Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

Dirty Rose by PK Perfumes

Unfortunately, for me, I detect no rose whatsoever.

What I do get is a bitter oud leather, supported by amber and cinnamon.

Unpleasant to my nose, but for those into oud and leather, this might prove to be
    intriguing.

Colin Maillard's avatar

Les Echappées - Luxor Oud by Memo

Luxor Oud is a more-than-delicate floral-fruity scent with a quite unsubstantial texture, smelling basically of plastic scented with edible fruit syrups and a faint oud note which smells more like an accidental burnout on the base, a note of ambery cedar and not much else – perhaps a subtle smell of licorice, or however a sweet-earthy-smoky note. It does not smell that bad, but it’s actually really delicate to the point of smelling boringly thin – basically it smells like a dull skin scent which may sit close to any woody-floral designer fragrance, if it wasn’t for that microscopic hint of rubbery oud. Short persistence. If it cost a third of its price I’d have considered it a bit better. As-is, let’s be generous: just a “meh...”.

rhodes22's avatar

Magnifico I: Mirto Imperiale by I Profumi di Firenze

Very nice fragrance best worn in warm weather
    Green at frost with hint of pepper then woodsy mirtha reveals itself and stays for duration
    Good silage and lasting

rhodes22's avatar

Prima del Teatro di San Carlo by Carthusia

Really nice frag with classical composition
    Great silage, long lasting
    Mint and bergamot surfaces first followed by rse and slight oud
    This is a wonderful fragrance aptly named
    I really like this House and their scents
    Two thumbs up

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Black Amethyst by Bath and Body Works

Since I don’t see one male review, here’s mine. I think Black Amethyst is dark, heavy, and mysterious and definitely has that “wow” factor. Yes, I’ve heard how it’s a rip-off of Tom Ford’s Black Orchid, among others, but I have never smelled Black Orchid (I think I am the only one who hasn’t). Black Amethyst is slightly too floral for my tastes, but I’ve heard it has sometimes been mistaken it for a men’s cologne. I can easily imagine wearing this with a tuxedo at a formal event. It seems especially good in cold weather. And because it’s from Bath and Body Works, Black Amethyst is available in spray, lotion, and shower gel, which is a huge plus. And in my opinion, Black Amethyst is the only Bath & Body Works fragrance worth wearing, with the single exception of Midnight Pomegranate.

08th January, 2015 (Last Edited: 09th January, 2015)

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Balsamo della Mecca/ Mecca Balsam by La Via del Profumo

The intent here of the perfumer was clearly to imply devotional pilgrimage. The very name of the perfume (Mecca Balsam) suggests that this is an ancient salve to weary pilgrims on a religious mission. Somewhere, I read that Dominique Dubrana, or Abdes Salaam Attar as he is better known, wanted Balsamo della Mecca to capture the scent roiling in the wake of the hundreds of thousands of dusty pilgrims circling the sacred Ka’aba on their hajj in Mecca, chief among them the smell of frankincense, labdanum resin, and tobacco.

And yes, it does capture those smells. In fact, Balsamo della Mecca is a veritable monolith of ancient resins, balsams, smoke, and incense, swallowing up any trace of delicate florals (tuberose) or vanilla in its composition. But, although there is frankincense here, it is not the type of frankincense that makes me think of High Mass. The genius of Dubrana’s treatment of the note here is that Balsamo della Mecca sidesteps any references to liturgical worship and goes directly to a warmer, quieter, more human-scaled place.

So, despite the devotional connotations attached to this perfume (both professed and implied), Balsamo della Mecca does not strike me as a straight-ahead, literal rendition of worship (and it is all the better for it, in my opinion). This perfume is about the type of human warmth that transcends cultural, religious, and language barriers.

The opening of the perfume, with its hoarse roar of smoky, dirty/tarry labdanum and hot, woody cinnamon or cloves, represents the overwhelming swell of noise and humanity in the procession. Once the initial onslaught dies down, frankincense and precious woods come to the fore. Abundantly spiced, it is warm, woody, and inviting. The frankincense presents a different face here than it usually does – there are no lemony, astringent, or herbal qualities at all, instead it is the pleasantly stale, sourish air of a place where frankincense is burned all the time, just not right now. Joining this is a dry, smoky smell of oud wood chips, ancient books, resins kept in ornate little tins, and the pipe tobacco in a leather pouch. It is austere, dry, and smoky, but at the same time, filled with warmth (tonka, amber, resins) simmering just underneath the surface.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Pine? Where?? I just don't get it. This is a review of vintage Krizia Uomo.

The opening strongly reminds me of Havana by Aramis.. but within minutes I get a slightly soapy quality and huge blast of aldehydes. Still no pine. NONE. A shame, because this was recommended to be a pine monster, and I literally smell none. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions too quickly, this is only my second time wearing this.

As it dries down it reminds me of a mix of several old school scents, notably Giorgio Beverly Hills. It has that weird plasticy smelling soapy quality, very "aldehydic", with a sweet and dirty moss note in the background.

Still on the fence with this one. Nothing unique or groundbreaking.

Ambre Vie by House of Matriarch

Useless (almost an academic exercise) trying to rove across the Ambre Vie's olfactory evolution since this hellish (bitter, resinous, lush and aromatic) House of Matriarch's potion is a veritable masterpiece of perfumed witchery. By the way, the articulated Deadidol's review opens for us the doors to a really accurate comprehension of the Ambre Vie's general complexity. Yes, the note of natural amber (interesting the reference to a precious baltic amber) is the main element but the general structure is as much complex to induce us going beyond definitions and labels. Basically what strikes me immediately is the undeniable licentious luxuriousness coming from the combination of boozy spices (an hellish association of high quality "spirits" and luxuriant exotic spices), bitter herbs extrait, aromatic-resinous (somewhat balsamic) ingredients (in particular the floral balsamic Calendula Officinalis) and flavoured tobacco. The first impression is to be dealing with a golden royal potion rich of artistry, ambition, "Historical Grandeur" and luxury. The combination of mimosa and davana oil elicits a sort of gourmandish and aromatic lingering undertone of honey, serum and yellow pollen. Several "forbidding" parisian and roman scenarios (crowded by "dame fatale" and mysterious illusionist Cavaliers) mirably painted by Alexandre Dumas in its notorious Le Comte de Montecristo jump ideally on mind. As unusual for such natural amber centered aromas (which tend too often to collapse towards an almost flat sort of anonimous white powder) the texture in here goes ahead rich and multifaceted, manteining along the way diverse nuances and evolving slowly across a long "layout" studded by hills and fields featuring perfumed tobaccos, rich hesperides, longly distilled cognac, subtle floral attars, holy resins (frankincense), suede and bold ancient woods. Pure Bliss for this old nose of mine. Useless to go further with words, just....finally, if we properly press to define Ambre Vie an "amber", well, let me say "bombastically" that this is probably the most glorious amber fragrance ever appointed.

Straw's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

overpowering weird sweetness.It makes me want to throw up.
    One positive that becomes negative that you can't even scrub it off.Not for me.

Aether33's avatar

M by Puredistance

Puredistance M -

I wanted to love this fragrance and therefore had incredible expectations for it. Leather is my favorite perfume note and Hermes Bel Ami is in my top 5, hence my expectations..(oh and in another life I WAS James Bond!)

I must say that I am a little disappointed, given the exorbitant price.

Puredistance M smells absolutely wonderful in the opening upon initial spray. It smells like ultra new rich grey leather. If this is what a new Aston Martin interior smells like then I fully understand why Mr. Dove would want to encapsulate it into a bottle. It is masculine, powerful and luxurious, it conveys scenes of various 007 films, etc...everything you've read already.

The problem for me is what happens after about 6 mins. The fragrance changes (on me) into a head spinning potpourri of spices, the entire restaurant kitchen cabinet worth of spices. There is still a strong note of leather here, but the spices are overpowering it. There is a note in here that also reminds me of Bijan for men, an incense old church like note that I do not like at all. Thankfully it disappears after a few minutes.

The drydown was also a disappointment. On me, the basenote turns into a hot spicy vanilla combination. It's sticky, hot, too intense, too sweet and the leather has now disappeared.

Bel Ami by Hermes is in my top 5 fragrances and I imagined that M would be an enhanced version of it. It is not an enhanced version in the sense that it is better. M is not better than Bel Ami. In fact, it may be too far a stretch to compare them even. The only place that both are similar, are at the 3 or 4 minute mark after initial spray, where the leather was most intense for both, Bel Ami's leather is also rich, smooth, albeit less dry...

Bel Ami is a much more citrus fragrance in the opening where the bergamot overpowers the leather, but quickly cedes to it. M's leather is front and center at the opening, and the citrus is just a whisper. This is where M is at its best in my opinion.

Bel Ami is much more transparent in the heart, where the spices are faint and the leather is strong. M's spices are powerful in the center.

Bel Ami's drydown is sweet and vanilla and slightly bitter, it is also infused with spices but it is all very light, a whisper so to speak and this makes it very pleasant. M's base as I said is hot, sticky, and far too sweet for my taste. The intense spices and the super sweet drydown is what makes it a much more unisex fragrance, this basenote would certaintly smell delicious on a woman.

This is good however, because it would be redundant for Dove to have created another Bel Ami; M is its own and now you have the choice.

The bottle is gorgeous as is the leather pouch you can carry it in. The price however does not justify the fragrance in my opinion. If M were to cost $150 a bottle, I would most certainly buy it, just for the opening alone. It's worth that price. But the actual price is not. Bel Ami at $125 a 3.4 oz bottle is.

Loved the opening though..that was amazing...absolutely 007'ish...

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

Yatagan by Caron is a soft pine mixed with castoreum and leather. I also smell patchouli but not in an offensive way. Yatagan is one fragrance that sticks to my skin which is unusual. I love it to say the least. I read that it was released in 1978 but I did not hear about it until last year.

Revolution by Lisa Kirk

Weird scent that smells much better than the description provided within the packaging. Blood? Not really no. Urine? Well, yes because of the consistent use of civet. Tar? Yes, birch tar galore! Tear Gas? Yes, definitely and that's why I think it's somewhat of a dirtier version of a couple of compositions amongst the CDG Synthetic Series (Garage and Tar). As I said before, civet is very prominent as well as birch-tar but IMO what really adds the challenging power to Revolution are the strong spices (could be a scary blend of cumin and thyme?)...

Anyway, it takes ages for Revolution to properly settle down and become enjoyable as the opening is seriously arresting! Once you've passed the initial brutal and kind of claustrophobic blast, the fragrance settles down to a fascinating concoction of spicy and ambery musk. Not for everybody, definitely, but surely one of the most accomplished art+perfume projects.

Daring and, in the end, pretty unique.

Musk Al Ghazal by Haramain

A ridiculously cheap price for a more than decent oily white musk with floral nuances. The aroma is warm, sensual and "girlish" (with a pungent sweaty musky dirtiness). Somewhat conventional but nice for sure.

rbaker's avatar

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

No. 5 light: similar aldehyde-neroli opening, the rose a bit less opulent, the same sandal and musky-vanilla towards the end - lovely, less grand but a less rich alternative. Enjoyable, moderate sillage, good projection and five hours of longevity on my skin. 4/5

rbaker's avatar

L'Incendiaire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

In the beginning there was fire - greeting us with a smoky burning incense note - the mentioning of Amouage - e.g. Epic Man - is very apt indeed. And a bit of oud is present too. This incense is smooth, soft but very elegant and beautifully styled into a very civilised fire, more open fireplace than bush fires.

In the drydown floral components are added, a fairly bright carnation mainly, and hints of caramel and whiffs of ambery notes make an appearance. Later in the base notes a fairly gent while musk is added, combining with a very subtle midern take on discrete powderiness.

Now the performance - moderate sillage, good projection and truly splendid longevity: 11 hours in my skin. A very stylish, elegantly designed creation for autumn - 4.25/5.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Legend by Michael Jordan

Givenchy Pi by another name...dare I say it is better than Pi? No sneezing here and this is almost an EdP so spray lightly. A bit more complex and better composed to my nose. You could spray a sponge cake with this and eat it its so yummy. For the price? Priceless.

BTW this predates Givenchy's rendition by 2 years!

skical's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I just tried Fahrenheit today. Yes, my first time. After reading the reviews, I thought I should give it a try. From the beginning to the dry-down, it is terrible. I can't stand the smell. How anyone could recommend this is beyond me. Complete garbage.

Oud Stars : Fars by Xerjoff

Xerjoff Oud Stars: Fars is clearly an attempt (decently concretized) to perform a modern-light floral aromatic/fougere with an oudh centered resinous (musky-boise) dry down. The way in which juniper berries, aromatic lavender, citrus, pepper and geranium/jasmine are combined with the woody resins hangs out in a really pleasant and wearable aromatic way. Paradoxically the oudh's "spicy gassiness" is more notable in the top for few minutes (it seems to detect a touch of saffron too) while gradually a pleasant aromatic/floral presence starts disclosing its fresh drier subtleness providing class and distinction. Anyway, I prefer a more classically sharp woods-moss-ambergris dry down in these cases while in this fragrance an intense forest resin's presence and the ordinary agarwood resinous substance (less dusty-synthetic than in the opening and more properly creamy-woody) lead finally the aroma towards the woody-resinous-balmy-oriental territories (I would write better "semi-oriental", anyway the aroma is finally light and floral, slightly soapy, never massive or deep). I detect frankly several points in common with Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud Concentree which shares with the Xerjoff's one a fresh/citric/aromatic backbone based on musk, citrus, aromatic lavender, coriander e/o juniper (in a far less floral way to be honest) being anyway finally more leather oriented and less properly woody resinous. The "long tail" dry down is really subtle, delicate, floral (in a spicy sophisticated way), almost soapy. A nice, basically not innovative and easy to wear woodsy oudh for us.

07th January, 2015 (Last Edited: 08th January, 2015)

Andrew_B.'s avatar

Salt Air by Demeter Fragrance Library

When I first put it on I thought that maybe it smelled like the ocean, but it might also smell like wet paper. And then I went on about my day not paying much attention. But every so often I'd get a drift of silage that reminded me of when I used to live near the beach. And the more I smelled it the more impressed I was with how accurate it is.

I never really liked the way the ocean smells. I always thought of it as plankton living and dying in a gigantic eerie pool of water. But this sample is so accurate I don't feel like giving it up right yet. Or maybe it's just that it reminds me of a part of my life, and so I don't want to let it go.

neal's avatar

Gucci Oud by Gucci

Tried this today and was very pleasantly surprised. A powdery, light oud, Very smooth and classy. An evening wear tuxedo, type scent. The longevity with the oud is only 3-4 hours and then it becomes a mostly powdery skin scent. Still nice, but a reapplication might be necessary.

sam da indian's avatar

Wood Spice by Marks and Spencer

For fans of classics,(brut, quorum etc.) A must have. Amazing sillage, longer lasting than most colognes.

TefanG's avatar

Aedes de Venustas (new) by Aedes de Venustas

Sweet, soapy...smoky(?) Complex but not in a pleasant way. Makes me sneeze.

Violette by L'Aromarine

There is an initial burst of anise and bergamot, then this scent settles down to be what it purports to be: a light eau de cologne redolent of violets.

It is not powdery or soft, but strong, rich violet, as if you were actually smelling the European fragrant blossom itself.

Very light and recommended for summer evening wear.

Very affordable also. Thumbs up for this one.

Narcotico by Meo Fusciuni

Such a nice fragrance.

Actually nothing particularly groundbreaking but if you like patchouli-prominent stuff, Nrcotico is an extremely solid take on the main theme. An austere combo of dry smoky woods and frankincense during the opening, followed by a dark and velvety amber-patchouli base that's both comforting and brooding at the same time. Simple yet completely intoxicating.

Very nice.

Bois Bleu by Robert Piguet

Given the name one would probably expect a screechy woody aquatic a-là Eau D'Issey Pour Homme, instead Bois Bleu is an old-school woody vetiver with some spices thrown in the mix and a smooth violet note. For the most part this is a nicely done fresh / citrusy grassy vetiver (as opposed to the rooty / smoky type) with not much else actually. Despite leaning too much towards the synth side of the spectrum during the final stages, still somewhat nice and probably worth a sniff for any vetiver-freak but if you're planning to explore this note for the first time, there are much more relevant options out there.

Chanel1's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I'm so impressed with 31 rue Cambon! It may be on the feminine side, so I'll need to test it around people to see if it works for me, but the smell of this edt is intoxicating. I think this would be my first-choice Chanel on women, and I think it can work for a man too.

To my nose it's a typical feminine Chanel, one of the good ones, minus the aldehyde blast, and it develops with some hooks that pull my nose in.

Trauerkraut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Gentlemen Only Intense by Givenchy

Extra strong mediocrity...how many can one get in a dozen...?

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Chloé (original) by Chloé

Love the boozey peachy smell of this one. It is big and that's what I like about it on a winter day. A floral with personality. and substance. I don't wear this often but when I do I really enjoy it.

It definitely reminds me of the 1980's but that's not a bad memory. If you like the over the top fruity florals being marketed these days this one is not for you.

I don't know how anybody can think this smells anything like Fracas IMHO.

Carissa by PK Perfumes

Not having lived in southern California, I had never heard of the Carissa flower, described by perfumer Paul Kiler as a "white, five petal flower…its smell is heavenly, like gardenia and jasmine."

It of course dominates the perfume it is named after, smelling very like jasmine, but with a dry green note that gives it a very spring-like, uplifting appeal,not at all heavy, as white florals may tend to be. The slightly mentholated tuberose and a hint of neroli supports it beautifully, without over-powering it. The base is a restrained mixture of sandalwood, myrrh, musk, opoponax, and ambergris, which gives the dry down subtle depth.

Unfortunately, I do not detect the green rose note that other reviewers deem prominent. What I do detect is a lovely, light addition to the world of white florals.

A very palpable hit!

tymanski's avatar

Bois d'Ascèse by Naomi Goodsir

finally, and at long long last, my holy grail smoke! yay!!! it's perfect: strident and unambiguously smokey, but with depth and complexity without ever deviating from that core, central aspect. it doesn't relay on birch tar or phenols to ramp up the smoke but what seems like a more organic wood-based accord (how that's put together here, i don't have a clue, perhaps styrax, opopanax, myrrh, actually i don't want to overthink this one). it doesn't develop appreciably but does soften into a gorgeous denoument of shimmery resins that mirrors the last coals of a fire gone out. did i mention it was just perfect?