Positive Reviews of Corsica Furiosa by Parfum d'Empire

I bought Corsica Furiosa a couple of years ago in LA, when I was staying down the road from Scent Bar. After an extended session of looking for the perfect bottle, I got this. I was looking for something cold, or flinty, or green. Well, I got cool and green. I've since decided that my fantasy of a 'flinty' scent will probably remain in the realms of dreams.

CF has a green which is sharp and somehow wild or weedy. I've read a lot of reviews talking of tomato leaf but that's not exactly what I get - we had tomato plants in a sunny room when I was a child and I love and would recognise the smell anywhere. What I smell here is more like a waft of weeds or gorse (green not flowers) on a hot dry day carried by the wind. There's also a citrus note that I love - sharp but not sweet. It's listed as lime, and it's absolutely lovely to see it done justice and not appearing with coconut!

It's definitely and uncompromisingly green, and all day I've been getting hits of sharp dusty shrub.
22nd May, 2017
I love green scents - it was just a week or so ago that I was searching Basenotes for fragrances based on the tomato plant. So I was pretty thrilled when this fell into my lap as a random free sample from a beauty site. I doubted it at first sniff - rather than a fresh green vine-y note I got a slightly dry dusty one, like garden plants left too long without water in the sun. It won me over, though - the scent is complex and keeps intriguing me. As it develops I'm getting lots of earthy notes as well as a hint of something lemon-y. But the tomato plant note mentioned by several other reviewers really does dominate here.

I wish, wish, wish I could spritz this on - I have one of those little dabber samples and I never feel like I'm getting the right amount/coverage with those. Definitely considering a bottle.

Update: still love the scent of this, but it seems more suitable as a room fragrance or candle. I found the dusty green note wafting off my skin sort of disturbing after a few hours.
03rd May, 2016 (last edited: 04th May, 2016)
Corsica Furiosa arrived in the mail, as a wild-card sample, along with a recent purchase from LuckyScent. I would have never chosen this for myself, but now that this little vial is in my possession, I can't stop sniffing it. I'm vexed by this stuff. I can't understand, for the life, of me why Mr. Corticchiato would bring his considerable talent and energy to bear on this beautiful but strange perfume, with all its tart and fleshy citrus and grass . . . writes the lady who just bathed in Chanel No. 19.

I'm learning my way around green scents, and this one is different from anything I've yet encountered. In its scale, sweetness, density, and sense of almost carnivorous plant life, Corsica Furiosa gets at the great green classics of the past, such as the ferocious Weil de Weil. But those grande dames were still ladies when you got them in the parlor: the drydown of Weil de Weil is a majestic soap, but it's still soap--classical perfumery in the end. Corsica Furiosa, in contrast, remains untamed, becoming less sweet, more saline, and even more pungent as time passes. Its mintiness becomes more pronounced. It feels like a cold breeze blows across it, reversing the normal pattern of a perfume's "warming" as you wear it.

Wearing something this uncompromising might be beyond my capacity. But I'm haunted by this scent. And I'm disturbed by the knowledge that I'll run out soon. I may need some of this, at least for clothing and ambiance. Cold comfort takes on new meanings when I consider this scent.
20th April, 2016

Mont Sainte-Victoire and the Viaduct of the Arc River Valley (1885–1887)
02nd April, 2016 (last edited: 18th November, 2016)
Risky experimental (in dissonance with the classic french/italian typical chypre tradition) botanic-grassy-piquant blend for Parfum d'Empire by Mr Corticchiato which performs by Corsica Furiosa an olfactory tribute to its homeland, namely the wild-windy mediterranean island of Corsica. Just for lovers of the genre and for bravehearts lovers of the cold solitude of the untamed nature. Corsica Furiosa starts by soon windy and boisterous with a wild (sticky-citric-bitter) blast in your face of balsamic fruity/resinous lentiscus-pungent tomato (the acrid tomato leaves aroma) surrounded by a "spicy aura" of roots, lymphatic dissonant grass, salt, evergreen minty bushes, berries, barks, oakmoss and musks. The opening is almost shocking, slightly bitter-medicinal, secretly salty-ozonic and unique indeed. You feel the mysterious high mountain aroma with effluviums waving from fir resins, cistus and aromatic berries. In this phase I detect a lot the pepper presence perfectly combined with tomato (the main presence in my opinion) and aromatic herbs (lentiscus in particular) in a sort of almost culinary pungent mixture evoking vaguely something close to woodsy forest resins ideally combined with oregano, myrrle, dry tobacco, hay and rosemary. I detect anyway since the opening a sort of (vaguely powdery) cedarwood-like and mossy dark-green background veined by vague suede and glue accents. Anyway a dominant green-minty-acrid-earthy wild mountainous feel dominates the whole aroma, the smell of odorous bitter-fruity berries really aromatic, slightly mineral and pungent, an ardent earthy-grassy-mossy aroma partially close to the teatree oil effluvium. I detect a touch of amber, frankly I don't detect the honey, just may be a vague honeyed-like spark which is anyway (as derivation) more properly musky-botanic and sticky (resins)-like than animalic. A fantastic assertive (indie-like) scent for romantic solitary "hearts" beated by cold winds.
P.S: the dry down enhances the minty-salty-woody side of the aroma in a way a fragrance jumping a lot on mind starts to be Kenzo Air with its simple accord of anise, vetiver/cedarwood and amber.
03rd December, 2014 (last edited: 06th January, 2015)
Like the name implies, this scent takes you deep into the maquis – that dense mat of herby aromatics that carpets the sunny hillsides of Corsica (and Northern California). It’s highly naturalistic. A scent that’s like a photograph. Taking a whiff is like plunging your head into a bouquet that’s been heated in the sun. I discern notes of wild anise, milkweed thistle, myrtle, and dry grasses. A citrusy, lemony top note rides on top of this herby chorus. I can also detect leather, as well as a sweaty, cumin-ish note somewhere in the mix—this note recalls the one my mother used to call “gamy,” when she smelled it on little children who’d been playing hard outdoors in the summertime. It does strike me as a refined version of a recipe that’s been formulated before, in Annick Goutal’s Eau de Sud for example. But that does nothing to diminish the fact that this sharp depiction of Mediterranean air smells delicious.

11 November, 2014
11th November, 2014
Aggressively bitter herbaceous top notes of galbanum and tomato leaf are tempered by a healthy splash of sweet citrus, but the overall effect is astringent and pleasantly medicinal. Corsica Furiosa’s heart maintains the bracing green olfactory impression, even as lentiscus (mastic bush), a huge fresh hay note, and a dab of honey smooth out and slightly sweeten the profile. The fragrance is intensely evocative – it is difficult to wear Corsica Furiosa without lighting on images of a verdant meadow or newly-mown pasture.

As the fragrance develops, the sweetness of honey and hay precisely balances out the astringent bitterness of tomato leaf and galbanum, all of which fall into rank about the central lentiscus note. At about two hours into the development the chalky galbanum and sweeter green notes yield faint echoes of Lorenzo Villoresi’s Yerbamate, but the accord here is more elegantly modulated and less weighty. The mossy, amber-infused drydown is vaguely reminiscent of the great green chypres of the 1970s - fragrances like Y and Givenchy III. This drydown feels comfortable and generous after all the bracing green notes, though I sense little trace of the listed leather. The crisp, astringent style will not be for everyone, but green fragrance aficionados will want to give Corsica Furiosa a try.
19th July, 2014
A blast of dry greenness, galbanum and possibly lentisque. The green quality is very leguminal, suggesting fresh peapods as well as, presumably, the vegetation of Corsica. As it dries down it seems to veer vaguely towards Aramis before depositing the obligatory dose of synthetic cedar, though that is mercifully faint. The general style recalls Sisley's Eau de Campagne, with a similar type of green note, but less floral.
02nd July, 2014 (last edited: 03rd July, 2014)
Corsica Furiosa opens with a stunning, realistic, threatening gust of green wind, a bitter, sharp, vibrant and pungent slap of sour citrus notes, crunchy leaves, with a slight silky floral aftertaste and a central powerful accord of galbanum and lentiscus, which gives a really peculiar smell, a sort of fizzy but at the same time sticky and resinous ultra-green feel, with bittersweet fruity nuances and a balmy-resinous vibe. A moody, cloudy scent, actually "furious" as the name brightly suggests, almost rude and unfriendly but majestic and powerful, a cloudy sky before a thunderstorm on the Corsican coast, with a lot of natural aromas blending in the wind – woods, leaves, resins, flowers, berries, salty notes, branches struggling against the wind. All is deeply realistic, perfectly balanced, deep and vibrant – the quality and the composition skills of Marc-Antoine Corticchiato are quite a "guarantee". The smell that remains on your clothes after rushing through the bushes and the trees, with thunders chasing you before the rain. As minutes pass it then slowly and elegantly sweetens and softens, the "savage" earthy-green accord gets calmer settling on a more balmy/mossy side. Corticchiato's signature accord of hay and moss emerges, although less boldly than in other Parfum d'Empire scents. At this point you also detect better the subtle leather base, which is rawer and drier (and more harshly chemical, in a way) than the usual "suede" accord Corticchiato used for other scents. Vibrant galbanum notes are still around, all is still green, vibrant, crisp, citrusy and mossy, just a bit more mellow and delicate. Overall a powerful green bomb, a deeply respectful tribute to the majestic Mediterranean nature – almost neoclassic, there's something "epic" in the Greek meaning of classic nature-inspired myths. More powerful and persistent than other Parfum d'Empire scent, so that maybe confirms the "rumors" about the new concentrations. The only flaw is that there's not really much "else" in this except that gree-sour-candied bouquet, which may make this smell a bit linear (and boring) after a while, but if you're into monolithic, organic all-green scents, than go for this.

7,5-8/10
27th May, 2014 (last edited: 09th November, 2014)