Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

Champs Elysee's avatar

Musc Blanc by Laurence Dumont

Soft inoffensive with a gentle musk base. Low sillage.

Carbone de Balmain by Pierre Balmain

A floral opening, predominantly violet - on the sinister side - with a lovely ivy note - like standing near an ivy-covered wall - with a heavy sweetish aroma of an overripe fig. The drydown veers into the realm of incense and dark peppery spicy scents, with a tonka base. It sounds sweet and cloying but it isn't.

The concept is quite original; it is a rich, deep and dark experience with good sillage and projection and six hours of longevity in my skin. Wintery I'd say. 3.5/5

Ghost_Goat's avatar

Amazing for Men by Bill Blass

Amazing fails to amaze. In fact, it hardly makes an impression at all. Far from cringe-worthy, it remains anonymous, aloof, and is gone before anybody has a chance to notice it. Five minutes after applying, Amazing, like a high school senior with a full-ride scholarship in the second week of June, leaves the faintest impression of itself and little to no evidence it had, in fact, actually been there. The worst part is, while it may stray towards the pedestrian and banal end of the fragrance spectrum, it's not a terrible scent. As for the name, it's a complete misnomer. "Below-standard" or "Opposite of Amazing" would have been more accurate. However the name came to be (Bill Blass had a particularly dark sense of humor? An exercise in post-modern marketing? A knowing wink to the irony-laden hipsters and cynical bastards who would pay for something "amazing" in name precisely because they knew it wasn't?), the scent elicits nothing but ambivalence and antipathy. And that, to me, is its greatest crime and most-telling indictment.

1fastdoc's avatar

L'Homme Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

Top notes include soap and lemon pledge. From there the house cleaner scent faded it evolved into a pretty generic fresh scent. It reminded me of CK Eternity with less duration. It's not a bad scent, but for me it lacked any depth or unique character.

gimpy's avatar

Anucci Man by Anucci

Funky bottle and nice sprayer. However, this unique white floral is unfortunately ruined by an overpowering sweet syrupy amaretto note.

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

I was really on the fence on this one.

There isn't too much complexity in Cypres Musc. In the opening I smelled a hint of citrus which is probably from the bergamot, little bit of mint, and also oakmoss but not as strong as in scents like Vintage Tabarome or Feuilles Vertes. To me and for some others, it gives off a rather soapy vibe. Specifically, it's the kind of soap that I would expect to see inside a restroom. Then of course the main notes the cypress and musk which remains for the entirety of the scent. I would say the musk is more dominant than the cypress towards the base. This had below average silage and I got about 2-3 hours in longevity for this scent. I can't exactly think of any places that I would wear it. Not my favorite but I would say it's definitely one of the better ones from the classic Creeds.

Darvant's avatar

Ibisco by L'Erbolario

L'Erbolario Ibisco is a dry fresh floral (semi-oriental) juice with a bright spacious sort of aldehydic-eliotropic-chyprey (ambery-woody) aura. Spicy, lemony, powdery and gingery. I read around about a resemblance with Shalimar Parfum Initial (which I absolutely catch even if prevalently with reference to the first spicy blast) but I detect finally more points of reference to the classic Shalimar (which is anyway darker, less aromatic and more properly oriental). Anyway, the Ibisco's aroma is exotic (ylang-ylang in its classic accord with ginger), aromatic, gingery, lemony (really fluidy hesperidic) and finally woody (vetiver and patchouli under my nose). I detect an undiscernible floral aura of intoxicating luxuriousness. A cheap surprise. The synthetic feel is quite in the average. L'Erbolario, namely one of the best solutions around if you are on a budget.

18th January, 2015 (Last Edited: 19th January, 2015)

odysseusm's avatar

Green Oakmoss by Soivohle (Liz Zorn)

Ouch! This was a learning experience for me. What did I learn?
    1. When I hear oakmoss, I usually equate it with "fougere". But of course a chypre can also contain oakmoss. And I like both styles per se. But they are different.
    2. Tuberose is a deal-breaker for me. It is very prominent here, and I don't care for it.

Starts a bit green, quite minty, and fairly spicy (clove). This phase smells like an organic toothpaste.
    Then the tuberose kicks in. It is often described as heavy and honey-like, and I do get a fair amount of somewhat dense sweetness here. Also, I find tuberose to be fleshy, metallic, a bit minty, and at times morphing into a toasted sesame seeds/smoky note.
    The scent is a bit soft, a bit sweet, a bit spicy. Not particularly green, not crisp, not really oak-mossy. Where are the woods? Where is the vetiver? Indeed, where is the OAKMOSS... a somewhat surprising omission given the name.
    A somewhat sweet musky drydown.
    Seriously engaged long tuberose note in the dry down, unfortunately.
    Well, if you love tuberose then you'll love this! However, I don't.

18th January, 2015 (Last Edited: 19th January, 2015)

odysseusm's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

Tried the current version. Very nice. In style it reminds me a lot of Equipage. The spice takes a lead here. In addition to cardamon, I also suggest pepper and perhaps nutmeg. Not sweet, despite the amber and vanilla. In fact, the vanilla is so muted here that I can completely endorse the scent. Leather here is not a problem. Very nice. My only caveat is that I find it so similar to Equipage that I can't see having both. But if you want a gentle but classy spice scent, this is a good one.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

This is by far the best Creed that I have smelled hands down.

The opening had a bit of citrus in it which quickly faded away giving way to leather and tobacco notes which lasted for much of the life of the fragrance. Oakmoss was present throughout the entirety of the scent. I was able to pinpoint some of the notes mentioned on fragrantica such as the amber, pepper, and sandalwood. I wouldn't consider it that dry of a fragrance. It's definitely apparent that the ingredients that make up VT are top notch and the scent is so unique. I get moderate silage and good longevity from it. I consider this a bit more versatile than I imagined prior to getting my first impressions of it. Good for wearing for formal occasions and perhaps special and upscale events as well. I do get a mature vibe from this scent and likely younger people may not like this unless of course they are into vintage fragrances. Overall this one of a kind and another yesteryear masterpiece from the classic Creeds. Well Done!

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Bahjah Attar by Amouage

Dear Amouage,

Since I can't imagine that you intended for Bahjah Attar to smell like lime toilet duck and potent woody aromachemicals on purpose, I must inform you that there's been a bit of a cock-up on the production line. One of your Attar elves must have tipped an entire cauldron of either Norlimbanol or Nagamortha or Karanal or Arsenal or whatever that shite that sucks the moisture out of my nostrils is called, into my tiny bottle of Bahjah. Perhaps there has been some cross-contamination with the Mancera factory, hmmm? Sort it out please, Amouage. I really expect better.

Sincerely,

An attar fan who for once is not wondering why this was discontinued.

Darvant's avatar

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

Bvlgari Femme is a (classically appointed) quite moody and assertive greenish/aldehydic floral composition with a bitter/lymphatic structure and a mossy powdery foundation. In the first stage jasmine and rose are heady (vaguely soapy and aldehydic) as surrounded by a more realistic and sparkling herbal-hesperidic atmosphere. I see the reference to Chanel N. 19 (sharing with Femme a bitter/green dump first floral stage), anyway while N. 19 preserves till the end an articulated humid sharp plain earthiness (more properly realistic and botanic) Bvlgari Femme finally slides towards a warmer (more soapy-synthetic) eliotropic ambery muskiness (with a bitter/floral counteracting undetone mostly provided by orange, lemon, orris root, herbs and violet). Violets are a central element which determines a green and finally talky aura as flanked by amber, musk and powdery iris. The green/floral/lemony bitterness smells finally (as encompassed by talky warmth) really sensual, "sweated-like" and "intimate" (but finally textured and elegant, with a touch of vintage).

nonnative's avatar

My Burberry by Burberry

Even if I wouldn't wear it Ii like less commercial stuff) I appreciated it a lot. Elegant and confortable like a Burberry trench. With dinamism and energy that make it perfect for a urban lady. Absolutely appropriate to be worn at the office or for a job interview!

nonnative's avatar

Fortis : L'Eau Forte by Les Liquides Imaginaires

Not knowing Black Afgano my approach to Fortis is ingenuous and genunine. I like it. It has that aura of class and sofistication I look for in scents. Dark head notes, creamy heart notes and great longevity. Beautifu indeed. Not too masculin. I could wear it at times.

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

This would have gotten a thumbs up if had better longevity and silage. The overall scent is definitely nice, it reminded me of lemon pledge. I think it could have been a nice summer scent. I get no more than 30mins before it disappears almost completely. After that to get any kind of silage, one would have to do a rigorous activity for example running which would generate enough body heat to allow the scent to be somewhat noticeable. When I did that, I had to press my arm against my nose to get a faint whiff of the scent. Nice scent, but poor silage and longevity.

Bois de Santal by Creed

The opening had a definite presence of civet which gave off a fecal smell to it. This lasted approximately 30 minutes before the civet started to tone down. While this was happening, there was a light amount citrus, some floral, and a hint of green notes which became more apparent as time passed. The sandalwood was apparent throughout the entirety of the scent but increasingly noticeable, beginning right around the heart of the scent, once the civet faded into the background. At the base the sandalwood became a bit creamy with the contributions of some of the vanilla and tonka bean notes. The overall scent lasted approximately 5 hours with moderate silage for the first 3 hours. Personally, I would have to say this is one of the best if not the best sandalwood scents that I have ever smelled. This is a definite yesteryear masterpiece from the classic Creeds. Outstanding fragrance!

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Molook Attar by Amouage

Despite what the fragrance notes may say, this is almost all Syoufi oud in all its sheep cheese-y, fetid feet glory. Don't get me wrong - I like it. But I've grown accustomed to it. I suspect that many Western noses might be initially put off by the hot, sour "blue cheese" aroma that swells up on the skin the minute you dab it on. That's just Syoufi oud for you. Its hot, Hindi, stinky breath is what most people in the Arabian peninsula feel is the real smell of oud. Personally, I prefer the smell of Cambodi oud, which is fruitier, sweeter, and less animalic, but there are no two ways about it - Syoufi oud is the oud smell that keeps my nose going back to the wrist over and over again. There is something deep and compelling about that odd sourness, something a little mysterious and even more interesting overall than Cambodi oud. It gets rounder and warmer (but not sweeter) as the day progresses, and the sourness of the oud becomes tempered with the creamy, salty twang of a nice ambergris reconstruction (or who knows, maybe real? Doubt it though) and woody basenotes. Masculine-leaning. Fascinating, though, especially for those interested in getting a hold of real Syoufi, considered to be the definitive oud smell in many areas of the Arab world. I am considering buying a small 1ml decant of this to have on hand, even just to sniff it occasionally. It's really good.

kevvillarule's avatar

Acqua e Zucchero by Profumum

To me it stayed very linaer throughout with the skittles milkshake scent. (Open a bag of skittles and you will get the general idea). Though i found the smell pleasant i found it more suited to being a room fragrance opposed to an aftershave. But as it is a aftershave i feel i would prefer to smell it on someone else who i would be around for the day and then ne able to distance myself from it when needed. 1-2 sprays is all that is needed with this to make it suitable and not kill everyone around you. Projection and longevity are both superb but like i say better suted to smell on another than yourself.

Also as a final though it think it would be good to layer with something just to give a bit of depth, maybe try with a spray of oud wood 1st just to give it a bit extra to draw away from all the fruit.

ad_scott's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Top cologne! Very good indeed! Intense fresh green soap followed by a humble vetiver/grassy dimension. The opening is like what many say...straight out of a hot shower; steamy, fresh, clean vibe. The drydown is warm grass on a breezy summer's day. Reminds me of the south of France. Robust longevity, sillage and projection - lasts 8 hours, projects well and no doubt lingers. Delightful!

JackTwist's avatar

Red Leather by PK Perfumes

Deadidol's extensive review, the first on this page, pretty much exhausts the subject of Red Leather.

Paul Kiler considers this his masterpiece, and although I will concur with him as to its success, I still hold out for his Gold Leather as his best.

In any case, this begins with a wallop of sharp, dark, medicinal, almost iodine, notes, but wait ten minutes and it has settled down to a very dark and intense, but very pleasant and unusual leather. I imagine this might be what early scented leather did smell like early in the perfuming stage.

I can't imagine a woman wearing it, unless she were also a biker, as it is very masculine, almost upsettingly so. This is for the macho man, sporting an acrid cigar and a neat glass of scotch.

Interesting to say the least and worth a try if the above appeals to you.

AMAR_420's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Lemon Cool Water indeed. Not bad.

Rose Velours by Van Cleef & Arpels

From the start I get a lovely rose, rich, not really dark, soft, with a classic bergamot providing some initial freshness. Cooked and hints of jasmine in the drydown lead to a base of orris and an ambery sweetinsh honey note, with a pleasant cedar and hints of sandalwood gradually developing in the base.

No wildly creative outbursts then in the selection of the ingredients, but they are of good quality. I am especially impressed with the good development in the transition form a rose-floral to a honey-cedar base. I get moderate sillage, good projection and six hours of longevity. 3.5/5

Porolon's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Incense by Franck Boclet

Excellent work on theme, which is on the title of the perfume. Nevertheless, incense of Franck Boclet falls out of range of incenses to which we used to. For me - it is more the work on theme - to unite modern woody molecules with modern musks. It worked out well and outside the box.

Cologne Noir by Van Cleef & Arpels

Whilst the ginger-pepper-bergamot-orange opening is quite pleasant, the drydown becomes a non-descript woodsy mélange on my skin that shows little interesting development. The performance is nothing special either, with moderate sillage, acceptable projection and four hours of longevity.

A nice start, the rest mediocre. 2.5/5

Casiquire's avatar

Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

What a beauty. Tonka Imperiale starts out with rich tonka, of course, but it's not so heavy and cloying thanks to some brightness by way of "bergamot" and "rosemary". It seems like Thierry Wasser likes taking one good note or accord and making it the star of the show while using other notes just to bring out certain facets of the main attraction. This is no exception. I would never say Tonka Imperiale has a strong rosemary note, but I do notice some herbal brightness giving the fragrance some lift. These little light-handed accents and subtleties are what makes his scents unique and are probably what make opinions about them so divisive, but in this instance the end result is magnificent. The scent is warm and sweet and while it doesn't exactly taste like food it's indulgent enough to make me physically feel hungry. The jasmine provides similar lift in the heart notes but again the main player here is still the rich, vanilla-like tonka. The base stays to come through hours later and it's really just an extension of the heart. A bit of incense starts to peek through just enough to keep the vanilla aspects from becoming too sweet and pudding-like. It almost gives it a dry, leathery undertone. And that's all.

Easily ten hours of scent from two sprays, with gentle sillage. This isn't a scent to wear to impress anyone but yourself, though it's not a complete skin scent. Not a signature daily scent, but in my opinion this is one to have a bottle of during the winter to feel cozy, luxurious, and indulgent.

Kal1973's avatar

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

Average old school fragrance . It starts with lemon/lime and it ends musky . Very predictable . Please don't buy it blindly like I did . Average longevity. Not sure about silage , as I haven't worn it enough and not planning on wearing it regularly

cksmellsgood's avatar

After Five 5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

I really like this scent. It's not overpowering and pleasant. At first when I put it on, I couldn't smell it as it is so blended into my own natural scent, so I sprayed more and my husband said as I walked by, wow, you smell good but did you put the whole bottle on.

Funny. I also love love Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea scent. I find her scents to be very feminine and not overpowering. It also lingers for many hours like my other fav perfumes

cksmellsgood's avatar

Adam Levine for Women by Adam Levine

I really liked the scent & wear it often as it isn't over powering. However, I find the price point for the quality quite unbalanced. I first found it at Kohl's $50.00 for 2.5 ml. And later bought it online from ebay, which I would caution all purchasers to know your seller. I bought several expensive perfumes from one particular seller and all were prepared so that the atomizer had the real perfume, so your first few sprays you would think it was real thing, thereafter finding only such watered down cologne it barely scented the air for 1 minute then dissipated.

So I am unsure if the 2nd bottle I purchased is authentic. I have tried the original Kohls purchase and the "testor" and they both don't seem to linger the full day. After 3 hours. This is the EDT but I have purchased other EDT's and they last most of the day.

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Velvet Orchid by Tom Ford

Wore a sample of this today and have decided it is not just for me. It just seems to be a perfume that doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up. It seems like so many things were thrown together to make this that it has no true definition. I'll have to pass on this one.

kingofengland's avatar

Shangri La by Hiram Green

First to greet my nose is a rhubarb sharpness, bringing an association to famous chypres of the past like Carven's Ma Griffe. Then there is a spiciness, reminiscent of that found in the excellent Spiritus Land 2 by Miller and Bertaux. Plus a chunk of jasmine absolute. A sexy scent, refined and classic in the same manner as Oriza leGrand's Chypre Mousse but considering Shangri La is all natural, this is quite an achievement. The bottle with optional spray is a good idea, and I believe it may also be available in a 5ml spray Another winner by Hiram Green.

17th January, 2015