Positive Reviews of Far Away Gold by Avon

A tribute to 20 years of Far Away, this has the coconut and vanilla like the original Far Away, but minus the 'powder'.
30th March, 2019
Calice Becker, the perfumer responsible for the original J'adore, Tommy Girl, Tom Ford's Ombre de Hyacinth and Velvet Orchid, Pierre Balmain's Vent Vert, and my personal favorite, Donna Karan Gold, also formulated this hidden gem. That may be a plus or a minus for you, but for me, it's a solid plus.

Admittedly, I'm a big fan of white and yellow florals, so the initial floral sweetness (not much sugar here) doesn't bother me one bit. Once it settles, this is primarily sandalwood, ylang, amber, and vanilla. The strength of the sandalwood note surprised me, and it really mellows out the sweet florals and brings everything together. There are hints of other flowers, primarily jasmine, and others that I can't single out. According to the pyramid on another, erm, "less respected" website lists osmanthus as a note, and I can see why. Though I can't pick it out individually, the osmanthus (or something entirely different, who really knows) gives the whole thing a kind of soft focus, like a 90s Glamour Shot.

The vanilla remains prominent throughout the dry-down, but it never tips into sugary territory. If I had to pick one adjective to describe it, I'd go with "buttery." The sandalwood sticks around just as long, as if to keep Vanilla posed at the just right angle for the camera flash. "Chin up, please. Lean forward a smidge. Now, turn your right shoulder toward me. No, not that far. Riiight there."
17th December, 2018