Positive Reviews of Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince

Tested from a sample over 3 days. "Newbie" amateur review:
Definite LIKE.
The first blast is full-on fruity blackcurrant, a bit like fruit gums or blackcurrant herbal tea. Then after only a few seconds the smell changes and becomes really authentic blackcurrant, not just the berries, but the whole bush: the fruit, the leaves and stems and the earthy roots in the soil. I have blackcurrants in my allotment at the moment and I went out to compare - this is a really good simulation of the real thing. (Tip: don't attempt to walk through nettles wearing Havaianas....)
I think I read someone said it reminded him of body odour. I got that too, but it's by no means a criticism. The overall effect is to give an earthy, sour quality to the blackcurrants, that makes it seem more like real life. I don't get the fir/conifer smell too much (or much else actually) that everyone else gets. The body odour/earthy part also makes it a very sexy scent, in my opinion. I'm not an expert, but I would say it doesn't develop very much, except that I can smell a little vanilla in there right at the end before it vanishes. Lasts 6-7 hours on me, with quite soft sillage.
For me it's not really "enchanted", it's very in-your-face human. The image I get is of a person on a long walk in the country, on a hot summer's day, sweat on skin, hiking shorts, T-shirt, walking deeper into a wood (ok I got influenced by the name..) with some kind of opportunistic sexual motive. I would wear this if I was in the habit of having illicit trysts in the woods (I'm not in the habit of that at all), and unlike many other reviewers, I would wear it outdoors, in summer, if I was walking, working in the garden or doing some kind of manual work. It's one of those I think I'd only wear rarely, but I like it enough to buy a bottle, so it's going straight on my "want" list.
July 2015
Later edit. I decided that I am still in two minds as to how often I would really wear this, so I decided to get another small sample before investing in a bottle.
21st July, 2015 (last edited: 22nd July, 2015)
I loved this the first time I tried it, when it veered back and forth between blackcurrant and pine, both realistic, both wonderful, not what I had ever imagined working together, but somehow they did.

Then I wore it again today. It was much warmer outside today than when I first sampled. NONE of the pine came through, and it was all blackcurrant, and not nearly so exciting.

My recommendation is to try this in winter or fall, when it is sublime. In summer, don't bother.
20th June, 2015
The name says it all - the opening is pure enchantment. I wanted it to last forever. The beautiful musky aroma of authentic wild blackcurrant, distinct and piquant, conifer notes, cool air and fragrant moist forest floor humus really took my breath away. Beautiful evocation. I've picked blackcurrants in the woods, and this speaks of all that's wonderful about it, that musky fruit aroma on your hands as you pick. I felt a true sense of place. But beyond that, the berry here really is outstanding. It has such character it stays in your memory. At this point I didn't want this fragrance to go anywhere but where it was. I could have stayed in this forest forever.

I was almost afraid how this fragrance might develop. Was it going to follow this vision I fell in love with, or fall into triteness? How do you follow an opening like this? The fragrance slowly leads you away from the deep forest down a path that steadily brightens, like the archetypal one of fairy tales, toward a sunny glade. The moist notes started to dry off, the deepness became warmer. An ambery benzoin started suffusing the blackcurrant musk with the smell of conifer resin heating in the sun, mingling with wild rose in the sunshine. I was surprised by this new note, how very sensual blackcurrant, rose, resin and vegetable musk was. It was really beautiful. It was so different from the typical musk you smell in a fragrance, really quite unique, such an authentic sensuality, as if it came straight from the blackcurrant. At this point, the fragrance was starting to feel inspired. And again, I didn't want to leave this spot. I wanted it to go on forever.

The amberiness gradually became stronger, like the sun rising toward high noon in the forest glade, slowly burning off moistness, topnotes and delicacy. Soon, the sensual rose, blackcurrant and resiny musk dissipated under a preponderance of surprisingly non-complex vanillic amber. There were subtle undertones of the blackcurrant and rose, staining it with a sweet memory, but not enough to give it presence or complexity. The final end seemed mostly amber, a crime against the blackcurrant which was the raison d'etre of this fragrance. And beyond that, it wasn't even an amber with character, but a weak one. The switch in this fragrance was huge. And puzzling.

I have to say I'm not an amber fan - it has to show me a lot of complexity before I'm beguiled. But I also thought if any fragrance would have done so, this one would. It's originality and enchantment to this point sort of demanded it and makes the dry down disappointing. Amber fans may like it, but not the rest of the fragrance, while berry lovers may like the beginning but not the end. It seems set up to not be able to fully please. I still like it, with reservations. The opening and middle are the only parts I love. It seemed to fade away into an echo of what was the meaningful and most beautiful part of the perfume. The bar was set pretty high for me, and the ending was weak by comparison. It's good, but it could have been stellar.
06th May, 2015 (last edited: 10th May, 2015)

This is a very beautiful and natural smelling fragrance that is too pity it didn't last on my skin.
There are lots of notes listed here but it's much simpler than it looks like.

The opening of this fragrance is a tart and fresh and at the same time a little sweet black currant smell along with a beautiful mossy and piny woody aroma.
The quality of the notes is really high and the whole feeling of the scent is so natural.

As time passes and in the mid the fruity black currant settles down a little bit and the woody part gets a little stronger! now in this part while the scent has that tart fresh fruity feeling, it's a little more woody, slightly resinous and it has a soft smoky aura.

The base is the same smell but now those fruity and woody parts are much softer and there is a mellow vanilla note for sweeten the scent and a little bit of musk completely in the background.
This fragrance reminds me of being in a big pine forest in the morning while there is a camp fire burning nearby and you're eating fresh black currant fruit.
Projection is average and longevity is only 3 hours on my skin.
20th March, 2015
Enchanted Forest is a very complex fragrance. I love the opening and you can instantly smell the blackcurrant. The dry down is a mild spiciness, on me I can really smell the rosemary and vanilla. It is sweet but powerful enough to get a whiff now and then. Perfect for the Fall and Winter.
26th September, 2014
On the opening you can smell a very realistic accord of blackberry's & green leaves like your smelling them from a bush in a garden. This smell is underpinned by a candy jelly baby type of scent and it does smell very nice.

As time passes it gets sweeter by the vanilla which is soon joined by patchouli and other notes.

There is no denying that this smells good and I can appreciate it. But this is just not to my taste and I do think it would smell better on a lady.

30th December, 2013
Love this fragrance. Amazing for spring. A fresh leafy green/wine type feel is what I get on my skin. love it.
05th April, 2013
Enchanted Forest, created by Bertrand Duchaufour, is inspired by blackcurrant and the mystery of a Russian forest after rain. It's a kind of fairytale forest ripe with dark tangy berries, aromatic fir balsam, vetiver and wine/rum resins.

Blackcurrant is the soloist here, but with a coniferous woodland chorus. Really appealing and uplifting in an earthy, natural way. Like a walk through a forest it can be both invigorating and meditative.

Duchaufour describes it as a spicy woody chypre, and this gem is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Timbuktu.

Here is a master perfumer at the top of his game backed by a new fragrance company willing to spend money on high quality ingredients. Duchoufour deftly harmonizes the many and varied notes of this unisex eau de parfum and nature sings!
30th March, 2013
I really love this fragrance. It's a wonderful idea, very pleasant and just different enough to give it that extra bit of appeal.

Basically what I get in the opening are the black currant, rosemary and some aldehydes. It initially smells very green, like a garden, rather than a forest, but I really like the opening notes.

From there the black currant still lasts for me - almost throughout most of the time I wear it. I get some vetiver and spices in the middle notes and the dry down is light and introduces some sweetness to perfectly balance this out. Bravo!
28th March, 2013