Reviews of Kanøn Agarwood by Kanon

Find out more about Kanøn Agarwood by Kanon in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Possum-Pie's avatar

Very strong plastic/fake amber Not my style at all. It shouts "pay attention to me" Incredible projection.

26 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2013)

Calyx93's avatar

I'll echo Swanky's thought that this remotely resembles MPG's Parfum d'Habit. I've worn that lovely juice for years, despite the reformulation, and this certainly bears more than a passing resemblance to the current formulation, but in a very mainstream sort of way. Has the same mossy, leathery opening notes - like old, wet, leather breeches with a touch of horse-hair - but in a petrochemical sort of way.

It does seem to fall flat rather quickly - revealing even more of its synthetic nature, but it's okay and for the price there are much worse scents available. Just go easy on the sprays and don't expect anything remotely resembling agarwood in the mix.

04 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2014)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

This is the wimpiest oud around, but oud nevertheles, and for that reason alone I like it.
    Its synthetic breed is blatantly obvious, but that doesn't mean is unappealing, cheap smelling, thrashy.
    As shamu said, its drydown is plasticine like, but not as bad as ruining the perfume.

How come my critique is so harsh (wimpy, synthetic, plasticine-like) and still this scent gets my thumbs up?
    I honestly do not know, everything I said is IMO as I said, but the perfume smells wonderful regardless. Go figure.

BTW: I think this would be the perfect introduction to oud for those unfamiliar with it. Oud is a learned taste, for most people oud is somewhat repulsive on the first encounter, but after a while it becomes alluring. Think caviar LOL

12 November, 2012

Maxman's avatar

True to other Kanon fragrances, Agarwood packs a punch with little expense.
    The top notes come on strong and slightly stinky, but in a good way.
    It sweetens up a bit as it moves along and at one time I would have thought it was bordering on feminine, but again, not in a bad way.
    Top to bottom, it retains the core Agarwood scent.

29 August, 2012

Swanky's avatar

Kanon Agarwood is my favorite from this house, mostly because I find it more interesting than the other entries. There is nothing especially modern about this fragrance. It is definitely surprising that a budget house would release something this unique in this decade. The closest analog I can think of is Parfum d'Habit. Agarwood is like a mainstream attenuated version of MPG's great masculine. The synthetic oud and rosewood combo approximates the civet-like sharpness of Parfum d'Habit without it's TNT-level power. I agree with Shamu that it also resembles some potent feminines, especially Vagabond, Cabaret and their ilk.

I cannot make great claims for this perfume but I suspect that the Marshall's bin location and sub-$10 price will scare some away that may actually enjoy this oddball contemporary product. The risk is minimal at this pricepoint and I was pleasantly surprised.

12 August, 2012

shamu1's avatar

A modern day powerhouse, if there ever was one. This is dense, thick, heavy and overpowering in the long haul. I smell the oud (synthetic, obviously) overlaid with a LOT of rosewood, with heavy amber, moss, labdanum, sandalwood and patchouli in the base. There is a lot going on with Kanon Agarwood, like a maelstrom of smell.

I like this scent, but unfortunately by the time the drydown arrives, the synthetic quality of a lot of the ingredients becomes evident, and the scent develops a kind of annoying plasticine smell. Luckily it's not so bad as to completely ruin the fragrance for me. Maybe I need to go lighter on the number of sprays, since this is an overpowering fragrance.

Very, very 80s in style, and macho. It even reminds me of some of the brutal powerhouse perfumes for women from the 80s, like Fendi per Donna. This is not a refined scent at all. This is all power, power, power.

MY RATING: 7/10

19 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2012)