Neutral Reviews of Umbra by Ramon Monegal

Find out more about Umbra by Ramon Monegal in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

I really have no idea why I'm just not enjoying Umbra. This is the kind of scent that I usually love, and which almost always smell great on me.

It goes on with a blast of grapefruit before the bergamot/moss chypre smell comes through, supporting a leafy green smell that's as much mossy geranium as it is vetiver. The whole thing is a weird push/pull between the brightness of the citrus and the fusty mossy quality of the greens, which I think is what's turning me off. Somehow, they don't feel fully incorporated, like there's a note missing or maybe one too many ingredients. I honestly don't know, but something in there just isn't "clicking" for me, and I think it's just something personal.

I suppose it's mostly that there are so many excellent vetivers out there (Guerlain, Chanel, Givenchy, MPG, Dior, et al) that I have little patience for one that doesn't wow me.

31st March, 2013

Marais's avatar
    Marais

A watered-down version of Vetiver Tonka, masculinised by reduced sweetness and a bit of added pepper. Very pleasant for the 3 hours it lasted.

26 October, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Umbra is a dry, kinda sweet-balmy, woody-mossy vetiver. Closer in concept to Fat Electrician, Vetiver Oriental or even Vetiver Tonka but very different in the execution which result somewhat more "classic" (expecially during the drydown). Fans of old-school restrained mascluines should check this one out.

To be completely honest, it actually opens with a modern accord of green fresh vetiver and pepper to then quickly evolve into a sweeter woody-mossy balsamic drydown that's definitely more old-fashioned.

Interesting if you like restrained mascluine fragrances. Turns great on a woman...

10th July, 2012