Positive Reviews of Interlude Man by Amouage

Such a powerful, masculine scent with exemplary performance, sillage and longevity. Amouage 'Interlude' is easily one of, if not the most dominating fragrances I am ever encountered.

The smell reminds me of Antonio Puig's 'Quorum', a powerhouse with superb strength in its own right. Tobacco, greens, incense, patchouli, leather. 'Interlude' adds cumin, allspice, oud and woods to this mix, plus nuclear projection and sillage.

The initial blast is bergamot and spices, incense and a hint of amber. Its very strong, projects a good five feet out and lingers everywhere. The middle notes of incense and some patchouli come out slowly over the next few hours and settle in beautifully. It almost has a marijuana note at some points, which depending on your tastes, smells great or is too herbal, ethnic and off-putting.

The base of tobacco, leather, greens and oud are present throughout, but really begin to shine about four hours in. This is where the fragrance really becomes a masterpiece, with uncompromising masculinity and smokiness carrying on for what seems an eternity. A classy, deep, dark and mysterious smell, akin to upscale Middle Eastern boutiques in someplace like Dubai or Istanbul.

Longevity with just six sprays (neck, shoulders, and wrists) was 16-20+ hours, with massive projection and sillage all the way through. My girlfriend asked if I just sprayed some cologne on when I walked in the door coming home from work. I was shocked, because I sprayed this stuff on 14 hours ago that morning and it still smelled fresh to her! And it keep projecting all night long. You literally have to wash this off to get it off you. It 'becomes' you.

I find it to be funny when people say only 'one or two' sprays, then complain about the performance or lack of compliments from fragrances. With 'Interlude', you really could only use two sprays for a date night, group setting or professional engagement and be good for six to eight hours. This stuff lasts for several weeks, if not months on clothes and fabrics.

I can definitely highly recommend this to powerhouse fragrance lovers or anyone seeking pure manliness in a bottle. The price is well worth the performance and longevity you get, as one large 100ml bottle of this should last you several years.
17th June, 2017
Initial thoughts on this juice... Incensy, Loud, Forest like, Sweet, Dark... then... wait I have smelled something like this before. Interlude man does start off amazing... incensy and very bright... As it dries I find that it becomes very familiar. I hunt through my samples and find that I do have something similar... If you layer Ore from Slumberhouse with L'Air du Desert Marocain from Tauer you get very close to Interlude man (at least the 30 minute mark of Interlude Man). When I got those samples I sprayed them both on the same arm by mistake... I would say that if you are in the market for an incensy juice this is amazing but I would TRY BEFORE YOU BUY because this might not be everyone's cup of tea. I will have to save the rest of my sample for the winter to fully enjoy this amazing juice. Enjoy!
31st May, 2017
Unique fragrance - very spicy and not to everybody's taste. Initially I didn't like the turmeric note, but it softens during the dry down. Not one of my favourites, but high quality nonetheless. Longevity and projection are excellent for this oriental middle-Eastern masterpiece.
22nd April, 2017 (last edited: 06th May, 2017)

Absolute masterpiece from Interlude and one of my favourite scents of all time. I've had many compliments when wearing this. It has a woody, spicy fragrance which lasts for days with amazing sillage. It takes time to get used to this fragrance and may seem overpowering at first for some people. It is well worth every penny.
11th February, 2017
A balsamic smoky ambery sweet powdery fragrance with an amazing drydown.

At first sniff it was ok. it smelled unique and different.a little bit harsh from the oregano. then in the drydown the smell became so nice and appealing. sweet powdery smoky leathery ambery vanillic drydown. its perfect for the cold weather. less is more with interlude man as it is a beast.

7.8/10
10th November, 2016
Interlude Man is a beautiful incense, myrrh, amber, oregano fragrance. As a matter of fact, that is all I smell, incense, myrrh, amber and oregano. I love it! It is very smoky/leather, soothing and calming. I don't smell any citrus here. It is very bold and lasts a very long time on me. 7-8 hours. Magnificent creation by Amouage
04th March, 2016
Dusty leathery incense. Big projection. Big sillage. Long lasting. Nice! 4+/5.

update: The leather is of the liquid-smoke-meaty type found in, say, Patchouli 24; however, at a much lower contributory level and ancillary to the incense which smells a lot like some sweet myrhh resins I burn occasionally. This is one of my 'belly-button fragrances': one spray only and no higher than the navel. Anything more results in quick and brutal diminishing returns... and deserved reprisals.
27th February, 2016 (last edited: 27th August, 2016)
Just received Interlude and I am greatly impressed! So, first off this is reminiscent of Molton Brown's Navigation Scent Rogart from the balsamic sweet feel I get up front; There is also this Versace Man (purple bottle) violet aroma you pick up in the beginning as well. Absolutely stunning!!!

Interlude at first spray is sharp and pungent, yet fruity. There is the sweet berry flavor (not overtly sweet) that I get that works well with the woodsy overtones. Friends, as have been mentioned...you DO NOT need much of this, I repeat-you DO NOT need much of this!!

I sprayed one spray on the back of my hand and dubbed on the other and I can smell this undoubtedly. The projection in d this is masterfully overwhelming in a good way! As I smell this, a few fragrances come to mind; Rogart (balsimic), L'artisan's Mure Et Musc (Fruity), Creed's Baie De Genievre (bergamot w/extra stuff)...I do get the burnt leaves connection, however very minimal (although this sounds uneventful, it is not a bad thing). If you were to combine Creed's BdG, with the woody leathery sharpness of Creed's Royal Oud I think the end product could be something that would resembles Amouage's Interlude. These descriptors are just to give you a point of reference to what Interlude is like. The way this fragrance blends is amazing!!!

Projection=10
Sillage-9
Versatility=7 (moves, from fruity, wood, soapy/fruity back to woodsy
Overall scent=10 (amazing scent)

Fellas, this wonderful.....
10th February, 2016 (last edited: 11th February, 2016)
Amouage Interlude Man is one of the more intense expressions of incense--oudy, smoky--that I've had the inclination to try, mainly based on its strong reputation, and certainly its strength is not in question.

I get mainly a burst of frankincense and myrrh at the opening, which has more of a bite, almost unpleasantly so, and also throughout the dry down. Frankly, the these aspects are so powerful that my nose cannot detect much of the blend. I'm not even sure I get to the patchouli after the incense and myrrh. It's a fascinating composition, powerful yet not quite overwhelming in the dry down, but still very close to being overwhelming.

Certainly both the projection and longevity of this fragrance are at the extreme end, instantly increasing the value. And certainly this is for usage during cold weather exclusively, at least for my purposes in the Northern hemisphere.

I like it, but I don't love it, though in fairness, I'm not the biggest fan of incense-laden fragrances. I generally gravitate toward something more softened and balanced by sweetness, such as Imaginary Authors' Memoirs of a Trespasser.

7 out of 10
07th January, 2016
Bought it from Dubai Duty Free with a normal cap and havent noticed any change in performance, excellent fragrance. Great silage and longevity for me 12+ hours. I found the opening a bit harsh and loud but after a while it turns into this astonishing masterpiece. If you like something with a dark, deep, mysterious character... This is IT!

16th November, 2015
Emoe Show all reviews
thimbs up because i like the scent, and the notes.

however, amouage normally has this amazing ability to just duracell any frag (goes on and on and on) but strangely, im not getting that monster sillage and longevity with Interlude.
its gorgeous to use, and im glad i have a big decant, but probably wouldnt buy a full size over other amouage scents.
31st May, 2015
God knows Amouage have done the 'go big or go home' style masculine fragrances before. In fact they are some of the line's most successful perfumes. Hybrid vigor, Amouage's implicit goal, has led to beautiful fragrances that highlight traditional Eastern materials and Western compositional methods.

The sensibility that results from this hybrid has seldom been timid and Interlude Man is a beast, but a lovely one. Contemporary men's fragrances, niche and mainstream alike, often use a particular set of woody notes to imply masculinity. This limited vocabulary has drawbacks. Firstly, these notes are usually created from a range of aromachemicals that, when left alone, smell like chemicals. Secondly, without padding, without other notes to fill the empty spaces and round out the angles, men's fragrances often smell alike and lack nuance. Interlude avoids this mistake and is aromatic, expensive, nuanced, complex and capital-B Beautiful.

Line up Interlude with Amouage's other classic masculines (Dia, Ciel, Epic...) and the family resemblance, based largely in their use of incense, is easy to see. The real point of comparison for Interlude, though is the best of the men's Power Fragrances from the 1980s. They're sometimes referred to as knuckle dragging simpletons, but the best of them were simultaneously loud, beautiful and subtle. YSL Kouros was an orange-flower beauty. Hermès Bel Ami wrapped leather in violet and gasoline. Chanel Antaeus had aromatic top notes and lunged at you like a coke-head on aldehydes. Dior Jules and Caron Third Man emphasized the ruggedness of the fougère by smothering it in aromatic and floral notes. Lauder for Men hid its gruffness behind a very pretty muguet note.

Interlude is most similar to the BFFs of the time, the Big Fucking Fougères. It doesn't share the genres defining lavender/coumarin mix, but it balances bass and baritone notes with durable higher pitched notes. Like the BFFs it has a broad spectrum harmony that lasts from start to finish. You don't just hear the high-pitched notes in the top notes, and you don't get the lower register notes only in the bass notes. The harmony last from top to bottom. The similarity to the fougère genre lies in its aromatic quality. Where an aromatic fougère might use geranium or some other leafy green, Interlude uses oregano.

Oregano! Maybe not the greatest selling point points in a list of notes, but extremely successful in bringing a green expansive quality to a woody perfume. A bit of patchouli seems to integrate the oregano, so that it doesn't suggest pizza or a sore thumb. Incense jumps out from first sniff, but the rest of the woody tone is an interesting blend. Oud? Sandalwood? There is a warm, leathery, dusty quality in the basenotes that just purrs.

Interlude's combination of boldness and complexity differentiates it from the dull crowd of most contemporary woody fragrances and links it to the best of the 1980s. Vive le power frag
18th May, 2015
Not as bad as the first time I tried it. I got a real good 4 spray wearing out of my sample the other day, and I do think it's a nice fragrance.

The opening is a bit confusing. Cotton candy.. seriously, yes Amouage does cotton candy. Actually a few Amouage's I have tried have surprised me with very synthetic candy-like openings, and this is one of them. Within 20 minutes or so it settles down into more of a birch tar, smokey incense. I pick up on the oud later on in the dry down, especially when I spray it on clothing, that's where the oud really shines.

Overall, I give it a hesitant thumbs up, because of its unique style, power, and longevity. It takes risks, but it doesn't go too out of bounds with it, like another fragrance that's sort of in its same league, which is Jeke by Slumberhouse. They mouth have this weird "barbeque meat/old tea bag" note, but in Interlude Man, it works well!

This is would be a sure thumbs up if the price was lower. I understand niche is a luxury item, but some of these companies really gouge you for what you get, no bottle of any fragrance should cost more than 150 bucks direct from the manufacturer. I've dabbled in fragrance making quite a bit, and have made some good high quality stuff that smelled comparable to the high end niche stuff, and it didn't cost me more than $20 to make, and that's for 10 oz worth. Unfortunately sometimes a fragrance is just that damn good, and there's no way to avoid the cost, and while I should practice what I preach, I myself have succumbed to the gouging, for fragrances that I really wanted.
26th April, 2015

Where Memoir Man falls short, Interlude Man gets it right. The traditional masculine notes of woods, leather and tobacco are replaced by amber and resins. The result is an astonishing blend of incense and sweetness that is a unique olfactory experience. It seems to project more and last longer even than most other Amouages.
08th March, 2015
Interlude Man strikes me soon for the olfactory juxtapositions of diversely consistent and "oriented" spheres since a dark woody/oriental resinous basement is by soon counteracted by a weirdly fresh, hesperidic and mineral first approach. The overmentioned juxtaposition conjures me more than vaguely the wonderful Jacques Zolty by Jacques Zolty's structure. (I detect also many points in common with the interesting but probably less "fresh/warm" in perception Nemo by Cacharel because of the common interaction between fresh spices, pepper, lavender, patchouli, olibanum, herbal notes, leather and woods). The previous two scents (Amouage and Zolty I mean) are extremely close each other as sharing a huge number of notes (a musk/patchouli common backbone, a bunch of mineral secret elements, bergamot, oregano, mild spices, probably lavender, ambergris, woodsy resins, olibanum, sandalwood, suede end further). Probably Interlude Man smells more finally smokey and resinous being Zolty on the contrary more initially aromatic, floral (rosey) and mineral. The Interlude Man's beginning (following a really close to Zolty evolution process) starts with a really aromatic, musky, mineral and peppery (almost "Nu_besque" in the approach) "ambiental" accord (almost silent and holy in expression) embodied by an oregano/lavender/fresh bergamot/soft musk/cistus agreement. The note of oregano is heady and perfumed (really aromatic I mean), a dominant realistic element in the top of the structure. The cistus in particular provides an herbal and humid undertone throughout as it is supported by a dark and earthy patchouli stout presence. The note of olibanum (never too much churchy or sacramental) starts soon contaminating the elements with its smokey aromatic mild exhalations (a dull, soft, progressive, harmonic burning perfumed incense treated with burning sweet spices and aromatic mild resins). By soon the mineral muskiness is turned out such a craggy, somewhat spongy, carnal, slightly fruity and herbal one by the costus/ambergris intervenction itself. The note of olibanum is averagely smokey/spicy and it melds perfectly its substance with the musky/ambery resinous basement providing such a resinous and mossy accord mastered by a main smokey/spicy temperament (a vague conjuration about the Piguet Casbah's incensey/spicy/resinous consistency). I still detect a musk/ambergris/myrrh main basement on which the mineral and aromatic patterns still jump and sparkle. There is a mild spiciness enriching the cloud which is basically in my opinion elicited by pepper (in particular) and cinnamon (may be coriander). I don't feel in particular a sheer final oudh apparition (since a sort of resinous woodsness is operating throughout) while is easily catchable a disclosing completing suede touch managing to soften the scretchy ambery muskiness while leading it towards a velvety/silky woody sphere. The sandalwood (but even the oud note) in particular emerges at distance averagely dry, barely fruity and never syrupy or overly resinous. Interlude Man possesses for sure an intricate structure in which each note performs greatly its individuality and owns its autonomy though in the meanwhile partaking to a complex harmonious olfactory game, that's plain. The creation is a modern oud/olibanum rendition in which the previous elements are such of baptised and deprived of their classic medicinal or overly liturgical characteristics. This fragrance is a solid composition with its dark spicy/incensey and musky appeal but is in the things to underline as its lack of uniqueness and the slightly synthetic final vibe surrounding the agarwood resins in particular turn it out unworthy of its abnormal € 195 for a 50 ml bottle. Great longevity and slightly more than discreet (but constantly lingering as a ghost) projection on my skin.
19th March, 2014 (last edited: 07th January, 2015)
Just tried my sample and initial thoughts are

sweet / smoky / leather and a little pungent...i like the opening :) have a local indian attar oud mulhallat blend which smells somewhat similar but Interlude seems to be more refined and richer whereas the attar smells kind of thin

is there any oud in this, seems to catch a tiny whiff of it now and then

will post more thoughts as i spend more time with it
08th March, 2014
FISS80 Show all reviews
I'm late to the party on this one but I will still share my opinion. Opens very fruity and medicinal. Medicinal as in Vicks Vapor Rub but truly intoxicating. This stage stays for about an hour. Them it transitions into a smoky sweet smell that I cannot get enough of. Easily my favorite part of the fragrance. Interlude Man then proceeds to effortlessly transition between these two stages for the duration, which is extremely long. Easily 12 hours. Very well blended. I detect the leather, Opponax and cistus mostly in this fragrance(based off of the description of the aforementioned as I have never personally smelled them. Incredible Longevity and siliage. A FB may be in the future...
03rd March, 2014
England may now be a smoke-free land, but this fragrance by Amouage is an Interlude from normality. This is not your everyday designer fragrance or one that you will find everyone wearing on the bus.
Interlude (which graced us with its presence in 2012), primarily dominates with an opening of smoke along with a cleverly designed oregano note that is most unusual in modern perfumery (that's Amouage for you all over!). It's very carefully hidden, but you can be sure it's there!
But my favourite note in this extremely long lasting (and by that I mean 12 hours at least!) is the incense. This is no ordinary incense though. This is actually 'sweet incense' or 'sweet myrrh' which is commonly referred to as Opopanax. This is quite a contrasting combination with the earlier smoke that accompanies the opening of the scent, but it nonetheless works beautifully!
I have to agree with others that the bottle of this fragrance and the box are just sheer royalty. It's a thumbs up from me.
09th January, 2014
A skanky oud and incense which is pretty good. I would buy a full bottle of this stuff if it wasn't so expensive. I get the leather and woody notes in this one. One of the best Amouage scents thus far IMO.
04th November, 2013
An Interesting Experience

I'm not much of a reviewer, but wanted to comment on this one. I wore it yesterday, and yes it might have been one spray too many, as the smokey incense generated a few comments.

But to me most of the experience was marked by a constant wafting back and forth between the sweet resiny root-beer scent of the opoponax and the oudy facet of the frankincense (like the oud element of Creed's Royal Oud, which is criticised as not being real-oud enough). Made for a fascinating experience, which not enough fragrances deliver. Don't even know if I really LIKE the root-beer aspect, but do look forward to trying it a few more times..........

18th October, 2013
Alpha scintillating leather

Amouage Interlude Man is a fragrance that I have a personal preference for because I am such an easy target for well adjusted patchouli especially when some leather is added and the essence of this fragrance formulation is the cooling but dominant patchouli leather over incense base. The fragrance never relaxes into a mellow interlude that I can find - but it keeps a smooth sharp cutting edge of scintillating spice honed incense woods and leather. The intensity is definitely on all the time - don't have to read between the lines with this one. One spritz will do, trust me. Interlude Man is a thoroughly enjoyable expressionistic fragrance. Those who are looking for warmth and comfort may not like this one, but I like the bold character of it.

Pros: distinctive, clean, penetrating, cooling, dominant
Cons: very bold with tendency to intrude on others space"

12th October, 2013
Intensity, intensity

Oregano. Check. Blast of thundering incense. Check. A small application blasting the senses of loved ones. Check.

How anyone could go through much of this, I do not know. It is intense, powerful, and I really like it a lot. I could spend a long time just sitting with this one out in the open, by the sea.

The problem is, my family hated it; I mean, not mere dislike, but hate. It might be a solitary guilty pleasure of a small sample while traveling.

07th September, 2013
Extraordinary

I am an Amouage fan and interlude is my latest acquisition and I'm delighted. It smells like nothing I've ever sprayed on me before. Women in my office came to me and started smelling my neck which was something new to me :) I am not even going to pretend I have an in-depth knowledge about parfumes, I either love something, I'm indifferent or hate it. It certainly isn't a fragrance for everyone, but it's worth a try.

Pros: Nothing like it
Cons: Price, maybe"

16th August, 2013
Love the stuff!

This fragrance takes at least an hour to find its feet, and to my nose it's most comfortable after the fourth hour has passed.

Once the slightly strident top-notes have burned off, it's the closest thing to the smoke of burning frankincense that I have ever encountered.

Pros: Nobody else will be wearing it. A truly nuclear 24-hour Frankincense bomb.
Cons: Overdose on this stuff, and you'll get reported to the OPCW.

22nd June, 2013
A strong and dark perfume for men who like fragrances that stand out. Definitely can pick out the Oregano note.
The first couple wearings of this didn't impress me much as it smelled of an incense/leather bomb. After trying it again, I began to appreciate it more and pick more notes. Not a crowd pleaser so be careful on the trigger.

Pros: longevity, rich, quality
Cons: top notes may be too strong in spice/incense for some
17th May, 2013 (last edited: 03rd February, 2014)
This is the first time I have ever posted anything on basenotes, and it has taken the inspirtation of interlude man for me to do so. I tested this today and i am instantly hooked on this...hard to see how any other fragrance could ever better this. Best sillage/longevity ever!! Wow
27th April, 2013
Amazingly opulent and warm oriental from Amouage. Like being immersed in a fluffy cloud of spiced leather, amber and soft wood. Powerful but soft. Rich. Regal. Like a lot of things from Amouage, Interlude can be quite mesmerizing. If I were more open to this style of oriental maybe I wouldn't feel so much that it's soft cloudlike fluffiness teases more than it satisfies. If I were myself more calm and meditative maybe I wouldn't always be looking for an edge. Definitely fit for the temple. Or baby powder for the king. A must try.
16th February, 2013 (last edited: 08th April, 2013)
drseid Show all reviews
Interlude Man opens extremely briefly with just the faintest dash of fresh bergamot before transitioning to its primary heart accord of very smoky burning incense and what is most likely synthetic rubbery Oud. Underneath the two co-stars that dominate most of the scent's development are supporting notes of mild basil, relatively sweet opoponax and musky rock-rose. During the late dry-down the smokiness of the incense slowly dissipates but the rubbery Oud, opoponax and rock-rose remain through the end, now joining just detectable sandalwood to sweeten the scent further as it fades out. Projection is above average and longevity is exceptional at well over 12 hours on skin.

Interlude Man could have been great, but it just isn't. It's primary problem is the synthetic smelling Oud that just is too strong, and when coupled with the equally ridiculously potent smoky incense and underlying sweetness from the supporting cast it becomes a bit too much. That is not to imply Interlude Man smells bad; it doesn't. It just never lives up to its potential and just smelling "good" is inexcusable at the prices Amouage is charging. While the scent may be a bit disappointing (somewhat reminding me of Arso which I disliked but this smells a lot better) the performance is outstanding with the scent lasting for what seems like forever. I don't know whether that is a good thing as it is just barely pleasant smelling, but at least it shows that Amouage did not water down Interlude Man for sure. Performance aside, the relatively disappointing Interlude Man gets a "good" rating of 3 out of 5 for the scent and a very tepid thumbs up. I recommend passing this one over for purchase as it is *way* overpriced.
29th January, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
Now this is a somewhat dull opening of a weak bergamot freshness with a bit of herb that develops into a wonderfully deep and pure blend of spice, oud and opoponax - the latter being very intense - like a supercharged Gucci Envy - and this mix become the dominating note of this fragrance. It has - so a Japanese told me - the characteristic smell of the incense used in some Japanese temples when ceremonies to honor the deceased are performed and is of a beautiful richness. Hints of wood stay in the background. This incense-based scent's natural ingredients are of the highest quality and the whole is of amazing depth, albeit not changing very much for hours. Great silage and projection with a longevity of about eight hours on me. A great scent.
28th December, 2012
I give this a thumbs up for quality but a neutral for personal preference.
Interlude actually ticks all the boxes for quality, longevity and projection. Unfortunately 2 things comes to mind for me
1) it's an oriental, but isn't arabesque like Jubilation or Epic, it feels a little bit like a western take of an oriental
2) the sweetness of the fragrance overlaps with other vanillic fragrances I already have. If I own "x"now I may buy Interlude, but only when I finish x. Then again, price may be a mitigating factor.

In all honesty though this fragrance as a bit of everything, the greeness of Memoir, the incense, the myrrh which makes it unique, the vanillic sweetness, a hint of turkish delight accord and some leather and oud in the end. It fills a gap between Jubilation because its less opulent, a gap between Epic because it is less animalic despite having a similar base, fills the gap between Memoir because of the greeness in the opening.
Some will like this, others may find it lacking a bit of edge from an Amouage.
09th December, 2012 (last edited: 19th December, 2012)