Negative Reviews of Cuir 28 by Le Labo

Le Labo Cuir 28 Dubai is mostly refined, semi-dirty, dark leather fragrance that is among the strongest EDP members in the city exclusive line in terms of quality and power of the juice, alongside Poivre 23 London. Cuir 28 is, unsurprisingly, comprised mostly of leather. I get almost a dirty tar vibe out of it, with something slightly sweet to prevent it from getting dirty and earthy in a patchouli way. Still, I'd argue that this is far more to the dirty side than the sweet side, just not wholly committed to dirty. In that respect, it's a little less refined than Tom Ford Tuscan Leather, which I regard as more inviting. I generally don't opt for leather fragrances, but Cuir 28, (like Tuscan Leather or Coach Leatherware No. 3), is one I could wear, and wear often.

Unfortunately, the cost is prohibitive at $290 per 50ml, as with the rest of the city exclusive line. I'll at least defend Cuir 28 in that it has the projection, longevity, and utility to make it more worthwhile than some of the city exclusive line, but it's still almost inaccessible at that price point, specifically when, at $70 cheaper, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather largely accomplishes the same feat. Granted, no one should quibble over price at that point--they should simply get what they want.

7 out of 10
01st October, 2015
Starts out very industrial.
Adhesive chemicals mixed with tar & petrol.
Along the lines of Le Labo Patchouli 24 but no where as warm and enveloping.
More like the whipping gesture of Gomma mixed with Etro, Nostalgia & Xerjoff’s Hommage.
But the final touch is a vanilla, bonding it together peacefully.
It is no doubt typically eccentric – like Le Labo is usually.
It remains medicinal for a while.
Soon the musk appears and adds another dimension.

Its not an animalic musk. It’s a industrial workshop musk.

Smelling Cuir 28 reminded me of when I got lost in Suzhou many years ago.
I’d gone off the beaten path and found myself next to a huge factory. Where apparently petroleum by products were processed.

The middle bit is where the excitement deceases.
It turns into a glowing vetiver (very synthetic – not that that’s a bad thing but its certainly not natural smelling).
The tar, leather, musk and anything that added flair is now gone. Very similar to Jovoy – Private Label.
It’s a warm glowing single dimensional vetiver .
Its sad because I am from Dubai and have been waiting 3 years for this to come out.
I’m a big Le Labo fan. I own and enjoy around 10 and will pick up another 5 soon. I had high hopes for Cuir 28.
To summarize, it starts out nice. Not unique mind you, but nice. A superb middle and ending would've made this a winner. That, it lacked.
06th November, 2013