Positive Reviews of Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis

Find out more about Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

tempest moon's avatar

This is a fragrance which tries to display the oud note in a subtler kind of way more akin to western perfumery. The oud note is subdued and is underlying at the base. The saffron and other spices combined make this fragrance very pleasant and I really can't see how this would offend anyone. It's well blended in my opinion. Probably good for people who do not like their oud very strong or medicinal. Very good effort.

Edit: I've since discovered that it's the other way round. This is a Western-made perfume designed to appeal towards a Middle Eastern market! I would say that it that purpose it somewhat succeeds. But the problem is most Middle Easterners will prefer a stronger, more authentic Oud note, whilst most Westerners will find this a little strong for their tastes. It's almost like it "halfway" succeeds at both. But I like it! I think its good either way.

23rd October, 2014

Oscroft's avatar

There are lot of rose/oud fragrances around these days, so there's nothing original here. But I really like it - I sampled it in Doha airport, and just bought a bottle in the UK.

But what puzzles me is its market. Apparently it's targeted at the Middle Eastern market (and it's not widely sold the UK), but I don't see this toned-down oud satisfying such customers, who I would expect to be more interested in full-on oud notes.

To me it comes over as a rose/oud blend that's been tailored for Western noses - that suits me fine, but it means I don't get what they're trying to do with it. Still, as long as I like it...

14th February, 2013 (Last Edited: 22nd March, 2013)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Perfume Calligraphy is an abstract expressionist tableau of crisply drawn scent lines made of lemon, cardamom, saffron/ rose and oud woods with a sweet oriental perfume base. A calligraphy of perfume - good name! This is a provocative and mysterious fragrance that is very appropriate for man or woman. It wears like a scarf woven of swirling paisley and smoke ribbons colored with lemon, roses, saffron, oud and amber musk. The lemon and myrrh are a contrast with the saffron and roses. The rose lightly introduces the oud which spreads out through a warm amber slightly animalic base. Perfume Calligraphy is a fragrance that seems to swirl around as if it were ephemeral smoke. The fragrance notes are lightly applied keeping it away from the big bold oud pathway taken by so many. This fragrance travels a more delicate road through a 1001 Nights Tale of mystery, romance and intrigue. Perhaps the only negative about the fragrance is it is very light in intensity, and after the first hour Perfume Calligraphy calms to a gentle presence that hangs around for 4 hours or so, before becoming a very quiet skin scent presence.

08th November, 2012