Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

michailG's avatar

Barkhane by Téo Cabanel

I recently purchased the sample pack by Téo Cabanel's very nice online service. I must congratulate them because the care they put in those sample packs (for 11,5€) is quite rare. Having tried only three of their perfumes I can already say that I find Barkhane quite enchanting. An oriental sweet vanillic gournand (a bit boozy even) with above average silage and longevity (more than 6 hours), and with an exceptionally pleasant almost addictive dry down. Unfortunately it is this dry down that captivates me therefore I can't say that Barkhane is an overall remarkable creation. It is not to my taste anyway. What I can say is that it shouts old school richness and depth, and it must be composed by high quality ingredients.

RHM's avatar

03. Apr. 1968 by Rundholz Parfums

Love it but I adore incense-centric fragrances and have quite a few. This is pared down luxury and frankly, "perfect" for what it is. It doesn't do somersaults on the skin, no olfactory acrobatics here....just cool, calm but define "presence".
    Try a sample first & be advised, a little goes a long way & more is, well, MORE and that is not necessarily a good thing.

As much as I enjoyed this, the sample is enough for now. I purchased their second scent, Sept. 21, 1966 but we don't have this one listed here, as of yet.

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Orange Star by Tauer

Orange Star is another superb fragrance from Andy Tauer. It starts with a full blast of citrus, (mandarin and orange). The dry down is a mix of citrus, vanilla, ambergris and tonka bean. Very pleasant fragrance, with very good silage and longevity. Like all other Tauer fragrances spray with caution, only 2-3 should be enough for this powerhouse.

rbaker's avatar

Citrus Musk by Pinaud

The top notes are as expected: lime, lemongrass and bergamot - refreshing indeed. The drydown has a hint of white florals, but I am getting mainly jasmine and some carnation. The musk enters as a middle note but it is in the base when it comes to the fore, added to some woodsy notes and a dash of vanilla.

A nice refreshing scent for warmer autumn or cooler summer days, with adequate sillage, limited projection and less than two hours of longevity in the after shave, a bit more in the EdC. Well done overall.

cheshiredave1's avatar

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

I've not read every single review yet, but has nobody mentioned the similarity to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin? Which I guess is liquorice and vanilla, in essence. Maybe a bit of smoke.

I don't have a super-sensitive sense of smell, so I am probably not picking up any small differences that others may find.

I need to do a more precise side-by-side comparison, but I think LL just wins by a nose - no pun intended.

As for Bulgari Black comparisons, my BB spray mech jammed (the twiest and spray thing) so I can't remember tat oen too well.

The vanilla - or should I say tonka? - means it lasts a good while and 'clings' to clothes, so bear in mind.

scentmad99's avatar

La Religieuse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have just tried this on the back of my hand and I love it. Very jasminey - a sweet/sharp accord that I love with a beautifully balanced musky note. I loved it at first sniff and an hour later, it has developed rather wonderfully and I am still smitten.

I am a SL fan and for me this is something I know I will wear a lot. It is a different kind of SL, in that this is probably a little sharper than the usual SL signatures but by god I love it's composition. It's got a green freshness to it as well as the jasmine, musk notes and it's something that I really like in perfume, a contrast is always interesting to my nose. And whilst this is new to my collection I am already sure I will drain this bottle in no time. A real winner for me.

Le Tabac by L'Antichambre

Le Tabac strikes as a very competent sweet boozy tobacco composition that could have easily been one of the most accomplished *Frapins* or even an hypothetical Kilian. Sort of an ambery fruitchouli with a consistent pipe-tobacco twist. Sweet, well rounded and smooth and with enough body to remark its presence throughout the day.

Now, with very few exceptions made, I'm not really into these kind of fragrances but if you are, this surely delivers.

odioustoilet's avatar

Aromadisiac for Him by Avon

This is a simple scent.
    Rather straightforward, not complex but yet it does not seem like "just another scent"

Avon seems to put out some scents that are nice but fall short on projection, lately I've revisited Avon's Turn 4XT along with Christian Lacroix's Noir too.

Aromadisiac, like the aforementioned scents sits close to the skin and is gone within 6-7 hours.

No leather to my nose either, it is figgy but it's a dark fruit, something made for cooler weather.
    That darkness is hard to describe, I sorta get a powder-like vibe in the background.

That powdery aroma is the same kind I get from Avon's Mesmerize for Men and Black Suede Leather.

Epicéa by Creed

A grand fragrance indeed! Epicea reminds me of something the 17th Century Russian aristocracy would have worn (along with their fur kaftans and leather boots before Peter the Great forced them to adopt silk shoes, bows, knickers, silk stockings, and powdered wigs) around a fire in an ancient pine forest perhaps roasting a wild boar. The pine, smoke, and birch tar are founded in powdery, slightly sour ambergris and slightly sweet, but still robust musk.

Irisia by Creed

Good quality juice--a heady, white floral aroma. Unfortunately, no iris in sight. No much different that your standard fare 1970s women's white florals.

Musc by Molinard

Not really a musk fragrance--more of a strong, sweet, powdery patchouli and amber scent. Nice, natural feel, but far from the musk I was expecting.

hedonist222's avatar

Misia by Chanel

It starts out with a dense rooty iris note.

Shortly, the rooty iris is candified with violet & rose.
    Lipsticky but not very feminine.

This is what I smell via projection.

On my skin I smell a faint birch tar/galbanum accord.

Very very nice.

odysseusm's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme Intenso by Dolce & Gabbana

Except for the aquatic notes, the list sounds promising...
    On application:
    Sweet.
    Aquatic which for me equates to chill-synthetic. A frosty blast with little redeeming or natural features.
    Simple.
    Vague notes at the edge of lavender, basil, but the whole concoction smells so labby and faux that I can't imagine why on earth anyone would enjoy it.
    Bleh.

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Never thought I would like this. Pine resin, pipe tobacco, cigarette ash, brown sugar and some hitherto undescribed species of acrid citrus fruit. Quorum is a living thing that wafts about you in a multifaceted powerhouse cloud. I suspect that most women dislike it with a vengeance, my wife certainly does. Oh, well, I will just keep it on my shelf and admire the bottle, it's a minor design masterpiece.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Mugler Cologne opens up as a carbon copy of Creed's Original Vetiver. Where OV stays green though, Mugler Cologne gets overcasted with neroli for the most part. Credit where it's due, to go from vetiver to neroli so smoothly, almost unnoticeably is outstanding. My problem is that I don't care for neroli. You like neroli, vetiver? You will love this. The vetiver in here is more soapy, more like Guerlain's Vetiver (current formulation), than it is green. I prefer a darker and earthier vetiver tone, which I don't get here.

Undoubtedly though, this is a clean gentleman's fragrance. Sophisticated and refined. This is John Varvatos Artisan, meets Guerlain Vetiver, or Creed's OV.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

I'd like to think of this fragrance as a fusion between different Creeds, specifically Silver Mountain Water, and Tabarome Millesime. The overall scent has some similarities to Green Irish Tweed and Selection Verte although the notes breakdown is different save for the ambergris. Some of the notes from these other scents I mentioned (SMW and TM) were used into making Green Valley. In the opening I detected citrus, bergamont, and black currant which gave off a fresh citrusy green opening. Even though these notes weren't listed, I also got some violetleaf and herbal notes. It’s kind of like a green version of Silver Mountain Water. In the mid, the citrus and bergamont started to fade while the ginger, ambergris, and musk begin to creep into the front. At this point the scent began to smell less natural and more synthetic smelling. This is where I find direct comparison to Tabarome Millesime because of the strong ginger/ambergris/musk drydown. Towards the end, I want to say it was a little bit powdery and sweet perhaps a dab of vanilla and tonka bean notes were added in the composition of the scent. The scent lasted about six hours, with silage being moderate for the first several hours before staying closer to the skin. This would be good daytime scent preferably for the spring and summer months. Wonderful scent from Creed!

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Dries Van Noten is a bit of a head-scratcher for me. I've been through two samples and half a travel mini of it trying to figure out why it is not pushing any of my buttons when – on the face of it – it should have been a slam dunk for me. After all, I am a fan of many of the Editions de Parfums de Frederic Malle, I love sandalwood and creamy gourmands, and I happen to be a massive fan of the work of the designer Dries Van Noten. But I keep coming back to the same conclusion: Dries Van Noten just doesn’t smell as exceptional or as unusual as you might expect from a perfume that costs €190 a bottle.

In particular, there is an unappetizing, quasi-gourmand smell to this that is off-putting to me. Something in the combination of the musk, cashmeran, saffron, and woods brings to mind the oily but also floury smell of ground nuts mixed with spices used as a dry mix for making walnut crescents, a traditional cookie throughout the Balkans, Turkey, and Georgia. Ground walnuts are so popular where I live that most housewives will use them as a replacement for flour in their cakes. This almost savory, mealy smell pervades even the smallest of corner grocery stores. Personally, I find the smell as unexciting as the cookies themselves, which always seem to crumble into an insubstantial dust the moment you lips touch them. Much of Dries Van Noten smells like this to me, hence my lack of enthusiasm.

The vanilla and the woods in the base offer a pleasant creaminess, but to my nose, there is also a very synthetic-smelling surround system at work. The musky, fresh-paint smell I get must be cashmeran, which is not something I find unpleasant per se. But when it is coupled with a sugary cotton candy note (ethyl maltol), it all proves to be one synthetic too far for the delicate sandalwood.

And as a sandalwood lover, the sandalwood note here is a disappointment – it lacks all of the nuanced and varied tones I have grown accustomed to in fragrances such as Bois des Iles and Santal Majuscule. I am far from a Mysore sandalwood snob – I don’t mind if neither the Chanel nor the Lutens I just named contain a single drop of the original Mysore stuff. What I appreciate about those perfumes is that they use an array of notes to suggest the full range of the smell of real Mysore sandalwood – the sweet, the creamy, the slight lactic sourness, green aspects, and rosy notes – thereby making an artistic statement rather than just a grouping together of raw materials. Much has been made of the use of Mysore sandalwood in Dries Van Noten. But since it doesn’t shine in this composition, I wonder why they bothered.

But most of all, I am mystified as to why a designer as eccentric and as bold as Dries Van Noten has been honored by a perfume so essentially boring. I’d understand if his clothes were ‘beige’ or safe, but they are not. Dries van Noten is a daring and much-admired designer who combines ideas from art and architecture with his design approach.

I remember in particular his 2008 Spring/Summer collection, in which he used the colors and aesthetics of Francis Bacon paintings as a starting point for the clothes – all unhealthy flesh tones contrasted with jewel-like blues and greens. The clothes looked strange but also exciting and -gasp! Somebody call Anna Wintour! – wearable. When I fantasize about having the budget for designer clothes, I always think longingly of this particular collection. So, with all the signs of an urbane, world-traveled designer in front of them, why they decided to make his fragrance smell like raw cookie dough mix is a mystery to me.

Darvant's avatar

L'Ame d'un Héros by Guerlain

L'Ame d'un Heros is a revisitation of the classic Coriolan in a more suave, yes "polished" and gentle "format" (as previously underlined). A less peppery-herbal and more rounded Guerlain Coriolan's version. You can easily recognize the central aromatic-coniferous chypre accord of juniper, bergamot, woods, fir resins, oakmoss and nutmeg providing the aroma with a sort of dry melancholic woodsy-hesperidic twist (in my opinion still really virile and woody) enhanced in intensity by a romantic floral feel (neroli, hyacinth) and a touch of exotic ylang-ylang. I don't detect frankly the note of immortelle while catch a touch of reduced peppery piquancy in line with the woodsy-hesperidic intense and warm general atmosphere. I'm sure some sandalwood is included in the recipe while the note of vetiver provides that typical sort of "ostensibly salty" undertone. A really warm (finally drier) and "solitary" fragrance finally almost musky organic (a lot of similarities with the ASAQ Sheikh Anas Blend's musky-floral dry down warmth)

JugtownHero's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I keep hearing this is for young men. I am 50 years old and love this cologne. I wear this and Cool Water like crazy and I get compliments on both of them. When I run low I buy more and more of it. If I live to be 70 years old I will still be wearing it.

Darvant's avatar

Sheikh Anas Blend by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi

A supreme balsamic rosey soapiness characterizes almost the entire evolution of this musky exotic blend (before a more dry-spicy-earthy floral ambergris finally takes the role of protagonist). Sheikh Anas Blend opens by soon with all its "apparatus" of balsamic oudh-musk, oakmoss, flowers absolute, bright aerial spices (kurkuma and cumin I suppose), balsams and ambergris. The atmosphere is by soon typically soapy, laundry-floral and aromatic and I can enjoy a "lightweight" of resins, spices and musks. A general muskiness "leads" the aroma till when the role of floral notes and ambergris stars to stand out within a less soapy and more restrained (and structured) ambery-floral scent (warmer, woody veined, intensely floral in a "melancholic" way, somewhat "salty", more shadowy and spicy-organic). In this final phase the aroma is more subtle, close to skin and sophisticated (in a more properly "western" way). Frankly this final stage provides more personality to a juice otherwise overly balsamic and hard to be identified in its peculiarity. To conclude I have to say that, despite the quality of this juice is undeniable (in line with the whole ASAQ's line), I'm not particularly impressed by its aroma in terms of personality and originality. Anyway the dry down is really soft and light with its warm floral organic wake while the "raw materials" are of the best quality (in line with a genuine arabic "idea" of modern perfumery). Enjoy.

Oviatt's avatar

Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed

Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie is a rich floral that certainly has jasmine in it, but is not a jasmine soliflore. The bright bergamot opening is over in a flash and the florals--rose and jasmine--come together and smell much more like hyacinth to me. The house note of ambergris lends a slightly salty element and the vanilla and sandalwood base give it a creamy, oriental finish. The funny thing is that to me, this 145 year old fragrance smells a lot like two modern hyacinth-heavy classics, Estee Lauder's Private Collection and Escada's first woman's perfume. With its rose/jasmine nexus, this could easily drift into the Joy camp, but is nothing like that famous perfume. If the Empress Eugenie actually wore this, then she was way ahead of her time. To me this is a rich, elegant floriental reminiscent of ladies who lunch, as suitable today as it was when Eugenie was having her imperial dejeuner au palais.

SexySmells's avatar

Santalum by Profumum

I love Sandalwood done right. Basenotes will attest to the fact that there are numerous sandal dominant scents that achieve cult status in some fashion. Some will swear by Egoiste, some by Villoresi, others claim Maitre Parfumeur has the best. I guess it simply boils down to what our own noses interpret.

Profumum has never achieved stardom in this debate among basenoters like lesser fragrances have simply because it isn't sampled as widely as other houses. True, there are those who are aware of Santalum and recognize it's a terrific scent, but the majority think only of others when trying to choose the best sandalwood fragrance. I believe price and bottle size has something to do with this.

I'm fortunate in that I got to try this some years ago while it was still the dark, oily rendition. Make no mistake about the new, light colored version though. It has grown on me and actually has better projection than its older sibling. I wore both again last night and this morning I can still detect them clearly. The dark rendition has a woodier tone from the onset. It's more baritone than the lighter version and the sandalwood implemented is different than the new release. The sandalwood note smells slightly superior in the dark one and is more prominent throughout the wearing. The cinnamon and myrrh are present, but only as stagehands to the star. The entire life of the scent goes on exactly as it started. Sandalwood front and center with an assist from incense and cinnamon.

The new, light colored version has a different feel to it, but is terrific nonetheless. The sandalwood used in this rendition is very good, but not as deep or up front as the dark one. It's a brighter, more uplifting interpretation. Whereas the dark may be meditative, this one has a more casual aura about it. It's also more balanced with the cinnamon and myrrh. The sandalwood can definitely be smelled, but it's enveloped inside the spicy incense and seems to be blended more meticulously than the dark.

At first, I was indignant that Profumum had changed the formula. This was, after all, my favorite from a house I have a proclivity for. I had plans on saving for a bottle of the original a few years back and then right before I was ready to purchase, they unceremoniously slipped the new rendition in there. I then tried the new release and while recognizing it was very good, my obsession for "original" and also dark colored fragrances tainted my perception a bit. I seem to have a bad habit of equating "dark" for "Substantial and good". Sometimes that theory holds water........and sometimes it leaks......

Suffice it to say that the Santalum that currently is available is the light colored rendition. The more I wear it, the better I like it for it's projection, brightness and longevity. It also helps that it smells great. I have been on the fence for a few years now about purchasing this. It is expensive and the bottle is big enough to last years. I think I may have to pull the trigger soon on this before they change it yet again. I know my vintage Santal Noble will be disappointed if I purchased it. It would then be relegated to second best.

drseid's avatar

Oil Fiction by Juliette Has a Gun

Oil Fiction opens with a refined, slightly soapy smooth floral tuberose and iris tandem with a jasmine and banana-like Ylang-ylang undertone. As the composition moves to its early heart the tuberose remains in full-force with the jasmine and banana-like Ylang-ylang yellow florals growing in strength to reach co-star status with gentle saffron spice providing support. As the composition continues through its heart a subtle papyrus-derived woody undertone appears relatively briefly before disappearing about thirty minutes later. During the late dry-down, the composition turns slightly woody, powdery and amber-like, as vanilla joins ambroxan from the base with the remnants of the tuberose hanging around through the finish. Projection is average and longevity outstanding at over 20 hours on skin.

Oil Fiction took a bit of time to warm to due to expectations its name conjures that the resulting composition doesn't deliver. In truth, I have no idea what Juliette Has a Gun was thinking in naming it such; because I get no associations with oil whatsoever. After one gets past the puzzling name choice, evaluating the composition on its fragrance profile alone, it is easy to quickly identify Oil Fiction's charms. Speaking of those charms, the composition does an outstanding job of utilizing tuberose in a highly refined, slightly subdued way while deftly coupling it with Ylang-ylang to the point that even someone who is not particularly a tuberose fan can still enjoy it. The end result conjures up the spirit of Dia Man from Amouage, Arsene Lupin (Dandy) from Guerlain, and most closely the hybrid of the two, Savile Row by Richard James. It was indeed Savile Row that immediately came to mind after the top notes quickly burned off, but while Oil Fiction is similar in style and shares a lot of Savile Row's amazing refinement, it is less woody and less bright than Savile Row while adding in a slight detergent-like soapy aspect. One final aspect worth mentioning is Oil Fiction does a bit of a disappearing act during the late dry-down about 8 or 9 hours in. At this point the composition turns slightly powdery, appearing like it is beginning to fade, but several hours later the tuberose makes a reappearance, still hanging around well after the wearer may believe it gone. All-in-all Oil Fiction proves an extremely well-made composition that quickly won this writer over. Its name may have nothing to do with its fragrance profile, but as a huge fan of Dia Man, Arsene Lupin and Savile Row, Oil fiction is another stellar option in the general space those greats occupy. The bottom line is the name of the $285 per 75ml Oil Fiction may puzzle many, but the composition itself shines brightly, earning it an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 and a solid recommendation. While my love for the composition and its beautiful bottle is resolute, at Oil Fiction's relatively high price point Savile Row proves a much higher value proposition with its slightly superior smelling composition and significantly lower price per ml. As such, it would be wise to give both a sniff before proceeding with a purchase.

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Endymion by Penhaligon's

Endymion is my first cologne from Penhaligon. It is a beautiful lavender based cologne. At first spray it gives off a blast of lavender with citrus and spices. The dry down is very comforting, that is when the true lavender shines. I can get a wiff now and then and it makes me and my nose very happy. For a cologne it has good silage and last 5-6 hours on me. Beautiful!

Black Label: Leather by Monotheme

The poor-man Tuscan Leather? No. This is basically Tuscan leather sold at ridiculously cheap prices. I don't like the Tom Ford and I can't say I like this one either but if you're a fan, don't miss the chance to give this a shot.

Another blatant example that niche prices are way too often about brand positioning that actual quality.

Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

A total wower in my book.

Think about an hypothetic mash-up between Knize Ten and Liaison De Parfum Resist Me and you get and idea of which seas Anubis floats in. A petrol / gasoline like accord during the opening. Smoky, leathery and, yes, even floral but completely devoided of any canonic beauty. The fragrance introduces then a resins foundation that, together with immortelle, provides some sweetness while enhancing the general smokiness. It's brutal and hardcore but also strangely soothing because of the overall old-school vibe. A straight to the point resinous, saffrony leather that's able to feel daring and comforting at the same time like very few other fragrances are.

Big, big, big winner for me. One of 2014 bests.

Rêve d'Ossian (new) by Oriza L. Legrand

I wasn't honestly expecting much from Reve D'Ossian but I've to say this has been more than a nice surprise. A bright, modern, aldheydic resins fest built around a nostalgic powdery /ambery base.

For the most part this is all about a candid white incense with piney / dark green notes and soapy aldehydes but the overall brightness and the airy feel are warmed up by a retrò and smoothly woody, ambery foundation. The first thing that comes to mind is Maria Candida Gentile's Exultat minus the violet note but also other *clean incenses* such as Cardinal or Sancti. Not exactly groundbreaking but if you're a fan of the main player, this is thoroughly enjoyable.

Great presence.

Colin Maillard's avatar

Jil Sander Woman Pure (new) by Jil Sander

This review is for the *MEN* version of this, which apparently isn't listed on Basenotes.

Sander Pure for Men opens with an airy, green, slightly citric and aldehydated blend, firmly synthetic to any side, with a subtle and soft woody-cashmeran base accord also comprising white musks (the “automatic laundry” type), bamboo, and well, “air”. A fresh, but also kind of aloof, lunar, non-human air. With a greyish-industrial clean vibe, and something leafy; basically sitting halfway Helmut Lang EDC, O pour Homme by Lancome, and a whatever fizzy-citric fresh cologne. Linear, really simple and thin – smells almost like a Demeter fragrance at some points. A relatively rare discontinued scent strictly for aficionados of that “clean-futuristic” look of many synthetic scents from the early 2000s... for all the others, pretty much negligible.

5,5-6/10

Colin Maillard's avatar

Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle (Liz Zorn)

Choco patchouli oud, with the indolic bone-structure of agarwood oil melting with cocoa beans to create a quite disturbing sort of “sweetish seasoned cheese” smell, with a bright whiff of floral notes and a perceivable base note of camphorous amber gris (the real one? It smells really good). The opening phase is quite bold and compelling, but once it tones down, Oud Lacquer becomes soon quite a dull sort of woody-gourmand scent all about balmy notes of cocoa beans, patchouli, a light woody oud note and flowers. The oud note is decent: nutty, woody, “oily” and just a tad “fecal”, but also much restrained overall – shortly, don’t expect a gorgeous blast of oud (as you would legitimately expect at this price range, I’d say...). Flowers and patchouli tame it down quite much. Finally, as other reviewers noted, the persistence is incredibly short. I would say that it’s a nice scent overall, and works decently for one hour or so, and then it’s gone. Not for this price, for me.

6-6,5/10

Niffty's avatar

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

A nice spicy array of colorful notes in this one, not as legendary as the original but a decent and lively fragrance for an evening scent.