Reviews

Reviews of Amyris Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Amyris is probably the most mainstream smelling of any MFK fragrance I've tried, though that's not really a knock against it. It just smells familiar, like you wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself sniffing it on a tester strip somewhere in the mall. It lends itself to the masculine woody/tonka fragrances that have been all over the place for the last several years, but it sets itself apart because it's so much better than most of them. When I apply it, I get a good dose of...amyris (surprise!) and tonka, but I'm also able to pick up on coffee, some chocolate, and iris. What results is a very attractive and well-polished, sweet, masculine fragrance that seems like it would be easy to wear just about anywhere. It's really a very appealing smell, and constructed with a smooth touch. I think it would be great to wear to the office, and even better on a date or for a night out. Whether it's worth the price or not depends on what you're looking for. While you won't be breaking any ground with Amyris, you'll still smell very nice. It's also important to note that after you get over the initial "familiarity" of Amyris, it really takes on its own character and begins to smell like itself. Projection and longevity are good. If you enjoy Amyris but would prefer a cheaper alternative, consider sampling Ambre by Baldessarini, Mankind by Kenneth Cole, or Givenchy Play Intense. They achieve a similar effect at a fraction of the price.

Good stuff.
11th October, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

The idea of amyris (West Indian sandalwood, elemi) and iris is an interesting one, but the execution here is simply too unrelievedly sweet and foody for me to enjoy. Bright citrus top notes usher in the central elemi and iris accord, which is heavily sweetened with cocoa, coconut, and coffee. The use of balsamic wood and coffee brings to mind Maître Parfumeur et Gantier’s masterful Santal Noble, but that scent is both drier and far less “edible” smelling than Amyris Homme. Powdery sweetness persists through the drydown, which leans heavily on tonka and soft, buttery iris root. Of the listed oudh I sense very little, which is a shame, since its medicinal edge would go far to counterbalance the composition’s borderline cloying sweetness. Gourmand lovers may enjoy this scent more than I do, but I find it one of the less attractive offerings in Francis Kurkdjian’s generally outstanding line.
13th July, 2014
Crisp, chirpy, and utterly conventional. The overriding impression I take away from Amyris Homme is of a citrus-rosemary accord common to legions of ‘masculines’ done in an ‘aqua’ manner, dipped in tonka sweetness and sitting on that horribly piercing wood base that is the bane of several designer offerings – here given the glib appellation Modern Woods (put that in your pipe and smoke it!).
There was a brief redeeming moment when a sandpapery coffee spooned lovingly with the woods but it soon got drowned. I haven’t a clue what amyris blossoms smell like – but on this evidence I’m not any wiser.
I’m afraid I have to join the chorus that’s singing this is generic designer ware not worthy of MFK.
14th May, 2014
It started with a 1ml sample that I quickly used up inside of a week. As I sadly used up the last drop of the sample, I knew it was bottle time. I understand the reviews that criticize the price considering its underwhelming subtlety. You would think that something so palatable would be inexpensive. However, Amyris Homme is a simple focused luxury. It never turns against me. It never goes wrong. I've never needed to fight it or wait for it to dry down or burn off or dissipate. It's comforting, invigorating, and currently my go-to scent. There's nothing crazy, stunning, or glamorous here. It's all about playing it cool, warm, focused, and confident. In a world of blaring, competitive, clamor, Amyris Homme is just the opposite. I'm glad it's expensive and not popular. I just hope they don't vault it before I can justify another bottle purchase. And lastly, I haven't found something cheaper that has such charm.
19th April, 2014
mspa Show all reviews
after two full wears i got to again admire Kurkdjians' genius. full bottle worthy, great multifaceted scent.
06th March, 2014 (last edited: 10th March, 2014)
A nice smelling fragrance with pretty generic smell (kind of synthetic!) and average quality which you can find it in designer brands 3-4 times cheaper!
The opening is a sweet, semi fresh citrusy scent with good support of floral notes.
The sweetness is from tonka bean that beside the vanilla like sweetness, give the scent slightly bitter aroma.
The citrusy note in not up in front. actually it's side by side the tonka bean at the start and fades away after around 15-30 minutes.
The dry down is a sweet floral scent with some woods in the background.
The scent is not masculine that much, but it's neither feminine.
This can be easily a unisex fragrance.
Projection is average and longevity is around 5-6 hours which is again average.
You can do much much better with your money in this price range.
16th February, 2014
Smells exactly like a cheap shampoo I used to use at my parents' house (it was called Vidal, black bottle, if you're interested in smelling the same way at approx. 1% of the price of this scent!). Unworthy any further review, and obviously not its price.

24th January, 2014 (last edited: 27th April, 2014)
What entices me about Amyris Homme is the layering of Oud in between the light, fruity, iris aquatic notes. The oud note is not one dimensional but does a dynamic dance of constantly creeping up and backing away... The fruity, aquatic notes alone are well blended but it is this interplay with the oud that makes this a Kurdijian masterpiece IMHO (contrary to the opinion of the many learned noses on BN).
03rd November, 2013 (last edited: 21st June, 2014)
pink & blue

The gender pairing in perfumery always bothers me.

(product) pour homme

(product) pour femme

My general complaints revolve around mistaking the arbitrary for the essential. Dresses/trousers. Pink/blue. Princess ballerina/andro-jock. It’s all bad fiction to me. Must an idea be tailored in different ways for men and women to understand it? Please don’t feel the need to do it on my account.

Or is it just marketing?

Take a perfume brief. Make two versions of it. Sell one to men and one to women. Is it just a jaded practicality that’s intrinsic to marketing?

Amyris Homme plays with the same set of ideas as Amyris Femme and can be considered its counterpart. They both juggle fruity and woody tones and they both play delicately with convention. Apparently, both the gyno and andro versions are based on torchwood or amyris, some botanical thingamabob that very few people would know of. I suppose it’s the açai berry of perfumey.

Homme is interesting for the way it manages to be sweet and sour at the same time. It feels sugared, not so much a flavor as a degree of sweetness. The sweetness seems like an attempt to compensate for an inherent tartness in the same way that sweet-tea in the American South is so heavily sugared that the tannin of the tea is undetectable.

Like its girly counterpart, the boy Amyris uses fruity, watery, woody scents that are almost melon-like and yet creamy in tone. They come within a hair’s width of a conventional sensibility. It is this nearness to normalcy that makes the two so fascinating. Are they subversive? Are they conventional, giving you what you recognize, but one centimeter beyond what you’ve already experienced? I can’t quite tell.

from scent hurdle.com

27th August, 2013
Light, pleasant and interesting

This is a great fragrance. Not over powering - subtle, smooth and convincing. The tonka bean empowers the other notes to make for a pleasant moment you won't want to fade. Like any fragrance, it will wear differently on different people; it's been a great scent for me.

23rd August, 2013
Should be called "Iris Sport"

The tonka/coconut/chocolate make a nice base, but in order to make the woods distinctive they're a bit too dry, which makes the already powdery iris _extremely_ powdery and "puckery" on my skin. In a way, it's almost too simple for my tastes, it isn't very complex or challenging, and subsequently doesn't seem very rewarding... Maybe if there were more soothing rosemary, or more robust tonka, or more captivating mandarin -- but, as it is, it just sort of gives me a headache after awhile... Ultimately, I'm just not a fan...

Pros: Girls Love It!!!
Cons: I don't like girls"

19th July, 2013
Don't agree with most of these reviews. I don't find it generic smelling at all. As a matter of fact wearing it, I get ppl coming up to me, men and women, asking me what I'm wearing. Personally I like it as well its light, not too heavy, and its very sophisticated. My only gripe is that I don't really get the mandarin, if it wasn't a listed note, I wouldn't care but because I researched this frag for three months prior to buying, I expected it. I love it and it will be in my summer rotation
30th April, 2013
I really wanted to like this more, because when I sprayed it in Bergdorf Goodman it was after a lot of heavy perfumes and I was entranced by how light and sunny Amyris Homme was in comparison.

Trying it today, I have to say that I feel this citrus/chocolate/woody combination is a tune I've heard before...most notably in L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme...but much lighter and with the addition of an aquatic note that, while not unpleasant (and even an exciting idea!), is a little too generic and overshadows the potentially delicious mandarin/cocoa interplay.

The iris in the heart and drydown is nice and dressy-powdery, but also sadly generic, and also overpowered by the synthetic edge that lasts and lasts.

Not my thing, but not a bad scent in general.
10th April, 2013
A exotic fruity floral iris accord that smells like a exotic cocktail you would drink on holiday. It is pretty generic smelling to my nose and not something I would spend money on.
05th April, 2013
Not terribly impressed with this one, and a surprise from Francis Kurkdjian who created one of my favorites, APOM pour homme, and the other great fragrances of this house.

Best part is the opening with a little iris and fruit (reminds me a little of Creed SMW), unfortunately soon after I get generic aquatic sport frag all the way though, nothing repulsive, but again nothing to attract me either. Longevity is good, which I guess is a bonus if you like it too start with.

Pass... and try APOM or Lumiere Noir - they're in a different league...
19th February, 2013
Doesn't smell too bad. Kind of a big pleasant herbed chocolate mandarin thing.
Can't say I like it very much. It's the chocolate. Like somebody laced Clinique Happy with Ghirardelli.
I was surprised Amyris has received such lackluster reviews here. I thought
it would be better liked. Guess I ride with the sheriff's posse on this one.
31st January, 2013
Noodlz Show all reviews
Amazing, fresh, sexy scent! Unlike other fresh scents this one actually doesn't fade away quickly. The smell is amazing but you need to be careful with the sprays. just one or 2 sprays will do the trick with this one.
30th January, 2013
It's so generic smelling for a $2.5/ml cologne! It's like any number of men's fragrances you'd find at Sephora with a butt load of Iso E in it. It reminds me of a slightly better done D&G Light Blue: a Iso E loaded aquatic. It's not bad, per se, but it's too expensive for smelling so generic.
18th January, 2013
Kaern Show all reviews
I never thought I would use the dreaded 'generic' term to describe one of this range from MFK. Balsam? Oud? -- come off it -- more like ISO E. Probably deserves a 'neutral' for blending but I was so looking forward to this, etc.
21st November, 2012
Casting aside my somewhat raised expectations at the door, I finally got to test AMYRIS HOMME on skin today only to discover what has got to be one of the most disappointing niche releases of the year. A synthetic WOODY AQUATIC???

Go ahead, break it down as technically as you can manage and it still doesn't change the fact that all we have here is a pricier rehash of a designer staple from the last decade. Bright calone-y tops, scratchy woods in the base. Think Paris Hilton for Men. Azzaro Bright Visit. etc. While I applaud Kurkdjian's master class in the use of unfamiliar combo of novel ingredients to create familiar structures, I certainly won't be getting a decant of this, much less a bottle.

Notes:
rosemary, mandarin, amyris, Florentine iris, tonka bean absolute, modern woods
20th November, 2012
Well let me be the first thumbs up. This fragrance smells amazing! I admit, it has a generic vibe, but so what! Just because something is not totally unique does not mean it's not worth having. On the other hand, every "unique" fragrance is not always good. I've learned that the hard way by spending thousands on niche fragrances I don't wear. I'm not saying this is as good as Vintage Tabarome or PPH! Not at all. What I am saying is that this is a sexy, fresh scent made with the highest quality of ingredients!! Many compliments from the ladies.
16th November, 2012
drseid Show all reviews
Amyris Homme opens with a very fresh light herbal rosemary note coupling with a bright bergamot-like orange citrus giving the scent an overall almost herbal aquatic vibe. The herbal citrus open remains into the early heart notes, before a synthetic dry woody accord from the base starts to peep through and then dominate the scent through the mid-heart notes through the dry-down as the top notes finally disappear, joined by a supporting slightly powdery iris. Projection is below average and longevity is excellent.

Amyris Homme starts out very nice, and its fresh rosemary and citrus opening had me liking the scent from the start... Unfortunately its dreaded synthetic dry-woody accord (almost certainly derived by the use of norlimbanol) dominates the mid-heart through the dry-down, completely ruining the experience, making the scent smell very generic like so many others. Amyris Homme is not a bad composition, but it does not distinguish itself and at its relatively high price per ml that just is not good enough (come to think of it, it is not good enough regardless). Amyris Homme earns a disappointing above average 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.
27th October, 2012
It has a nice smell, everyone would probably like this (not love because it reminds some generic fresh spicy *cough ysl l'homme* cough fragrances) but what is very surprising for me is, its extreme weakness. A generous application of 10-12 sprays is almost enough to feel it. Impossible to overspray.

It would never justify a full bottle for me and I wonder what was in creator's mind releasing this fragrance.
08th October, 2012
This is a very well blended scent and quite natural at that too.
It does smell common place though, the I have smelt this before sort of vibe.
It has the booziness of YSL L'homme, the lemony citrus notes of Dior Homme Sport, and the herbal rosemary notes are similar to the Le Matin of his also.

I would have thought the the fragrance would be more gourmady, but this is not really the case. Its more of a fresh citrus floral with some woods at the background.

Nicely blended, though I won't buy this because it feels like I smelt this before somewhere else.
28th September, 2012 (last edited: 06th April, 2014)