Neutral Reviews of Florabotanica by Balenciaga

Find out more about Florabotanica by Balenciaga in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Cricketkitty's avatar

Could not wait to try this as I had already read about it and loved the packaging. What I got was a very dry and powdery rose. The fragrance is very linear, with the only variation being a very slight minty freshness in the beginning, but that left with evaporation. This is a very tenacious fragrance, one little squirt left a comet trail behind me for a long time, and when I woke up the next morning (after a shower the night before) I could still smell it clinging to my wrist. Something about it reminds me of very well dressed ladies in the 1960s-1970s. I heard it has a note of cannibis in it, I guess that is what is reminding me of that era.

09 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 19 March, 2013)

SusyQ's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I had high hopes for this one - the bottle is gorgeous and the notes made me think this couldn't be anything but a winner. But it's not. I forgot that this - after all - is a fragrance aimed towards a young audience, an audience normally buying fruity-florals; sometimes with no other criterion than a cute bottle embracing the liquid (think Marc Jacob's "Dot").

Balenciaga has twigged the nice-bottle-concept, and they also realized that the young fruity-floral-audience (usually) doesn't want too much of a challenge when they buy a perfume. The brave move Balenciaga has made here is the fact that this isn't sweet, or peachy, or powdery, or candied - there is actually nothing in here reminding me of the huge range of "pink" fragrances dominating the market. Instead this is a green rose, with a soapy but not out-of-the-shower-clean character. The mint never turns cold in the typical minty way, instead it soothes the composition and softens the edges. It doesn't have a great sillage but sticks around for a good 6-8 hours on me.

I find it nice for what it is, but I also find it boring.

After all I'm quite thankful and have great respect for what Balenciaga is doing here: Florabotanica might introduce a new trend different from the now dominating fruity-floral-trend. And maybe, maybe (oh I wish!) this might even fuel the perfume interest in one or two teens wandering aimlessly about the perfume department, not yet aware of the fact that there is other fragrances in the perfume world than fruity-florals.

03 December, 2012