Negative Reviews of Salome by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

I think cumin is wonderful. In FOOD.

In perfume, where it has become a go-to note for achieving a certain level of “skank,” it is almost always overpowering, obfuscating, and downright cheap-smelling.

And it pretty much ruins Salome for me.

This starts off beautifully, the initial spark of spicy florals giving way after about an hour to some sweet smoke and soft leather. After that, though, it’s all cumin all the time, a shrill, one-note tune played at high volume for the next couple hours before finally exhausting itself. The musky floral of the deep dry down is nice enough, but by this time I just don't care anymore.
17th March, 2019
Salome is not my bag of chips. I purchased a generous sample after seeing Salome win so many Basenote accolades. I've been trying for many months now with Salome, bringing it back out and giving it another go. I'm no stranger to complex assaults on my olfactory sensors, but Salome never tames them.

As other reviewers have stated, a little goes a long way. Salome has also offended those around me. I've receive more negative feedback and comments when wearing Salome.
19th November, 2017 (last edited: 29th November, 2017)
What a disappointment! Having heard so much about this fragrance I really wanted to like it. I love animalic fragrances, and the notes describing Salome sounded as if I would enjoy this. On first spraying it seemed perfect. Complex, animalic musk, oriental. Then after about an hour I started noticing the smell of soap, which got stronger and stronger and overpowered everything else. Not the smell of Aldehydes, nor a typical soap fragrance, but unfragranced, sour, fatty, greasy soap base. It is horrible and I can still smell it three hours later. Once again I find this to be a badly blended fragrance . Maybe with better evaluation it could have been saved. What a shame.

ADDENDUM. Tried this on Monday, it is now Wednesday and I can still smell it. Or the last traces of it anyway.
11th January, 2016 (last edited: 13th January, 2016)

It is not bad, it is unique. But it did not work for me at all.

It got the soap bar plus some musk, however it smells like old barber powder! and that what turned me off immediately.

I would give it another try and revisit my review if necessary.

22nd September, 2015