Positive Reviews of Saffron Rose by Grossmith

Saffron Rose is something to contend with. It is one of those scents that must be worn on the skin to truly appreciate, as its beauty unfurls only with the body's warmth.

The first whiff from the bottle is atrocious. The fatty castoreum gets stuck in the plastic tubing and that's all you can smell. The first spray is also rather off-putting: like fine red wine, it opens tight and illegible. Then, arriving like a club to the head- Castoreum. It's big, real, and skanky. The other notes of Rose, Saffron, Spice, & Woods all dance around the edges of these giant fatty molecules. You get a glimpse of them, but a full impression can't be garnered. By now, this scent has lost 99% of the wearers out there, all saying "Eeeww, what the hell is this stuff?".

But wait! Ten minutes in, the Caostoreum is literally melting into your skin and releasing all the other notes. There is a dark Rose with lots of spice and dirty, good quality Oudwood backed up by Labdanum (Cistus, Rockrose). Saffron Rose is an incense perfume through and through, with its dark, dusty feel. It evokes old churches with incense burning, decaying funerary wreaths, and leather prie dieux. An hour in, it lightens a bit as the Cinnamon finally kicks in and gives it some zip. Saffron Rose is a kaleidoscope of notes, each of which shift in and out of the spotlight over the course of the day.

Frankly, in terms of wearability, I think this scent would have benefitted from the lift of a little Bergamot. In an effort to give it some life, I layered Hermes' Galop "parfum" atop it for freshness and the levity of synthetics- and it is quite lovely. Galop on its own has too little base for me, so this is a perfect combination. When I want to amp up the Rose, I layer Saffron Rose instead with vintage Fleurs de Bulgarie by Creed, which uses a Musk/Ambergris base accord along with Rose and Bergamot. Labdanum and Ambergris pair well so this is a natural.

On a man, or a woman with oily skin, I think this can stand on its own. On my dry skin, in this arid environment, I find it a bit flat, although obviously of exceptional quality and very well done compositionally in the heart and base phases.

Given the cost, I highly recommend a decanted sample be tried over a week or so before committing to a full bottle.
02nd September, 2017
Saffron Rose has a long-enclosed feel to it – like an ornate box of precious scented materials that has lain forgotten which upon opening releases an aged, dry but bewitching odour. Definitely one for special occasions as it is one of those perfumes that expects the wearer to rise to it. The rose petals are withered and crumbling with an austere bitter-sweetness about them. The saffron is rubbed into old leather and the grain of the several woods that seem to be involved. And underneath them all is a salty, skin-like base note that suggests animal presence. The whole is unashamedly antique and it exerts the fascination of things that don’t reveal everything about themselves upon first exposure. One to wear when visiting the shaded room of the imagination that houses medieval manuscripts written on vellum.
Slumps somewhat after the first four hours into attar-by-numbers territory (the rose coming up) and drops in projection a touch before then – unforgivable at this price point.

17th June, 2017
This is a gorgeous soft and dry saffron rose.Most other saffron rose offerings tend to be too aggressive,but this is as smooth as a cashmere sweater. Luckily I do not get the aoud note.
I can imagine it would make an excellent fragrance for a winter bride.
16th August, 2014 (last edited: 31st August, 2014)

This is obviously an oud-saffron-rose fragrance with high quality ingredients. This may explain the quality of the fragrance, and also the high price. Rosam by HDP is quite similar, but with a lower price, so I'd rather go for that one.

11th March, 2013 (last edited: 18th March, 2013)
The very best of the most recent launches from Grossmith. If you like Saffron and Leather, you will love this. Heavy and rich with masses of Castoreum and Styrax, it is a fragrance that will polarise, I feel.

For the smell alone I give it a "thumbs up", but it is very, VERY expensive (or do I live in a different world); £250.00 for 50.0 mls. Well I think that is a lot. It was explained to me by the SA who was trying to sell me the stuff that it was so expensive because it was "pure perfume". "As opposed to what ?", I thought. It is still diluted in alcohol, and I'm not sure what else goes into other perfumes that don't cost as much. Anyway, it is good; just wished it was cheaper.
04th December, 2012
Gblue Show all reviews
This is a bloody good oud. Smell it when you get the chance.
13th November, 2012