Neutral Reviews of The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

I never thought I'd make this comparison, but this is the most Chanel-like of all the ELDOs. It opens with an oily green note, mixed with iris and a prominent rose, not unlike Chanel No. 18. Instead of drying down to 18's wonderful ambrette-musk accord, Afternoon of a Faun goes for immortelle. It makes sense, given ELDOs love of immortelle, but it's not as exciting as its use in scents like Eau Noire or Sables.

Very "proper", perfume-y, and lovely, but not what I want in an EDLO fragrance, when other companies (again, like Chanel) are doing it better.
29th May, 2015
I'm a huge fan of Etat Libre D'Orange but, this thime, they really have to be kidding me. Immortelle? Cinnamon? Benzoin? Leather? WHAAAT?

This is all about a hyper-green orris root bonded around a woody-citrus bone structure. Maybe not as generic as one may initially think but definitely safe and sort of cold. Made me think about a partially successful delivery from Divine. Think about L'Etre Aime Homme minus the ambery drydown and you'll get an idea. There's a part where the orris root is timidly joined by some immortelle that catched my interest. It seemed an interesting evolution but, unfortunately the accord doesn't bloom and the helichrysum is relegated to a side note leaving the fragrance with a thin green woody vibe which is not bad yet extremely far from being interesting. The fragrance is pervaded by a rose-y vibe throughout. There must be some rose in here. Maybe some incense....somewhere...

Good lasting and good projection.
21st December, 2012 (last edited: 28th December, 2012)