Reviews of Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Ghost_Goat's avatar

Dreadful, headache-inducing dreck. You'd think they'd be able to nail the mainstream fragrance considering their altogether more-positive-than-not and occasionally astonishing private label output. In fact, not only does it fail as a mainstream fragrance, it makes me want to reevaluate the Tom Ford line's other work. Surely a fragrance in this position was created to do the opposite.

22 April, 2014

Highpriestofdarkness's avatar

I hear a lot of people put this tom ford frag down, however I have to disagree. To me this smells of expensive nights out on the town, if you want something that will go well with a suit and a fancy dinner this is what I would choose. Not really a day or summer fragrance but for expensive nights out can't go wrong...unless you spray too much as it can get quite sickly. Very sweet and creamy. The price tag is not too bad for what this is too, great silage and longevity and rich smelling experience.

27 March, 2014

hedonist222's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Smells very similar to habit rouge.

22 March, 2014

I think it’s a safe guess that this is not a selection from Tom Ford’s Private Collection – TF Noir is a competent fragrance but it is quite ordinary and uninspired. Except for the prominent civet, it is early-‘90s fragrance dressed up through the use of higher quality (more natural smelling) materials. The notes themselves are very good; for example, the rose note is one of the better I have experienced in designer level men’s fragrances. The civet note is a very nice blast from the past, but it seems to be rather fly-by. The combinations of iris, opoponax, amber, and vanilla make for a nice powdery effect – very nice if you are into powder. The dominant notes have good projection and longevity.

I think that Tom Ford Noir is a good fragrance: it has some excellent characteristics… particularly in reference to its decent-quality materials and its better than average performance. But I’m not voting thumb’s up because I find it lacking in direction and inspiration.

11th March, 2014

juggrenaut's avatar

This smells identical to "PS" by Paul Sebastian on my skin. The big difference is that this frag costs A LOT more for a much smaller volume. Although it is very nice, and lasts long, it is not worth the price when compared to the much cheaper alternative.

10th March, 2014

wormstir's avatar

Decent, if unexciting fragrance, most people would like this - smooth bodied creamy vanilla and spicy peppery scent with a very pleasant citrus and patchouli note on top to rough it up a bit. Quite versatile, can be used day or night although I think it probably leans a bit more towards night time. Lasts most of the day on my skin and gets a lot of compliments - I'm just not sure its exciting enough for me.

13 February, 2014

cerjr's avatar

Yeah, I like this one! It starts with a burst of citrus, but not the standard you're used to smelling. There is a vintage (yet very modern) vibe in there that really comes to the fore in the dry down. Once it settles in you have a great leathery, vetivery, modern-take-on-a-vintage masculine fragrance that isn't quick to fade into the background like a lot of others.

I see what Tom Ford was going for here, and I'm a fan.

25 December, 2013

Mikeymoos's avatar

I can't get enough of this, it's fantastic!

I'm not sure whether I'm missing something,but I think this is amazing! As soon as I sprayed this I bought it on the spot. The opening is fantastic and it just gets better..I do love patchouli which attracted me but wow! Sorry I can't as yet give you all the individual notes and details but I've had so many compliments whilst wearing it, from men and women... Does remind me of another of my favourites, Prada Amber Intense, I'm just happy to have two frags that tick all of my boxes!

Pros: Everything
    Cons: Nothing "

27 October, 2013

visage's avatar

Blah

I own a couple of TF frags and this one is really a let down considering the price.

29 August, 2013

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Potent Unisex Fragrance

Tom Ford Noir is an impressive little unisex number for it's development and its tenacity .

It starts leaning towards the masculine with a sharp citrus note, goes through an somewhat powdery Shalimar/ Habit Rouge phase in the middle and ends with amber ,vanilla and a tiny bit of civet which makes its dry down nearly a dupe for Musc Ravageur.

Though marketed to men ,i could see this as being a polarising scent because the dry down is quite distinctive . You will love it or hate it. I think more women than men will probably like Noir. There is nothing that shouts' I am totally male!!!!! ' about Noir by Tom Ford. Instead it says " I am very urban but I am trying to do sophisticated metrosexual or unisexual ."

If you like Obsession by Calvin Klein or MR ,you will like Noir.

Pros: Long lasting
    Cons: Not very Original"

12 August, 2013

IAmKing's avatar

Another Tom Ford Dudd

I dont know what it is about TOM FORD, that he has to make his TOM FORD line and the Private Collection line so different in terms of worth purchasing. I have tried all of the TOM FORD line fragrances that none of them wow me as much. I have tried and sampled all of the Private Collection and there are alot of them I would lean towards purchasing, i.e Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, and Arabian Wood.

Tom Ford Noir is just another TOM FORD dudd. I donot know what too make of this. Now one thing I do like about this fragrance is its Animalistic quality. Other than that, I just wasted $90+ on a fragrance, Im going to have to use as a Bug Spray.

11th August, 2013

lairdangus's avatar

Promising opening yields to baby powder drydown

Another tease of a fragrance by Tom Ford! I sampled this one today after the hugely disappointing White Patchouli. The opening notes were complex, earthy, sophisticated. The rose in particular smelled natural, so unlike the synthetic monstrosities from Montale (see Black Aoud).

If only it had remained that way. Alas, this bold and promising opening quickly dried down to pure baby powder. A completely generic, linear, uninteresting baby powder.

What a disappointment.

Pros: beautiful, complex rose-imbued opening
    Cons: pure baby powder for the final 3 hours"

10th July, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

A disappointment

Someone else mentioned that it smells like "baby wipes" I have to laugh b/c it does smell like spicy/slightly sweet/cheap musk and...baby wipes. There are fragrances that may smell good on their own...BUT if it reminds you of something mundane like baby wipes, there is no use trying to like it!

02 June, 2013

Malix's avatar

Very dissappointing.... I took it in SkySales while travelling and was unable to test. Spend a lot and gain no real value.

12 March, 2013

jcw122's avatar

This literally smells like baby wipes...and if you don't know what that smells like, it's basically a mix of baby powder and ointment.

07 March, 2013

rogalal's avatar

An interesting mix of smells. I personally think the notes list is a bit useless at describing what this actually smells like. On me, it's based on that immortelle note made famous by Dior's Eau Noire, with its weird mix of booze, curry, and maple syrup. To that, add some smoky rubber and pie spices from Fahrenheit, and top it off with some vaguely powdery flowers. Given time, the rubbery notes fade and some dark greens come in, but it does feel fairly linear.

I can see why some people just don't like this - it's miles away from the typical aquatic dreck, and it's frankly a bit weird. In true Tom Ford fashion, it manages to take some smells that really shouldn't work together and somehow makes them pleasant, though it hasn't won me over enough to want a full bottle.

05 March, 2013

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Guerlain's Habit Rouge in a modern habit. The typical floral-dirty note of Habit Rouge is toned down, but the powdery remains. The citrus opening is also toned down, instead replaced by a darker, medicinal-herbal opening.

20th February, 2013

Dellinger_DdC's avatar

Chile Chile

Noir is not hard to describe, as soon as you take a whiff you will be remained of several fragrances that walk the same alley, the powdery, mysterious, dark evening/date scent.

As soon as you spray it you'll be able to pick up every note from top to base, just as if a train crashed and all the notes ended up splattered in the same mirror, so yes, this feels like an accident rather than a well thought of scent, if you're expecting a well done pyramid with an impressive development you are in for disappointment, but, if you are looking for a single stage scent, something that doesn't turn around from beautiful opening to disgusting base, basically a what you see is what you get then Noir delivers and it delivers very good. Having all the notes in one stage brings depth to the fragrance instead of having very thin layers of notes that fade away in no time. There is a little bit of every note in Noir, there is civet, but no Leather Oud civet, there is Iris, but no Dior Homme iris, there is vanilla but no Spiritueuse vanilla and so on. Noir is safe, a good quality safe fragrance and there is nothing wrong with that, this can easily be a signature scent and it's very easy to enjoy.

To me this seats in between TF for Men and Grey Vetiver and i'm ok with that, let's face it... with the things that are being released these days, it could've been much worse.

15 February, 2013

drseid's avatar

Noir goes on with a sweet slightly herb-laced citrus and violet floral open before transitioning to its heart accord. During the heart phase of the scent the early citrus from the top notes all but disappears while the violet remains in the starring role, now turning very powdery as iris joins it as co-star while adding a soft synthetic smelling rose note to support the powdery starring floral duo. As the linear progression moves to the dry-down, the powdery violet and iris tandem remains as the rose recedes, now with relatively sweet vanilla and amber smoothing things out a bit from the base. Projection and longevity are both good to very good.

Noir is really a pretty straightforward linear scent despite its official laundry list of ingredients. I remember trying it on paper first at the store and being mildly impressed with what I sniffed. Unfortunately I only got the top notes from my quick paper test that while unoriginal, are indeed pleasant smelling. When I later sprayed a sample on skin for a more complete analysis those top notes disappeared relatively quickly and then disappointment set in as the scent profile turned into a giant bottle of baby powder/baby oil. That pretty much sums things up, as once you get to the powdery heart Noir does not change much from there, only turning a bit sweet later-on. Quite frankly, if this sounds like something you want to smell like I recommend just buying some inexpensive Johnson's Baby Oil or Powder to rub all over your body and save yourself over $100 and a bunch of buyer's remorse from this 2 to 2.5 star out of 5 generic disappointment from Tom Ford.

06 January, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Caraway, gentle pepper with a touch of bergamot and a flowery note stRt it off, to be followed NY opoponax, amber and a touch if civet in the drydown. Is never develops great projection on my skin, and after the first couple of hours remains close to my skin. Someone unexciting, but it lasts up to five hours overall.

07 December, 2012

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I don't see why people need to compare this to the TF private blend line. It's much cheaper and of course that shows but in this day and age were it's all about fresh, sweet and wood this stands out. Yes it is on the expensive side for a designer (I got a fair price for it at duty free). Perfect for the cold weather we've been having lately.

Just test it out for yourself but I think if you enter with an open mind you'll find that it smells pretty good! ;)

18 November, 2012

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

A very fancy smelling baby powder...................

13 November, 2012

Primrose's avatar

I so wanted to love this new scent but was disappointed.

Nice? Yes. But it did not grab me like his Tobacco Vanille or Tuscan Leather, or even Neroli Portofino. I was not grabbed at the top notes and lost interest. I would stick to my Black Orchid, which interested me in the top notes and let me explore all the way down to the base.

In all, a rather average offering despite the enchanting name. The word "noir" seems all the rage now.

09 November, 2012

Aparishun's avatar

I love this. On my skin, on first application I get this deep, dark red rose, and cocoa vibe. Once it dries down the chocolate comes out more, and smooths everything out. I love it. Very sensuous.

08 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Too feminine for me. This is Noir De Noir on crack. Tom Ford should have just left the private blend creation alone. Returned this one. No originality at all.

06 November, 2012

Joshaugustt's avatar

TOM FORD NOIR IS WARM AND WONDEREFUL. IT'S GOT ALL THE MAGIC YOU'D WANT IN A NEW AND SPECIAL FRAGRANCE. IMO IT'S BY FAR THE BEST TOM FORD FRAGRANCE.

26 October, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Testing Tom Ford Noir in the Doha's International Airport i found out a generic dark-violety, dusty/peppery cloud characterized by a gloomy/opaque ambery patchouli and a laundry violet/iris/geranium becoming powdery going on with the development. The juice owns a musky/vanillic/green soul and a sort of almost rubbery vibe with a touch of suede . Assertive. The violet is notable to me as well as the initial laundriness becoming dark powder. A really misty and enigmatic fragrance, a bit generic in the olfactory woody/violety/resinous approach but interesting for the ghosts of the darkness. I've heard some comparisons with Habit Rouge and i say, please, do not curse, the HR's natural baroque complexity is light years far from here while i would say that this scent reminds indeed far more Prada Amber Homme Intense.
    P.S:
    Testing it again later effectively i smell some conjurations about Habit Rouge (amber, bergamot, patchouli, rose/geranium, woody and resinous notes, spices etc). I would talk about a slightly darker but far less sumptuous and complex kind of Habit Rouge with a sort of almost rubbery background, which presses the accelerator over a dark and animalic ambery side.

21st October, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2012)

colormechris's avatar

The first Tom Ford offering I've sampled. It was spicy and kind of "noiry" and the ingredients were obviously top notch...
    But I just wasn't really moved in any way. I'm sure some of Ford's prior offerings are fantastic, but this seems so been there, smelled that. I think Ford is all ready going overboard as far as output. Overextending himself as it were. I think quality and especially originality start to drop off when this happens. And his company isn't even ten years old yet, is it?
    Chillax Tom. You're fabulous all ready. We know.

19 October, 2012

ferdinand_the_imposter's avatar

Drakkar Noir for those with more money than sense.

1 All taste is personal.
    2. Smell is probably the most subjective of all five senses.
    3. Try before you buy. (On paper first, then skin.)

10th October, 2012

Bigtruck260's avatar

I will admit that the first sniff of Noir caused me to recoil in disgust. My reaction made the counter lady at Neiman Marcus very upset. It could have been her fault for telling me about how Tom Ford had outdone himself, and it should have been part of the exclusive Private Blend line...

Sales 101 - Know your product and it's intended target and MANAGE EXPECTATIONS.

After a business lunch (during which I sniffed my hand 100 times and garnered more strange looks) I walked back over to the counter and spritzed some more onto my hand. As much as I disliked the first go-round, something in it appealed to me. It stunk, but in a way that I actually enjoyed.

I got home 2 hours later, and the stink had evolved into a vanilla and vetiver combo that I thought was delicious - but there was still that lingering tidbit I was uncertain of that made me want to wash it off. That little tidbit happens to be civet.

I am not sure I own anything with civet in it - and to be perfectly honest, it still has not grown on me. Nevertheless, I went back to Neiman and bought a big old bottle of the stuff. As much as I did not like the musky civet note...part of me ONLY wanted to smell the civet note. It's an odd little stink, but so is gasoline and I dont dislike that one either.

I have been wearing it occasionally and it's hit and miss with the compliments. I can tell when it's not liked by seeing the same recoil that I showed that counter lady. I can see myself wearing this to a formal event. That's about it. So for the price, it is not the greatest value - but it is well made...just a bit difficult to understand.

08 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 October, 2012)