Reviews of Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince

Find out more about Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Jack Hunter's avatar

On the opening you can smell a very realistic accord of blackberry's & green leaves like your smelling them from a bush in a garden. This smell is underpinned by a candy jelly baby type of scent and it does smell very nice.

As time passes it gets sweeter by the vanilla which is soon joined by patchouli and other notes.

There is no denying that this smells good and I can appreciate it. But this is just not to my taste and I do think it would smell better on a lady.

30th December, 2013

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

I like the opening, there's vegetation, woods, rotten leaves, and all this is crowned with the darker side of blackcurrants: juicy and tart, but with a hint of cat pee. Very interesting indeed.

Sadly the drydown is disappointing: the realistic blackcurrant turns into industrial creme cookie filling made out of chemical blackcurrant essence, bland and boring.

15 November, 2013

TOONS1200's avatar

Love this fragrance. Amazing for spring. A fresh leafy green/wine type feel is what I get on my skin. love it.

05 April, 2013

knit at nite's avatar

This is a neutral review with the thumb climbing ever so slightly up. I was lucky enough to be gifted a sample. This is definitely a scent to clearly illustrate the difference between dab and spray.

Dabbed- I smelled fir balsam, fir balsam, and did I mention fir balsam? A very refined balsam, but I got nothing else. Not very exciting.

Transferred to a atomizer and sprayed: It transformed to crisp Blackcurrent, a little booziness, and finally (you got it), fir balsam.

The effect was a little like drinking a ribena syrup with seltzer, or some fruit wine in a deep forest. I enjoyed it enough to use every drop of the sample but it didn't move me emotionally at all. I would love to smell this on a musky man. I think muskier skin would really amplify the character of the scent.
    Your mileage may vary.

04 April, 2013

hedonist222's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

An epic failure.
    Its an anti-Bertrand perfume.

Its a mess.
    Absolutely no complexity. Muddled.
    No smooth rendition between notes & accords.
    Reminds me of when I get stuck in sand when I go off roading. Agonizing.
    Complexity is not an opinion, nor is harmony of transition between top, middle and base. Not all perfumes are intended to be complex, nor should they be. But it's clear when Enchanted Forest was intended to be complex but failed miserably. Then there's the muddled transition.

Don't get me wrong. I love B. Duchafour. Heck I own 15 of his creations.

But iit's like a mangled walrus freeing itself from quicksand. It's not a graceful sight.

01st April, 2013

alfarom's avatar

I'm afraid I can't say I'm "enchanted". The fragrance opens with a sort of Kir Royale/winey vibe and boatloads of black currant giving birth to an original accord that while smelling interesting it's far from what I usually like to apply on my skin . Green-ish elements provide nice but not completely successful sweet-and-sour, fruity-fresh facets enhancing, somehow, the sparkling-winey notes. The fragrance then quickly evolves into a woody-resiny oriental which feels a bit formulaic and, in the end, not much intriguing.

I'm a big fan of Duchaufour but I'm afraid I can't compare Enchanted Forest to the huge amont of masterpieces he delivered so far (Mohur, Trayee, Jubilation XXV, several Comme Des Garcons, several L'Artisans...to name only a few). Not bad but far from beng a winner in my book. Sorry.

31st March, 2013

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Enchanted Forest, created by Bertrand Duchaufour, is inspired by blackcurrant and the mystery of a Russian forest after rain. It's a kind of fairytale forest ripe with dark tangy berries, aromatic fir balsam, vetiver and wine/rum resins.

Blackcurrant is the soloist here, but with a coniferous woodland chorus. Really appealing and uplifting in an earthy, natural way. Like a walk through a forest it can be both invigorating and meditative.

Duchaufour describes it as a spicy woody chypre, and this gem is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Timbuktu.

Here is a master perfumer at the top of his game backed by a new fragrance company willing to spend money on high quality ingredients. Duchoufour deftly harmonizes the many and varied notes of this unisex eau de parfum and nature sings!

30th March, 2013

Amos Jolthead's avatar

I really love this fragrance. It's a wonderful idea, very pleasant and just different enough to give it that extra bit of appeal.

Basically what I get in the opening are the black currant, rosemary and some aldehydes. It initially smells very green, like a garden, rather than a forest, but I really like the opening notes.

From there the black currant still lasts for me - almost throughout most of the time I wear it. I get some vetiver and spices in the middle notes and the dry down is light and introduces some sweetness to perfectly balance this out. Bravo!

28 March, 2013

drseid's avatar

Enchanted Forest opens with an aldehyde-laced sour red wine, dry rum and blackcurrant fruit accord. The overall accord is reminiscent of a very tart booze-laced tropical fruit punch. The challenging open lasts a good hour on skin before finally softening to its more manageable blackcurrant and oakmoss heart. The mossy green facets of the oakmoss are all but obscured by the blackcurrant, instead showcasing its powdery aspects as they are more able to cut through the tart fruitiness. Carnation is also used to take some of the sting off the extreme bitterness of the blackcurrant fruit, while during the dry-down an underlying evergreen fir note from the base adds to it. Projection is average and longevity is below average at about 4 to 5 hours.

I really wanted to love Enchanted Forest, but it really is tough. The dry booze, tart wine and fruity nature of the open is definitely unique, but more than a bit off-putting. I love drinking tart tropical rum punch, but I can't say I have ever wished to smell of it. To add to my dismay, once you get past the bizarre open and the scent becomes more wearable, it turns very powdery while maintaining its tart fruity core and on me, at least, it just did not work. I absolutely love the bottle and I like the story behind Enchanted Forest, but the name is somewhat misleading as the composition is more tropical punch than green forest despite the supporting fir note in the dry-down. The bottom line is I am impressed with the innovation but disappointed with the results of this 2.5 star out of 5 very average release by The Vagabond Prince. Must be a rookie mistake, I guess.

26 March, 2013