Positive Reviews of Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Find out more about Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Highpriestofdarkness's avatar

I hear a lot of people put this tom ford frag down, however I have to disagree. To me this smells of expensive nights out on the town, if you want something that will go well with a suit and a fancy dinner this is what I would choose. Not really a day or summer fragrance but for expensive nights out can't go wrong...unless you spray too much as it can get quite sickly. Very sweet and creamy. The price tag is not too bad for what this is too, great silage and longevity and rich smelling experience.

27 March, 2014

wormstir's avatar

Decent, if unexciting fragrance, most people would like this - smooth bodied creamy vanilla and spicy peppery scent with a very pleasant citrus and patchouli note on top to rough it up a bit. Quite versatile, can be used day or night although I think it probably leans a bit more towards night time. Lasts most of the day on my skin and gets a lot of compliments - I'm just not sure its exciting enough for me.

13 February, 2014

cerjr's avatar

Yeah, I like this one! It starts with a burst of citrus, but not the standard you're used to smelling. There is a vintage (yet very modern) vibe in there that really comes to the fore in the dry down. Once it settles in you have a great leathery, vetivery, modern-take-on-a-vintage masculine fragrance that isn't quick to fade into the background like a lot of others.

I see what Tom Ford was going for here, and I'm a fan.

25 December, 2013

Mikeymoos's avatar

I can't get enough of this, it's fantastic!

I'm not sure whether I'm missing something,but I think this is amazing! As soon as I sprayed this I bought it on the spot. The opening is fantastic and it just gets better..I do love patchouli which attracted me but wow! Sorry I can't as yet give you all the individual notes and details but I've had so many compliments whilst wearing it, from men and women... Does remind me of another of my favourites, Prada Amber Intense, I'm just happy to have two frags that tick all of my boxes!

Pros: Everything
    Cons: Nothing "

27 October, 2013

rogalal's avatar

An interesting mix of smells. I personally think the notes list is a bit useless at describing what this actually smells like. On me, it's based on that immortelle note made famous by Dior's Eau Noire, with its weird mix of booze, curry, and maple syrup. To that, add some smoky rubber and pie spices from Fahrenheit, and top it off with some vaguely powdery flowers. Given time, the rubbery notes fade and some dark greens come in, but it does feel fairly linear.

I can see why some people just don't like this - it's miles away from the typical aquatic dreck, and it's frankly a bit weird. In true Tom Ford fashion, it manages to take some smells that really shouldn't work together and somehow makes them pleasant, though it hasn't won me over enough to want a full bottle.

05 March, 2013

Dellinger_DdC's avatar

Chile Chile

Noir is not hard to describe, as soon as you take a whiff you will be remained of several fragrances that walk the same alley, the powdery, mysterious, dark evening/date scent.

As soon as you spray it you'll be able to pick up every note from top to base, just as if a train crashed and all the notes ended up splattered in the same mirror, so yes, this feels like an accident rather than a well thought of scent, if you're expecting a well done pyramid with an impressive development you are in for disappointment, but, if you are looking for a single stage scent, something that doesn't turn around from beautiful opening to disgusting base, basically a what you see is what you get then Noir delivers and it delivers very good. Having all the notes in one stage brings depth to the fragrance instead of having very thin layers of notes that fade away in no time. There is a little bit of every note in Noir, there is civet, but no Leather Oud civet, there is Iris, but no Dior Homme iris, there is vanilla but no Spiritueuse vanilla and so on. Noir is safe, a good quality safe fragrance and there is nothing wrong with that, this can easily be a signature scent and it's very easy to enjoy.

To me this seats in between TF for Men and Grey Vetiver and i'm ok with that, let's face it... with the things that are being released these days, it could've been much worse.

15 February, 2013

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I don't see why people need to compare this to the TF private blend line. It's much cheaper and of course that shows but in this day and age were it's all about fresh, sweet and wood this stands out. Yes it is on the expensive side for a designer (I got a fair price for it at duty free). Perfect for the cold weather we've been having lately.

Just test it out for yourself but I think if you enter with an open mind you'll find that it smells pretty good! ;)

18 November, 2012

Aparishun's avatar

I love this. On my skin, on first application I get this deep, dark red rose, and cocoa vibe. Once it dries down the chocolate comes out more, and smooths everything out. I love it. Very sensuous.

08 November, 2012

Joshaugustt's avatar

TOM FORD NOIR IS WARM AND WONDEREFUL. IT'S GOT ALL THE MAGIC YOU'D WANT IN A NEW AND SPECIAL FRAGRANCE. IMO IT'S BY FAR THE BEST TOM FORD FRAGRANCE.

26 October, 2012

Bigtruck260's avatar

I will admit that the first sniff of Noir caused me to recoil in disgust. My reaction made the counter lady at Neiman Marcus very upset. It could have been her fault for telling me about how Tom Ford had outdone himself, and it should have been part of the exclusive Private Blend line...

Sales 101 - Know your product and it's intended target and MANAGE EXPECTATIONS.

After a business lunch (during which I sniffed my hand 100 times and garnered more strange looks) I walked back over to the counter and spritzed some more onto my hand. As much as I disliked the first go-round, something in it appealed to me. It stunk, but in a way that I actually enjoyed.

I got home 2 hours later, and the stink had evolved into a vanilla and vetiver combo that I thought was delicious - but there was still that lingering tidbit I was uncertain of that made me want to wash it off. That little tidbit happens to be civet.

I am not sure I own anything with civet in it - and to be perfectly honest, it still has not grown on me. Nevertheless, I went back to Neiman and bought a big old bottle of the stuff. As much as I did not like the musky civet note...part of me ONLY wanted to smell the civet note. It's an odd little stink, but so is gasoline and I dont dislike that one either.

I have been wearing it occasionally and it's hit and miss with the compliments. I can tell when it's not liked by seeing the same recoil that I showed that counter lady. I can see myself wearing this to a formal event. That's about it. So for the price, it is not the greatest value - but it is well made...just a bit difficult to understand.

08 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 October, 2012)

surge's avatar

Awesome stuff! At first sniff it reminded me of Extreme, but a bit more well founded and floral with less incense.

But then about 30 minutes later it turned into something completely different -- very fresh and spicy, but still floral and musky.

I think this is probably more versatile than the original Tom Ford for men or Extreme; I could see myself wearing this to the office or for a night out -- or even making it a signature scent.

Projection is average...not good but not bad. Longevity is great...8+ hours.

Price...well, we all know TF commands a premium, but thankfully it's not that bad compared to the private blend line. Still -- for a non niche, it's priced rather high.

Don't let the first blast fool you -- it will change!

EDIT:

Over the past few weeks this has slowy become my new signature...what can I say, I love it.
    Yes; it's feminine -- yes, it's powdery. Is it a masterpiece? No. Would I buy a bottle of cat urine if it said tom ford on the side? Probably...but that doesn't change the fact that Noir is def. awesome :)

27 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2012)