Positive Reviews of Eau Sauvage Parfum (original) by Christian Dior

I love the 2012 version of Eau Sauvage. The Myrrh and Vetiver bind to create one of the premier scents in fragrances history. It is a travesty that Dior has chosen to discontinue this classic. If CD preferred an EDP that more closely resembled the vintage EDT they should have maintained the existing 2012 version as a woody flanker and simply added the new formula. This is a true loss to the fragrance community.
16th October, 2017
I call it "the scent of angels".
One of the best scent in the history of perfumery, if not the best. Masterpiece!
02nd October, 2017
I bought this blindly expecting it to be a more long lasting juice of the original.
Well it isn't anything like the original in any way.
The original screams of citrus and is very loud..where as this is much quieter...much more smooth and for me no citrus at all.
It is a completely different scent from the original....but actually in a very good way.
Its uber smooth and sofisticated with the bergamot and myrrh beautifully entwined.
The vetiver is a very subtle hint at the base.
It doesn't scream of high projection...but it really doesn't need to as its far too sophisticated.
Longivity is very good and will take it upto 12+ hours and beyond.
A lovely scent if you prefer the more subtle of frags with sophistication.
25th August, 2017

After some poking around downtown Toronto, I found a 2017 edit of Eau Sauvage Parfum. A first reaction on the mouillette was "weird and disappointing." I hadn't known what to expect, but I hadn't expected a blast of very nearly lemony cedrat. Blech! Also, WTF? But I persisted, sharing all of the above with the sales associate as I spritzed some on my wrist, then waving my arm around for emphasis.
As we chatted, something marvellous happened; one of those rare moments as a perfumista/fragrance bro/insane collector. As soon as that first massive waft of citrus passed the scent transformed into... a parfum concentration of classic Eau Sauvage, i.e. nothing like the 2012 edition but very much like the original and, unlike the 2012, precisely what it says on the bottle. In some respects, more like the original Eau Sauvage than the current anaemic reformulation.
This with two important differences. First, Francois Demachy has dialled down the petitgrain of the original, so much so it manages to feel like a parfum concentration of the original without merely being a parfum concentration of the original (for this, see Eau Sauvage Extreme, essential to my collection but essentially unwearable, at least on my skin).
Which brings me to the second difference and this... this is where the magic happens. Several minutes in - I will pay more attention to precisely how many minutes on a second wearing - there is another shift. First, the blast of bergamot and cedrat, then the parfum concentration Eau Sauvage, and then, once again myrrh, myrrh, myrrh!
Somehow Demachy has created something respectful not only of Eau Sauvage but also respectful of the first pass at Eau Sauvage Parfum. It was immediately obvious I was wearing something new, something much more wearable, but it took away nothing of the essential beauty of the 2012 formulation. If you don't have both editions handy, the best comparison I can make is between Guerlain's 2003 Habit Rouge EDP and the current Habit Rouge EDT. The EDP is a rich - dare I say, thicc? - oriental next to the dandy-ish, lighter (arguably deceptively so) EDT.
Here, Habit Rouge EDP stands for the 2012 Eau Sauvage Parfum while the 2017 is the less luxe but much more wearable Habit Rouge EDT. And here, just like the deceptively lighter EDT, this lighter edition of Eau Sauvage Parfum has LIFT. It was a bit of a risk wearing it after it's initial effect on paper so I was cautious with the atomizer. It might have been 'half a spray' (so to speak) but it is projecting like a beast and it.. is... gorgeous.
I say "is" because it is three hour's gone and the same modest spritz to the wrist has me sitting in a comfy cloud of myrrh, fit as a gift for the King of Kings. I have been saving a second spray - did I mention it was full-bottle worthy? - so as to write all of this as a true first impression.
Dior: I hereby forgive you for Sauvage. You are redeemed and I was wrong to doubt.
11th August, 2017
This is blended fantastically well and has wonderful performance..each stage evolves slowly over the course of the day ..the overall feel of this fragrance is like others have said, no nonsense straight to the point. It doesn't care who likes it and who doesn't but you will smell it. Very masculine scent with bergamot used in the opening and myrrh and vetiver used in the mid notes, in the final stages which remain potent I can detect an orange peel and slight vanilla that I also detect in dior homme parfum, very faint tho and signature demachy. Price point represents an absolute bargain for the quality and performance.
27th February, 2017 (last edited: 28th June, 2017)
This stuff is great! I never bothered to try the EDT because I assumed it was an old man scent judging by the packaging. I can certainly say that I'm glad I picked up a sample at Sephora. This smells a lot like Guerlain's Vetiver mixed with a little bit of Habit Rouge. The vetiver note is a dirty, earthy, rooty one and the citrus is somewhat faint, but pleasant. There is definitely a medium strength powder note in here, which isn't my favorite, but not a dealbreaker.

TLDR
Mix Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge together and you'll know what Dior Eau Sauvage smells like.
22nd December, 2016
Smooth, satisfying rework of the EdT. Eau Sauvage has a classic nature that isn't loud nor cloying. It shimmers between the bergamot-myrrh-vetiver notes like a dignified dance between partners. It has a powdery quality that is spicy and staid at the same time. A go to scent for me.
08th December, 2016
Stardate: 20160908

A nice citrusy powder. I don't get much vetiver. I do get some vanilla.
I think this is a decent fragrance and maybe more wearable these days than EdT as it lacks that funkiness.
08th September, 2016
This is a shaky thumbs up. I honestly don't care for the opening of MYRRH, MYRRH, citrus and MYRRH but as it drys I would say it is very pleasant. Nice mix of the myrrh and vetiver at the end. Winter only scent for me. Enjoy.
13th July, 2016
A more robust, spicier version of the original, Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum is typical of the "Parfum" flanker that is a greater concentration of the original. Unfortunately, the Parfum loses the freshness of the original but gains a strength that renders it more apt for wearing in cold weather. Perhaps the Parfum and the original EDT can be worn in cooler and warmer months, respectively.

As far as how it differs from the original scent-wise, in addition to being a little thicker and spicier, there's also a vague sort of anise-like sweetness that is a bit of turn off to my nose.

An interesting enhancement but nothing revolutionary, the Parfum should work wonders for fans of the original that were pining for a heavier performer, but it falls short of inspiring me. I'll adhere to the original, questionable performance and all.

7 out of 10
24th May, 2016
Beauty in simplicity.
I actually got the base and middle notes reversed, the myrrh stayed with me for a long time.

I love it, and unlike the classic older brother, NOT a summer scent.
24th February, 2016
A myrrh BOMB...and its my signature fragrance. The heaviness...the pure chic-ness...and the hyper-masulinity of its nature, is all in your face and unapoligetic. There is nothing about it, I do not like.
31st January, 2016
Tried at 2012 relaese from a tester bottle. It firsts disappoints as it is not an adequate ES flanker. I found it too sweet with a Vanilla overkill.
In 2014 tried again, the Vanilla had been toned down.My approach the second time my minds perspective had changed to accept.
Now find the Myrrh, Vetiver and Vanilla in
better balance. A joy to wear and quite distinctive.
29th December, 2015 (last edited: 09th January, 2017)

Accidentally bought this meaning to get classic Eau Sauvage, but clicked the wrong button. Tried it anyway, at height of summer. Big mistake. Huge. That first impression was that it was smothering and opaque, too strong, too sweet.

Tried it again now that the weather's cold, and love it. Will be wearing it a lot this winter. I'm no expert, but see this as a stripped-down classic chypre, with the progression of bitter herbal/citrus, sweet resinous, deep earthiness.

In the heat this is a getitoffgetitoffgetitoff crawl-out-of-my-skin scrubber, but in winter, an entirely different beast.

01st August, 2015
Eau Savage Parfum is a marvel because it is simple, yet complex. I don't know if those are all the notes listed above, but if they are, then Francois Demachy has magic up his sleeve.

Very masculine and self-assured. Like a man who is successful, but doesn't boast about it. It's probably what the soap smells like in the wash-rooms of a Fortune 500 company.

That citrus bergamot in the top is enough draw you into the rich, deep aromas lurking underneath, the herbals and spices and the aromatic woodiness. It's quite gourmand as it dries down, even though the bergamot remains in the mix.

There are people who clearly think this is not a patch on the 1966 classic, but it shouldn't have to be a competition; when you have two good things there is room for both, it's a great scent.
20th June, 2015
Salutation.

It is always nice to have an DIOR name in your collection.A perpetual classic. ESP is one of those perfume that never goes out of style.All gentleman should try and use this EDP because ESP is in the true sense of the word a gentleman's perfume. Classy,Chic, Elegant,Vibrant,Sophisticated,Amazing, Mesterpiece and Gentlemanlike.

Great opening and great ending this is a superb trait between more DIOR fragrances just like this one.At the beginning It smells predominate of the Citrus notes.myrrh in the middle and vetiver in the base notes making you feel like caught in an exotic grove where all sorts of fragrant herbs grow.
Excellent aroma that can be used during the day as well as at night.The dry down is fantastic indeed.

ESP is a very earthy and sensuous fragrance.this one is not for the average fragrance guy who wears popular fragrances.It is a more developed taste.In my opinion It's has a very subtle smell and masculine in nature.very french in style.suitable for business meetings and anywhere you want to assert yourself.A wonderful signature fragrance for a rich tycoon and one of my 5 favorites at the moment. Thank you CD!

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?10 hours on my skin.

22nd April, 2015
Actually there is eau savage hidden in this. Whoever has a familiarity with the latter's accord can't miss it. In fact this is a rich citrus with an underlying myrrh that is somehow sweet and balsamic. I notice jasmine in this composition also. The vetiver is present mostly in the dry down and leaves the final trail. Very long lasting and with power silage.
20th February, 2015
I got this in today and after spending some hours with it I'm loving it. I can see why it's considered a fall/winter cold weather fragrance as it could be suffocating in the heat.

The bergamot and myrrh opening is creamy and enticing, like an earl grey tea with a splash of heavy cream, it evokes a well dressed, serious guy and I'll probably find the occasion to wear this a few times per year. As it dries down, the vetiver makes an appearance. As it's subtle smokiness combines with the myrrh, it brings a 'smokey incense-y' vibe to it that's very masculine and comforting (being a recovering Catholic). The bergamot sticks around throughout and the combination really does equal more than the sum of its parts. I imagine a man in an overcoat, drinking a cup of earl grey in a park adjacent to a cathedral on an overcast sunday morning after mass has ended, wafts of fugitive incense billowing their way through the park.

10 month's later...

I just LOVE THIS JUICE! ..and it's amazing to me what this trio of notes combine to create in this fragrance.

The tone of ESP is overcast. That's what I get. It's a month of overcast sundays in a bottle. Yet it's not a clinical depression. It's a divine melancholia that possesses you for a time. It's a romanticized sadness, reflective and thoughtful. The kind of emotion which deepens us as people and increases our capacity for compassion and kindness. It's almost funereal and as much as I love this stuff, I think (if applied tastefully) its would be suitable for this purpose.

Notes I get besides the vetiver, myrrh and bergamot composition:

marshmellow
root beer (especially root beer float)
birch beer
incense
creamsicle
18th February, 2015 (last edited: 17th December, 2015)
Simple notes, great scent! Sweet and light citrus with a mild vetiver. The myrrh is a perfect note to add in this gem. I will be purchasing a bottle of this before the warmer weather gets here. 8/10
12th December, 2014
I'm not into incense but this one is good. It's Eau Savage smoothness keeping the incense from being too much. It lasts longer than the regular Eau Sauvage. If you like incense it's a no-brainer.
08th December, 2014
Another marvelous fragrance from Dior.
I think it's important to keep in mind that is not an 'intense' version of the traditional Eau Sauvage. This one is pretty much different and, imo, the main difference here is the masterfully simplicity of combining three wonderful masculine notes (bergamot, myrrh and vetiver). The result: a balsamic, exotic, sweet-citrusy masterpiece and, in my opinion, the reason of the success of this release.

More oriental and a little bit darker than its Extreme predecesor, with a wonderful myrrh note, very well combined in the whole of the composition, surrounded by a zesty citrus top and an earthy vetiver base. It lasts 6-10 hrs on skin, with a noticeable presence in the first 2 hrs, a versatile and compelling creation. My personal rank 9/10.
06th November, 2014
Wow! What a great fragrance...

Eau Sauvage Parfum is a deliciously smooth accord of sweet myrrh and citric bergamot that is at once fresh, airy, creamy, soapy, and powdery. It's all of these adjectives, yet never too much of any one. Within the myrrh and bergamot there's a hint of vanilla, a cream soda-like aroma that emanates from the heart. It's grounded in vetiver, which gives it a solid base, but the vetiver is carefully restrained, a middle-of-the-road earthy wood that is neither too dark and dirty or too grassy and bright. It compliments the myrrh and allows it to shine as the star of the show. The myrrh is beyond reproach.

Stylistically, I'm too comfortable smelling this to consider it a formal fragrance, and at the same time it's so nice, I don't want to label it "casual" either. You could easily dress it up in a suit and tie, but I'd be hesitant to dress it down beyond a sweater and a good pair of jeans. Age wise, I imagine it will work best on a mature 25 and up, but don't let that limit you--it's just a reference. Projection is excellent and longevity is very good. Be careful not to go too heavy on the trigger.

Once again Dior has created something that's unique, a little unusual, and smells fantastic. The bottle looks great as well.
11th October, 2014
Very, very good stuff here. I cannot believe so few notes can create a fragrance that is so complex! It has a fresh citrus opening that does smell like an amped-up Eau Sauvage. That may actually be my favorite part of the fragrance, but the dry down is as good as advertised: sweet, spicy myrrh with a proper, sharp vetiver. It smells fantastic from start to finish. Go easy on the sprays (ONE - maybe two if it is cooler out), and it is perfectly suitable for office wear. It really shines at nighttime and when it is cooler out. I own or have owned many of the well-recognized "compliment magnet" fragrances - YSL L'Homme, La Nuit de L'Homme, Bleu de Chanel, etc. People compliment me more on this fragrance than anything else. Maybe it just suits me, or maybe it is just that damn good.

This stuff lasts longer than anything I have ever tried - spray it on at 7am, and it is still going strong at 11pm. The potency of this fragrance is to be respected, both from an appreciative point of view and a cautionary one. When I first got it, which was in July, I wore two sprays to work in the morning and had no problems - loads of compliments, and smelled great all day. I was going out to dinner with friends afterwards around 7pm, and stopped at home to "refresh" myself with a spray of this awesome new fragrance I had purchased, and put on two sprays. BIG MISTAKE. The entire drive over to the restaurant (~30 minutes) my eyes were stinging, like I had sprayed it directly on my face rather than on the sides of my neck. I don't know if I was choking out everyone around me at dinner (maybe my friends were just polite), but I was definitely choking myself out for a good couple of hours.

This stuff reminds me of an intoxicant - use it responsibly and you will have a great time. Overindulge, and you will pay for it.
04th October, 2014
I have read that people think this is a pure perfume or an extrait... Well, to me it's simple EDP concentration.

It has very little in common with original Eau Sauvage EDT and absolutely nothing in common with Eau Sauvage Extreme (the new one, Intense. It sounds terrible, lol).

The opening is a wonderful burst of citruses. They're very juicy. It lasts about 5 minutes or so and morphs into an oriental bomb made of myrrh, vanilla and maybe some other oriental spices. I agree that the myrrh is an absolute star here. This fragrance is very smoky. Later on it gets more and more balmier with appearance of vetiver. Fragrance from now on smells like myrrh on the woody base.

Logevity is around 15 hours, sillage is great. It was my blind buy and I can tell you - one of my best blind buys ever.
29th September, 2014
A dominating Myrrh fragrance from the start to the middle , very power full and some how different from the available lot...I really like the the opening but I love the dry down which very very musky and smoky to me....stunning fragrance with very good silage and longevity. Thumz up.
20th May, 2014
Wow Myrrh, who would have known. This is my first myrrh based cologne, and I love it. The myrrh combines with the vetiver giving it a very sophisticated aura. I believe it could be for evening wear. Only a few sprays though it can be a bit strong.
24th April, 2014
I've decided to write a review about this one later but I couldn't resist anymore!
This is one of the best releases in designer fragrances in years.
A masterpiece that the words are not enough to describe this beauty.
There are only three notes in this fragrance and I'm going to throw vanilla in it too which makes it four and all these four notes have stunning quality and masterfully blended together.
The opening is a great combination of all four notes but bergamot is prominent in the opening.
It's tart, fresh and bitter citrusy, but oily, resinous and dirty because of myrrh and also a little smoky and rooty because of vetiver.
There is a little sweet vanilla here too to wrap it up and give the scent more depth.
In the mid the citrusy bergamot note settles down and I can smell more myrrh and vetiver.
It's smoky, dirty, earthy and dark but a little fresh, sweet and sexy at the same time.
The vanilla note here smell like vanilla ice cream and give the scent a very sensual aroma.
The base is very close to the mid as far as the smell but it's a little more vanilla ice cream like sweet and a little less smoky.
Projection is awesome and longevity can easily pass 12 hours.
Some people say that this fragrance smell very mature and kind of dated but I don't agree with them at all.
This is not a casual fragrance for teenagers indeed, but if someone around 25 and up wants to smell like a real gentleman this is one of the best.
06th March, 2014
Given its ingredients – bergamot, myrrh, vetiver; and given the “Eau Sauvage” name, it would be almost impossible for me not to love this one. I totally enjoy bergamot… I’m addicted to the myrrh scents I own. As for the vetiver, I own about twelve bottles of fragrances with “vetiver or vetyver” in the name.

Even though I long ago promised myself to never again buy blind, when it came to Eau Sauvage Parfum, I didn’t think twice when I saw the limited list of levels: bergamot, myrrh, vetiver. I blind ordered a 1.7 bottle, wore it once and immediately ordered a 3.4 bottle for backup. It’s by far the best blind buy I’ve made, and not only that, Christian Dior’s Eau Sauvage Parfum has reawakened my interest in pursuing current offerings from the top designers. I love this one.
31st January, 2014
Definitely a gentlemen's fragrance......this is gorgeousness (a word?) in a bottle. This does last all day at least 8 hours. I have not smelled the vintage creation, however, if it smells like this I simply bypassed a true gem!!!
22nd January, 2014
Epitomy of understated elegance.

Elegant, nonchalant, class. Nothing more.

11th September, 2013