Reviews of Eros by Versace

Find out more about Eros by Versace in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

gmichael's avatar

The fragrance may be a kind of trash - but it is a trash that works! Thumbs up for longevity! Best of all I owned so far, outperforming A*Man and 1 million. Got it as a pack or perfume/deodorant and deodorant longevity is also very good.
    A perfect working man fragrance.
    The only drawback is deodorant being supplied in exactly the same glass bottle as EDT so you have to check what are you putting on. I'd like to have a deodorant in a convenient metal case.

16 October, 2014

Ryan1159's avatar

So much bandwagon hate on this one. Is it just the name "Versace" that turns you off from this fragrance? I love this one, it projects and LASTS! However, I believe it was recently reformulated, and wasn't as good as the "vintage" juice.

15 October, 2014

Picknenders's avatar

Welcome to the factory of vanilla powder. Pure trash.

02 August, 2014

silentrich's avatar

A better version of Chanel Allure Extreme. It has more of everything and doesn't pretend to be a flanker of a flanker of blah..blah..blah. There's a little more of everything and but ultimately it's a loud and pretty obnoxious fragrance. Fits right along side of 1 Million as a clubbing or attention fragrance, but does it with a bit more of a synthetic quality. This is sweet, but from the reviews I was expecting along the lines of cotton candy sweet which it isn't. No bad really, but it's an acquired taste.

24 July, 2014

Eugene Tooms's avatar

I've tried this one from a sample for the last week, on and off. It's exactly what you'd expect from a mass market brand - utterly bland, designed to be characterless so as to offend as few people as possible and thereby to appeal to the widest market. It's "nice", up to a point, but it's also instantly forgettable. It doesn't create a mood or enhance one's spirit, it doesn't intrigue or elevate. It just sits there being polite.

Give me something with distinction any day.

07 July, 2014

Skilar16's avatar

Don't like it. It kind of gives me a headache.

26 May, 2014

SpaceAboveSky's avatar

If you're looking for something revolutionary, this isn't the fragrance for you.

While it's fine to look for something super complex, I don't think its fair to over look what can be a nice scent because it isn't the exact fragrance in your #1 wishlist.

With that said, lets get into the details. When I spray this I get a citrus (lemon not orange), floral scent with smooth traits. It has some sweetness but it isn't a sugar pit, as time goes on it gets more smooth with a dry down of tonka/vanilla. It still holds to some floral/fruity mix and you can get the cedar in there some what (although I don't know the difference between virginian and atlas cedar).

The best way I can convey this scent is there's this jar of lemonade sitting in a window sill on a breezy day. There's some herbs floating in the liquid, a flower or two floating at the top, with an overall herbal trait to it, including some mint. The wind blows and you can smell a sweet blend of the sugar mint in the lemonade mixing with near by grassy flowers by this log cabin house.

I give it a 8.5 out of 10, if you have a few vanilla fragrances, or you dislike tonka etc. you probably shouldn't go with this one, but it's definitely worth giving it a couple of wears before ultimately deciding. Everybody that has smelled it on me so far has loved it. The projection is below average (my skin tends to do this to fragrances) but it lasts a good while on me (surprisingly). So this is closer to the skin most likely. Enjoy.

18 May, 2014

odysseusm's avatar

The usual tiresome, sweet, fruity, synthetic, charmless, obnoxious, loud dreck.

15 April, 2014

zhuyhit's avatar

Too sweet, can't imagine smelling this on a man...

12 March, 2014

juggrenaut's avatar

I really like this fragrance. It starts off sweet, but that quickly settles to a really nice and subtle clean scent. My girlfriend loves this. I received this as part of a gift box, and when layered with the after shave and shower gel, it really comes into its own. The cologne on its own without the layers might lack a little projection.

08 March, 2014

Loki11's avatar

The bottle is a masterpiece, but it goes downhill from there.

I was expecting a quality masculine aquatic but this is sweet, sickly perfume in the style of 1 Million. Avoid if you are over 18.

23 January, 2014

Scentologist's avatar

I've avoided this for a long time; all the while knowing it smelled good. I was finally talked into giving this a go. I'm generally not a fan of tonka, but its nicely done in this application. This is a perfume for garnering sex appeal. Though I feel YSL L'Homme is a tad less synthetic, I prefer Eros over it and One Million. There are a lot of negative reviews, but so far I like it and will wear a few times hoping that I retain the same feeling about it. Always remember to explore for yourself and let your nose be the guide.

16 January, 2014

cologne65's avatar

versace eros is one of the better expensive colognes out there I have worn. sweet smelling fragrance that last for hours. you feel elegant wearing this. a good companion to armani code. if you want more masculine colognes your best to stick with those classic drugstore brands. seems every famous clothes designer got into the cologne and perfume business from dior to laurent to versace to armani to valentino etc.

06 January, 2014

reinhard5490's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I didn't expect much when I blind bought Eros

a pleasant surprise - the bottle and packaging is a stunner; but the scent is even more intriguing. Granted it's not something that you would say 'masterpiece' or something similar - but it do smelt good. Eros is a good blend of vanilla and tonka with addition of mint; it would remind you of any sweet scent because it IS sweet, but doesn't mean that any scent smelt like 1 Million.

Eros smelt odd even for sweet fragrance; initially I felt disturbed by Eros scent but lately I found that Eros have moderate to good projection (which mean less offensive for most people) and great longevity (it stays in skin for 8 hours - a record for me!) definitely better than Versace Pour Homme

All in all; a good fragrance if you want something for close-counter fragrance in club, it smelt nice and draws compliment especially in the drydown

27 December, 2013

colormechris's avatar

I have to say I agree with all the reviews here, good and bad. I just received a gift set of Eros for my birthday, so I now own across two bottles, approximately 5 ounces of the stuff. There was no return receipt, because I would gladly exchange this for something I love. But you know what? It's growing on me...I'm kind of craving it in that way you do some scents. Like you need a fix. Hold on, I'll be right back...
    I just sprayed some on. It goes on like a supersonic candy shop; but that quickly dies down and the more subtle, grown up cedar notes make their presence known mixed in with a touch of vetivery-lemony sub-sub notes. It is quite a bit like Rabanne's 1 Million (which I think is just Tenere with some added ingredients) but I like it much better. I thought 1 Million was one of the most perplexingly overrated scents of the last few years and I love Senor Rabanne.
    Versace's Eros also has a strange sour undernote which I quite like. Clearly this was a slapped together, by committee, as AndrewtheCologneGuy said "...a combination of the last 3 or 4 top selling of the last decade" scents. But they got it right. Or they got lucky. Or we did.

27 December, 2013

rogalal's avatar

To be fair, Eros isn't as bad as I expected. I assumed from the blue bottle that it would be just another "bleu" Windex aquatic. Don't get me wrong - it IS a Windex aquatic, but the harsh chemical smell is tempered with mint and lavender and paired up with a sour-milk caramelized marshmallow smell instead of the ubiquitous grape drank or fake citrus that scents like this usually use.

That being said, I haven't really liked Eros. It's REALLY obvious that this was some marketing team's attempt to make something that smells like One Million and, even if it were more unique, I just don't like that sharp Windex chemical smell, and I dislike it even more when awkwardly paired with Angel-esque super-sweet notes. Oh well, more for the youngsters...

13 December, 2013

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

I think the reviews here are a little harsh. It's not a bad fragrance, it's just Italian in the way it presents itself. It's kinda loud and brash. And yes it is unappologetically synthetic. The top (cold metallic) mid (warm gourmandish) and base (woody-gourmand) notes present themselves all at once, like a rich guy trying to show of his car collection by having his friends drive all the cars in a convoy with him.

While a bit over the top, I find this to resemble Versaces for men of the Gianni era, minus the use of natural ingredients. However, it is clear that Donatella and crew are struggling here. This smells like a combination of the top 3 or 4 selling frags over the last half decade (a little YSL L'Homme, some Mugler of various variety, V&R's Spicebomb etc...)

I would actually wear this, because it has its place: when you need to assert yourself in a sea of fragrances.

18 November, 2013 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2013)

Gumption111's avatar

Dont listen to the old fogey basenoters' reviews.

Good juice, girls love it. Versace needed a vanilla based scent release as they've become awash with wimpy aquatics in they're lineup. This would be a great alternative to Le Male, Fuel for Life, or 1 Million.

Pros: Playful, modern, longevity, projection.
    Cons: Not for the over 30 crowd."

20th September, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Too sweet and synthetic

Mint, ambroxan, vanilla, synthetic, sweet and sickly all throughout. Excellent longevity of seven hours is prolonging the agony...

05 September, 2013

MrSniffer's avatar

I Need Insulin and I Need It Now

Without sounding unnecessarily harsh I cannot find anything positive about this scent. At the onset the initial blast is pure headache inducing sugar, I had always wondered what "cloying" would feel like, now I know. I had hoped that the drydown would soften a bit, maybe allowing it to fade into a more manageable level of sweetness, but it just hung in there for hours smelling like a candy body spray. To be clear I am not anti-sweet fragrances, I own and enjoy some scents that would probably make good pancake toppings, but this is just a bit extreme. Wait, here's a "positive" the longevity is awesome.

I can see where this would be a big seller with a much younger audience than me (As Louis C. K said "I am halfway through a healthy life or almost done with an unhealthy one. I guess I'll find out which one soon enough.") If you are under 20-25 and Halloween was your favorite holiday, you will probably like this, if you aren't this might be a tough sell.

Pros: My daughter liked it, Great Longevity
    Cons: My daughter is an 11 year old girl, Great Longevity"

31st August, 2013

MOODSE's avatar

mystrious sweet

i tried this on counter ,and i love it. But when i go to warm place ,it just make me dizzy

Pros: perfect projecting, 7+hours lasting
    Cons: feel bad for warm place"

31st August, 2013

LAHouK's avatar

I Love It

When I first sampled this I hated it because of the top notes, I felt that it was too strong, obnoxious and synthethic but I really liked the drydown, very sweet-vanilla-candy-like (I'm a big fan of sweetness).

I gave it a try weeks later and i started liking it and then I decided to purchase it. it keeps growing on me everytime I put it on me. Now I'm liking the minty-zesty-greeness of the entrance (idc if it's synthethic smelling) and then it changes totally into a minty-candy like drydown that I love because it reminds me of Christmas and I'm a sucker for Christmas-like scents.

The projection and longevity is really good and the bottle is really cool, very nice color, shape and design. A winner for me overall at last.

28 July, 2013

Companion Cube's avatar

Alright, nothing to get too excited over

I went to Macys a week back and I smelled it. It had a good top but when it dried down, I smelled like a bag of christmas candy and that has been sitting there since like 1960. It is not a good fragrance in my opinion and it makes me sad because I do love versace.

Pros: Very Cool Bottle, and Sweet Smell
    Cons: Smells very cheap, and a little girly"

Tango-1's avatar

Delicious smell

As a 22 year old, I must say this fragrance is delicious. Yes, it has similarities with other fragrances like One Million and also AF Fierce.

The projection and longevity is pretty impressive, did not expected that. I even got 2 compliments after 5 minutes of spraying it.

It is not something new or exclusive, but you should give it a try. I could understand if older men won't like it though.

jcw122's avatar

More like Eros by Limited2

This stuff is terrible, I can't believe it's even marketed towards men! It reminds me too much of what most young girl's bodysprays smell like: CANDY CANDY CANDY! Yuck!

Pros: Cool color bottle
    Cons: Smells like a young girl's bodyspray"

noirdrakkar's avatar

Eros

It's by no means a memorable scent, or anything we will be talking about next year, but it is a decent fragrance that is ever so slightly better than your average cologne.  It's floral with sweetness and some mint, making it a little bit similar to 1 Million and Chanel Allure Homme.  If I were given a bottle as a gift, I would wear it on occasion, but I am not compelled to buy a bottle.

If your tastes aren't discriminating and you like to collect a lot of bottles, and you don't mind having bottles which are good (but not great), try Eros.  Everyone else, try Eros, but try other better fragrances out first.

It's good.  Just nothing more.

18 May, 2013

heo's avatar

Norway Norway

synthetic ! puts me off. try it before you buy it.

09 May, 2013

Darvant's avatar

The combination of the warm-fresh notes is abstractedly interesting and courageous but it should have been requested an uncompromisingly natural substance of the elements which are indeed finally at all synthetic and cloying. The effect is similar to the one i undergo inhaling Neroli Portofino, namely a soapy, chemical, thirsty and finally dull mess rather than something fresh, natural, daring, defined and sparkling. Anyway, Eros is the Versace's recent attempt to create a modern fougere with an oriental twist (a risky yard). The aroma smells soon lemony and minty but in a general "tendent to warmth" atmosphere elicited by the dense combination of vanilla, tonka and ambroxian unfolding the oriental soul of the aroma. The combination of mint, geranium and finally oakmoss imprints a fougere dimention which is anyway overwhelmed and ruined by an excess of oriental notes than finally congest the smell and turn it out in a less interesting and elegant form. The initial combination between mint oil, citrus and sour green apple (also in the association with smokey tonka) produces a typical sour and vaguely bitter (tobacco) vibe which interacts with the sweetness of the oriental elements. The cedary final touch is noticeable for sure. A must try for the lovers of these new particular mixtures but not for me for sure.

30th April, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2014)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Dreadful, utter rubbish. Synthetic gourmand with no character or style.

26 April, 2013

carlosrafael's avatar

I find this cologne juvenile. I bouight it for myself based on the top notes, which I found to be sweet and likeable, and my short sampling time at Macy's. But ended up giving it to my son.

I was looking for something I could wear casually as I have many formal and high-end fragrances (one does not always want to waste sprays of high-end Creed, Dior, Surge Lutens, or Chanel fragrance to wear around the house or go to the shopping mall). I thought it was good for what I was looking for but after experiencing its full life-cycle a couple of tmes (from top notes to the evaporation of all its base notes), I realized Eros is just a few nice, but ephimerous, sweet and fruity notes smothered by dosage of low quality vanilla and tonka bean that my nose cannot take for too long.

Eros smells nice on my son, his highschools buddies like it, and the young highschooler girls appreciate it when he goes out with them to the movies, the mall, or the local eateries. For a mature man, it is a pass in my opinion.

25 April, 2013