Reviews of Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis

Find out more about Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Phippsy's avatar

This is powerful and challenging. I am drawn to it, I like the dry down yet my wife finds it repulsive. Her dislike has limited the times I wear it.
    I sometimes try to sneak it past her, not easy because it is so distinctive. She asks "are you wearing Calligraphy?", I reply "You noticed, what do you think of it today?" she says "it still stinks." (she doesn't mean in a nice way)
    It is strong, distinctive and it clearly divides opinions in my household.
    She likes Tom Ford's Cafe Rose and Oud Wood, but not Calligraphy.
    To me it is rose coupled with oud, but perhaps because of the formula's strength this could seem violent and harsh when initially applied. As time moves on it sort of calms down, it provides wafts of rose with a deep underpinning.
    It's nice and I still like it, but not because of any particular subtlety. Part of me expects Mrs Phippsy to turn around one day and say "you really do smell nice today! Which one is it?".
    If that day comes I might lie and tell her it's a tester By Kilian so she can confirm her appreciation without admitting a change of heart.
    Thumbs up from me, thumbs down by her : - it has to be neutral......for now.

15 February, 2013

Oscroft's avatar

There are lot of rose/oud fragrances around these days, so there's nothing original here. But I really like it - I sampled it in Doha airport, and just bought a bottle in the UK.

But what puzzles me is its market. Apparently it's targeted at the Middle Eastern market (and it's not widely sold the UK), but I don't see this toned-down oud satisfying such customers, who I would expect to be more interested in full-on oud notes.

To me it comes over as a rose/oud blend that's been tailored for Western noses - that suits me fine, but it means I don't get what they're trying to do with it. Still, as long as I like it...

14 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 22 March, 2013)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Perfume Calligraphy is an abstract expressionist tableau of crisply drawn scent lines made of lemon, cardamom, saffron/ rose and oud woods with a sweet oriental perfume base. A calligraphy of perfume - good name! This is a provocative and mysterious fragrance that is very appropriate for man or woman. It wears like a scarf woven of swirling paisley and smoke ribbons colored with lemon, roses, saffron, oud and amber musk. The lemon and myrrh are a contrast with the saffron and roses. The rose lightly introduces the oud which spreads out through a warm amber slightly animalic base. Perfume Calligraphy is a fragrance that seems to swirl around as if it were ephemeral smoke. The fragrance notes are lightly applied keeping it away from the big bold oud pathway taken by so many. This fragrance travels a more delicate road through a 1001 Nights Tale of mystery, romance and intrigue. Perhaps the only negative about the fragrance is it is very light in intensity, and after the first hour Perfume Calligraphy calms to a gentle presence that hangs around for 4 hours or so, before becoming a very quiet skin scent presence.

08 November, 2012