twice when I saw the limited list of levels: bergamot, myrrh, vetiver. I blind ordered a 1.7 bottle, wore it once and immediately ordered a 3.4 bottle for backup. It’s by far the best blind buy I’ve made, and not only that, Christian Dior’s Eau Sauvage Parfum has reawakened my interest in pursuing current offerings from the top designers. I love this one.

31st January, 2014

bugsyiii's avatar

Definitely a gentlemen's fragrance......this is gorgeousness (a word?) in a bottle. This does last all day at least 8 hours. I have not smelled the vintage creation, however, if it smells like this I simply bypassed a true gem!!!

22nd January, 2014

indianwells's avatar

Wales Wales

Epitomy of understated elegance.

Elegant, nonchalant, class. Nothing more.

11th September, 2013

Jack Hunter's avatar

A Wonderful Gentlemans Fragrance.

I never liked the original Eau Sauvage EDT but this modern interpretation on the original is different and very nice indeed. I get the bergamot at the start and the woody vetiver but the star of the show accord is the sweet myrrh at the heart of the scent. I know it's not in the official breakdown of notes but I swear I can smell neroli mixed in with the myrrh in this scent.

To sum up a classy gentleman's fragrance which would be perfect for the office.

05th August, 2013

Justin Case's avatar

I always prefer to buy EDP over EDT. When I tried Eau Sauvage EDT, I got excited to try the parfum thinking that it's just like the EDT but with better concentration and longevity. Unfortunately, this smelled very much like root beer on my skin. Enough said!

08th April, 2013

jimmysmellworld's avatar

More than the sum of its parts in that the fragrance plays off the sharp citrus note being rounded off by the resinous and raw nature of the myrrh. Expertly crafted, versitile and a masterpiece. One of the few EDP concentrations that is suited to a warm/hot climate, though it will fill its purpose anywhere any time. Class in bottle. Get it on your try/buy list.

25th March, 2013

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Remembering the original classic, I wasn't prepared for the warmth in this 2012 incarnation. But thankfully this phase is short-lived, the ambery/vanillic aspect mitigated by the resinous quality of the myrrh. I particularly enjoy sniffing out the lightly earthy vetiver which in this instance is excellently blended. A tinge of spice over the barest hint of leather is a leaf taken from the original playbook but the vibe is decidedly more urbane than traditionalist/conservative.

Overall a suitably classy wardrobe option for the man whose wild and partying days are well and truly behind.

09th March, 2013

's avatar

Sweet myrrh and lemons, Eau Sauvage Parfum is another masterpiece by Dior. It's a linear scent that envolves you for a long time. Vetiver is really present, but not green and bright like in many fragrances. It's resinous but a little sweet at the same time. Big thumbs up!

02nd March, 2013

's avatar

Eau Sauvage parfum is disappointing largely because it's structure tells you what it could have been with more money. It's basically a cologne (genre, not concentration) with a touch of chypric backbone; the problem, though, is that this chypre structure feels exceedingly cheap, from the flimsy amber to the plasticky vetiver as seen in Grey Vetiver. ES's only saving grace, it turns out, is a good top chord of anisic bergamot which, as so often happens, indicates that all the cash went into the first ten minutes. Too bad.

24th February, 2013

Bartlebooth's avatar

If Eau Sauvage Parfum had been released without the original having existed, I probably would have welcomed it as being an item of retro chic. It is not an enhancement of the original in anyway, but it does share the same DNA. The opening is much more citrus-centric, and it is pleasing, evoking a certain antique vibe. There are no nuanced subtleties to enjoy, this is more a fragrance of three distinct phases. Citrus, woods, and then a decent vetiver finish. For me it doesn't quite work as a whole. It feels contrived and a little ordinary.

Not only should you stick to the original issue of Eau Sauvage, go vintage too

11th February, 2013

florestano's avatar

first test "nooo" second round "maybe" third round "great" has nothing to do with real es even if the note of jasmine flowers there! But anyway this new edt is wonderful, bergamot has never been so well connected to the vetiver. Power is a true 80's powerhouse, for hours and hours it always feel better, finally a masterpiece born now!

04th January, 2013

Dictator's avatar

A bit heavy I like strong perfumes but this one is too heavy or perhaps too sweet!

Let's start with the bergamot it smells like earl grey tea.

The middle note myrrh smells more like strong vanilla.

And the vetiver is maybe just a colorant to make the juice green.

7/10 not a masterpiece but good EDP if you like sweet smells with no ''macho notes''.

Perhaps it is better to use it on hot summer nights rather than on a daily basis.

27th December, 2012

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Bergamot, myrrh, vetiver and amber high quality. Starts with a touch that adds refreshing bergamot. Gradually myrrh looks to bring sensuality to the fragrance and becomes the protagonist of the composition. Such is the quality of its ingredients, when inspired and hit my nose the smell of myrrh, I teleported to my childhood when elders used it as incense in their homes. Vetiver feels quite distant, is present, but my skin is quite smooth. Last appears amber, softening and highlighting the sensuality of sauvage. The projection and longevity is moderate in my skin. Fragrance to consider from my perspective.

20th December, 2012

senore01's avatar

Very impressed by this new Eau Sauvage Parfum version. This updated version is destined to become a masterpiece. ESP is a very rich, masculine, sophisticated, yet subtle fragrance. It is an excellent blend of myrrh, vetiver, and leather accords enveloped in a moderately, sweet, smokey, and resinous back drop. The longevity is excellent, even on my dry skin. Sillage is moderate. A gentlemens fragrance for sure. Can be worn all seasons, day/night. Can be used as a sophisticated, classy and safe signature scent.

09th December, 2012

rbaker's avatar

Again one of those dubious attempts to profit from an established name by creating a completely different new product. This scent has nothing to do with Eau Sauvage. The bergamot opening and the vetiver go well together, with the vetiver being if the darker and earthier variety and of good quality. After about four hours the myrrh breaks though and adds a warm, high-quality spice base that forms a good backbone. This latter notes starts to dominate after about five hours. Good projection and silage. Apart from the name it is completely unrelated to the ES original. One thing does not disappoint: it definitely is perfume strength with a longevity of over ten hours on me.

06th December, 2012

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Precious myrh. Long lasting and very refined.

31st October, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2014)

Virtue&Sin's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

No, is not the most original scent ever.
    No, has nothing to do with its original predecessor, the Roudnitska's masterpiece nor with the folowing ones.
    Yes, is persisting, developess beautifuly -is not entirely linear- and projects just the necessary.
    Yes, is an excellent vetiver centered perfume, enhanced by resinous elements, and probably a tobacco-leather accord not listed, as has been said.
    IMO: for men that need a slighty sweet, deep, but classy perfume to wear; uncomplicated, yet sensual, smoky, provocative.

28th October, 2012

elmatador75's avatar

You have seen that one man who does what he wants and could care less about what you think, while he gets all the money and the pretty girls? Yes? Well, he is the type that wears this fragrance. It is abnormal and retro. A sign that 80s era powerhouse fragrances will return, I hope? It is a sweet, milky elixir supported by a stubborn medicinal base of dirty, earthy vetiver: it is sinister and an elitist. It does not conform. But, it intrigues you. Its predecessor was a stately aristocrat. In contrast, Eau Sauvage Parfum is Shakespeare's Iago. And it lasts hours. Thank you, Dior, for this offering. I am attracted to your new fragrance while slightly repelled by it. Bizarre. Hence, my attraction for this odd, yet enticing creation. And for the uninitiated, or the simply dull, do not fear. For, there is always Aqua Di Gio for you. Run along now.

09th October, 2012

odysseusm's avatar

No. This won't do, won't do at all.
    As others have noted, to call something xx Parfum should suggest a more intense or long-lived version of xx. This is different than a flanker, and goodness knows Eau Sauvage has icy and leather versions of flankers. But at least one suspects something rather different than the original.
    Eau Sauvage Parfum is completely different from the classic and still delightful Eau Sauvage. Thus, this new name is misleading to the consumer.
    This scent starts with a very aromatic citrus note -- to me it smells like a chemical version of lime. Very bold, synthetic, at times like a lime Lifesaver candy and at times like a citrus-scented cleaner.
    The myrrh REALLY bulks things up in comparison with the original ES. This is a very dense and weighty scent. Here, the myrhh gives a sweet, perfumey and soapy character to the middle.
    The vetiver is not well done, in my opinion. Sometimes it suggests almond paste (marzipan), other times root beer soda.
    The scent becomes so sweet and balsamic that I eventually had to scrub it.
    Eau Sauvage was one of my earliest scents, and I still love it. This is absolutely nothing like it, nor it is good in its own right.

08th September, 2012