Positive Reviews of Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

Find out more about Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

VanAllan's avatar

Romania Romania

Another marvelous fragrance from Dior.
    I think it's important to keep in mind that is not an 'intense' version of the traditional Eau Sauvage. This one is pretty much different and, imo, the main difference here is the masterfully simplicity of combining three wonderful masculine notes (bergamot, myrrh and vetiver). The result: a balsamic, exotic, sweet-citrusy masterpiece and, in my opinion, the reason of the success of this release.

More oriental and a little bit darker than its Extreme predecesor, with a wonderful myrrh note, very well combined in the whole of the composition, surrounded by a zesty citrus top and an earthy vetiver base. It lasts 6-10 hrs on skin, with a noticeable presence in the first 2 hrs, a versatile and compelling creation. My personal rank 9/10.

06 November, 2014

Buysblind's avatar

Wow! What a great fragrance...

Eau Sauvage Parfum is a deliciously smooth accord of sweet myrrh and citric bergamot that is at once fresh, airy, creamy, soapy, and powdery. It's all of these adjectives, yet never too much of any one. Within the myrrh and bergamot there's a hint of vanilla, a cream soda-like aroma that emanates from the heart. It's grounded in vetiver, which gives it a solid base, but the vetiver is carefully restrained, a middle-of-the-road earthy wood that is neither too dark and dirty or too grassy and bright. It compliments the myrrh and allows it to shine as the star of the show. The myrrh is beyond reproach.

Stylistically, I'm too comfortable smelling this to consider it a formal fragrance, and at the same time it's so nice, I don't want to label it "casual" either. You could easily dress it up in a suit and tie, but I'd be hesitant to dress it down beyond a sweater and a good pair of jeans. Age wise, I imagine it will work best on a mature 25 and up, but don't let that limit you--it's just a reference. Projection is excellent and longevity is very good. Be careful not to go too heavy on the trigger.

Once again Dior has created something that's unique, a little unusual, and smells fantastic. The bottle looks great as well.

11th October, 2014

Wolfpocalypse Now's avatar

Very, very good stuff here. I cannot believe so few notes can create a fragrance that is so complex! It has a fresh citrus opening that does smell like an amped-up Eau Sauvage. That may actually be my favorite part of the fragrance, but the dry down is as good as advertised: sweet, spicy myrrh with a proper, sharp vetiver. It smells fantastic from start to finish. Go easy on the sprays (ONE - maybe two if it is cooler out), and it is perfectly suitable for office wear. It really shines at nighttime and when it is cooler out. I own or have owned many of the well-recognized "compliment magnet" fragrances - YSL L'Homme, La Nuit de L'Homme, Bleu de Chanel, etc. People compliment me more on this fragrance than anything else. Maybe it just suits me, or maybe it is just that damn good.

This stuff lasts longer than anything I have ever tried - spray it on at 7am, and it is still going strong at 11pm. The potency of this fragrance is to be respected, both from an appreciative point of view and a cautionary one. When I first got it, which was in July, I wore two sprays to work in the morning and had no problems - loads of compliments, and smelled great all day. I was going out to dinner with friends afterwards around 7pm, and stopped at home to "refresh" myself with a spray of this awesome new fragrance I had purchased, and put on two sprays. BIG MISTAKE. The entire drive over to the restaurant (~30 minutes) my eyes were stinging, like I had sprayed it directly on my face rather than on the sides of my neck. I don't know if I was choking out everyone around me at dinner (maybe my friends were just polite), but I was definitely choking myself out for a good couple of hours.

This stuff reminds me of an intoxicant - use it responsibly and you will have a great time. Overindulge, and you will pay for it.

04 October, 2014

Martin_'s avatar

I have read that people think this is a pure perfume or an extrait... Well, to me it's simple EDP concentration.

It has very little in common with original Eau Sauvage EDT and absolutely nothing in common with Eau Sauvage Extreme (the new one, Intense. It sounds terrible, lol).

The opening is a wonderful burst of citruses. They're very juicy. It lasts about 5 minutes or so and morphs into an oriental bomb made of myrrh, vanilla and maybe some other oriental spices. I agree that the myrrh is an absolute star here. This fragrance is very smoky. Later on it gets more and more balmier with appearance of vetiver. Fragrance from now on smells like myrrh on the woody base.

Logevity is around 15 hours, sillage is great. It was my blind buy and I can tell you - one of my best blind buys ever.

29 September, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

A dominating Myrrh fragrance from the start to the middle , very power full and some how different from the available lot...I really like the the opening but I love the dry down which very very musky and smoky to me....stunning fragrance with very good silage and longevity. Thumz up.

20th May, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Wow Myrrh, who would have known. This is my first myrrh based cologne, and I love it. The myrrh combines with the vetiver giving it a very sophisticated aura. I believe it could be for evening wear. Only a few sprays though it can be a bit strong.

24 April, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I've decided to write a review about this one later but I couldn't resist anymore!
    This is one of the best releases in designer fragrances in years.
    A masterpiece that the words are not enough to describe this beauty.
    There are only three notes in this fragrance and I'm going to throw vanilla in it too which makes it four and all these four notes have stunning quality and masterfully blended together.
    The opening is a great combination of all four notes but bergamot is prominent in the opening.
    It's tart, fresh and bitter citrusy, but oily, resinous and dirty because of myrrh and also a little smoky and rooty because of vetiver.
    There is a little sweet vanilla here too to wrap it up and give the scent more depth.
    In the mid the citrusy bergamot note settles down and I can smell more myrrh and vetiver.
    It's smoky, dirty, earthy and dark but a little fresh, sweet and sexy at the same time.
    The vanilla note here smell like vanilla ice cream and give the scent a very sensual aroma.
    The base is very close to the mid as far as the smell but it's a little more vanilla ice cream like sweet and a little less smoky.
    Projection is awesome and longevity can easily pass 12 hours.
    Some people say that this fragrance smell very mature and kind of dated but I don't agree with them at all.
    This is not a casual fragrance for teenagers indeed, but if someone around 25 and up wants to smell like a real gentleman this is one of the best.

06 March, 2014

Given its ingredients – bergamot, myrrh, vetiver; and given the “Eau Sauvage” name, it would be almost impossible for me not to love this one. I totally enjoy bergamot… I’m addicted to the myrrh scents I own. As for the vetiver, I own about twelve bottles of fragrances with “vetiver or vetyver” in the name.

Even though I long ago promised myself to never again buy blind, when it came to Eau Sauvage Parfum, I didn’t think twice when I saw the limited list of levels: bergamot, myrrh, vetiver. I blind ordered a 1.7 bottle, wore it once and immediately ordered a 3.4 bottle for backup. It’s by far the best blind buy I’ve made, and not only that, Christian Dior’s Eau Sauvage Parfum has reawakened my interest in pursuing current offerings from the top designers. I love this one.

31st January, 2014

bugsyiii's avatar

Definitely a gentlemen's fragrance......this is gorgeousness (a word?) in a bottle. This does last all day at least 8 hours. I have not smelled the vintage creation, however, if it smells like this I simply bypassed a true gem!!!

22 January, 2014

indianwells's avatar

Wales Wales

Epitomy of understated elegance.

Elegant, nonchalant, class. Nothing more.

11th September, 2013

Jack Hunter's avatar

A Wonderful Gentlemans Fragrance.

I never liked the original Eau Sauvage EDT but this modern interpretation on the original is different and very nice indeed. I get the bergamot at the start and the woody vetiver but the star of the show accord is the sweet myrrh at the heart of the scent. I know it's not in the official breakdown of notes but I swear I can smell neroli mixed in with the myrrh in this scent.

To sum up a classy gentleman's fragrance which would be perfect for the office.

05 August, 2013

jimmysmellworld's avatar

More than the sum of its parts in that the fragrance plays off the sharp citrus note being rounded off by the resinous and raw nature of the myrrh. Expertly crafted, versitile and a masterpiece. One of the few EDP concentrations that is suited to a warm/hot climate, though it will fill its purpose anywhere any time. Class in bottle. Get it on your try/buy list.

25 March, 2013

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Remembering the original classic, I wasn't prepared for the warmth in this 2012 incarnation. But thankfully this phase is short-lived, the ambery/vanillic aspect mitigated by the resinous quality of the myrrh. I particularly enjoy sniffing out the lightly earthy vetiver which in this instance is excellently blended. A tinge of spice over the barest hint of leather is a leaf taken from the original playbook but the vibe is decidedly more urbane than traditionalist/conservative.

Overall a suitably classy wardrobe option for the man whose wild and partying days are well and truly behind.

09 March, 2013

's avatar

Sweet myrrh and lemons, Eau Sauvage Parfum is another masterpiece by Dior. It's a linear scent that envolves you for a long time. Vetiver is really present, but not green and bright like in many fragrances. It's resinous but a little sweet at the same time. Big thumbs up!

02 March, 2013

florestano's avatar

first test "nooo" second round "maybe" third round "great" has nothing to do with real es even if the note of jasmine flowers there! But anyway this new edt is wonderful, bergamot has never been so well connected to the vetiver. Power is a true 80's powerhouse, for hours and hours it always feel better, finally a masterpiece born now!

04 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Bergamot, myrrh, vetiver and amber high quality. Starts with a touch that adds refreshing bergamot. Gradually myrrh looks to bring sensuality to the fragrance and becomes the protagonist of the composition. Such is the quality of its ingredients, when inspired and hit my nose the smell of myrrh, I teleported to my childhood when elders used it as incense in their homes. Vetiver feels quite distant, is present, but my skin is quite smooth. Last appears amber, softening and highlighting the sensuality of sauvage. The projection and longevity is moderate in my skin. Fragrance to consider from my perspective.

20th December, 2012

senore01's avatar

Very impressed by this new Eau Sauvage Parfum version. This updated version is destined to become a masterpiece. ESP is a very rich, masculine, sophisticated, yet subtle fragrance. It is an excellent blend of myrrh, vetiver, and leather accords enveloped in a moderately, sweet, smokey, and resinous back drop. The longevity is excellent, even on my dry skin. Sillage is moderate. A gentlemens fragrance for sure. Can be worn all seasons, day/night. Can be used as a sophisticated, classy and safe signature scent.

09 December, 2012

rbaker's avatar

Again one of those dubious attempts to profit from an established name by creating a completely different new product. This scent has nothing to do with Eau Sauvage. The bergamot opening and the vetiver go well together, with the vetiver being if the darker and earthier variety and of good quality. After about four hours the myrrh breaks though and adds a warm, high-quality spice base that forms a good backbone. This latter notes starts to dominate after about five hours. Good projection and silage. Apart from the name it is completely unrelated to the ES original. One thing does not disappoint: it definitely is perfume strength with a longevity of over ten hours on me.

06 December, 2012

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Precious myrh. Long lasting and very refined.

31st October, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2014)

Virtue&Sin's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

No, is not the most original scent ever.
    No, has nothing to do with its original predecessor, the Roudnitska's masterpiece nor with the folowing ones.
    Yes, is persisting, developess beautifuly -is not entirely linear- and projects just the necessary.
    Yes, is an excellent vetiver centered perfume, enhanced by resinous elements, and probably a tobacco-leather accord not listed, as has been said.
    IMO: for men that need a slighty sweet, deep, but classy perfume to wear; uncomplicated, yet sensual, smoky, provocative.

28 October, 2012

elmatador75's avatar

You have seen that one man who does what he wants and could care less about what you think, while he gets all the money and the pretty girls? Yes? Well, he is the type that wears this fragrance. It is abnormal and retro. A sign that 80s era powerhouse fragrances will return, I hope? It is a sweet, milky elixir supported by a stubborn medicinal base of dirty, earthy vetiver: it is sinister and an elitist. It does not conform. But, it intrigues you. Its predecessor was a stately aristocrat. In contrast, Eau Sauvage Parfum is Shakespeare's Iago. And it lasts hours. Thank you, Dior, for this offering. I am attracted to your new fragrance while slightly repelled by it. Bizarre. Hence, my attraction for this odd, yet enticing creation. And for the uninitiated, or the simply dull, do not fear. For, there is always Aqua Di Gio for you. Run along now.

09 October, 2012

TOONS1200's avatar

I'm not sure why there's so much disappointment with this masterpiece, but in my opinion it's far from simple. A dense and sophisticated fragrance. very complex,confident and sexy. at the opening it's very similar to the citrus opening to the original, but after half hour or so it gains myrrh,cinnamon,leather and patchouli to my nose. it has similarities to le labos patchouli scent (not as potent by any means) but nonetheless it has similarities. a very nice leather accord sneaks in (saddle leather,it's subtle) and earthiness from the vetiver. altogether i'd give it a 9/10

15 August, 2012

Marais's avatar

I love this juice! I'm not the biggest fan of the original's dated smell and poor longevity, so, for me, this new creation does not suffer by comparison with an ageing legend; in fact, I was very pleasantly surprised.
    The original's bergamot/citrus/vetiver bone structure is still just recognisable; but wearing an overcoat of heavenly myrrh and dark patchouli so thick that the startling transformation will inevitably confound expectations. The result is a heavy, dark, resolutely masculine fragrance which is saved from chest-beating 80s parody by a healthy helping of smooth, semi-sweet powder and quiet florals.
    There is nothing quite like it, but there are elements which remind me of Cartier's Santos and PdN's New York.
    Projection and longevity are excellent; it lasts a full day easily. One or two sprays are all that is required; more may prove a mistake. My best new fragrance discovery of 2012 so far. Bravo Demachy!

12 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2012)

furrypine's avatar

Norway Norway

I don't understand the reviews saying this is completely different from Eau Savage EdT. To me, the original notes are clearly present for most of the progression; it's like looking at the original through a piece of dark amber, the structure is intact. The parfum has great longevity and a stealthy but huge projection, go easy on the trigger.

20th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

this is a masterpiece, just like the original and the extreme version, masculine a near powerhouse!

20th June, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2013)

jtd's avatar

I’m a great fan of Eau Sauvage. I don’t have a recent bottle and am not sure what shape the current model is in. Mine is from 2001-2002, I’d guess. It’s floral, it’s pretty, it’s old-school fresh. It’s bright and inherently shiny.

There’s now Eau Sauvage Parfum, the Black Swan. It’s the dense, shadowy, witching-hour sibling of the original. Others have said they don’t smell any Eau Sauvage in the ESP, and although I understand why they say that, I do. A trace of the original is there, but the expansiveness is replaced by aloofness. Instead of the buoyant floral sillage of Eau Sauvage, ESP’s wake skates away from you like a demonstration of inertia. You stay put as she slides away from you saying. “You, sit. I’ll take care of this.”

I had a strong sense of déjà vu on sniffing ESP, and a few minutes into trying it, I knew why. Eau Sauvage Parfum smells remarkably similar to Parfums de Nicolai’s Vie de Chateau Intense, nearly Calandre/Rive Gauche similar. In my review of Vie de Chateau last year I mentioned the original Eau Sauvage, writing, “compare the first sniff of each side by side!” I don’t see this similarity as plagiarism, just as I didn’t mean to imply that Vie de Chateau was a copy of the original Eau Sauvage. More likely it’s kismet and a similar outcome from talented people investigating a similar set of ideas. I’d go so far as to say that Eau Sauvage Parfum is one of the best, most thoroughly executed mainstream releases I’ve smelled in years. It is definitive, it smells exceptionally good, and it demonstrates a classical perfume’s virtues of coherence and development. Taking Eau Sauvage, an icon, as a starting place, thinking broadly and in the end giving us a smart gem of a perfume---this is what I want from a flanker.

I’ve seen ESP called a vetiver fragrance, a myrrh fragrance. I find that the notes of hay & tobacco, the moist warmth/coolness fairly shout coumarin. Just as the swan is both ends of the spectrum in one entity, Eau Sauvage Parfum (like Vie de Chateau) comes off as a fougère/chypres hybrid taking the best form each genre.

Nice touch, the dark bottle. Brilliant magnetic cap

28 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2012)

Shifty Bat's avatar

If you've ever worn Passion for Men (Elizabeth Taylor) or Burberry's #2 you'll find in this a familiar, waxy styrax and vanilla accord which, blended with a handsome helping of bergamot, creates a scent not unlike a citronella candle with a mild, super-pleasant incense thrown in. Eau Sauvage Parfum is almost completely linear, but the blending and presentation are superb. I prefer the Burberry offering to this, but given its almost complete disappearance I am quite excited about ESP. The scant woody base is tinted green, and is a great compliment. The projection and lifespan are beyond good, even after I tried to rinse it off. Eau Sauvage Parfum is deliciously classy, and a buttery-smooth take on a dated blueprint.

This is an excellent creation in the very sense of the word. Open testers can be found at Sephora now- give it a try.

Edit: I found out what makes me think this scent is dated: The dominant myrrh note is very similar to CK Obsession. The sweet, seductive simplicity matches perfectly. If this is an attempt to rekindle interest in late 80's incense frags or just plain steal the thunder from Calvin Klein it's a very good effort.

27 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2012)

KMF's avatar

Don't let the name fool you, as this flanker is completely different from the original classic. The first difference is this scent is much more vetiver prominent than the original. Another difference is that this version completely lacks the herbal facet that is an integral part of the original. However, the biggest difference of all is that the new fragrance dries down to something that is a bit powdery. I would go as far to say that the extended dry down almost has a barbershop quality to it. Something that the original classic completely lacks.

The bottom line is that if you're looking for something related to the original fragrance, you're bound to be disappointed. This has little to do with the original ES, much in the same way Fahrenheit Absolute has little (if anything) to do with the original Fahrenheit. However, I happen to enjoy Fahrenheit Absolute on its own merits. I believe that ES Parfum would be a solid addition to any wardrobe. Test it without any preconceived notions, and you might just feel the same way...

17 May, 2012