Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

Slayerized's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

R by Révillon

I cannot agree more with the perfect review of ericrico. Not that much to add........
    To me this is one of the the best smelling fresh fragrances out of the designer range of frags I own/know.
    It will remind you of many but still smells different! A positive aspect is that it smells pretty natural and not that synthetic as many other fresh (aquatic) fragrances. As said; the notes are very well blended and I can only agree to that. The drawback is that it does not last longer than 4 hrs tops and is just below average on sillage about one hour after application.
    As there are many occasions one wants to smell clean, fresh and inoffensive for 3-4 hrs, this is a must buy for me!
    Rating: 9/10

Lôant by Santi Burgas

Loant (as elsewhere well specified) is ideated to be the heart of the LOANT collection, a juice to be used separately (as an accomplished ambery-musky-floral fragrance) or combined with other fragrances of the same collection. Loant is a really sophisticated (almost balsamic) accord of white musk, sambac jasmine and ambroxan/cashmeran (with hints of amber). If you appreciate the sweetly liquorous aromatic "milky-almondy"ambers this fragrance is for you. The note of real ambergris seems to be cleverly combined with a soapy/hyper-glamour accord of synthetic musk and synthetic amber. At the beginning (wet, fresh, inebriating, penetrating) it seems to detect sparkling vanilla flavoured fresh vodka on skin, there is a fantastically boozy blast of liquid amber with vanillic-eliotropic "pungent" nuances. It seems to detect a touch malt, some rice cream, some ammonia (the spices "gassiness"), something remotely chocolatey, spices (cinnamon and nutmeg) and above all something in the middle between the wet (vaguely camphoraceous) concrete (or quicklime), a touch of bitter almond and a "red berries-like" nuance. I appreciate the particular simil quicklime's vibe hallmarking this luxurious blend of amber, synthetical amber and musk. This synthetic vibe seems to get perfectly in connection with white musk and with a soon blooming up sambac jasmine (with its lush "milkiness" so connective with cashmeran and ambroxan). Along the way the floral soul of the aroma starts hanging out significantly. The final outcome is indeed an extremely chic urban-spicy jasmine with a synthetically lacteous-almondy temperament. Recommended if you are on this genre.

babsbendix's avatar

Mon Parfum Cheri, par Camille by Annick Goutal

Maybe I've simply missed it, though I haven't seen mentioned the connection between this fragrance and a long discontinued Goutal from the 1980s, Parfum de Femme.

To my young nose, Parfum de Femme was a strange scent like nothing I'd previously experienced - on the one hand, there was the delicate, dewy, naturalistic character I'd know as a Goutal, and on the other, an earthy dried fruit smell that even leaned a little bit...Band-Aid. The I. Magnin SA took an interest in me when I bought a bottle, because apparently hardly anyone did. I remember her telling me that its main accord - osmanthus - can smell like apricots.

About 20 years later I came into a bottle of Rochas Femme parfum from the middle of the last century. Its strange dusty fruity accord was very, very much like the old Goutal! And now I know that it was actually the Goutal that smelled like the old Rochas.

Mon Parfum Cheri, par Camille is perhaps even more like the vintage Rochas in its dusty, dusky, mellowness - it's a good way towards 180 degrees from being a perky garden-fresh scent. The Rochas bottle I used to have was so old that whatever top notes the juice had once had were long gone, and it was a little flat; Mon Parfum Cheri is what I'd imagined vintage Femme would smell like if it were fresh, and it is simply divine! I actually wear it for daytime and don't find it too strong or too formal or too any of the things I've heard said about it by people who respected it, but maybe didn't "feel" it. I think one's history and context especially matter with a distinctive fragrance like this one, because it IS sort of odd. I've now had decades to get used to what I believe must be the chemical known as Prunol, so it smells pleasant and familiar to me now.

I have the EDT, and have yet to smell the EDP.

Ezra's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

Fresh, hot, sexy, masculine and captivating .
    A little more intense, Eau Extreme is a well done flanker, but do not expect innovation. Citrus opening of traditional Allure Sport, with a slight hint of mint mixed with mandarin orange, which gives a more citrus tone. Making it juicy and tart. The body pepper in the same way with less intensity, but to get to the bottom the tonka bean dominates the fragrance; with a touch of musk and sandalwood providing comfort and creaminess. It's a very versatile fragrance.

shushkin's avatar

Orange Spice by Pell Wall Perfumes

This is definitely for citrus lovers. Its not sweet but refreshing and zingy. I can smell the zest of the fruit. The spice notes are quite low key which is a shame as I would have loved them to have been more present. Warm sweet citrus and spices is a combination very hard to resist. I do like it though. For a citrus fragrance the sillage and particularly the longevity are impressive. Its a shame my fella doesnt like it on me. It might make a fab pressie for my brother though.

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

Yerbamate is a very nice and complex fragrance with sweet and musky green start, woody and floral mid and finally musky earthy base.

At the opening I can smell a sweet green herbal scent with some floral notes in the background.
    The sweetness is warm and very sensual that beside warmth and and sweet smell it has some sort of powdery feeling. this sweet feeling remind me of soil sugar's smell and taste but in powdery form not solid small cube shape! there's small amount of musk beside this powdery sweetness as well but not too much.
    For unknown reason this powdery green and slightly floral opening gives the scent a well known aura of iris (at least to my nose!) which is very nice.

In the mid that green feeling settles down and sweetness amps up a little bit. now some woods joining in. the woody smell is bitter and dry with soft peppery aspect that gives the scent a really nice masculine kick.
    The powdery feeling and soft floral notes still kicking in this part and you can feel them.

In the base I get a semi sweet musky, soft woody and slightly earthy smell that is completely close to the skin and hard to detect.
    Projection is above average and longevity is around 5 hours on my skin but after 3 hours it sticks to the skin and even yourself can barely smell it.

Nosey49's avatar

One by Smell Bent

This one is another good offering from Smell Bent. Mostly sweet. The ingredients blend well but, as with most Smell Bent fragrances, don't really develop. What you get at first smell you pretty much get at last smell.

Both sillage and longevity are very good.

Klaaon's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis

I was encouraged by the positive reviews and took a dive and blind bought when I chanced upon it. I agree that this is a different take on Rose and it is balanced with good projection and longevity.

My main issue is that contrary to the reviews below, this sits fairly close to the skin for me and longevity is only average. This was not what i come to expect especially for an oud/rose/incense scent.

Calligraphy Rose also leans toward the gourmand in a turkish rose/ Bandung rose syrup way... and I personally do not take well to gourmands.

randydjack's avatar

Five by Smell Bent

Nehhhh.

This starts off promising; it initially smells quite a bit like pencil, but somewhere in there the caramel and "aged tobacco" mix together to form what I can only describe as V8.

The notes come together to form this weird vegetal scent on my skin.

Pass.

hedonist222's avatar

Benjoin 19 by Le Labo

Very little benzoin
    Little olibanum
    Little amber
    A lot of disappointment

I should've prefaced this by saying I own 10 le labo bottles.
    I love le labo & had high hope for Benjoin 19.

landshark321's avatar

Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

Tonka Imperiale is among the most-hyped contemporary fragrances so it's difficult to manage expectations. I find it pleasing but not overwhelming in terms of projection, and very agreeable in that it walks the sweet/masculine balance very well, making it effectively unisex.

Tonka, vanilla, and nuts are the main notes, with some subservient tobacco and incense in the base. Beyond that, opinions vary on which notes factor in most, lending credence to the notion that it's a complex fragrance that goes in many different directions. I get incense, and a little tobacco, with the herby notes evident throughout (like jasmine). Apart from the more citrus-heavy opening, I didn't experience a lot of evolution on my skin, which isn't bad, since the scent is quite pleasant.

The sweet incense aspect reminds me of Imaginary Authors' Memoirs of a Trespasser, though Tonka Imperiale rings more formal, perhaps due to the sharpness of the bergamot and jasmine.

Projection is good but not great for an EDP (the Guerlain name, and price at $260 for 75ml, make me yearn for a little more, even if not up to the Tom Ford power house stratum), but longevity is pretty strong at 8+ hours, hardly weakened by a shower in the middle.

Certainly worth of much of its attention (though I'd argue not all), Tonka Imperiale provides a great balance that, while leaning toward cold weather slightly, seem so to me to have year-round and both formal/fun versatility.

8 out of 10

Rosa Nigra by Unum

Within the concept of Unum line, which in rough terms drawns a line (pardon the pun) “from darkness/meditation to enlightenment/purification” with a tight connection to spirituality and Medieval Gothic architecture and art, Rosa Nigra is meant to be the third fragrance in order – the brighter, the sweeter, the “purer”. If you want to skip my review: a terrific standout, here and in niche in general. Not my personal favourite of the line, but still great. Although despite the name there is no rose in here, the first fragrance I though of as a rough reference at first was indeed a rose heaven - Lyric Man by Amouage; if my memory serves me correctly about that, I think here I get some similarities, mostly due to the “darkish” treatment of fruity notes, but overall tad quieter here, and less opulent. And honestly far more fascinating, less suffocating, with just the right amount of “weightlessness” and airiness allowing you to experience a really “dimensional” composition.

Anyway, in the first minutes it does overall evoke a rose smell somehow, especially its more dark-carnal and syrupy-fruitier sides, but avoiding any camphorous-soapy effect. Complex on one side, but also totally “straightforward”, almost simple on the other. Basically it’s a sort of bright and uplifting fruity-herbal sandalwood scent with velvety floral nuances and a warm base with powdery-vanillic hints. More fruity at first, with an incredibly nice smelling peach note (vintage Piguet’s Visa somewhere there...) showing a slight aqueous substance, surrounded by juicy flowers, leafy herbal angles and enriched by sandalwood. A clean texture, substantial but elegantly balanced between crisp sharpness and balsamic exoticism, wrapped in a sophisticated, warm and enveloping allure (the “trait d’union” among the three fragrances – a dusty, vanillic, slightly fruity ambery accord). On the drydown, quite the same but woodier, more discreet, somehow muskier too. Dense, rich, incredibly refined and appealing, deeply fascinating, with an undisputable high quality of materials and an irresistible feel of peace and radiance... still, with an austere, and kind of dark vibe, like the other two scents of this line. “Dark” in a “liturgical” meaning, if that makes sense.

All of this backed with a solid concept: I usually can nearly never stand marketing releases and “storytelling” stuff, which often look like an unnecessary boring load of clichés, but here’s different – just give a look at Rosa Nigra’s page on Unum page while sniffing the perfume, you’ll get what I mean (if you read Italian). There is indeed a solid connection showing the brand’s solid and cultured approach to perfume making. Unum is basically a mixture between dark avantgarde/contemporary aesthetics, Medieval Gothic architecture and culture, a non-banal spiritual discourse and an overall “sacred sense of beauty”. Rosa Nigra perfectly fits some facets of this, as the other two fragrances do with other aspects. Perfect quality to all extents. Bravissimi!

Opus 1144 by Unum

Probably my personal favourite among Unum line, despite the really bold opening which may be off-putting at first. Opus 1144 is inspired by the born of Gothic architecture and art and shall be meant to be a tribute to it; and believe me, if you try a non-prejudicial, “synesthetic” association with the idea of Gothic cathedrals and frescoes and all the cultural implications they were meant to convey, it does trigger an association. Nothing to do with incense or other more “liturgic” aspects, here the reference is the material feel and smell of stones, marble, woods, flowers, candles, paper, which all together create the “meditative majesty” of that artistic style.

The opening is triumphally bold and powerful: a thick, nearly overwhelming dusty-ambery blend (“ambery” à la Goutal’s Ambre Fetiche) with creamy candied-floral nuances (elemi and flowers) and a whole citric-astringent side of citrus and bergamot, perfectly opposing a warm and sweet vanillic base also comprising sandalwood (speaking decently-aged Shalimar here) ... in turn juxtaposed to dirtier, almost skankier notes of benzoin, jasmine, salty ambergris (forget ambroxan, I mean salty, slightly animalic-aqueous ambergris), and something that reminds me of tonka – a sort of sweet-exotic almond touch. Thick, radiant and deep, gourmand-ish on one side (this even comprising a weird sort of balsamic vinaigre feel), almost chypre-sque on the other; slightly waxy - meaning both powdery-iris and leathery as in Lutens’ Cuir Mauresque - monolithic but somehow almost “lascivious” thanks to its softer-darker sides, slightly reminding me of the (few) best aspects of Mona di Orio style – that sort of dusty, antique vibe, just less baroque and more austere (and, ok, uncomparably better executed here).

The drydown is equally great, and for me is quite the key to get the whole beauty of this fragrance. After the citric-vanillic opening it enters a sweeter phase echoing tonka and resins (echoes of “guerlinades” again), then an un expected drift towards an incredibly beautiful powdery-dusty drydown with darker shades that is as much uplifting, peaceful and mesmerizing as looking at the dust floating in the light of a Middle-European cathedral. Complex but so fulfilling from the very first sniff to the very final drydown (Terenzi’s lab made this, and you can smell that). It’s quite hard for me to describe this fragrance, so I’ll just cut it here; as the other two of this line the composition is incredibly well enginereed and harmonic, really compact, it would be enough to say it smells stunning and perfectly connected to the concept behind Unum line, and that’s all.

8,5-9/10

Lavs by Unum

LAVS by Unum is the first scent in (chrono)logical order from this line, meant to represent the “roots” of Unum – which are grounded in L.A.V.S. atelier (“Laboratorio Atelier Vesti Sacre”), a successful Italian tailoring workshop that produces vestments and regalia – even for the last two popes (Benedetto and Francesco). This is actually the aspect of Unum that completely got me; despite being myself agnostic, I can’t help but being terribly fascinated by this. In a market segment ruled by copywriters hired to browse Wikipedia to make up stories and heritages for made-up brands, the idea of a line of scent with such solid, consistent and actual real roots in the field they’re inspired by, is mind-blowing for me. Anyway: LAVS was basically produced as a room fragrance the atelier’s staff used to apply gently on the garments before delivering them to clients and sell as a room scent. Once they realised clients liked to wear it too, Sorcinelli and his team thought about starting a line of fragrances. LAVS is that early non-scent just reworked in a “wearable” form. And just to get straight to the point, it’s an incense scent. A majestic one, a “liturgical” one with a subtle exotic vibe, and despite I am not the most enthusiastic fan of this family of scents, one of the greatest around by far for me. What makes it great, besides an undisputable high quality, is that it finally shows some complexity and some classy, clever work with notes; whereas most of other incense scents just rely on a repetitive and overworked couple of molecules (which smell fantastic, like Givaudan’s Mystikal, or just bare play with Iso E), LAVS is built around a more complex evocation of a liturgical ambiance – the garments, the incense, the rituals, the history, the dust, the cold feel of metal and gold, the intimate relation one establishes with all of this. With some facets evoking more distant references, from coriander to spices, that provide a subtle but palpable sort of pagan, exotic feel.

The main accord is incense though, which smells dark, grey-ish, with a slight ash aftertaste but also breezy metallic nuances, not overly synthetic; and it’s beautifully and perfectly melted into a really airy and uplifting blend which definitely plays the balsamic-herbal-spicy card – I personally get sharp cloves, pepper, coriander and aromatic woods above all. As hours pass it becomes warmer and quieter, still carrying a powerful, and almost intimidating “ritual” feel; a round, mellow and resinous ladbanum-amber note with a hint of dark fruitiness emerges, defining the frame of LAVS and tightly connecting it to the other two scents of this line which contain a similar accord – like a secret sign of masonic brotherhood. So despite being at first clearly a monolithic incense scent, and to this extent being similar to others, it has definitely so much more. If you compare this to other “liturgical” references like Comme des Garçons’ Avignon or Jovoy’s La Liturgie des Heures, you can easily get what I mean. Mostly because as I said, most of other incense scents stop at a more shallow level of “incense-ness”, just recreating and reiterating that same accord which simulates a cliché of incense.

Maybe because LAVS is an extrait de parfum and therefore is also deeper and richer in nuances than Eau de Parfums, or maybe because Sorcinelli and his team know what they’re talking about when they talk “spirituality” ... but LAVS goes just deeper and further than any other, with a passionate, balanced craft work around the nuances of incense. Spices, amber, musk, aromatic woods, flowers, they all discreetly enhance them and they all help to define and deepen incense, like participants in a ritual. Not a thick scent, though, and above all, not “heavy” as you may expect: it’s deep and enveloping, but as regards of its substance, it’s incredibly balanced, really “spacious”. Totally pleasant to wear, even effortless. And well, all that aside since we’re talking about a perfume... the fragrance itself smells great, sophisticated, with a cozy and spiritual mood and a quiet feel of “sacred” austerity. If you’ve a penchant for “meditative” fragrances with a refined look, this may easily sit among your holy grails. Total quality.

8,5/10

Rosa Nigra by Unum

Rosa Nigra, despite its name, is defintely the bright side of Unum. It's a transparent fruity woody concoction that's able to feel aloof and affable at the same time and it's pervaded by a sort of detached sophistication that reaches martial levels. Almost snob and yet, somehow, nice and gracious at that. Rose is more of a suggestion than an actual note but said suggestion is present throughout the fragrance's evolution and it's probably achieved via how they rendered the fruity notes. From the crystal clear and perfectly executed peach-driven opening to the warmer and slightly powdery sandalwood drydown. The peach and the florals perfectly melts together and give birth to a classic accord that, in this context, brings to mind of an hypothetical love-child between Lyric Man and…Samsara? A fragrance for a mature youth which is light-hearted but never superficial, happy but with a darker and more meditative side as well. Just like Opus 1114, Rosa Nigra has a classicism inherent to it that immediately brings to mind of traditional french perfumery but there's also a certain minimalism that speaks about the orient. It's a tight composition that leaves nothing to the case. Calculated and calm, remarkably present but never intrusive. It's a reassuring familiar voice, it's like listening to your own breath, it's the outdoors on a chilly and sunny morning while you breathe at full lungs capacity.

Very good.

Opus 1144 by Unum

Opus 1144 is aimed at celebrating the gothic style. From architecture to sculpture, panel painting, stained glass, frescos, illuminated manuscripts and all its other artistic declinations. It's a bold and complex fragrance that's so hard to describe just like it's so objectively multifaceted.

If you, like me, struggle with sweet fragrances, the opening of Opus 1144 could result a bit challenging for being so incredibly thick and powerful to the point to make yourself questioning your sanity. Forget about any avant-garde trickery or modernist type of perfumery as Opus 1144 is really all about solid classicism. A dense, kind of syrupy, vanillic floral opening juxtaposed to a typically-french citrus counterpart. If you can't deal with its sweetness, I'd say hang in there because the best has yet to come and keep in mind that extraits de parfum are generally slower to properly settle down…

The fragrance starts then to evolve into an opulent and decadent dusty oriental that has nothing to envy to a bunch of the best Amouage feminines (the most balmy-oriental ones such as Opus VI, Epic Woman and Lyric Woman). The overall sweetness of the opening is remarkably tamed down by a plush musky-leathery bone-structure that, together with smooth creamy / woody notes and resins starts lurking in the back to then slowly drive the fragrabce towards what is in my opinion its real essence: the majestic drydown. There's definitely something classically french about Opus 1411, something familiarly comforting while all this is paired to a dark nature that gives this composition a brooding character. Like falling into an abyss of powdery decadence. An endless echo that gets lower and lower in tone as time goes by…and it goes on and on and on for hours…darker, more dusty, drier. It's quintessentially gothic and agrees with red / purple velvet and black marble.

If you're drawn to bold and complex fragrances, Opus 1144 is a mandatory stop and, trust me, it won't leave you indifferent.

Lavs by Unum

When it comes to fragrance, there's nothing more exciting than a new line with a solid concept showing up in this market that seems to be more and more crowded by useless brands and their greed, faux promises of luxury and exclusivity. We often tend to focus on who's considered to be the only star of the fragrance-sphere, the perfumer but, today more than ever, it's really all about the synergy between the curator / artistic director and the *nose*. All you need to hire the *parfumeur du-jour* is a good amount of money but, unfortunately, a skilled perfumer alone is way too often not enough to make a good fragrance…let alone an entire line. We need solid concepts, people with a relevant cultural background and concrete ideas.

Unum has them all. Born from the mind of tout-court artist Filippo Sorcinelli (painter, photographer, musician, church organist and ecclesiastic tailor) and his team at L.A.V.S. (Laus), Unum is definitely one of the most interesting new-comer brands for 2015. A dark / gothic aesthetic with an eye to the future and one to history. An intelligent mixture of avant-garde and tradition that's paradoxically able to be both opulent and sober at the same time. Unum started their range with a trio of fragrances (all in Extrait De Parfum strength) in collaboration with Cererie Terenzi and the result is so solid, that they will stand out no matter what your favorite genre is.

Onto LAVS now…

Formerly a room spray used to scent the ecclesiastic garments that Sorcinelli's atelier L.A.V.S tailored for both Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis amongst several others. Now re-worked into an *extrait de parfum*, LAVS is hands down the definitive catholic liturgical incense. Forget Avignon, Cardinal, La Liturgie Des Heures and all the other similarly themed fragrances. Forget also the more *oriental* takes on the main theme such as Bois D'Encens, Sahara Noir and the plethora of others, LAVS is completely on another level. It's the opulence of a mass in the Basilica Papale, it's the whole ritual, the majesty of gold the smell of sacristy, the canonicals. It's white smoke and resins galore, it's deep and dark but never brooding or funereal…instead it's introspective, meditative and comforting.

It's not a secret I'm a frankincense freak but, honestly, LAVS is a concrete step forward in its genre and a very substantial one for countless reasons. For starters, it's tremendously striking for its incredible evocative power. Its uniqueness, its ability to get so close to the main theme while skipping being too simplistically literal and, last but not least, the quality of the ingredients involved. Boatloads of resins that range from elemi to frankincense via labdanum, myrrh and opoponax concocted around what's one of the best woody bases I've experienced since Bois D'Ascese. Cloves enhances a certain medicinal vibe before settling down and give birth to a clean undertone that gets more and more remarkable as the fragrance evolves into an endless, pure-incense driven drydown which also relies on the most solid woody-ambery (as opposed to *woodyamber*) foundation I've smelt in a while. Forget the usual cedarwood, forget the typical mono-dimensionality of most incense-soliflores, forget those exhausting woodyambers. LAVS is incredibly alive, vibrating and vivid as only this biblical resin can get. Addictive, introspective, dark and deep as well as spacious, airy and yes, even epic.

Saying this fragrance is compelling would honestly be reductive. My personal standout in this line and something I'll never want to be without.

An instant classic.

Lexmilian de Mello's avatar

Davinci Uomo by Davinci

My life goal is to find this scent again... It is like none other!!! I am not sure if it went out of production or still exists - when I received it in 2008 it came in a black gift bag with DaVinci talcum powder, cologne, soap, and other DaVinci toiletries. Quite literally every female that walked by me commented on the wonderful fragrance and guys I approached just felt more comfortable and at ease.

It was not a pungent odour, it was soft and gentle. It smelled like a much improved version of airline/flight-attendant, like-odours. I can't recall the exact scent since my bottle ran out in 2009 and I was never able to find a similar scent since. I am eager to know any information that someone might possess as to where I may find such a magnificent scent again. It was not an intrusive odour, it was pleasing and heavenly bliss. By far the best scent a man can use.

joynerkev's avatar

Old Spice Musk for Men by Shulton

I have had a bottle of this since I received it as part of a gift box when I was 14 years old. I am not an avid wearer of cologne so I have always saved it for various occasions. Now that I am 40 the bottle is running terribly low. As I decided to replace it I was so distraught to find that it was no longer available. My persistence in attempting to find this cologne or at least something like it brought me to this web site and the reviews that were posted claiming that it was still made by a company in India. This gave me hope. So I searched and was again distraught to find that the web sites that sold this product were based in India and only shipped within India. I came back to these reviews to attempt to find some kind of nugget of information that might lead me to a company in the U.S. that still had the stuff or at least retailed from India. All of the reviews speak of the existence of these illusive companies but it almost seems as if people want to make it a big secret because no one is telling.
    Still I am persistent and low and behold I found it! West Coast Shaving not only had Old Spice Musk but at an amazingly cheaper price than I anticipated to have to pay.
    I have always loved this scent. It appeals to me and it works with my body chemistry. I get compliments every time I wear it and so I have bought couple of bottles just so I can wear it a little more often.

flathorn's avatar

Sova by Slumberhouse

Dense, as in the aged fruitcake you open in July. Boozy, heavy, dessicated fruit, flour, rum. Soaked in honey. Thick notes so packed together there is no air or space. And more notes per sniff than you may have fragrance molecule receptors. It's a little Serge Lutens, only more so.
    It's amazing... but I just don't care for the desiccated fruit notes, as I don't in some Lutens. I've never been a fan of fruit cake, wherever I find it. The dry down, where it relaxes and spreads out a little is my favorite part.

Dr Mario's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

I like this scent. It has good longevity, moderate sillage... Sllightly richer of the Hermessence fragrances I have tried (Vetiver Tonka, Santal Massoia, Amber Narguile). A soft gentle gourmand IMO.

My wife upon smelling this fragrance on my wrist described it as a bit fruity, and said that it instantly reminded her of the smell of a strawberry shortcake doll she had as a child, that she would squeeze its belly and it would puff out air (a kiss) in her face. So, take that for what it is.

I find this fragrance slightly more feminine than masculine, but certainly not unwearable by a man. A beautiful scent.

scentsitivity's avatar

Freetrapper by D.S. & Durga

Smells like fur and incense.

Lôtree by Santi Burgas

Amazing minimalist (more than vaguely a la Wonderwood Comme des Garcons in style) musky combination of fresh fluidy bamboo and woods (high quality cedarwood, agarwood and sandalwood). "Pastel" green is the colour of the aromatic liquid. The sparkling freshness from bamboo counteracts the woody natural dryness exuding from the heavy woods while the muskiness soothens the amalgam providing a "spongy" final bed really silvan, mossy and enchanted. Receding the woods dry intensity the general final atmosphere is hightly musky and wet, as a walk across an enchanted forest full of ponds, elfs and faeries. I suppose a touch of cypress resin is included in the blend while seems to detect (at least ostensibly in effects) a touch of radiant ginger and cardamom. The spicy aqueous freshness from bamboo (playing the "watery" role that in CdG Wonderwood was played by cardamom) provides a wonderfully refreshing touch of evocative exoticism (far memories, far lands). Lotree is one of the most realistically boise concoctions ever experienced which strikes me for the hyper true naturalness of the raw materials and for the harmonious grace in which they are "assembled" by Blanca Dalmau in cooperation with Santi Burgas. Recommended.

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

A little lemon, a little ocean salt and a little rotting fish.

The initial spray was lemon water and ocean salt with a faint brine and floral lurking underneath. Not really very pleasant, but not terrible and somewhat fresh. As the lemon water fades the brine water and floral come forward and ruins everything. It goes from fresh to foul pretty fast. The brine water is not salty, but a rotting seaweed or almost fishy smell and there's a synthetic floral note competing with it. After about two hours, I washed it off.

07th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 16th April, 2015)

flathorn's avatar

De Profundis by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I tried this a year ago, and it came across as sober, dry and somewhat gray. I retried it, and it is very nice this time, but pretty different than last year. I read the reviews - De Profundis sounds like a real shape-shifter.
    This time it was light floriental, not bright, but an interesting combination of uncommon flowers that end up having the resonance of a subdued gathering of sweetness, remembrance and memory. I can see its association with funerals. These florals have the feel of notes in quiet conversation. Of shared reminiscence. And hopefulness. Is that the chrysanthemum? A vague undercurrent of smooth incense gives this fragrance a peace and acceptance.
    I'm going to have to try a decant and see if it won't be as variable as it seems right now. At this point I really like it. It has the potential because of its midtone quality and careful modulation and introspection, of being a versatile fragrance that will fit in well with a life.
    The sample I tried this time is the remainder from last year's sampling. Is it possible this fragrance improves with aging?

07th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2015)

Tommy Bahama for Him by Tommy Bahama

Opening reminds me of Polo Black or Double Black. A sickly sweet fruit combination but with melon rather than mango and TB adds a tropical spice. There's something to this that is likeable, but it wouldn't be anything I'd wear beyond a summer vacation or picnic dinner. It does have the TB Caribbean vibe, but the fruit is way too sweet to my liking and it's not very versatile IMO.

Lôence by Santi Burgas

If you are on the earthy-boise and realistically sacramental resins there is no stuff matching this juice around guys. Santi Burgas Loence is a majestic vegetal woody-incensey cocktail combining (as well as accurately reported by Fragrantica) in a single composition three different types of frankincense (Oman, India, Somalia), perfectly associated, in a wonderfully liturgical symphonic accord, with woods (cashmere, patchouli, cedarwood), ginger and juniper berries. No floral, leathery, or sweet patterns in the mix to hamper or deflect the amazing frankincense's smouldering vorticose run, despite the final outcome smells as silky to make us guessing about a touch of included suede. The note of ginger berries (connected with fresh woodsy juniper and fir resins/birch tar) provides by soon aromatic fruity mountainous freshness (with a more than vague dusty mintiness connecting in my mind this masterwork to the equally brilliant- but more properly dry-turpentinic than smoothly incensey- Durbano Black Tourmaline). May be minimal fruity notes and balsams (red berries, opoponax??) enhance the roundness of the sacramental dust which finally appears immensely smooth, silky, balsamic, intellectual, profound, almost edible (but at same time surprisingly versatile and wearable). Probably forest resins are included in the mix since all the perfumed cloud seems permeated by a woodsy-boise balsamic aura. Rarely I've tested on skin such a superb quality in the resinous raw materials and it of course has turned Loence to jump on my "top five incensey concoctions" stage. I detect an incredibly realistic and slightly humid earthy undertone probably provided by a precious rooty "un-hippie" patchouly connected with ginger and further earthy-rooty elements from the wondeful nature (possibly berries, leaves, herbs, vetiver?). There is some smokiness around (from the woods I suppose) but it is never overwelming or steaming. I have no more words to add, just that my first approach with the Santi Burgas creations could not be more "fantastically shocking". Wooden orthodox Cathedrals lost in the cloudy and silent Russian steppe come more than vaguely on mind in a while. This fragrance is furthermore supposed to play as bottom layer for other fragrances of the Burgas line (and not only). Absolutely recommended. Two thumbs up.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Armani Code or Code Black is a very nice fragrance of a common designer house theme using spiced citrus over woods and vanilla. This fragrance is noticeably popular with the younger men that I work with. In fact, they each seem to prefer it to all other scents about 4 of the 5 days in a work week.

Nothing wrong with wearing what you like, but why smell exactly like every other 30 yr old male in your office building?

Neutral for me because it's worn me out.

sjohnjay's avatar

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Let's keep this short, sweet, and highly unoriginal-
    This is nothing more, and nothing less than a poor man's (smart man's) Tobacco Vanille.
    That is all.

07th April, 2015

VanillaIris's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Okay, in my whole life.... I've never smelled anything this awful. The only thing that tops this in terms of how vile it is, is Pure Malt. Honestly, Secretions Magnifiques smells better than this! A*Men and Pure Malt, both smell the same. They smell like a cat urine. Very ammonia scented. On top of that, its smokey and sweet. Just disgusting. If I was next to any man wearing this, i'd probably run the other way. Just my opinion though. Apparently, tons of people like this... I just.... I can't .... I just can't.

07th April, 2015