Positive Reviews of Interlude Man by Amouage

Find out more about Interlude Man by Amouage in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Darvant's avatar

Interlude Man strikes me soon for the olfactory juxtapositions of diversely consistent and "oriented" spheres since a dark woody/oriental resinous basement is by soon counteracted by a weirdly fresh, hesperidic and mineral first approach. The overmentioned juxtaposition conjures me more than vaguely the wonderful Jacques Zolty by Jacques Zolty's structure. (I detect also many points in common with the interesting but probably less "fresh/warm" in perception Nemo by Cacharel because of the common interaction between fresh spices, pepper, lavender, patchouli, olibanum, herbal notes, leather and woods). The previous two scents (Amouage and Zolty I mean) are extremely close each other as sharing a huge number of notes (a musk/patchouli common backbone, a bunch of mineral secret elements, bergamot, oregano, mild spices, probably lavender, ambergris, woodsy resins, olibanum, sandalwood, suede end further). Probably Interlude Man smells more finally smokey and resinous being Zolty on the contrary more initially aromatic, floral (rosey) and mineral. The Interlude Man's beginning (following a really close to Zolty evolution process) starts with a really aromatic, musky, mineral and peppery (almost "Nu_besque" in the approach) "ambiental" accord (almost silent and holy in expression) embodied by an oregano/lavender/fresh bergamot/soft musk/cistus agreement. The note of oregano is heady and perfumed (really aromatic I mean), a dominant realistic element in the top of the structure. The cistus in particular provides an herbal and humid undertone throughout as it is supported by a dark and earthy patchouli stout presence. The note of olibanum (never too much churchy or sacramental) keeps soon contaminating the elements with its smokey aromatic mild exhalations (a dull, soft, progressive, harmonic burning perfumed incense treated with burning sweet spices and aromatic mild resins). By soon the mineral muskiness is turned out such a craggy, somewhat spongy, carnal, slightly fruity and herbal one by the costus/ambergris intervenction itself. The note of olibanum is averagely smokey/spicy and it melds perfectly its substance with the musky/ambery resinous basement providing such a resinous and mossy accord mastered by a main smokey/spicy temperament (a vague conjuration about the Piguet Casbah's incensey/spicy/resinous consistency). I still detect a musk/ambergris/myrrh main basement on which the mineral and aromatic patterns still jump and sparkle. There is a mild spiciness enriching the cloud which is basically in my opinion elicited by pepper (in particular) and cinnamon (may be coriander). I don't feel in particular a sheer final oudh apparition (since a sort of resinous woodsness is operating throughout) while is easily catchable a disclosing completing suede touch managing to soften the scretchy ambery muskiness while leading it towards a velvety/silky woody sphere. The sandalwood (but even the oud note) in particular emerges at distance averagely dry, barely fruity and never syrupy or overly resinous. Interlude Man possesses for sure an intricate structure in which each note performs greatly its individuality and owns its autonomy though in the meanwhile partaking to a complex harmonious olfactory game, that's plain. The creation is a modern oud/olibanum rendition in which the previous elements are such of baptised and deprived of their classic medicinal or overly liturgical characteristics. This fragrance is a solid composition with its dark spicy/incensey and musky appeal but is in the things to underline as its lack of uniqueness and the slightly synthetic final vibe surrounding the agarwood resins in particular turn it out unworthy of its abnormal € 195 for a 50 ml bottle. Great longevity and slightly more than discreet (but constantly lingering as a ghost) projection on my skin.

19 March, 2014

blackheart2925's avatar

India India

Just tried my sample and initial thoughts are

sweet / smoky / leather and a little pungent...i like the opening :) have a local indian attar oud mulhallat blend which smells somewhat similar but Interlude seems to be more refined and richer whereas the attar smells kind of thin

is there any oud in this, seems to catch a tiny whiff of it now and then

will post more thoughts as i spend more time with it

08 March, 2014

FISS80's avatar

I'm late to the party on this one but I will still share my opinion. Opens very fruity and medicinal. Medicinal as in Vicks Vapor Rub but truly intoxicating. This stage stays for about an hour. Them it transitions into a smoky sweet smell that I cannot get enough of. Easily my favorite part of the fragrance. Interlude Man then proceeds to effortlessly transition between these two stages for the duration, which is extremely long. Easily 12 hours. Very well blended. I detect the leather, Opponax and cistus mostly in this fragrance(based off of the description of the aforementioned as I have never personally smelled them. Incredible Longevity and siliage. A FB may be in the future...

03 March, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

England may now be a smoke-free land, but this fragrance by Amouage is an Interlude from normality. This is not your everyday designer fragrance or one that you will find everyone wearing on the bus.
    Interlude (which graced us with its presence in 2012), primarily dominates with an opening of smoke along with a cleverly designed oregano note that is most unusual in modern perfumery (that's Amouage for you all over!). It's very carefully hidden, but you can be sure it's there!
    But my favourite note in this extremely long lasting (and by that I mean 12 hours at least!) is the incense. This is no ordinary incense though. This is actually 'sweet incense' or 'sweet myrrh' which is commonly referred to as Opopanax. This is quite a contrasting combination with the earlier smoke that accompanies the opening of the scent, but it nonetheless works beautifully!
    I have to agree with others that the bottle of this fragrance and the box are just sheer royalty. It's a thumbs up from me.

09 January, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

A skanky oud and incense which is pretty good. I would buy a full bottle of this stuff if it wasn't so expensive. I get the leather and woody notes in this one. One of the best Amouage scents thus far IMO.

04 November, 2013

Hackensack's avatar

An Interesting Experience

I'm not much of a reviewer, but wanted to comment on this one. I wore it yesterday, and yes it might have been one spray too many, as the smokey incense generated a few comments.

But to me most of the experience was marked by a constant wafting back and forth between the sweet resiny root-beer scent of the opoponax and the oudy facet of the frankincense (like the oud element of Creed's Royal Oud, which is criticised as not being real-oud enough). Made for a fascinating experience, which not enough fragrances deliver. Don't even know if I really LIKE the root-beer aspect, but do look forward to trying it a few more times..........

18 October, 2013

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Alpha scintillating leather

Amouage Interlude Man is a fragrance that I have a personal preference for because I am such an easy target for well adjusted patchouli especially when some leather is added and the essence of this fragrance formulation is the cooling but dominant patchouli leather over incense base. The fragrance never relaxes into a mellow interlude that I can find - but it keeps a smooth sharp cutting edge of scintillating spice honed incense woods and leather. The intensity is definitely on all the time - don't have to read between the lines with this one. One spritz will do, trust me. Interlude Man is a thoroughly enjoyable expressionistic fragrance. Those who are looking for warmth and comfort may not like this one, but I like the bold character of it.

Pros: distinctive, clean, penetrating, cooling, dominant
    Cons: very bold with tendency to intrude on others space"

12 October, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

Intensity, intensity

Oregano. Check. Blast of thundering incense. Check. A small application blasting the senses of loved ones. Check.

How anyone could go through much of this, I do not know. It is intense, powerful, and I really like it a lot. I could spend a long time just sitting with this one out in the open, by the sea.

The problem is, my family hated it; I mean, not mere dislike, but hate. It might be a solitary guilty pleasure of a small sample while traveling.

07 September, 2013

Michelangelo's avatar

Poland Poland

Extraordinary

I am an Amouage fan and interlude is my latest acquisition and I'm delighted. It smells like nothing I've ever sprayed on me before. Women in my office came to me and started smelling my neck which was something new to me :) I am not even going to pretend I have an in-depth knowledge about parfumes, I either love something, I'm indifferent or hate it. It certainly isn't a fragrance for everyone, but it's worth a try.

Pros: Nothing like it
    Cons: Price, maybe"

16 August, 2013

PeteH's avatar

Love the stuff!

This fragrance takes at least an hour to find its feet, and to my nose it's most comfortable after the fourth hour has passed.

Once the slightly strident top-notes have burned off, it's the closest thing to the smoke of burning frankincense that I have ever encountered.

Pros: Nobody else will be wearing it. A truly nuclear 24-hour Frankincense bomb.
    Cons: Overdose on this stuff, and you'll get reported to the OPCW.

22 June, 2013

reveillee's avatar

A strong and dark perfume for men who like fragrances that stand out. Definitely can pick out the Oregano note.
    The first couple wearings of this didn't impress me much as it smelled of an incense/leather bomb. After trying it again, I began to appreciate it more and pick more notes. Not a crowd pleaser so be careful on the trigger.

Pros: longevity, rich, quality
    Cons: top notes may be too strong in spice/incense for some

17 May, 2013 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2014)

Chriso's avatar

This is the first time I have ever posted anything on basenotes, and it has taken the inspirtation of interlude man for me to do so. I tested this today and i am instantly hooked on this...hard to see how any other fragrance could ever better this. Best sillage/longevity ever!! Wow

27 April, 2013

Dernier_Cri's avatar

Amazingly opulent and warm oriental from Amouage. Like being immersed in a fluffy cloud of spiced leather, amber and soft wood. Powerful but soft. Rich. Regal. Like a lot of things from Amouage, Interlude can be quite mesmerizing. If I were more open to this style of oriental maybe I wouldn't feel so much that it's soft cloudlike fluffiness teases more than it satisfies. If I were myself more calm and meditative maybe I wouldn't always be looking for an edge. Definitely fit for the temple. Or baby powder for the king. A must try.

16 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2013)

drseid's avatar

Interlude Man opens extremely briefly with just the faintest dash of fresh bergamot before transitioning to its primary heart accord of very smoky burning incense and what is most likely synthetic rubbery Oud. Underneath the two co-stars that dominate most of the scent's development are supporting notes of mild basil, relatively sweet opoponax and musky rock-rose. During the late dry-down the smokiness of the incense slowly dissipates but the rubbery Oud, opoponax and rock-rose remain through the end, now joining just detectable sandalwood to sweeten the scent further as it fades out. Projection is above average and longevity is exceptional at well over 12 hours on skin.

Interlude Man could have been great, but it just isn't. It's primary problem is the synthetic smelling Oud that just is too strong, and when coupled with the equally ridiculously potent smoky incense and underlying sweetness from the supporting cast it becomes a bit too much. That is not to imply Interlude Man smells bad; it doesn't. It just never lives up to its potential and just smelling "good" is inexcusable at the prices Amouage is charging. While the scent may be a bit disappointing (somewhat reminding me of Arso which I disliked but this smells a lot better) the performance is outstanding with the scent lasting for what seems like forever. I don't know whether that is a good thing as it is just barely pleasant smelling, but at least it shows that Amouage did not water down Interlude Man for sure. Performance aside, the relatively disappointing Interlude Man gets a "good" rating of 3 out of 5 for the scent and a very tepid thumbs up. I recommend passing this one over for purchase as it is *way* overpriced.

29 January, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Now this is a somewhat dull opening of a weak bergamot freshness with a bit of herb that develops into a wonderfully deep and pure blend of spice, oud and opoponax - the latter being very intense - like a supercharged Gucci Envy - and this mix become the dominating note of this fragrance. It has - so a Japanese told me - the characteristic smell of the incense used in some Japanese temples when ceremonies to honor the deceased are performed and is of a beautiful richness. Hints of wood stay in the background. This incense-based scent's natural ingredients are of the highest quality and the whole is of amazing depth, albeit not changing very much for hours. Great silage and projection with a longevity of about eight hours on me. A great scent.

28 December, 2012

spirit966's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

I give this a thumbs up for quality but a neutral for personal preference.
    Interlude actually ticks all the boxes for quality, longevity and projection. Unfortunately 2 things comes to mind for me
    1) it's an oriental, but isn't arabesque like Jubilation or Epic, it feels a little bit like a western take of an oriental
    2) the sweetness of the fragrance overlaps with other vanillic fragrances I already have. If I own "x"now I may buy Interlude, but only when I finish x. Then again, price may be a mitigating factor.

In all honesty though this fragrance as a bit of everything, the greeness of Memoir, the incense, the myrrh which makes it unique, the vanillic sweetness, a hint of turkish delight accord and some leather and oud in the end. It fills a gap between Jubilation because its less opulent, a gap between Epic because it is less animalic despite having a similar base, fills the gap between Memoir because of the greeness in the opening.
    Some will like this, others may find it lacking a bit of edge from an Amouage.

09 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

duration, sillage, heavy charme and full tilt sexiness, a modern day powerhouse 10/10

23 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2013)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is by far, one of the best fragrances released by Amouage. this is a masterpiece guys.
    The opening is very dark and smoky leather and incense scents mixed with herbal oregano note and very warm and sweet amber as a back bone of the fragrance.
    Believe me or not, the smoky oregano, smell like a burned opium to my nose!
    No guys I'm not a junkie! but I know how a burned opium smell like and the opening smell really close to that.
    There are some spicy notes trying to show their faces but other notes are too strong and pushing spicy notes to the background.
    Now in the mid, the herbal oregano settle down and now the army of spicy notes are attacking!
    The smoky leather and strong spicy notes riding side by side! sometimes spicy notes are taking the lead and sometimes smoky notes. the spicy note is more pepper and give the mid a very warm and peppery aroma. the sweet amber exist but it's just watching the fight.
    You can smell strong woods as well and it's just a few steps behind those wild and angry leaders.
    In the base you have a sweet and dark woody smoky scent with beautiful cinnamon aroma mixing with other notes.
    Very complex and great scent. I love it.
    Now I'm sure you want to know about projection and longevity right?!
    Just one word .... nuclear! very strong projection and longevity. no problem at all.

17 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2012)

Oveis's avatar

This juice is absolutely stunning.

What I smell here is a powerful structure of oud and opium. By opium I mean precisely the smell of the opium poppy's sap. Might be the oregano or the "oud smoke" (don't really know what it is) in the list of notes, but I smell opium.
    Frankincense, labdanum, sandalwood and patchouli just dance around this intoxicating skeleton, making for one of the most extraordinary fragrances I've ever tried. Yhink of De Niro smoking opium Once upon a Time in America and mixh the smell in the air with the fragrance he might have wore there, and you get Interlude. Big thumbs up!

10th October, 2012

Kaern's avatar

Better than Memoir imo but not a patch on the Lyric duo, Dia, Silver, Jubilation or even Honour. The benchmark is high though. I find the opening particularly scratchy and rather jarring and I only really like it after about an hour or so when the leather, patchouli and incense take over completely. Can't fault the longevity or sillage, but am getting suspicious regarding the so called 'quality materials' used. Still, more interesting than most though.

04 October, 2012

halomatic's avatar

Belgium Belgium

quality stuff from Oman again.
    the famous incense married off to modern wood and spices,
    let there be harmony.

23 August, 2012

Mujana's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

First opninion (I cannot call it a review), on this scent. And first post ever from me on basenotes. Happy to be here (have been reading a lot).
    After many scents from Serge Lutens / Creed / Amouage (Jubilation XXV) , others ánd Amouage Gold last year, I find this Amouage Interlude Man absolutely stunning!
    I did like Gold in the beginning (but after some time it became a bit boring and too flowery for me). I needed to get used to Jubilation XXV and after some time it smelled very nice...but...ehm (how to say this?)...a bit average and not too outspoken on my skin. But then there was Interlude! Very good silage and longevity that lasts untill next morning! At this moment it is the best fragrance I ever used.Two to 3 puffs of this is enough to smell it all day...and the changes it goes through...absolute masterpiece! Yes, it starts out very loud and disturbing, but also very loveable and nice at the same time.
    Top/heart and base..everything seems to be in balance and there 's a natural flow from top to middle to base. At the same time every part is so different! How did Negrin do this??
    In my first posting here on Basenotes I can only say, that I'm really overwhelmed by this Amouage...in a very positive way...really a piece of Art!

10th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2012)