Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

It starts with delicious fruit smell, sour and sweet at the same time which reminds me of pineapple/kiwifruit. Longevity and projection is average. Scent itself doesn't morph too much after spray. It stays pleasant and it seems to mingle with skin's natural sourness. It is very easy to use and very approachable. It is almost surprising that it was marketed as men's perfume. Exactly same juice in feminine bottle can be sold as ladies' perfume as well.

I chose this for my husband who used Aramis for a year. Aramis is very assertive and strong perfume so that I wanted him to try light and playful one. He enjoyed it for about two months, and then he got tired of it. From Aramis to Black XS might prove to be too much of leap in terms of the complexity and depth. Now it is in my 14yo son's hand.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

It is very safe, fresh-fruity, crowd- pleasing, office-friendly and generic scent. It is not expensive, and it lasts all day and its projection marks huge and you guarantee to leave tail when you walk past.and It is not headache inducing.
    It is shame that I personally find nothing interesting in its scent but if I want to look like rest of the world under the radar, I use this.When I am too busy to choose scent of the day plus I don't want to think anything, I don't want to feel/express anything but I just want to smell polite and pretty, I turn to this. Every perfume in your wardrobe has its purpose.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I would think of this as very personal kind of perfume. It sizzles on for a day but projection level is in the personal radius. You know it is there and you are surrounded by its cloud but it is very small cloud. People might not compliment/comment on it since they might not smell it on you. I experimented quite a bit with this one to know the level of sillage as I read too many reviews that said that this was a loud one. Musc ravaguer is true and wonderful oriental but its scent doesn't travel far. If you want to be noticed of your scent, you might be disappointed. Superb scent if you love and appreciate oriental like Shalima, but don't count on its sillage.

Bel Ami by Hermès

It is not a bad leather. It is very good but it smells old somehow. I own Chanel Cuir de russie and Knize ten, which are actually older creations than Bel amis, but those perfumes smell very present. I don't know which fragrance component makes me perceive Bel amis smelling old but that is how I feel of this one. I use Bel amis when I need to project quiet authority and look organized in formal setting.I used this in my recent job interview that was successful.

Shalimar by Guerlain

I quite like this. However if I have to speak my mind free from the pressure of knowing that it is sort of a perfume legend and all, I would rate this as one of the old perfumes. It's nice but could be better, or, it smells somewhat dated to my nose and I wouldn't want to wear this too often. My aunt used to wear this, this alone, -who owned only this.-25 years ago also didn't help me too much shake the perception of Shalima being OLD.

If I am over 55, I wouldn't want to use it since I am sure this scent will add more age. I think anybody who is still young can try this one without feeling too self-conscious. She will stand out smelling gorgeous and above all, special.
    It is just my personal opinion, but I believe that scents can make the wearer seem aged/dated since the famous and old perfumes have popular smell of the era which everybody can associate with those period.It seems especially true those era are closely put together. Whenever I smell of Estee Lauder Beautiful, the wearer is almost always over 35. Really powdery one like Chanel No.5 or Soapy one like White linen is frequently worn by 50+ yo ladies. Anybody sticking to wearing Thierry Mugler's Angel can be seen 30+. The more broadly popular the scents were, the worse the effect, I reckon since mass of people recognize them. but, less known scents that were created a century ago, still can smell very fresh due to rarity.

lachrymal's avatar

Aspen for Men by Coty

I bought this cologne in the early 90's because the leaf on the bottle reminded me of the Super Leaf in Super Mario Bros 3. It smelled like what I expected a cologne to smell like. Now, I was in my tweens during that time. I knew nothing about cologne at all, other than I bought the thing that reminded me of a video game and I liked the way it smelled.

Fast forward 20 years. I've still got the same bottle. My collection has grown to about 30-40 bottles at the moment. I've been down the Creed path. And you know what? This stuff was a lucky first purchase. It smells like GIT/Coolwater, except it lasts all day. I sprayed it on this morning to try to lure on the Spring and to be a bit nostalgic. It's followed me everywhere I've lived, but rarely been used. I applied one spray to my chest at 7:45 am. It's 10:45 pm, and I just caught a whiff of it. I can't imagine I could say the same if I'd used CW. Perhaps GIT would still be present, but if this is the same formulation as what's available today, the inner miser in me must urge you to pick up a bottle and keep an open mind.

Yumm's avatar

Prada Candy by Prada

Wow. I cannot smell a bit of candy, vanilla or musk in this. It almost smells like gardenia on me, but not quite. It does smell synthetic. Candy makes me sneeze, so I won't be wearing this and it doesn't smell good on me anyway. It is strange what body chemistry can do to a cologne.

Knize Ten by Knize

It is one of the top three leather scents for me; immensely formal, never dated/aged, with hint of authority, smelling attractive to both genders. I normally rotate my scents based on occasions and my daily mood. Knize ten can do very well at work place or job interview. It is not a casual scent. I normally wear it when I don't want to smell too feminine/sexy but still want to smell nice.

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

Orange Sanguine is a burst of pure orange. Delicious, refreshing and uplifting. It smells just like my orange tree when the flowers bloom. Very realistic. I can smell some jasmine and amber, but the orange dominates this fragrance overall. Great fragrance for hot summer days.

clamnole's avatar

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

Boss Bottled Night is a fragrance that I believe is underrated because of it's older line mates. Violet dominates from start to finish, but it's a sweet violet that picks up the lavender and jasmine notes. Reminds me of a sweeter CK Eternity Night, and feels equally synthetic. My main complaint is that BBN dries down right away to a light skin scent. Lasts about 5 hours, but very faint. Should've given it a few more sprays perhaps.

BBN would make for a great date scent, is office safe and could be worn year round. I could see my wife liking it a lot. For $25 or less, it's a good value fragrance.

01st April, 2015 (Last Edited: 08th April, 2015)

Chanel1's avatar

Join The Club : Comandante! by Xerjoff

Join The Club Comandante reminds me a lot of Polo Red, which I like. And I like the staying power it has. For the price I've seen this, $200 for 50 ml, I want it to be a lot better than a department store fragrance. And after a full wearing, I like Polo Red more.

Comandante shines during it's long lasting mid where it maintains a nice projection.

The base flipped this to neutral for me. Now I'm worried the smell of the base was there all along. The base has a feminine, synthetic, powder smell to my nose. Especially synthetic smelling in the base, but I enjoyed it at the top.

01st April, 2015 (Last Edited: 02nd April, 2015)

repose's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Extraordinarily disappointed with this vetiver. Many of the Malle's I've tried seem to possess these unpalatable melange of notes, with one (or two, or three, or four...) notes always "off" and this one is no exception.

No need to really describe transitions as others have already done so, and it's mostly vetiver, but I find either the pink pepper (which I usually like), cloves, or musk in complete disharmony with its eponymous note. It comes across as anything but refreshing, almost rancidly sour, in fact, like smelling something that's turned...

Every time I wear this one I hope to find something I missed or to have it open up differently, but each time I'm left with the same reaction.

01st April, 2015 (Last Edited: 02nd April, 2015)

Amber & Roses by Mancera

The rose and amber are fighting for position with the musk as the referee. The jasmine and lemon are just spectators at this match. Resinous and raunchy. 7/10

Ambré Lumière by Molinard

Resinous amber with vanilla and light spices. The amber is slightly darker than most amber based fragrances. So dark it seems a little dirty (not a bad thing). Nice 7.5/10

Les Nombres d'Or : Vanille by Mona di Orio

Nice and dusty vanilla with with a boozy background. Soon turns just a little green (not a bad thing) and woody. Very nice! Has a mysterious vibe like Memiors of a Trespasser. The price is a little high, but just may be worth it. 8.5/10

Wild Leather by Mancera

Couldn't have a better name. It does start out pretty wild on the opening spray. Animalistic and slightly musky, the violet and patchouli amps things up at a fast pace. After about 15 minutes, you start to smell amber and wood notes in there. The musk seems to clash with the leather, but that calms down nicely in about 30 minutes. Perfect for fall and winter weather. 7/10

Coccobello by Heeley

Moderately green (more like organic green) fragrance that actually seems like a tropical one (coconut note). This is a summer gem. When it starts to cool down, I detect a boozy note in there. Non-cloying and perfect for the warmer weather. Longevity and projection are average. 7.5/10

Alambar by Laboratorio Olfattivo

Medicinal amber and cocoa with a vanilla and cinnamon background. Nothing special. Was expecting much more from this one. Longevity and projection are average. 7/10

Opus II by Amouage

Light citrus and woods with amber. Of course it has that trademark frankincense of Amouge. Nothing spectacular. But nicely done. 7/10

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

Realy like Menthe Fraiche. Great composition and everthing. The only problem....longevity. This becomes a skin scent very quickly (about 4 hours). Summer gem that is easy on the nose. A beautiful tea scent with a supporting cast of mint. There is a wood accord that kicks in on the drydown. 7.5/10

Vetiver Veritas by Heeley

The mint and lavender cools the strong vetiver note in this one. I'm not a big vetiver fan, so my opions may be slightly biased. Citrus vetiver with a mint accord...hhhmm 6.5/10

Opus I by Amouage

Nice way to start off the series. Before checking notes, I detected the Lily of the Valley, jasmine, ylang ylang and rose. Those seem to be the main characters in this one. Of course Amouage's trademark frankincense is in there. Creamy and smooth to perfection. I would purchase this one. 7.5/10

noseyboysniffy's avatar

Lothair by Penhaligon's

Peace, warm embrace in a bottle, love at first sniff, creamy goodness, floral finesse. These are some of the undisclosed notes contained in this gorgeous bottle.

Lyric Man by Amouage

Beautiful soft dusty rose. Seems like it could be worn in the summer . Very comforting fragrance. Nice men's rose scent. Could see myself purchasing a bottle of this. 8/10

Journey Man by Amouage

Nice spicey with a very little touch of greenness in the mid-notes. Of course Amouage has a great incense and note. Tobacco, woods and a light leather note are good co-stars in this one. 8/10

Opus VII by Amouage

Giant green monster with wood! If you are a big fan of green smelling fragrances, this is for you. Co-staring incense and a few woods. 5.5/10

Hippie Rose by Heeley

Bergamont and patchouli join a light rose note that smells spectacular. The incense and vetiver are in the background, and of course the vetiver comes and goes as the fragrance develops. Feminine fragrance, but I would wear this in a minute. I get a touch of jasmine in here as well. Very nice. Summer gem. 8/10

Darvant's avatar

Vince Camuto Homme by Vince Camuto

What an immense boredom guys, namely the hyper generic combination of green-aromatic/calonic/metallic patterns on one side and synthetically woody/ambery notes on the other side. Vince Camuto Pour Homme sounds as a sort of ideal combination of Gaultier Le Beau Male (but Camuto Pour Homme smells in a more synthetically woody way) and Prada Luna Rossa (also Davidoff Hot Water jumps vaguely on mind for its "anyway" far sultrier muskiness), namely nothing new under the sun. There is a swirling salty-ozonic note around, a typical touch of "irony-dry" transparent booziness (I'd have said vodka but gin is the listed one) and "withered" undiscernible floral patterns around while along the way the aroma goes progressively darker towards a sweet synthetic sporty-musky-cedary substance really with nothing to add out there in the world of perfumery. I don't catch the birch tar or something particularly aromatic or resinous. The final "insistent" warm cedary-musky saltiness is almost annoying. Any disaster, a banally acceptable fragrance but nothing I'd ever go to buy. Really great packaging. Pass by.

Opus IV by Amouage

Spicey and musky. Too much going on with Opus IV. For those of you who like animalistic frgrances, this is for you. Smells a lot like body sweat.

Opus VIII by Amouage

Orange blossom and ylang ylang is what I initially got out of this one. Floral fragrance that is accompanied with a few light spices. Nice, but not for me. 7/10