Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

guess it was reformulated, sillage was heavier, the smell richer and rounder...

professor goggles's avatar
    professor goggles

Series 1: Illicit Sex by Jeremy Scott by Six Scents Parfums

Surprisingly light and sweet for a perfume named Illicit Sex, it evokes cedar and rose dirty dancing together in a brightly lit room. Opens loudly with the shimmer characteristic of aldehydes and a touch of fruit. Lots of ISO E Super supporting the woods. The rose comes in clear and bright, the cedar warm and astringent. Those two are the main characters and dominate this perfume, with little development. I like the way rose is treated here. To my taste it's more wearable than a lot of rose compositions, the wood making for an unusual modern masculine. Not as much fun as its namesake, but interesting and wearable enough for a second date.

Ghost_Goat's avatar
    Ghost_Goat

Halston Man Amber by Halston

An absolute stunner from top to bottom. It's a crime that this has become so hard to find. Never really being a Halston fan, I was floored upon my first meeting with Amber Man.

If a friend wants to know what a non-linear scent is, I usually reach for this. This is wearable, utterly enjoyable non-linearity, and every turn HAM makes is just as good as the last. It's embarrassing the riches this fragrance holds.

If you can find a bottle of this, pay whatever is being asked and give a higher power love and devotion for your supreme good luck. This just smells RICH. It oozes sophistication. I'd put it up against any other fragrance at any price point. It's that good. It still surprises me now that I'm singing the praises of a Halston fragrance, but this one deserves it.

It's a crying shame more people haven't been able to experience this gem. It's a crime against humanity that most never will.

Captain's avatar
    Captain

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Yikes. This smells like scented baby wipes. Where's the opoponax? How disappointing. I have no desire to smell like baby powder/wipes, straight up, no complexity or nuance, at ALL.

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

New York Patchouli by Bond No. 9

this is feminine to me, mostly floral tones with light sillage..there's no patchouly whatsoever...the name is utterly misguiding!

2petros's avatar
    2petros

Encre Noire Sport by Lalique

A total different take of the original Encre Noire. A fresh opening of grapefruit, bergamot followed briefly by aquatic notes that settles to nutmeg, vetiver and wood. I have tested both Encre Noire Sport and TF Grey Vetiver and I could smell the resemblance. When both settle down Encre Noire Sport is woodier, lighter - Gray Vetiver is warmer and longevity is more than 8 h. Encre Noire Sport is a great warm weather signature scent of vetiver, long-lasting 7 hours for me. A great alternative to the smoky original Encre Noire for spring or summer. Encre Noire Sport = Mediterranean summer Encre Noire. You just have to test this on your own. Love the bottle.

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

Olympic Rainforest by Olympic Orchids

There are places on the UC Berkeley university campus where huge sequoias sprout from flower-filled gardens, with jasmine vines trailing everywhere. It's fairly unique to our climate and the smell is incredible. Given this, I can see why a perfumer would be inspired to mix evergreens and flowers. Unfortunately, perfumery is more of a study in chemistry than most people think - when you mix pine and jasmine, you don't get a perfume that smells like pine mixed with jasmine. Instead, the chemistry kicks in and you get something that smells like sweet, pine-flavored bubble gum. And yes, this is what Olympic Rainforest smells like. There's also a eucalyptus wintergreen smell on top that accounts for the other reviews mentioning Vap-O-Rub. It eventually dries down to a sweet, mulchy evergreen smell, but that Vap-O-Rub Pine-Sol bubble gum smell really is as weird as it sounds and it's very much the star of the perfume. It's not terrible. In fact, I find it more of an abstract curiosity than a "mistake".

Olympic Rainforest is one of Olympic Orchids' early works, and it has a naive charm that I enjoy. I can't imagine an established perfumer (or even Olympic Orchids at the experience level where they are now, a few years later) releasing this, but in a world where an awful lot of indie perfumes are just terrible messes, Rainforest seems to have been fully thought out, but just ended up strange.

Ghosst's avatar
    Ghosst

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Extremely sweet, even if it is a gourmand, it is sickly sweet, very sharp, and just gives an overpowering sense of ugh.... To life. However, as a hardcore fan of Creeds and Bonds, I would still enjoy a sample of it.

tdwctdwc's avatar
    tdwctdwc

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

This is what every incense scent should be like.

I'm not talking about the smell but about the way the scent aura envelops the skin and transports the wearer to a calm ethereal place (in this case, it's the inside of an old stone church in Italy).

Incense itself when burned, is light in volume, airy and never overwhelming. This is exactly what bois d'encens is all about.

While other scents mix the incense with patchouli or amber to give it more volume and thickness, Bois d'encens gives it to you like it is and that's what i love about it .

Whenever i wear this, i feel like everyone and everything around me should be quite and calm. I know this sounds selfish but it's the truth and i can't help but feel that way.

Bois D'encens: Selfish incense.

23 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

I Love New York for Fathers by Bond No. 9

A modern (somewhat uninspired) aromatic fougere with a mossy dry woods/ambergris dry down and some (minimal at the beginning but finally evident imo) aquatic energetic nuances, somewhat conventional and herbal, a sort of ideal mix between Trussardi Action Uomo, Acqua di Gio', Bond Wall Street and Cerruti 1881. Really refreshing and energetic. Nothing bad or particularly disturbing with this one, on the contrary the ILNY For the Fathers' aroma is more than pleasant and in my opinion distinguished, just nowadays mainstream and finally restrained. The beginning is sparkling with a bracing geyser of basil, coriander, citrus, lavender and ozonic trails, the central stage is mastered by an increasing floral grapefruit which joined by musk and ambergris becomes sensual and virile while the dry down is more thirsty (dry), virile, slightly peppery/ambery (ambergris), cedary and conservative. One of the most satisfying in its (salty/herbal) category. Extremely tenacious and "spacious" on my skin.
    P.S: the aquatic/metallic patterns come finally on the stage as the remarkable trait of the whole olfactory performance and this final twist is far less interesting than the herbal introduction and the first part of the central phase.

23 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2014)

Emperorofscent's avatar
    Emperorofscent

Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos

The bottle gets a huge thumbs up! at my local sephora it is already sold out! i got my bottle. John Varvatos has a way of doing things that has to be exact. For instance each bottles label has to feel like his base note.. Vintage has Suade, Artisan has wood, classic John varvatos has leather. The microphone USA one is an ode to rock music thus the teaming up with KISS in their new advertisements. But Artisan Aqua is a limited edition summer masterpiece.

A slue of notes that i have not seen in a while the number of notes are comparable to Kouros, by the numbers.

As for the smell it smells like fresh lemons at first followed by a very masculine array of medicinal notes that gives it a very adult smell, clary sage, basil, lavender, coriander all scream man. and of course the hidden fun note angelica root (also known as the angel of herbs) is related to parsley which gives this cologne an amazing tea leaves in the spring feel. the scent also has been used in the medical field for those who have trouble sleeping. spray some on your pillow you'll see... The scent brings you in close, and women absolutely love this one on my skin. Taking in april to Puerto Rico for vacation! till next time. Hope the information was helpful.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I do appreciate the sheer talent of Monsieur Lutens and Chergui is probably my favourite fragrance of all time. This is not a fragrance I wear to be noticed, or to project some kind of image or identity; this is a fragrance I wear for me and me only.

Almost gourmand in nature, it envelopes me with its beautiful, warming, and unique oriental self. There isn't much more I can say. Absolutely incredible.

Himalaya by Creed

Cold, yet warm; sour, yet sweet. Himalaya is a conundrum and it's not surprising that it divides so many people.

The opening is a cold, citrus blast of alcohol. Unlike some, this doesn't grab me. It actually reminds me of that chemical odour of women's hairspray.

For me, though, Himalaya is all about the dry down. It stays somewhat austere on me for a good few hours as a cold, metallic note persists but then it develops into a lovely, warm sandalwood base, touched by a most agreeable incense note. I don't like incense but in this fragrance it really works for me.

I don't understand why so many reviewers have called Himalaya generic. I would agree that it doesn't belong to the familiar Creed family of fragrances, but I regard it as anything but generic. I also get the impression that this is a fragrance that projects more favourably than the wearer may realise. I know that sounds odd but those notes that rise from close quarters through the wearer's nasal passages, particularly for the first two or three hours, are definitely less revealing and balanced than they are for a receiving nose a couple of feet away.

I've had my bottle for about a year now and I wore Himalaya on a cold day recently after a fairly long break and I have to say it was a joy - more so than past outings. It has grown on me with time and I swear it has improved with age, like my bottle of Aventus. Or that could just be me, warming to it.

I also have a different experience with longevity to many reviewers. On that day, it was an absolute beast. I applied three sprays to the neck in the morning and my wife and I could still smell it after 13 hours, although it was naturally wearing closer to the skin by then. I did apply some unscented moisturiser to my neck first, so that may well have assisted.

If you want a fragrance that is inoffensive and versatile but still shouts quality, then you could do a lot worse. Not up there with my favourites by any means but I do find myself enjoying wearing Himalaya very much. Overall, a worthy addition to a collection.

Archer51's avatar
    Archer51

Chrome United by Azzaro

Soapy, synthetic, sort of gives me a headache. Not bad for a sporty, casual, warm weather scent, however I prefer the original version over this one. Have not tried legend yet. For the price there are better options out there for the same type of vibe. I do not really see what all the hype is over the "metallic" note, just did not do it for me.

Jridgen's avatar
    Jridgen

Oud Assam by Rania J

With the recent oud craze it seems there is a wide continuum for fragrances ranging from the "barely oud present" and the "oud dominant", most Western fragrances lying near the former.

It's great to finally see what a proper "oud dominated" fragrance smells like that doesn't also smell like barnyard feces (I am looking at you Oud 27 and Leather Oud).

I really like this one. I can pick up an earthiness/incense in the background but this seems primarily like pure oud. It smells much more natural than the oud found in the Montale line and I enjoy it quite a bit, especially with it being free of STANK.

7.5/10

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Helium [2He] by Nu_Be

Helium opens with a sweet alcoholic splash of benzoin before quickly transitioning to its early heart. During the early heart the relatively sweet benzoin remains, adding significant warm spicy cinnamon and smooth pipe tobacco to the mix with hints of a balmy chapstick-like accord joining leathery styrax and clary sage in support. During the late dry-down the composition turns much less sweet and relatively dry, as slightly earthy patchouli from the base joins remnants of the tobacco and benzoin as the composition slowly fades. Projection is average and longevity very good at 10-11 hours on skin.

Unlike its sister scent, Sulphur, where the tie-in to the element of the same name is more readily apparent, Helium is a bit of a misnomer as the composition actually has much more of warm spiced tobacco and patchouli focus with no trace of the element to be found. The tobacco which ranges from sweet in the key mid-section to more of a dry leaf during the finish smells quite pleasant marred by the vague balmy chapstick-like accord residing underneath it that makes the composition a bit difficult to enjoy at times. The best part of the composition is the late dry-down as the tobacco turns dry and the patchouli takes over as star through the end. The bottom line is the 110 Euro per 100ml bottle Helium is a odd name for the composition and is far from perfect, but it does smell good, earning a 3 to 3.5 star out of 5 rating and a tepid recommendation. Those looking for this kind of composition should also sample Saville by Keiko Mecheri that occupies a similar space but was one I personally preferred.

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Fate Man by Amouage

Fate Man gives me troubles. It smells nice but as much as I tried to like it, I haven't been able to really love it. I'll start saying this is probably one of the easiest Amouages in years…modern, masculine in the meaning of dry-woody-musky (yeah), good projection, good lasting power…well, basically the perfect *product* but still no love from me.

Just like with most Amouages, Fate Man can be appreciated and/or evaluated on several levels. The fragrance has a lot of things going on but I believe that the average wearer is more interested in the overall smell than in meticulous dissections of notes and micro-nuances. Well, in this context, the fragrance smells like a plain spicy oriental but avoids the heavy-hand that's often typical of this genre. The bone structure feels sweetish, balmy and dry (musk-tonka-incense-woods) while refinements provide spicy-aromatic elements with anisic notes, saffron and cumin. Immortelle is handled with moderation and serves to smooth and round the dry edges and to give some extra body. The balance is good and the fragrance is very easy to wear while not feeling overly sweet but, after all, I feel a sense of standardization in most of the latest Amouage masculines. What Fate Man really smells like to me, is a designer fragrance orchestrated with luxury ingredients. The quality is there, the artistry not so much…

With that said, if you're up for some quality stuff but you don't like to be necessarily challenged by your fragrance, Fate Man might be worth checking out. Me? When it comes to Amouage masculines, I stop at Memoir Man.

Mild thumbs up.

marcelopcr's avatar
    marcelopcr

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

Reminds of Chanel Platinum Egoiste. If you like that sort of barbershop fresh mature scent this is for you. Opens up with a fresh citrus with some bergamot and some florals. A win for me.

cekhbs's avatar
    cekhbs

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

To me this is disgusting and I have to move away/out of the underground carriage when I smell this on people as it is overpowering and acrid. It is the men's version of Poison - to be avoided. Goodness knows what the womens version smells like, I haven't dared to even try it.

cekhbs's avatar
    cekhbs

Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

Opens with a gorgeously sharp, peppery rose similar to Rossy de Palma by L'Etat de Libre d"Orange or Noorolain Taif by Thameen which are the only two fragrances I have smelled recently that come close. After the rose came the pepper, mango fruity smell. Men stopped me in the street to ask what it was. At the time a unique scent. The light version is horrible, like sweet plastic and absolutely nothing like the original, very milky and sickly.

Longexact's avatar
    Longexact

Oud Stars : Gao by Xerjoff

This one's difficult to review, not because it's gross or unpleasant (it's not!) but because it's radically different than the other fragrances this particular American nose has smelled before. I haven't smelled authentic oud oil so I can't say whether this smells like the real thing; but if this IS what oud really smells like, then every other niche oud fragrance I've tried (and I've tried a whole lot) fails miserably to replicate it. The first impression of Gao is total confusion: a powerful blast of turpentine, sour woods, and saffron. The complexity here is really something else - I have no referents for this, no other fragrances I can list that smell like this. What I can say is that I've grappled with Gao for a while now and have found it to be an immensely addictive scent, perhaps because it's so mysterious and hard to parse, and because it's obviously made with very good quality materials. Also, this stuff is POTENT. Like, nuclear power levels of potency.

Aventus by Creed

A very, very small amount of this left in my 30ml bottle (batch C42B11Y02, for those that need to know) that I purchased in August 2012.

On me, I experience the following: A sharp pineapple and bergamot opening and a hint of apple. This lasts for a few minutes before the pineapple settles down to a smoother fruit note (but still very much pineapple all the way) while the middle notes with a delicate smoky birch begin to open up. There's definitely some patchouli and rose weaving in and out at this stage, as is listed. The basenotes then combine to give a beautiful, sweet woody depth, while every so often the pineapple cuts through to liven things up. There's not a significant or complex evolution on my skin but for me at least that does not detract from the appeal of this fragrance.

Expertly blended, this fragrance, with very good quality ingredients. It's a 'modern' Creed fragrance that manages to have that almost transparent airy-ness that the good Creeds have but it doesn't suffer from longevity or strength issues despite this. Projection is easily 8 hours on my skin, after which time it is more of a skin scent (Only Himalaya from the other Creeds I have betters this). It's certainly very masculine, though some may find it a little on the younger man- side, as I do occasionally, but it is a fragrance that can reward a sophisticated older gent, too. Smells gorgeous on fabric and lasts on it for days. Equally at home in formal and casual surroundings, it can be worn in all seasons and both day and night but probably a little more suited to daytime wearing.

Mine has probably improved in the bottle with age. I'm not so sure I will be rushing to buy another bottle given the price has increased over time, though. As impressive as this juice is, I'm not so sure it should demand £95 upwards.

berilac's avatar
    berilac

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

one of the best I have had, not too overpowering, I use it more in winters

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Sideris by Maria Candida Gentile

Where Exultat was finally an incredibly soft and almost sinister candied olibanum with a brown/dahlia violet chinotto type of rhubarb/orange/violet main accord, Sideris is ethereal in a more properly rosey radiant way with this simply perfect creamy woods/saffron/rose accord far closer to a Titiana Terenzi Ecstasy/Gold Rose Oudh ideal olfactory encounter than to a further/previous Maria Candida Gentile's perfumed experiment. I detect in here several Perris Montecarlo Rose de Taif's nuances but while the previous was more austerely and sharply rosey (with its almost angular lemon/geranium supporting chord) Sideris is rosey in to a diverse holy incensey way. The olibanum is "invisible" and premonitory. Yes Sideris is a sort of miracle in perfumery, the inebriant and pacifying effluvium heralding a celestial Liberator's apparition, a spicy/creamy rose somewhat divine and perfect, royal and refined, restrained and diaphanous with its celestial spicy/opaque musky soapiness and a touch of really dusty-powdered sugar. The almost total lack of hesperides on the top carries by soon the aroma straight towards a wet spicy creaminess (with a wonderful narcotic damp saffron welcome) evolving in to final rosey/woodsy perfection due to an holy accord in which all is divinely (and secretly) incensey, magistrally balanced and dramatically casted as a galaxy ascending the skies till the Heaven's doors. Artistically crafted, lacteous and wisely unaffected this potion possesses in my opinion the chrism of the ethernal glory.

ClarkScent's avatar
    ClarkScent

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

When I was in high school, a teacher somehow ended up with a huge box of miniatures of this. She let the students have them, so needless to say everyone smelled like this for a year. This is one of the few colognes to me that smells the same as back in the day. Not sure if that is because it IS vintage because that's all that's left or they are still making it the same way, but I still like it. Smells like the 90s but that's ok. I do get a plastic grassy feel from it. Distinct bottle.

Zenwannabee's avatar
    Zenwannabee

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud

It's like the Ghost of Christmas Present in Dickens' story. Rotund, jolly, and with a lesson to teach. And like that ghost, it's not one to be written-off lightly. A whiff from the bottle is a glorious train wreck. But it's much better on the dry-down as the cinnamon and cloves are balanced a bit more by the bay leaf scent. I love it as a splash, and the great thing is that the sillage isn't that long-lasting, so you can douse yourself amply and love it. It's a barbershop stroll down memory lane in a great, wholesome way. Get yourself some, catch an island breeze, and enjoy.

Dr.Hohum's avatar
    Dr.Hohum

Aspen for Men by Coty

Found the 2.7 oz cologne on clearance for $5 at a local department chain (regularly $20). I recall Cool Water when it was first out and yes, this is similar, but warmer as many reviewers note. No, not particularly pine-y, if at all, but a decent scent. No idea how long it'll last on me but it's worth $5 in any case.

Mick_Trick's avatar
    Mick_Trick
    Ireland Ireland

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

Shares a lot of facets with Ambre 114 to my nose, pleasing but not too complex powdery slightly spiced amber, perhaps could have benefited from a little edge. As the drydown sets in I get a bit of vanillic almost almondy side which is for me a bit of a turn off, I'm not really getting much of the promised animalics either. I guess I'd call it good-meh, good quality and certainly nice if you like your ambers to play politely, but I personally prefer mine with a little more bite, ala Ambre Absolute, Opus VI et al.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Les Notes de Lanvin : Oud & Rose by Lanvin

The listed notes for this one seem to be patchouli, rose absolute, oud wood, and skin musk. I'm not an oud fan and have disliked the acrid note in some of the Montale oud scents I've tried. That's not the kind of oud you get here. In fact, it reminds me of wormwood more than anything else. If you want Ungaro I but can't afford it this might work for you, actually. I don't get much patchouli either, and the rose is subdued and subordinated to the wormwood tinted oud note. Fortunately, there is no major iso e super or any harshness, though if you hate all wood notes this probably won't work for you. I'm really surprised at how "high quality" this feels. I don't know what the original retail prices were, but some have said it was selling for $14.99 at discounters! I took a chance on this one (cost me more than that), and I'm really glad I did! Longevity is outstanding and projection ("sillage") is just right.

hedonist222's avatar
    hedonist222
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Grapefruit by Comme des Garçons

The most vivid grapefruit/mandarin concoction.
    Alas, the most synthetic too.