Neutral Reviews of Umbra by Ramon Monegal

Meh. It's pleasant enough, but smells like a million other things out there (CK One, for example). And certainly not worth $185 for 50 ml. Citrus oils are among the least expensive fragrance ingredients, and vetiver and pepper are also not especially rare or pricey.

There are many other similar fragrances that are both less expensive and more distinctive and memorable.
31st May, 2016
I really have no idea why I'm just not enjoying Umbra. This is the kind of scent that I usually love, and which almost always smell great on me.

It goes on with a blast of grapefruit before the bergamot/moss chypre smell comes through, supporting a leafy green smell that's as much mossy geranium as it is vetiver. The whole thing is a weird push/pull between the brightness of the citrus and the fusty mossy quality of the greens, which I think is what's turning me off. Somehow, they don't feel fully incorporated, like there's a note missing or maybe one too many ingredients. I honestly don't know, but something in there just isn't "clicking" for me, and I think it's just something personal.

I suppose it's mostly that there are so many excellent vetivers out there (Guerlain, Chanel, Givenchy, MPG, Dior, et al) that I have little patience for one that doesn't wow me.
31st March, 2013
Marais Show all reviews
A watered-down version of Vetiver Tonka, masculinised by reduced sweetness and a bit of added pepper. Very pleasant for the 3 hours it lasted.
26th October, 2012

Umbra is a dry, kinda sweet-balmy, woody-mossy vetiver. A solid rosy-geranium plays a central role providing both fresh and old-school facet. Kinda soapy. To be completely honest, it actually opens with a modern accord of green fresh vetiver and pepper to then quickly evolve into a sweeter woody-mossy balsamic drydown that's definitely more old-fashioned.

Interesting if you like restrained mascluine fragrances. Turns great on a woman...

10th July, 2012 (last edited: 03rd July, 2014)