Reviews of Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange

Ex Machina Director Alex Garland 2014
03rd September, 2017
As I delve more and more into the realm of perfume collecting, I find that the names of fragrances hardly ever match the product inside the bottle. Such is the case, here. I'm okay with that. I'm getting used to it. I digress.

This one starts with a blast of tropical frozen cocktail notes of rum, ginger, and coconut. That is about as "dangerous" as this gets. A few moments later a layer of calamus, osmanthus, jasmine, and patchouli waft over me like a breeze filled, tranquil afternoon. It's calming. Kind of sweet. Kind of, interesting. It dries down into a powdery base, with a leather note, sandalwood, and cashmere wood. It's a safe perfume for any occasion. It's too girly to be a unisex scent, in my opinion. It would make a good workday perfume. Neutral enough, for a first date.

I'm a sucker for powdery scents. Overall the end result is more than satisfactory enough for my tastes.

And... Dang! This stuff grows on me the more I wear it. It is like a chameleon. It seems to vary its charm on every wearing.
11th July, 2017 (last edited: 20th July, 2017)
This is a very pleasant, neutral sort of fragrance - nice for an office job or any other place that calls for a more subtle scent.

While I'm no expert at picking out individual notes I can usually manage a few, but I'm struggling with this one. Some florals and . . . woods, I guess. Certainly nothing "dangerous." It does seem more feminine than masculine.

I don't really have anything negative to say, but I guess I was expecting something more . . .

Eta: I upgraded my rating of this after I found myself reaching for it multiple times. It's not an exciting fragrance, and I don't love the powdery opening, but it's still a nicely blended scent for everyday. I really like the subtle leather note in the drydown. I wouldn't have expected a pleasant daytime frag from EldO, but here it is . . .

18th May, 2016 (last edited: 03rd June, 2016)

This one is like a Thai version of a Jimmy Buffett song. Unfortunately the composition favors the jasmine and synthetic woods to the extent that that the top notes, which one would expect to be bright and festive, are utterly subdued. Idea > execution.
31st January, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
A fruity and somewhat lifeless coconut opening with a ginger lining is followed by a jasmine-dominant floral drydown. The base notes are wood-based, with a hint of synthetic sandalwood that sports a leathery amber sidekick.

The perfomance is disappointing with soft sillage, just adequate projection and three hours of longevity on my skin.

This is not a bad scent for autumn, but it is quite generic and dangerously unexciting, and after the drydown starts to develop it is on the dull and boring side. Middle-of-the-range. 2.5/5.

14th January, 2016
I will say at the outset that I am not familiar with many of ELDO's works. I have worn this one and Afternoon of a Faun. I was a little put off by the notes listed for this frag, but it turns out very well for my skin; gentle, flowery, but a bit different from the many other perfumes in my cabinet. I understand that this line is known for "edgy", and this particular juice is not that. However, I wanted to put in a good word for it. On its own, and without comparing it to other works by ELDO, I find this to be a lovely and wearable scent. It is NOT a department store celebrity juice at all. The dry down is my favorite aspect. I admit to a lack of savvy when describing perfume, so I apologize for that. I still think this one could be considered unisex.
06th January, 2015
Kaern Show all reviews
I was expecting something a bit more edgy if the title was anything to go by. It's a mild fruity/boozy rather wispy sort of fragrance that is erring on the feminine side. I don't dislike it at all but was expecting more. 'Idole' lite would be a good description.

No more 50ml bottles from Eldo anymore if what I heard is correct.
10th January, 2013
As a hardcore fan of Etat Libre D'orange, I can't say Dangerous Complicity impressed me. My perception is that the two latest compositions by the french firm are sort of traying so hard to catch the mainstream crowd's attention and expand their audience. Nothing bad per-se if not that Dangerous Complicity plays this game a bit too safely.

A modern and juvenile concoction of fruity-floral notes (coconut, jasmine and osmanthus) laying on a average, sandalwood driven, woody-balmy base. Some booze on top provides a "trendy" vibe which is not enough to save this composition from resulting too simple and, yes, boring. It could easily be a new Diesel, Sweet Years or whatever else department store fragrance aimed to younger crowds.

As a matter of fact, since Archive 69, I still have to find a new ELDO that I like. When I think about Eldo, what comes to mind is Rien, Je Suis Un Homme, Like This, Fat Electrician, Noel Au Balcon, Eloge Du Traitre, Vierges Y Toreros, Tom Of Finland, Rossy De Palma, Charogne and even Sec. Mag. but I'm afraid this is very far from those.

22nd December, 2012
Sandalwood and jasmine are the main players in this. Very very mild essence of rum, coconut and leather....very mild. It's soft and gentle. Luckily for me the jasmine is softened by the creamy sandalwood. I am not a fan of a strong jasmine note in fragrances. Very nice soft comforting fragrance. I give this a neutral just cause it hasn't thoroughly knocked my socks. Not a bad fragrance whatsoever but just falls in the average category for me.
29th November, 2012