Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

Jivago 24k Gold by Jivago

This is one of the most feminine beautiful perfumes ever. I would classify it as special occasions. It is too beautiful to wear to work .

212 by Carolina Herrera

I have had this in the past and am ordering again today. It's delightful and stays with me for awhile.

No. 19 by Chanel

This is the only "green" fragrance I have ever liked. I think it is just lovely. The drawbacks are it does not last long and for the price it needs to be with me longer than an hour or two.

tempest moon's avatar

Hermèssence Brin de Réglisse by Hermès

Wonderful authentic, dry, rich burst of Lavender in the opening, full of unmistakable quality... followed by a juicy liquorice note. Very well made.

Brin de Réglisse is Jean-Claude Ellena's take on Lavender, and for this he chose Liquorice - another note which has some olfactive similarities to the herb (he also managed a similar choice of combination with Vétiver Tonka). It's dry, almost caramel like quality pairs with the deep lavender to give a very rich, authentic feel... like standing in a lavender field in summer eating liquorice. The hay is also a wonderful choice here, which really evokes the natural and dry, herbal feel of this fragrance.

I also suspect there may be other notes at play here such as immortelle, with a dry, burnt-sugar and herbal feel, or maybe a hint of vanilla and orange blossom. Either way, Brin de Réglisse has one of the best lavender and liquorice notes in any perfume I've tried. It's transparent, as is Ellena's style. But, much like Vétiver Tonka, although I do like the combination... there are better interpretations of lavender and liquorice in other perfumes out there. Dior's Eau Noire comes to mind, which smells much more authentic than this (it's also a lavender liquorice combo). Overall I do really like this one, I just wished it gave me a little more.

seemon's avatar

Slovenia Slovenia

Essenza di Aoud by Pal Zileri

It's like some Rasasi I don't remember. Grandma's soap extreme.There is definitely rose effect with some fresh wood, incense and oud. Scent is some kind of hollow and watery. Transparent. Imagine random oriental-woody-oud to be applied on wet skin (right out of shower). At start is somehow unisex. After few hours the drydown is a bit better with more depth and more oud.

Touch for Women by Burberry

I just purchased this without testing it. I have actually purchased many things without testing them and have had excellent luck. This was not one of those times. I have never returned a fragrance because I just don't like it at all. It's kind of expensive for air freshener which for me would be its only use. While I like many of the notes, I really do not like this scent at all and am returning it.

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Chypre Mousse (new) by Oriza L. Legrand

A mouse took a stroll through the deep dark wood
    A fox saw the mouse, and the mouse looked good

(From the Gruffalo)

Fascinating perfume. Unique. Inaccessible though. What I mean by that is that you will be scratching your head throughout its development trying to figure out what exactly it is that you're smelling. This is the third time I've worn it and I'm still not 100% that I have the right vocabulary to describe it. What I will say is that this is more of a smell or an experience than a perfume in and of itself. And it is most certainly the type of thing you wear for your own pleasure, rather than expecting it to appeal to anyone else.

The opening is deeply aromatic, with mint, sage, and fennel taking a clear lead. I usually have difficulty with aromatic notes in perfumes, because they are usually so pungent that they draw your mind's eye to nearby items in your bathroom or kitchen, thus distracting you from focusing on the other parts of the composition. Mint is usually the main culprit - it's very difficult for me to smell it without thinking of toothpaste. Cloves and cinnamon remind me of red hots. You get the picture. But here, the aromatics are so well folded into each other than you can't tell where one ends and the other begins, and so the wanderings of your mental associations are sharply corralled back into the perfume itself. The overall effect is of this herbal/aromatic soup reminiscent of (but not exactly recalling) the smell of old-fashioned medicinal balms I remember always hanging around in our medicine cabinet growing up. It's.....interesting. Not unpleasant, but not entirely pleasant either.

It's what this dries down into that pleases and intrigues me. And luckily this one transitions quickly into the heart notes and dry down, from whence it puffs away smartly on your skin for bloody days, if you let it. The smell is all grey lichen and oakmoss, hot rocks baking in the sun, flint, minerals, and salt. It captures the bitter, ink feel of real oakmoss. There is also an underpinning of something earthy/decaying and fungal, which would be the mushrooms and humus, I guess. It's very interesting to me, because it smells exactly like the very last gasps of vintage Mitsouko EDT on my skin - that mineral, grey, salt-lick feel of real oakmoss on skin that is lived-in and sweated-through (by the end of the day). That's the part I most enjoy about Mitsouko, and here you get it for hours and hours rather than just at the end.

But actually, despite the mossiness and the "Chypre" in the name, the whole feel of this is completely opposite to the feel of traditional chypres. Traditional chypres are abstract, stuffed, baroque-scaled compositions where the hand of the perfumer is at its most detectable. They follow a strict formula of bergamot, labdanum, and an animalic oakmoss/musky base (with neo-chypres substituting patchouli or some other woody approximation of real oakmoss these days). This one feels like a bunch of notes from the forest floor just got up and walked into the perfume. It feels utterly natural, sparse, and unmanned. Like you licked a hot rock in the forest clearing one day, for no good reason. It's weird and wonderful. I am not so enamored of the opening, but this is thankfully short-lived, and I absolutely adore the protracted dry down. Anyone who is interested in chypres or oakmoss compositions should absolutely try this one, of course, but I would also recommend this to people who are on the lookout for perfumes that are both novel and beautiful.

promqueen's avatar

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron

I don't know where people are getting aldehydes in this...this is a straight up floral blend,
    appropriate at all times and nice in warm, even hot, weather. Never too cloying

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme by Bottega Veneta

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme has not impressed me despite I can't label it as properly horrendous as done by the admirable deadidol (one of the best Basenoters for sure in my humble opinion). You can by soon notice this fragrance is a leather based experiment but I feel by soon hints of citric and aromatic (juniper berries) patterns whereof the freshness is by soon overwhelmed by a warm (and somewhat oppressive) plastic leather/resins accord frankly boring and uninspired. You can detect the patchouli for sure, an aromatic (in a pale way) sort of lemony greeness and a final somewhat gummy resinous base endly soothed by a synthetic silky touch of leather. The aroma is un-realistic and dull with an insufficient level of complexity and articulation. Not so horrible as the inadmissible Bottega Veneta Essence Aromatique (skanky burnt plastic and hyper synthetic floral greeness) but basically a mediocre fragrance in my opinion.

sjohnjay's avatar

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

Smells like my cat after coming inside, from being out in the snow.

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Quite unlike what I expected having being promised rose and jasmine in the heart of this perfume. Instead the bright headnotes of citrus and lavender merged immediately with a sharp cedar and what Tauer calls ‘balm of oriental woods’ (something resinous and incensy at any rate) to give a curious pickled lemon opening which went via the carpenter’s shop and the medicine cabinet into a drydown that was dry, somewhat more rounded, sweetened slightly, less pungent and urgent. It kind of fits with the ‘le Maroc’ of my imagination (I’ve never been) – dry, powerful, the smell of stalls packed together, selling leather and wooden wares, carpets, spiced concoctions and local cosmetic preparations. Much later an oily jasmine got off its fat backside and made its voluptuous appearance.
    Something of a head trip and a statement, so definitely not a casual perfume.

Flor y Canto by Arquiste

A limpid, summery tuberose-magnolia combo with a hair spray aura. Wears soft and easy, but too much of a simpleton in cheap attire.

Dark Aoud by Montale

A bit surprising that this made its appearance so late in the day in Montale’s oud series as it is quite the archetypal ‘Arabic’ masculine scent – variants of which I have encountered emanating from Arab men. Intense, focussed, going ‘Daddy!’ with full-throttle phwoaar.
    The concentration is what will first hit the wearer. This is a perfume that is pretty single minded: it makes a hell of statement with a full-on smoky, spicy, intensely woody, oud accord. Dry, with some sharp (as opposed to creamy) sandal in the base, and with great tonal variation in the overall effect, Dark Aoud is rich and thrilling. It has such an enlivening effect, it’s almost aphrodisiacal. However it does flatten quite considerably after about half a day’s wear (when in terms of volume it is still going strong), by which time a certain post-aphrodisiacal tiredness may ensue. Use sparingly for maximum enjoyment.

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Emerald Reign by House of Sillage

The younger sister of "Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan" and also "Tom Ford Amber Absolute"
    Almost identical specially with Ambre Sultan.
    The opening is a warm, sweet, spicy, woody and resinous amber scent that smells very nice and sensual but completely familiar.
    As times passes by I'm getting a smooth sweet amber/vanilla combo mixed with kind of honey sweetness and some spices and woods in the background.
    Projection is strong and longevity is around 7-8 hours.
    If you like the bottle and you want to pay big price for that, go for it. but if you want to get the juice inside, go and get "Amber Sultan" instead which is waaaaay cheaper than this and it gives you exactly the same smell, quality and performance.

Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Genre: Floral/Citrus

Eau de Magnolia opens on bright bergamot and effervescent aldehyde top notes that meld quickly and seamlessly into its central magnolia blossom reconstruction. I say “reconstruction” because the magnolia has the sort of hyper-realistic quality I associate with headspace technology, which I understand perfumer Carlos Benaim employed in composing this scent. The reconstruction itself may be complex, but the fragrance’s overall structure is extremely simple and straightforward: lifelike magnolia, citrus, a touch of cedar, and a clean white musk. (I smell none of the listed patchouli, vetiver, or moss.) In its clarity and buoyancy – if not its content - this structure parallels classic eaux de Cologne formulae, so the “Eau” label strikes me as thoroughly appropriate. Buoyant and effervescent it may be, but Eau de Magnolia has more tenacity than a traditional eau de Cologne. The aldehydic magnolia and citrus accord persists for a solid four hours on my skin, before the musk and cedar take over for pleasantly brisk, clean drydown.

Magnolia blossoms have a citrus-like quality to their scent to begin with, and because Benaim’s composition enhances and accentuates this citrus facet, Eau de Magnolia reads as less gender-specific than many another soliflore fragrance. Highlighting the lemony facet of magnolia also leaves this scent straddling the imaginary line between floral and citrus fragrances. That said, Eau de Magnolia does not have the “hard candy“ quality I’ve come to associate with low-grade fruity floral compositions. If I can fault it at all, it is for being too literal a rendering of the magnolia blossom, which leaves it smelling at times more like a room spray or a candle* than a through-composed personal fragrance. Still, it is a cheerful, refreshing, sparkly-eyed scent that both men and women can enjoy for summer wear.

*If you enjoy this magnolia reconstruction, you can find its like in the Frédéric Malle Jurassic Flower candle, also composed by Carlos Benaim.

rbl1990's avatar

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

Permanently borrowed this from my father when I was a young teenager, but it should have stayed in his collection! What was I thinking when I put this on at that age? This scent is woody (to my nose: cedar) as all get out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Poor to average longevity and sillage. A good smell more suited towards matured fellows in my opinion.

Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne by Alt-Innsbruck

As an aftershave cologne combo, this can't be beat. I'm not even sure there's any others in the same category as this. It's really an excellent menthol/alcohol blast aftershave that is akin to Osage Rub, or some other highly mentholated aftershaves out there, it's a BLAST. Absolutely perfect for summer shaves. The scent is kind of powdery floral. Semi-sweet. I really haven't ever smelled anything like it. I hesitate to say this, but there's something that reminds me of my grade school box of school supplies here. Maybe an eraser......I'm not sure....but something is there that reminds me of that. It's a good smell though. Not the greatest and its pretty linear, but that aftershave blast that comes with it makes this easily one of the best options out there. Try it. The entire Wet Shaving community swears by this stuff for a reason.

rbl1990's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

The opening note is a blast of citrus/lemon grass/citronella. Some people tell me this note smells like bug spray and others are obsessed with the freshness. Reminds me a lot of Acqua di Parma Colonia. I tend to always be hot and where other colognes come out super strong but then fade away quickly, Original Vetiver has staying power. 1 spray on the back of my neck lasts a solid 6 hours! Most I've ever used was 3 sprays (back of neck, lower chest, 1/2 on back of knees) and it started to be cloying.

I'm in my 20's and my gf (22) loves this smell! I'd say some scents are definitely for the matured crowd, this is not one in my opinion. JFK sported it and wooed Marilyn Monroe...end of story (look it up!).

Other than it being the only "vetiver heavy" cologne I have, it is the biggest "change up" in smell in my collection.

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

Best pine fragrance in my opinion. I got the 17 ounce bad boy on this one. It is completely understandable how this one has the following it does around the world. If I had only one cologne, I'd probably want Agua Brava.

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Minty Pine. People compare this to Pino Sylvestre, and Aqua Brava. I see that. The significant difference to my nose, is that this one has lots of mint. If you like a minty pine. Also, this one goes well in the warmer weather, better than Brava and Sylvestre. It doesn't last as long as an EDT, but it's longevity is pretty typical of cologne's.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Modern classic. Everyone loves it for a reason. It sprays probably too much so it goes down fast. Also, it doesn't last as long as it used to. Perry Ellis Red is Di Gio, but better. Di Gio is still Di Gio though. Thumbs up.

1776 Russian Leather by Elsha

I have Pinaud Bay Rum and Ogallala Bay Rum. Also, Knize ten, some other leather types. I get no leather from this one. It's all Bay Rum. I like bay rum, but I'm not keen on false advertising. It's a subdued Bay Rum. Very close to the skin, not overpowering and lasts a long time. It's good quality, just can't see why its considered a leather.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

In White by J del Pozo

I bought this completely blind based only on reviews. Most seemed to say it was creamy ,white floral,and a possible dupe for Dior Pure Poison. As I've tested the Dior one a few times while shopping and found it to be pleasant enough ,when I saw this available on ebay for a steal , I pounced.

Success!
    I DO like it! Though I seem to be getting a scent that reminds me of a softer touch more floral Bvlgari Black( new flanker?).Seriously ,if I didn't know otherwise I'd think this to be one of Menardo's works. This "feminine" could probably work quite nicely as a unisex ,especially if the guy likes some of the floral masculine scents already . Bottle style is sort of graphic looking , a pearlized white sphere sandwiched between two lucite discs. So no froufrou phobias to try to overcome in getting this.

kingofengland's avatar

Corsica Furiosa by Parfum d'Empire

A blast of dry greenness, galbanum and possibly lentisque. The green quality is very leguminal, suggesting fresh peapods as well as, presumably, the vegetation of Corsica. As it dries down it seems to veer vaguely towards Aramis before depositing the obligatory dose of synthetic cedar, though that is mercifully faint. The general style recalls Sisley's Eau de Campagne, with a similar type of green note, but less floral.

drseid's avatar

Eau Ambrée by Chabaud Maison de Parfum

Eau Ambree opens with slight green sharp orange citrus and lemony bergamot. As the composition moves to its early heart the bergamot takes over, now coupling with mild powdery amber and iris as the composition turns relatively sweet, derived from benzoin rising from the base. During the late dry-down the composition eschews most of its sweetness, leaving the gentle powder and traces of a leathery suede spicy trail through the finish. Projection is below average with the composition just more than a skin scent and longevity just below average at about 6-7 hours on skin.

Eau Ambree's name is very apropos as the perfume comes off as mild, lightly spiced bergamot-laced sweet amber. The composition is almost too formal in its subtlety, sometimes reminding one of baby powder but even less aggressive if that can be believed. The lemony bergamot provides a good counter to the amber, keeping the composition somewhat fresh, but in the end something seems too familiar here. All-in-all, Eau Ambree is a pleasant enough light amber outing that is most certainly pleasant but far from memorable. Fans of compositions like Endymion by Penhaligon's may enjoy it more than I but the bottom line is Eau Ambree's relatively boring nature keeps me from recommending it without reservation, earning it an "above average" rating of 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Genre: Soft Porn

Mine smells better.

Sécrétions Magnifique hardly lives up to it's provocative ad copy or its puerile packaging. No semen, no sweat, no blood, and nothing animalic here: just a powdery, milky white floral composition garnished with an unpleasantly cloying note that smells of stagnant water. When I was an adolescent, my bedroom was host to over a dozen aquaria. They smelled like this when they needed cleaning. Achieves distinction only in being at once dull and repulsive.

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

Genre: Woods

Like Etro's Vetiver and Maitre Parfumeur and Gantier's Route du Vetiver, this is an uncompromising, undiluted, earthy take on vetiver root. The vetiver attack is sharp and immediate, with a tart grapefruit accent and just a touch of aromatic herbs to lend it depth. The "sel" component comes in a bit later, in the guise of faint phenol and an iodine note that's not too far removed from certain Islay single malt whiskies - Talisker and Laphroaig come to mind.

Like Route du Vetiver, Sel de Vitiver slowly rounds out and mellows over time, but never becomes bland or insipid. It's a spare, trimmed-down scent, with nothing extraneous in its composition. Once the heart accord settles in, it doesn't seem to develop all that much. That's alright though, since the accord is both distinguished and appealing in its unconventional way.

Scent 79 for Men by Jil Sander

Genre: Leather

When Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez praise a men’s fragrance to the skies, I get curious, and then I prepare myself for disappointment. More often than not, their idea of a “great masculine” coincides closely with my idea of boring as hell. (Some exceptions: Derby, Exhale, Dia, Or Black, Cuir Pleine Fleur.) Imagine my shock when their glowingly reviewed Scent 79 turned out to be one of the best smelling things I’ve tried in months!

Mark Buxton’s Scent 79 is a dry, green floral – woody composition that’s not too far removed in spirit from Givenchy’s Insensé or Paco Rabanne’s Ténéré. It’s drier and more angular than either of those great masculine florals, yet also more transparent. As it evolves Scent 79 takes on a smoky character that echoes both Buxton’s earlier work for Comme des Garçons and Bertrand Duchaufour’s austere incense fragrances like Dzongkha and Avignon. I find Scent 79 especially remarkable for combining light weight and clarity with tremendous projection. How any fragrance can be at once so potent and so transparent is a fascinating puzzle to me.

Scent 79 is linear in its progress, which is fine with me, since I enjoy the principle accord it establishes. The stuff persists for hours then slowly fades into a drydown of cedar, leather, and smoky vetiver. Very nice work, this one!

Italian Bergamot by Ermenegildo Zegna

Gorgeous translucent exotic minimalistic combination of bergamot, probably ginger, neroli and vetiver plus aromatic patterns (mint, basil??) and woods. Bergamot and quality vetiver are in Italian Bergamot combined in to a vaguely salty breezy and "windy" combination in the "The Different Company"'s style with a more than vague "recall" about an ideal blend of Divine Bergamote and Sel de Vetiver. All the elements are extremely balanced, bright, airy, freshly citrusy, slightly rosey, elegantly combined in to a classy mediterranean sparkling balance. Utterly recommended.

02 July, 2014

Feromone pour Homme by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Feromone Pour Homme appears me such a lightweight after having "dealed" before with the La Via del Profumo's Castoreum and overall (fecal) Zibetto oils since the overmentioned FPH seems to sound like a well balanced ambery chypre with a touch of animal leathery-resinous castoreum and a sort of almost edible "baked" undertone. The opening is compelling with its almost boozy-eliotropic whiff of bright ambergris and suede almost exotic, sweaty and visceral. The pheromonical ambergris-castoreum accord is orchestrated over a mossy-woody boise main basic agreement. The ambergris is soft, initially powdery-dry than vaguely greasy, sort of "roasted chips like" and musky while the general aroma itself is wearable, vaguely herbal aromatic and softly woody (it seems to detect vetiver together with sandalwood). After a while (along the final stage) the warmth from castoreum jumps up and you finally understand why this fragrance is a pheromonical blend. In this final phase you catch a sort of warm carnal woody "baked"saltiness combined with the ambery mild powder and oakmoss. I still detect that vague roasted salty oily undertone over the musky-ambery-woody bed but the aroma does not evolve too much going on somewhat steady and uncomplicated throughout. More than a fully structured fragrance this aroma works like an attractive trail, an intimate sign, a vague perfumed mark combined with corporeal warmth and soft mild sweat. Not the best olfactory Dubrana's fatigue but a must try for sure if you want to smell attractive and reassuring.

02 July, 2014