Reviews of Airborne by Comme des Garçons

Catching opening for me: something I haven’t smelled before – must be the lentiscus. I must say, I hope to smell it again because to my nose the unfamiliar note is exotic and… well it’s like some kind of Oz-ian or Neverland-ish odor that exists with equal parts of “natural” and “make-believe.” It’s a bit green, a bit raspy-aromatic, a little bit wood, a tiny bit incense, with an aura of, say …CK Eternity or something like that. There are somewhat strong elements of conifer (juniper, cedar) and citrus (neroli, bergamot, lemon) in the opening which wane as the fragrance moves on, but the proportions of lentiscus, citrus, conifer, incense, and synthetic remain constant through the heart level, making the top levels of the scent linear: …in this case, linearity is a good thing and I only wish it remained past the heart level.

There’s a great hour and a half of bliss with Airborne, but it does wimp out in the drydown. The dry down is an almost-skin-scent that has picked up some sweetness somewhere (musk?) and is not related as I can see, to the opening and heart. It’s always disappointing when a fragrance like this begins… spectacularly in my opinion… and then fails to carry the passion through the drydown. Well, dry downs are seldom spectacular, but they should be, at least, a logical or emotional extension of what went before. Here the dry down is too much of a weak afterthought.

Airborne is, in concept and design, similar to Serpentine and Artek Standard to name only two offerings from CDG. I love and own both and I would purchase Airborne if it had held on to more of its originality and drama longer rather than losing its momentum.
17th February, 2016
Airborne opens with a bitter, crunchy, herbal green accord surrounded by spices and lifted by crisp, zesty lime/citrus notes, slightly creamy on the base (sandalwood?) and overall showing the usual “synthetic” clean look of most of recent CdG’s. The juniper is quite loud and sharp initially, and so is the lentiscus note, which I must say it’s much compelling and realistic: it smells indeed of those Mediterranean bushes on the sea, with their aromatic, dry, somehow shady somehow fruity aroma. Once the head notes vanish the lentiscus note emerges even clearly, and still much realistic. Lentiscus is one the few materials I can say I know fairly well, because my family comes from the coast of West Sardinia on the Tyrrenian Sea, and we’re full of lentiscus there. And sniffing Airborne really feels like breathing that air – and it’s curious how it manages to smell clean, thin, sharp and “synthetically contemporary” as per CdG’s style signature, yet effortlessly natural, vibrant and realistic, with also a veil of melancholic “grayness”, arid and austere. The drydown is a bit disappointing though, as this “realistic” feel soon vanishes and a dry, synthetic woody note remains – quite sour and rubbery, frankly boring after a while. Nonetheless, a good scent!

16th December, 2014
I'm not much of a note discoverer, smelling top, middle and basenotes. But I do know when I have smelled a scent before. This opens close to CDG Monocle Scent 2: Laurel and dries down to something that is really close if not completely similar to Kenzo Air. For me, not worth the price tag.
01st April, 2013

Oh, how I love mastic (Lentiscus) as a note!
This scent starts with lovely lemon and citrus notes. Very quickly, I get the mastic: dry, grassy-green, resinous. This blends well with bright juniper (aromatic and woody), and further excellent dry incense and wood notes. The scent is dry and translucent.
It is not as weighty and dense as the other mastic-prominent scent (Sisley's Eau D'Ikar). The mastic here is not as prominent, and it is blended into the over mix in a subtle manner.
The scent is light, subtle, and wears very well through the day.
01st May, 2012