Reviews of Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud Concentrée by Acqua di Parma

Find out more about Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud Concentrée by Acqua di Parma in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Aqua di Parma - Oud
    Funny how Oud never can seems to get its engine started, while on the other hand it manages to smell like a overheated car-engine...
    Its opening is a mix of bitter-sour, paprika-green oily-like stuff, that not at any time reaches a level of attractiveness - it smells like cistus with warm rubber-plastic-metal edges to it. After that it gets slightly better with a more dry resinous-woody note, assisted by a sweet-like orange note of maybe neroli/orangeblossom, and bitter almonds that gives it a more rounder feel - but still not attractive. There is a red strawberry/raspberry note that doesn’t dress up the oud in a haut-couture kind of way, more like slutty (like a whore that applies too much, too red-colored lipstick) - before the salty and slight musty, tarry character of it comes through in a powdery and anisic-soapy fashion; still too bitter-sourish, in a unattractive kind of way. I guess, handling oud requires a focused and clever look at its partnering with other basenotes, to make it work as a whole - instead of dressing it up with fancy top- en middle-notes. In the end, Oud settles down in a nice, amyris/oudish-way with a 'fleshy'-leather touch, but you wonder why you have to go through some much noise, before hearing that clear note. I rather like smelling pure oud then Oud.

19 May, 2014

OdilonRedon's avatar

Citrus-cedar thunderclap for the first couple of minutes. Then the oud sweeps in: an extremely dry, woody and - my nose isn't incredible - synthetic oud that is surprisingly satisfying. Sharp but heavy, linear, cedar-y woods prevail at bruisinly high intensity for a good few hours. Five or six hours later, the amyris appears and things begin to soften and slip back into a citrus-incense drydown.

I found myself comparing this to Oud Wood, which is more medicinal - old-fashioned cough linctus as opposed to the more commonly encountered band-aids - and has less of the cedar note (and no citrus). Surprisingly I find I like the AdP better, though compared to the clever TF, this is a brute. It's like being pummelled by a huge Turkish masseur: not completely enjoyable but extremely efficient and you come out of the experience feeling, on balance, the better for it, hence a tentative, and bruised, thumbs-up.

12 April, 2014

rbaker's avatar

The combination of citrus and oud is an interesting on one and quite original. The oud is here, however, not the usual earthy agarwood note, it is pretty good but thinner and probably meant not to overwhelm the citrus; unfortunately that gives it less depth and richness. Additionally, for most of the drydown the coriander is too predominant and the blending is not very smoothly and harmoniously done such as to give the oud a better role. All this is not really a big problem, but there is little development on my skin; silage and projection are quite good though, and the longevity is very good at over seven hours. Clearly an oud cologne combines notes that are quite contradictory - bright citrus with darker oud wood, and that is difficult to pull off. Compared to those masterpieces that did achieve this marriage of contradictions - see Creed's unrivalled citrus-leather dyad in Cuir de Russie - this really is a half-cooked dish. One point for trying though.

21st March, 2014

Not what I was expecting at all. I envisioned this as Colonia Intensa with oud added, but that is not what I’ve found. In the first place I get no citruses – but I seldom get citrus in the presence of strong wood notes, so I’m not saying there are no citruses. What I get throughout the whole fragrance is a strong aromatic effect in the form of oud and coriander; unfortunately the coriander seems to dominate over the oud to the point when I’m thinking “cilantro”… which is wonderful in salsas but I don’t want to smell like… squashed bugs, some people say. If the accord was stronger with oud, I would love it, but there is enough coriander here that I know I’ll never get the squashed bugs thought out of my mind.

Before testing Colonia Intensa Oud, I had been apprehensive about the listed leather note; I do smell the leather and it comes across as a smooth, rich undertone to the aromatic accord, but this particular leather is not at all bothersome to me.

I can well understand why many love this fragrance: It is interesting – rather unique, well-constructed, has excellent-quality materials, and has good longevity. I find it linear, but that is apparently my fault and I would love its linearity if I loved its aroma. But I don’t.

01st March, 2014

ScentFan's avatar

I bought this today for my other half, but will grieve when I part with it. To my still new nose, this is a simply magnificent fragrance! I bought six other great perfumes today, but none equaled this. If there are fragrances significantly better, I don't know how I'll respond when I smell them. Faint dead away in public, I imagine.

04 December, 2013

Eugene Tooms's avatar

Starts well, ends badly

Well...I'm a fan of oud and niche fragrances, so I took the plunge and bought a bottle of this when I found it cheap (well, relatively - I paid £95 and this stuff has an RRP of £170 here in the UK) bottle locally in a department store. A colleague wears Colonia Intensa Oud and I'd tried it before I bought it.

The initial blast is terrific - a kind of winding citrussy thing with dark woody notes underneath. After an hour the oud began to blossom...complex, rich, earthy and heady. I was really enjoying it. But - oh my - after 90 minutes it began to turn on me, and I was left with a powdery, dirty stink. It's hard to describe what it was like but it was a filthy monotone, like some kind of aging excrement. None of my other oud fragrances do this. Oh boy, was I disappointed - I spent £95 on this? It's awful! So bad it gave me a headache. Even after showering five hours later it was still on me. I'd put some on my forearm and even after scrubbing with some black pepper handwash I could still smell it. Obviously my skin chemistry has done something crazy to this.

Anyway, the packaging and presentation of Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud is terrific; the bottle design is great and the box is satin-lined. So that's a point in its favour.

I'd advise going VERY carefully with this one. DEFINITELY get a sample and try it on yourself for a day or two first. It could be great on you, but for me it's horrendous, and I will be selling mine pronto.

Pros: Extreme longevity
    Cons: Turns truly disgusting on me"

18 September, 2013

marcuslaughter's avatar

Aside from the face that I like a fragrance, the greatest indication that something is good or not lies in the number of times that someone makes a positive comment. In this case, that has happened many times. It's a take on the oud with an Italian twist, and I like the end result. It is a pleasure to wear, and is very long lasting.

In addition to this, I own Tom Frod's Oud Wood, which I really like as well as Jo Malone's Oud and Bergamot. All three are great, and actually mix well together.

One final observation is that the packaging of this fine fragrance is truly first class! You will feel like you're opening something truly special, which is good, because this is a great fragrance!

18 April, 2013

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I had a most positive initial response to this – bracing orangey freshness, a glorious coriander note (that perfect bridge between florals and woods), and some pretty limber oud; it felt as if Acqua di Parma had given us that mythical creature a lively oud. But then most things can make a good impression in the ultrabling Harrods perfume halls.
    Trying it in the dog-eared comfort of my own home I am less impressed. The notes from the first time around are all present and correct, but there is a hefty dose of things that smell obviously synthetic, the kind one encounters all too frequently in ‘fresh’ designer ‘masculines’. They do subside in the course of the wear. The oud on closer inspection has that medicinal quality of the Piguet oud release, as if one were sniffing a treated sore. The deep drydown is fuzzy with musks and heading in the soft-suede-with-citruses direction. I dare say the totality of it makes an agreeable impression on the bystander, but it’s not quite right for me.

17 April, 2013

Scentologist's avatar

Its obvious from the beginning that this is an oud fragrance. It doesn't resemble Montale's take on oud, but is most similar to Bon'd NY Amber in character. Lemon and coriander brighten it up a bit, but overall it feels synthetic and not very smooth. The lemon is out of character. Its trying to mix night and day with the lemon as day and the bewitchment of dark oud as night. The result is a juxtapose between the two that doesn't work. There is something synthetic like plastic in there that I find off-putting. I can't comment on longevity and sillage becuase I didn't care to wear it. I award this a thumbs down for lack of originality of the note and trying to combine something bright like lemon with it.

28 March, 2013

distortech's avatar

Absolutely bloody fabulous. Love it. 5 stars, period.

21st March, 2013

Darvant's avatar

I've stumbled over this fragrance due to a friend of mine that asked at me an evaluation about his new Acqua di Parma Oud prominent concoction. More leather than oud in my opinion. At the beginning i felt wrongly the sensation to smell the new V by Clive Christian. I noticed the oud in the air, but not a stark or medicinal dry woodiness while a sort of smooth fruity suede/oud combo which, despite its durable (but moderate) aromatic freshness, is finally softened and warmed by the implementation of musk and balsams. The musk i detect is soothing, enveloping and dense for sure. The leather is in the air till the end with its orangy (ostensibly berries-like) vibe, hints of patchouli and its smooth woody feel. Great projection.
    Ps: Tried it again on my skin recently. I have to say that the note of musk/lavender is really notable, it is by soon something fruity and aromatic a la Le Male with a prominent watery freshness from the lavender, the balsamic touch from a strong coriander (this balsamic and a bit "post-industrial" amber/musk touch reminds me slightly Esoteric by Alyssa Asheley and slightly Alien in some of its nuances), may be an hint of sambac jasmine, a touch of camphor and a soapy sheer lingering vibe which is performing till almost the end of the run when and oud/leather tandem starts to express its great influence (something gassy, a bit boots polish type, woody and leathery with a subtle fruity- simil plummy undertone).

02 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2013)

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Very good, clean, western, and woody take on Oud. Not reliant on Citrus at all, like one would expect from ADP. Not animalic. Not dirty. Just a super clean floral-fresh top, and a super clean, dry, cambodian-Oud woody base. Excellent.

20th February, 2013

John E Buoy's avatar

I really like this one.
    IMO it is a cross between Montale Black Aoud and Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Oud.
    If you the like the Montale, but find Black Aoud too strong, this one will suit you.
    If you like MFK's Oud, but don't like the price tag, here is a cheaper, but equally as good (maybe a bit better) option.

01st January, 2013

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud.
    Initially the smell of ADP's Oud is all Colonia Intensa followed by a warm but well balanced oud woods base note. I would call this oud the FRESH WOODS OUD. The opening is a bit synthetic but highly charged, very fresh, citrus + light spice woods which lead immediately into a warm oud musk base. It is a light fresh kind of a leather fragrance but theres not enough leather here to really call it a leather scent. For that matter there is not enough oud to call it an oud scent either. This combination of fresh woods and oud leather makes for a very easy to live with oud that is fresh and invigorating while retaining the old world traditional leather oud base. This would be a good starter oud scent because it is very easy to like and wears well. There is very little to object to with ADP's Colonia Intensa Oud. rating 3.5 / 5.

05 December, 2012