Positive Reviews of The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

Find out more about The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jtd's avatar
    jtd

nympho

The perfume-tells-a-story bit isn’t my bag. Why do we try so hard to push narrative onto non-literal experiences? As much as I love to write about perfume, the writing is utterly after the fact of the experience. Just let me smell my perfume and experience the state.

The poem, the music the ballet, the myth. Genug shoin! Afternoon of a Faun perfume doesn’t suggest fauns or any of the notions that a faun represents in mythology. But story aside, it is a brilliant perfume.

There have been a number of strategies to recreate or suggest the chypre accord without the bio-hazard oakmoss. Chanel 31 Rue Cambon bends a floral amber into the shape of a chypre. Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Cheri makes patchouli, a common chypre component, a stand-in for rather than a partner to oakmoss. de Nicolai’s Vie de Chateau Intense plays with the hay-like scent of coumarin to create a fougere/chypre hybrid. But Ralf Schwieger does a clever turn with Afternoon of a Faun.

Using immortelle, which I wouldn’t otherwise think to associate with oakmoss, he plays up the sandpapery, dusty feel of oakmoss giving us the tone and the shape of the chypre without explicitly trying to smell like one. The composition has a clear bergamot note, and an ambery benzoin if not cistus labdanum itself, so the rest of the chypre elements are in play. But immortelle, when matched with incense and myrrh implies that state between smokiness and resin that moss creates. Imagine that perfume notes are elements on the periodic table. Schwieger goes directly up one level to find the element that shares the same chemical properties as our element oakmoss and makes a new compound.

Rather then suggesting a chypre (31 Rue Cambon) or using chypre-like elements (treemoss and the new synthetics) Schwieger gives us a parallel universe chypre, and I for one couldn’t be happier. This could easily be a signature scent for someone searching for perfume monogamy.

from scent hurdle.com

27 June, 2013

Perfume_Addict's avatar
    Perfume_Addict

I don't think this is unisex - it definitely reads feminine to me. In fact, the first reaction I had to it was that it resurrected some of what was lost in recent reformulations of Y Yves Saint Laurent. I love the green orris combined with benzoin. Its also very long lasting being very noticeable even after 12 hours. Overall, a wearable and beautiful scent.

17 January, 2013

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Wonderful fresh green fragrance with a twist. 'Green' isn't my cup of tea at all but there is an exquisite sweetness to the heart and base notes, which is difficult to pin down, but is addictive. I can hardly believe the notes listed -- this is not a curry. Big compliment getter. Think of all the 'Jardin' fragrances by Hermes -- then take out the awful chemical overload of them; you will be close to this ' with her belly grey'.

10th January, 2013

Kake718's avatar
    Kake718

I have to buck the trend here,
    Nothing new to smell, a classic Chypre, dressed down with a forrest floor accord.
    None the less a Masterpiece due to it's flawless execution. Fresh, Verdant and Woody.

09 November, 2012