Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Salutation.

When a man stops you and ask what are you wearing?It smells Great.You know it is worth every penny you spend and in my opinion THIERREY MUGLER fragrances have this sensible characteristic just like ALIEN.It is Dark,slightly Decadent and so Alluring.in other words Magnetic,Woody,Irresistible,Strong, Exotic,Glamorous,Sensuous and Modern.

At first spray it can be a powerful and heavy burst but as it fades i found it to be quite Lovely.It finished with Amber.This is a winning combination for a perfume that screams Seduction of skin as it takes your senses in a Intoxicating Fancy to a For-Off land as it smells like a Dark Mysterious forest in a fairy tale or a Princess living in the forest.

Totally most prominent to me is a mix of Jasmine and Wood.The perfume lasts all day only with 2 or 3 sprays.Cool Autumn Evenings and Dreary winter moments come alive with ALIEN and this is due the base notes and definitely Amber.If you want to draw the attention of Men to you in a Party this is a Noticeable perfume but not for Everyone.

Sillage?Impressive.

Longevity?Lasts and Lasts.

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Salutation.

For those who are addicted to the game of seduction!It's the slogan “Life without passion is unforgivable.”This scent is too sweet but in a perfect way.I am in love with it and i get tons of compliment when i wear it. Bold, Vanilla,Sensual,Addictive,Heady and Evocative.

This great scent has a passionate and harsh opening of tobacco and honey over a charming and warmer heart of vanilla and cacao and a hint of patchouli and a dry down of sheer romance as it gives you feel cozy and Surrendering yourself to its temptation is akin to reaching erotic zenith.

This EDT isn´t too heavy and cloying in the hot weather but great and warmer for a night out on the town or a romantic night with your honey.It leaves a heady memory of you in your wake.this is a ladies magnet beware.Highly recommended to those,who wants to smell great but definitely test it first.

Sillge?Lovely.

Longevity?About 7 hours on my skin.

7.5/10

A*Men Pure Energy / A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Salutation.

A* MEN PURE SHOT is simply “Mannish Fragrance” with a tone of sobriety and calmness.a really pleasant scent,less synthetic than others summery scents.It is a safe fragrance to wear if your going to be around a lot of people and run the risk of being overbearing to the sensitive noses.clean and fresh,like a beautiful morning where green mixes with the blue sea. Refreshing, Aromatic,Enjoyable,Casual,Modern, Inoffensive,Uplifting and Delightful.

The mint mixes deliciously with cardamom and pepper in the heart notes while dry down woods stir up with sequoia and patchouli to result in an easy,friendly fragrance that can be enjoyed yer round and which transitions well into the office.the opening is so lovely and aromatic.A* MEN PURE SHOT is for a modern man.The packaging and bottle are stylish.if you are looking for a fresh and soft scent of THIERRY MUGLER this is a nice choice for SPRING and SUMMER.

Sillage?Average.

Longevity?Could be better.

6.75/10

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Salutation.

A*Men is A Great Show by THIERRY MUGLER.it is not so easy Forgettable.Definitely one of the best Frgrances in my father collection. Everytime He wore it The scent stay in our place for a long time!

Sweet,Warm and Attractive.In my opinion it is Much better than Female version.So strong opening but Gradually i found a LOVELY scent on my skin Like a Creamy Vanilla or Coffe mate!In fact it had blended so Well on my skin.

Certainly it is Sharp and Offensive if wearning Everyday and in the Hot weather even more 2 spray but when you Wearning it in Right Mood you will To see REAL NATURE it.

Where is the right mood?Generraly special Moods like a ROMANTIC evening in WINTER because in my opinion A*Men is Supplement HOT moments meantime in the Prties Most people can besotted with Your EDT.For some people It is really Heavy then you must to test it before buy!

Sillage?Excellent.

Lonegvity?Is really Weird on my skin.

7.75/10

hedonist222's avatar

masculin Pluriel by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

It really isn't new or unique. A modern fougere.
    Some excellent quality lavender, a bit of tonka.
    No traditional lemony opening.
    I'm detecting some galbanum. A superbly fine & delicate vibe of it.

But what sets it apart and makes it full bottle worthy is the quality of the perfume.
    More than ingredient quality, composition quality. It had that upscale Francis K signature finishing.
    And ingredient quality is amazing as well.

I'm adding it to my "grab n go" list of perfumes. Something you can wear days in a row when not in the mood to sit and pick from your collection.

Harvey_Specter's avatar

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

I had to blind buy it as the major retailers in my area don't carry it for some reason...same goes for most of Dior's line. After reading the reviews, I was expecting a rocky ride with Dior Homme Intense.

I was expecting this to be very feminine. It's not nearly as feminine as I expected. I have other male fragrances, not counting "unisex" scents, that I consider to be WAY more femme than this is (Amouage Lyric Man, Reflection Man, regular Dior Homme, Spicebomb).

I also thought it would take time to like it, but I loved it right off the bat. Addictive immediately and more versatile that I expected. I think you could wear this not only in winter, but also in evenings throughout fall and spring.

It would go great when you're dressed sharp or formal (not business though), but it's also comforting enough to be a feel good frag when you're bumming.

It's a classy, comforting, sensual scent. I think this is a great price point, it could fetch much higher.

My only complaints are that longevity is moderate and sillage is low for me.

Thumbs way up!

Chanel1's avatar

Black by Puredistance

The premium price for this ($295 for 60 ml) makes me want more. It smells a lot like MiN NY Scent Stories Dahab, which is similarly pricey, I think. There is something nice in these scents. I like the Dahab version a little more, I think.

Having sampled more, I would say these are ok and interesting, but not really something I would want to wear often, or something I would recommend for others without sampling.

Perfumed Librarian's avatar

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

There's no other scent (so far) that's so "almost" for me. It's got a lot going on that's nice and soft and pleasant, and I keep trying it out thinking that this time, It'll be different. But every time, I have to eventually admit to myself that the sweet bubblegum aspect is going to win out yet again. It's a real shame because it's one of the bery few scents that lasts well on me.

flathorn's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Caraway and play-doh heliotrope. I couldn't stand this on my skin. There is a weirdness to this note that isn't appealing at all. There is a fragrance beneath this that speaks of a sophistication, though it is drowned out by play-doh, a heliotrope synthesis gone bad, I suppose. But really, the formulation itself also comes across with a synthetic glamour and a certain obviousness.
    It might work great on someone in their 20's, as long as that play-doh note doesn't arise. I remember that time in my life - I loved an air of sophistication, without knowing what the hell that was. I wanted something that smelled good to me, simple or not, and also fit in with what my friends wore. It didn't go much beyond that, but didn't really need to. I came into perfume appreciation through the back door, through essential oils, because it turned out I truly loved fragrance. But I didn't start there and wasn't looking for complexity then, only what smelled good. I'm still that way to a lesser degree. One-star or five-star, they still have to beguile me. I just won't wear a fragrance I don't like, I don't care how well-thought of they are.
    So really, what went wrong with this one was that caraway-play doh note, not a lack of originality.

17th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 22nd April, 2015)

flathorn's avatar

Hypnotic Poison Eau Secrète by Christian Dior

Lighter is generally better for me when it comes to the Poisons because I'm not a fan of its overbearing character though I like the smell. I've tried Hypnotic Poison and now this, hoping to find one I love. But so far that hasn't happened. I like eau Secrète better than Hypnotic Poison though. The caraway play-doh note was taken out, which killed HP for me, and some citrus added to the top. It is less gourmand, lighter and casually sweet.
    But Eau Secrète has a slight plasticine odor overlaying it, similar to the plastic vanilla Barbie Doll smell. That is a step up from the play-doh in HP, but I'm not looking for any accords of that nature, a plasticky oddness on my skin, which always produce a dissonance in my space. Pass.

17th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 19th April, 2015)

Darvant's avatar

Aer by Angela Ciampagna

Aer is not properly my archetype of concoction but I have to admit it smells utterly natural and realistically grassy-citric (in a way that is almost shocking, it seems to handle herbs, flowers and citrus for real. Incredibly oily is longly the part of skin on which I've layered the juice). Well, Aer is a grassy-aromatic (somewhat minty) take on the resinous vetiver theme. Kenzo Air effectively jumps on mind because of the association of mint, bergamot and vetiver but Aer is substantially another stuff, basically far more floral (it seems to detect chamomile and mimosa), far more citric (a stout "oily" lemony vibe connected with yellow flowers) and far more grassy resinous while the Kenzo's one (fragrance which I really like) is more properly minty-balsamic, "frosty" and "airy". There is finally a certain piquancy in the Angela Ciampagna's composition substantially diverse (despite yet present) in Kenzo Air (in the latter more "swarming-aereal" while in Aer somewhat botanic-culinary and yes, more aromatically mediterranean). While finally the Kenzo's one develops a subtle light-dusty (vaguely incensey) ambery "background" Aer ends down basically resinous (stout elemi) and still floral herbal while I detect a more developed vetiver's feel in Kenzo Air. Anyway, several Meo Fusciuni's (or Testa Maura's) realistically green and culinary aromas jump on mind far more and I finally detect a really heady juniper berries presence and most of all an hesperidic/floral core influencing the final wake. The note of vetiver (still lemony, floral, salty, finally a touch smoky and piquant, close to the same presence in Terre d'Hermes or Duetto Parfums Citiver) emerges gradually and is far more evident after a couple of hours over the fist spray. If you are in to grassy/hesperidic/floral aromas and demand something uncompromisingly natural, well, don't go further, Aer is immensely enjoyable.

17th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 18th April, 2015)

cacio's avatar

Kobako by Bourjois

This is for the Osmotheque reconstruction, smelled on paper.

Chanel Cuir de Russie plus cinnamon. This is a smooth, suede-like leather in the mold of Chanel Cuir de Russie (as opposed to the butch Tabac Blond tradition). The different is that this is not as big in the florals, as the Chanel is, but adds rather a smooth cinnamon. Plush and elegant.

I have not smelled later reissues, but from other people's descriptions, I doubt they are particularly related to the original version.

clamnole's avatar

Batucada by L'Artisan Parfumeur

From a sample....
    Batucada in Brazilian culture is a form of the Samba dance charachterized by a fast and repetitive motion. What that has to do with the name of this fragrance is anybody's guess as is L'Artisan's intentions behind this fragrance. I believe Batucada is the product of a designer trying too hard to create an interesting and complex representation of another house's success. In this case it seems to be an attempt to replicate Creed EROLFA, MI and Virgin Island Water rolled into one. The end result is a fragrance that has sweet fruit mojito, tropical floral, mint, coconut, sea brine, soft woods and sharp woods that's brought altogether in a calone tonic mess. There's absolutely nothing interesting here and the mix of notes and transition is nauseating and headache inducing. L'Artisan has some interesting and compelling fragrances, however Batucada is not one of them and better left to the Carnivale.

D.Jackson's avatar

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

Well, sorry to say but this is big thumbs down for me. I can really understand why you can buy such a large bottle so cheaply. I really had high hopes for this because of all the great reviews I read on here, but that just goes to show how subjective this hobby is.

The opening is pure baby powder. Apple? Tea? Bitter orange? Nope. None of that for my nose. Pure baby powder. It stays like this for about an hour. Then it transforms into a combination of febreeze, Fabric softener, and bounce dryer sheets. Not bad for an air freshener, but not exactly what I want to smell like. Really, it just smells like air freshener or laundry detergent and it irritates the hell out of my nose. I honestly can smell no trace whatsoever of any of the notes listed for this. Except for maybe apple if I use my imagination.

It does last. 12 hours later and I can still smell it on my wrists. Anyways, I have a 4.2 oz bottle of it, and I will be keeping it in my car to use as a deodorizer.

Thus stuff is so unworthy of the name Legend. Don't get me wrong. You are not going to offend anyone if you wear this. Because absolutely no one will notice. What they will likely think is 'oh, he put on a clean shirt today.' Or 'oh, this guy wears deodorant with a strong baby powder scent in it.'

But, hey, give it a try and decide for yourself. It does seem to get a lot of love. I do really like the bottle.

rostov5's avatar

Skin by Trussardi

SKIN is my second skin: mystical, harmonious and very sophisticated smell - the smell of romance in an intriguing troubadour way-the pedestal for femininity &beauty: smooth ♯ charming & alarming.
    The scent was created by perfumer Anne Flipo in 2002 (perfect symmetry in the number too). Thank you for the pleasure, mum. What a shame that it has recently been discontinued !
    As far as I'm aware, the only substitute for this fragrance is DSQUARED2 "SHE VELVET FOREST WOOD"-very similar smell-second to none now.

landshark321's avatar

Wildblue Noir by Banana Republic

I was never overwhelmed by BR's fragrances over the years but was intrigued when I saw a new crop of 15ml bottles, and ended up buying one of Wildblue Noir.

Its name is appropriate, as it has a synthetic dark blue vibe--that is, a spicy aquatic seemingly more suited for the night than for the day, though due to its limited longevity and projection, it works as a day scent as well because it is only so bold for so long. Its opening is bold, though, as a quasi-fresh burst of synthetic blueberry mixed with spices. The note list has been difficult to track down, but my guess is that there are multiple fruit notes (at least a citrus and a non-citrus), along with a woodsy not ore two, and a vetiver base. Chocolate is possible but it's likely a synthetic substitute that smells similar. I can't detect leather at all.

Cant argue with the retail price (perhaps $12 for the 15ml) as it's useful to have a small decant, but that's as far as I can go, compliment-wise, due to the lacking longevity (fades to a skin scent almost wholly within a couple hours). It's a strong, dense blue opening that isn't complete, but isn't bad, either.

6 out of 10

drseid's avatar

South by Mendittorosa

South opens with a moderately sweet, almost transparent accord before quickly moving to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the sweetness drops to a more modest level, as a slightly sharp, clinical gauze-like synthetic fresh accord takes over. As the composition moves further through its middle, the gauze-like synthetic fresh accord adds in subtle spice and underlying natural smelling vague woods. During the late dry-down the clinical fresh accord gradually recedes as the now semi-transparent woods hang on through the finish. Projection is average and longevity below average at about 5 hours on skin.

The first time I tried South on skin for an early read I described the experience rather negatively as smelling like "odd spice". Just like anything else, first impressions don't always prove true and I would say "odd spice" really is not the best descriptor of what I smell now with a full wearing. Instead, the best descriptor of the key heart accord is a very fresh, clinical, gauze-like rubbing alcohol experience. When wearing South, I almost feel like I was in a hospital or doctor's office, smelling the alcohol laden swabs and other sanitized instruments throughout. This sounds a lot worse than it is, and in fact there really is nothing wrong with the composition as I find it pretty mundane and easy to wear. The only question I have is "Would I want to smell like I just came out of a hospital or doctor's office?” In my case, the answer is a pretty solid, "No." The rubbing alcohol aspect coupled with the house trademark poor performance metrics (save, Le Mat) make South a rather benign, but unwanted composition that just doesn't seem to fit in with the "real world". The bottom line is the 185 Euro per 100ml bottle South is a competent release by Mendittorosa, but one that needs some warmth and heart, earning an above average 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5 and a neutral recommendation with a positive bias.

Kain's avatar

Fuoco Infernale by Linari

This is an absolutely stunning fragrance!
    A great complex and high quality fragrance which is one of the best that I've tested during the past few months! No joke!

The opening is a bitter spicy scent mixed with tons of resins.
    The spicy scent here mostly reminds me of the smell of black cumin and mixture of it with lots of resins creates a dark gathering of spices, resins and also some woods in a strange way.

In the mid that resinous part gets stronger with some sort of oily quality. this oily feeling in something almost new to my nose and I believe it's because of "Gurjan Balsam" note which simply is something so lovely. also in the mid scent gets slightly sweet but not too much.

In the base that resinous part gets much softer and smoother while I can smell a mellow powdery, slightly sweet floral note and a dark smoky aura (also soft), something like leather plus some woods right beside it.
    The opening is really good while mid is stunning and base is very lovely.
    Just can't say enough how much I'm impressed with the quality, blending and complexity of this fragrance.
    It's much more masculine than feminine.
    Projection is above average but longevity is only 4-5 hours on my skin.
    Just an unknown jewel if you ask me!
    Two thumbs up.

clamnole's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I share rogalal's view on GIT. I don't hate it, but I don't understand why it begets such accolades. I do agree that it is similar in composition to Cool Water, but GIT has much more depth and charachter and if all other things were equal, I'd probably choose GIT. However, IMO GIT is just not that great of a fragrance at $150 a bottle to where I have to own it.

döfä91's avatar

Finland Finland

Journey Man by Amouage

I find this smelling a little bit like my beloved vintage Macassar (tobacco-juniper-leather-all the aromatic elements) - but the overall feel is yet different - where Macassar is cold and a bit thin, this is warm and full, as well a bit sweeter. It's nice spicy dark, brooding scent, but as well as some other reviewers, this left me missing better longevity.

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport Polar Expedition by Issey Miyake

There is another fresh and bright LEdI opening, a good citrus mix, quite good but not as convincing that others of the same house. The muguet and white flowery drydown is am ice and not very sweet, but the base is making a generic anonymous old generic impression on my skin. It lacks a certain convincing intensity that I get in some other IM's. That said the performance is very good with moderate sillage and projection, and a very good seven hours of longevity.

Overall 2.5/5

Kain's avatar

Gold Rose Oudh by Tiziana Terenzi

This fragrance is another add to the list of oud, rose and patchouli combo (something like Montale Black Oud as a good example) with exactly the same DNA and smell but something here is different and that's very heavy dose of patchouli that stays strong all the way through.

The opening is a very pungent and kind of aromatic patchouli note along with some oud, very soft rose in the background and small dose of sweetness.
    If you've tested many oud plus rose based fragrances, the opening will be something completely familiar to your nose but as I said patchouli here dominating completely over the scent.

As time passes oud is almost gone, patchouli settles down a little bit but still it's the dominating note while rose gets stronger and scent gets sweeter in vanilla/amber way.
    Smells fine and in my opinion more masculine than "Black Oud" because of stronger and more earthy patchouli note but it's still something the same.
    There is nothing new and different about it.
    Projection is strong and longevity is 8-10 hours easy on the skin.

Eros by Versace

WAY TOO STRONG!
    This can be used a clubbing scent in the same spirit as 1 Million, Le Male.
    I cannot imagine a mature male using this in an office environment or at church as it would be too cloying.

It's not a BAD smell; it's just overwhelming and ever-present (like Axe).
    Maybe it will burn itself out in a year.

I can imagine those under 26 or over 65 wearing this to "make the scene" in a club as they unnecessarily yell into your ear "CAN YOU SMELL MY COLOGNE?".

Floralista by Kenzo

Essentially I am getting two phases in this scent: a sweetish pear too, with a bit of apple blossom in he background, and a muguet-peony based white flowery drydown. On my skin is is quite synthetic and generic, and lacks inspiration. Sillage is moderate, projection good and the longevity is about four hours on me. 2/5

ElyBUK's avatar

Polaire by Yardley

Considering the price point and brand name, "Polaire" is a good value, impressive little perfume. For me, it was a blind buy based on Yardley's own website description of it as a floral chypre. My perfume wardrobe is not large but it is heavily dominated by the fruity chypre group.

It's a very shy, soft and powdery scent, which is why I tend to layer it with my wedding day perfume, Sarah Jessica Parker's "Lovely". I agree with the notes above but the scent doesn't last very long on my skin; however, for the short time it is with me, it makes me feel happy and reminds me of being in my backyard rose garden, which, coincidently, is near to my pear tree. It was a bargain buy at Boots for £9.99 (50mL).

West Side by Bond No. 9

This has become my wife's signature scent.
    I blind-bought this hoping I would like it.
    We both sprayed it on and she said she REALLY liked it.
    I thought it was too feminine, but could be worn casually by a male.

It is STRONG and could sometimes come off with a "grandma" vibe but with a modern twist. There is an undertone that smells similar to a pouch of chewing tobacco, but it's pleasant (which lends it to masculinity at times).

It's very unique and you'd be hard-pressed to run across someone else wearing this.
    Wear this if you want to be NOTICED for your fragrance. My wife has received a tremendous amount of compliments from men, women and children when wearing West Side.

She used ½ of her 50ml bottle and I bought a 100ml bottle for her and took possession of the smaller bottle for myself.

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Oceanic Expedition by Issey Miyake

This is a scent where the yuzu impression is applied nicely with the bergamot and a good petitgrain - sheer freshness. The gingery drydown is pleasant and the base, whilst not denying a certain syntheticness, has an acceptable sandal note with a not-too-intrusive ambroxan thrown in. The top notes are simple but the best part.

The performance is good with moderate sillage, good projection and seven hours of longevity. Now whilst there is now denying that this is not a particularly exciting scent, it is nonetheless well made, balanced and has some staying power. Lovely freshness. 3/5

Millésime Impérial by Creed

A fresh, slightly-citrus, slightly-salty, slightly-musky generic fragrance.
    I would imagine those who like Bleu de Chanel or Bond No. 9 Wall Street would like this. They don't smell alike, but they're made in the same spirit.

My wife HATES this on me (as well as Himalaya and GIT).

I would have never purchased a bottle of this at the regular retail price.
    Luckily, I got a tester bottle at a discount from a store.

I find that when I wear this, I either spray too much or not enough.
    Also, if I don't spray enough, the smell goes by in waves (today, for instance).
    If I spray too much, it's overwhelming for a while.

I like seeing the bottle on the shelf, but I'm not going to strain any muscle reaching for it.

Nuit d’Issey Austral Expedition by Issey Miyake

That lime and coriander duo is superb is its fresh, rich simplicity. The gentian drydown is brief on my skin and merging into a woody vetiver base, where I get a distinctly ozonic-vetiver impression, towards the end adding a fruity hint.

Simple, well made, not too generic and with a good performance: moderate sillage, very good projection and eight hours of longevity. I like this product of the Issey Miyake stable. 3.3/5

Timothée Kal's avatar

Zambia Zambia

Déclaration by Cartier

Just received this peerless masterpiece after quite a wait and I must say, Jean Claude Ellena's craftsmanship is unmatched, the uniqueness and composition of this fragrance is bewildering and phenomenally extraordinary.

9.5/10