Neutral Reviews of Le Beau Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Find out more about Le Beau Male by Jean Paul Gaultier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

The minty-lavender opening blast is paired with a slightly boozy note and is actually quite pleasant on my skin - a positive opening gambit that, unfortunately, is not followed up on the same level of originality. The herbal drydown and the musky-vanilla base are not only lightweight, but also fairly generic and - on me - frankly fairly bland. Not bad, but in spite of the promising opening overall quite mediocre. Soft sillage, fair projection and four hours of longevity.

25th October, 2014

jaybear's avatar

Finland Finland

My father recently bought a bottle of this and today I got a chance to sample it. Because of the bottle design I have had severe problems taking Le Male seriously and with Le Beau Male things aren't any different. When I got over it, however, I was a bit surprised: Fresh mint and other herbs, then lavender and definitely some orange blossom. Actually quite ok. After some time of mellowing the fragrance becomes more generic but manages to avoid all severe pitfalls. Le Beau Male certainly is a summer scent but in my opinion it's not a terrible sin to add some summery freshness to a grey and cold autumn day with it now and then.

28th August, 2014

Tony T's avatar

Uninspired

very close to Pure Shot by Mugler..

not worthy of the hefty price tag..

I guess with the tremendous failure of Kokorico JPG tried a new direction..

They failed miserably again!!

Pros: Lasts long
    Cons: unoriginal"

23rd September, 2013

Scentologist's avatar

A minty take on Mont Blanc Legend with a tinge of vanilla

I'd say this is probably the most interesting flanker at the counters. Immediately you get a minty absinthe blast that is fresh and reminds you nothing of Le Male. Much into the dry down after the mint has subsided, the familiar MB Legend/Fierce vibe comes in with a tinge of vanilla. Vanilla is only supportive and never takes a star role as in Le Male. Though the vanilla is the only link to the original, Le Beau Male is a completely different fragrance. I find it much more wearable and if you find Legend or Fierce to be a tad overbearing, then this might be for you. I'm still on the fence with this one.

Pros: Fresh and likable
    Cons: Its familiar"

03rd August, 2013

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

This fragrance tells you two stories.

First story - I smell a bit like a better refined Boss in motion and some frags you've already smelled but you can't remember which ones exactly. You either accept this or not and you move on...or not...

Second story - my role, or goal to say precisely, is to smell like the top notes of the original Le Male and smell like this all the way without any change in particular. In this I almost succeed and will you buy me depends on your experience or lack thereof, and level of your naivety.

I actually like it and find it pleasing, but despite all that I have to rate it neutral.

27th March, 2013

SteelerOpera's avatar

Interesting opening with mint and absinthe. Not a typical JPG flanker. Weird thing is, when it dries down it smells very similar to Mont Blanc Legend to me. Decent longevity, but a pass from me since I have others that smell very similar to it.

14th March, 2013