Reviews of Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

The top notes lack the peachy pineapple character of the original, but otherwise is quite similar compared to the original. The green-floral middle notes appear to be blended better and a are a tad less generic, but the base is as unexciting as the original version. Adequate silage and projection on my skin, and a somewhat better longevity of about five hours. In the end I prefer this flanker to the original.

07 March, 2014

michailG's avatar
    michailG

I never really liked Aqua di Gió. For me it was too sharp and manly in a generic kind of way. Slumping Essenza and EdP on a heavier bottle was a very good marketing gimmick but that says nothing about the quality of the juice really. So Essenza is similar to the original, to me it’s still too sharp and commonplace manly. On my skin it mellows down after 10 minutes but the accord is thoroughly unpleasant. The dry down which is evident after 30-40 minutes of application is sweeter, softer and rounder, in a way more pleasant than the opening. I don’t know what exactly in Essenza I react badly to. All I know is that this is one of the few perfumes that I needed to wash off. And of course being an EdP this means that it doesn’t wash off that easily. Essenza is the kind of perfume that makes me more aware of the difference between designer and niche perfumes. It has above average silage and longevity and if you are fun of Aqua you will appreciate Essenza. But for me it is thumps down.

08 February, 2014

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Natural, a step up, but still......

While some people may want to "hate" on this fragrance, as some posters suggest (I frankly hate the expression " to hate on"!), just because it is the flanker of such a popular fragrance, I really wanted to love this. I have been wanting something that is aquatic with some "umph"- an aquatic with some additional intensity. That said, I just don't love this. It is a nice fragrance, but just leave me a bit cold. It is natural smelling, and the longevity is solid, but I just don't find myself wanting to enjoy the fragrance on my own skin. That for me, is the bottom line.

05 October, 2013

the reaper's avatar
    the reaper
    Venezuela Venezuela

Superb

This got me by surprise. My wife bought a bottle of this in Aruba for me and when I saw it I was disapointed but when I wore it, man, it smelled just wonderful. To me this is the real thing as far as ACQUAS is concerned. It has a soft menthol touch like Issey Miyake Bleue but it is softer and calming. I can't stop smelling it. Smells superb. Last the whole day. Projects balancely. Love it.

02 October, 2013 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2014)

Redneck Perfumisto's avatar
    Redneck Perfumisto

The EDT's Popularity Explained in EDP Language

I was struck by this the very first time is sniffed it in Macy's. [B][I]Essenza[/I][/B] is fully worthy of being the EDP of the incredibly popular [B][I]Acqua di Giò[/I][/B] EDT. A fail here would have been hard to live down. Instead, I think this was a huge success. I have not been so taken by an "aquatic-style" fragrance in ages - probably five years.

[B][I]AdG[/I][/B] EDT always had a certain beautiful complexity in the background - I likened it to rocks under a cool, clear mountain stream. It wasn't in focus, but it added beauty. Touches of green, pine, smoke and mineral.

Now - imagine that beauty turned into the front, core, and center of an EDP fragrance, with an aquatic background behind it. THAT is [B][I]Essenza[/I][/B]. It takes every subtle beauty of [B][I]AdG[/I][/B] EDT and raises it to a main accord.

The fragrance is versatile, and easily worn year-round. I expect many Christmas sales, even in cold climates. It is compelling - I wore it in a sidewalk café in Spain - not too strongly, either - and several women were looking around to see where it was coming from. It is gorgeous stuff. My wife loves it, too.

I suppose that one day, like [B][I]AdG[/I][/B] EDT, it will be ubiquitous. So buy [B][I]Essenza[/I][/B] now, and get the compliments in while nobody knows what it is.

Pros: Beautiful, complex, lasting, balanced, comforting
    Cons: Will probably become commonplace someday"

28 August, 2013

wormstir's avatar
    wormstir

Better than the original

Considering just how much love there is for the original Acqua di Gio, the fact that this essenza version has genuinely improved on the original means it should be very popular - but so far it seems to have remained fairly under the radar.

The essenza takes the original ADG and rounds off the screechy citrus, making it sweeter and deeper, and they've also improved the longevity. This sweet soft lemon and spicy woods also brings ADGE really close to the smell of Bleu de Chanel, which for most won't be a bad thing considering how popular Bleu is too.

This fragrance is very pleasant, has good longevity for a citrus scent, is very versatile and very popular with ladies. I much prefer it to the original.

Pros: smoother, sexier, longer lasting...
    Cons: not a big change in direction from the original scent"

12 August, 2013

tdwctdwc's avatar
    tdwctdwc

Fresh water in a bottle

The calone molecule truly does wonders to this fragrance. It smells like fresh water, not salted sea water, but pure cold fresh water. Add to that some woods, jasmine and a generous splash of Bergamot and you get yourself one of most beautiful "aquatics" on the market. Much much better than the original.
    This one shines best in humid hot weather, that's when the flowers and "water" molecule come out to the front !
    Longevity is excellent. Sillage is not in your face as it's the case in most eau de parfum.
    Fresh water in a bottle!

04 August, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar
    mlsweeney

Solid aquatic that trumps the original

This is a must-have if you are a big aquatic fan. I generally don't care for very many summer fragrances so this definitely keeps me going through this season.

Personally, I think it is much better than the original. I wasn't able to smell the vintage version of the original but I heard it is similar to this. Its longevity and projection are outstanding even during a heat wave. I also think the sprayer on it is fantastic compared to most sprayers. It gives a nice even spray that really covers the points on your skin you want to emphasize.

The bad news is it won't be found on the grey market. You'll basically have to buy it at a retailer for their retail price. The price is pretty ridiculous for a designer fragrance (niche range). A 2.5 oz will run you over $100 easily. Another bad part about this fragrance is it was more similar to the original than I anticipated. I sprayed both on a piece of paper to compare and they were totally different so I basically bought the bottle without trying it. My first wearing showed more similarities to the original than I had hoped for but the good news is it took the great parts of the original and took out the bad.

Overall a great scent and I do not regret my purchase.

9.5/10

Pros: 1. Better than the original with the same backbone 2. Longevity and projection are outstanding 3. Sprayer is fantastic
    Cons: 1. Won't be found on the grey market 2. Might be too similar to the original from a casual sniffer 3. Very pricey for the amount received"

19 July, 2013

Oldspice's avatar
    Oldspice

Acqua Di Gio Essenza

Going on and for the first couple hours this does in fact smell quite a bit like RL Polo Blue but I would not call them identical. The longer I wear this the more it starts to smell more like the original ADG only smoother and with a more woody base. It's listed as an EDP though if it's stronger or longer lasting than the original it's not by much.

It's not bad but nothing unique here. I don't think it's worth the pricetag ($108 for 2.5 oz), I would go with the original if I had to get one or the other.

03 July, 2013

nyguy's avatar
    nyguy

Perfected!

I dislike the original AdG, always have because of the bitterness and strange orange synthetic note. The Essenza after one wear won me over, smooth opening, soft woodiness once it settles down. Longevity is decent, projection is AMAZING. Bought myself the biggest bottle available on eBay for around $100, so much cheaper than the retail price for $180. If you like the original then you should most likely love this scent!

Pros: Smooth scent
    Cons:

19 June, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar
    comfortablynumbbg
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

Smells nice, reminiscent of the regular Acqua di Gio. This has better longevity (but that doesn't say much). It's also a bit more mature smelling.

12 May, 2013

Russlan's avatar
    Russlan

Acqua Di Gio Essenza and Ralph Layren Polo Blue are as identical, as two cans of Coca-Cola. Just like that. So make your own conlclusions.

12 May, 2013

MCTAKE5's avatar
    MCTAKE5

This is one of the best colognes I’ve ever owned. The fragrance is outstanding, great longevity, and projection. Not as sharp as ADG original, which is nice, but a bit better in longevity / projection and dry-down. I’ll be wearing this one all spring and summer long!

07 April, 2013

lisalucille's avatar
    lisalucille

I am a Tom Ford fan, and find it difficult to adjust to new scents on my husband. When he wears something else, I often end up with a headache or nauseated by the end of a day spent entirely near him.

This Acqua di Gio is remarkable smooth. Potent, but not overpowering with an "eternal" staying power.. it just doesn't quit!

Upon initial application, I was immediately drawn to the citrus and bergamot blend - interesting. It seemed to settle in, intensely, to my husband's being - and by the night' end, I couldn't help but want to nuzzle into where-ever this scent was sprayed. I'm not usually a patchouli fan, but I sensed it here, not the usual pungent patchouli but much more sable and modern mixed with the musky/woodsy aromas.

Definitely a thumbs up.

11th March, 2013

dagawami's avatar
    dagawami

I have never tried AdG (gasp!) so I can't compare this to the original. However, I really like this! It smells like a salty ocean, with some spice and woods thrown into the mix. Most fragrances give you a headache if you spray too much or smell it up close too often, but so far I have not gotten tired of smelling AdGE.

Longevity on this one is good though projection is so-so.

10th December, 2012

Bytebuster's avatar
    Bytebuster
    Turkey Turkey

I first noticed this on my fragrance freak friend and I thought that he was wearing a new intenser version of Ralph Lauren Polo Blue, but he told me that I was the new version of Acqua Di Gio. He told me that he bought it because it smelled like Ralph Lauren Polo Blue and we both thing that this is much finer version of it. Polo Blue is much light/aquatic, but Essenza is a bit spicy and long lasting than Polo Blue. I was fond of Polo Blue, but I always thought that it could be a bit long lasting, actually not long lasting, Polo Blue was long lasting too, but it was a bit weak, could be just a few degrees intenser. You would understand what I mean if you compare eau de sauvage normal and extreme or EDP of it. That is what I feel when I compare RL Polo blue and ADG Essenza. I guess this makes it a bit spicier. I guess I'll be given one as a present with Christmas.

30th November, 2012

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Unlike the original AdG, this one is thick, dense, not actually fresh and the story it tells is much more meaningful to me than the story that the original tells. Acqua di Gio Essenza is a story of a complete, mature guy whilst the original is just some "cute guy" seen on the street by girls. Original is fresh and airy, widely accepted and overworn. This will not be the case with AdGE and I'm also quite sure that, despite the fact that is much better and more refined, it'll not be overhyped and maybe, just maybe, it might get discontinued and forgotten, which is a shame. I'd compare the case of Dior Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit Absolute and JPG Le Male and Le Male Terrible. Now, Fahrenheit Absolute is not better than Fahrenheit, it's just different and tells a story of its own and a good story. Despite the fact Fahrenheit Absolute was not as much accepted or reviewed as much, same goes for JPG LMT, despite its good qualities and depth and that's what I'm expecting to happen to AdGE.

21st November, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Masculine and confident this one is an improvement of the original and a good alternative for the lovers of the genre. Not just an aquatic but a more somber woodsy-ambery masculine so cedary and dusty-spicy in the dry down. As well as already written Essencia is obviously similar to the original but more woodsy, bodied and spicy. The beginning is lemony, herbal (i detect the basil) and influenced by ozone-marine soapy-salty elements with floral patterns rising up. A somber jasmine starts projecting its floral feel in the air before the disclosing process of a restrained masculine woody and ambery (ambergris) dry down. Common but well appointed. The dry down reminds me a bit Gucci by Gucci Sport. Discreet and modern.

14 September, 2012

Virtue&Sin's avatar
    Virtue&Sin
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Strong, confident, masculine. Not a fresh perfume at all!
    As said already, is quite spicy, yet I'll say harsh and deep at the same time (citrus and cedar play with the background of vetiver and patchouli; seems to have some resins to my nose). Long lasting, excelent projection, not for shy people, even if not entirely original, but to be noticed.

02 September, 2012

eaudemale's avatar
    eaudemale
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

I ended up buying a 180ml bottle go figure out why. The most prominent notes are the citric ones during the opening and then basil and jasmine, like lots of basil, why do my old memories of this fragrance were something melony? After a few hours I can sniff the cedar, the rest are complimentary notes for me. The sillage is not great for a eau de parfum, but with a 180ml bottle, I don't expect to get anything better up till I get to the half of it at least.

26 August, 2012

figgis's avatar
    figgis

Just tried this today.. At first I found it too sweet and smelt like badedas bubble bath.. An hour on its calmed down and now getting the spicy notes coming through. Much stronger than the original and will be adding to my collection. As Nigel Tufnel would say.. This one goes up to 11.

Still very prominent on my skin after 5 hours

15 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2012)

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

fresh but really intense and charming:
    Godd for work, leisure and all!

03 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

bondfrenchbond's avatar
    bondfrenchbond

Unlike the 1996 version of Acqua Di Gio this new Essenza update replaces much of it's brothers cool fresh notes with a medium-light spicy twist. This stuff turns up the volume! The Essenza update smells like Acqua Di Gios older more sophisticated brother with a self-confidence to boot. In general this increases the overall intensity and smells more aggressive. If you felt the original was on the weak side of the spectrum be pleased with this update. An hour after spraying, the spicy tones start to mellow slightly allowing the cool fresh scent to carry through. As someone who feels like the 1996 version was getting bit old and boring, I am very pleased with this update!

01st June, 2012