Latest Fragrance Reviews, Updated Daily

Vetiver Moderno by Torre of Tuscany

Vetiver Moderno opens in a really peculiar way, definitely not what you would expect with such a name (“Modern Vetiver”). To my nose, initially there’s no vetiver at all: I get a heavily spicy blend, slightly musky-moldy and with a sort of thick, wet “lacustrine” substance. A heart of pepper, an understated yet solid and masculine rose note which emerges with increasing strength, and a rich citrus accord: overall, a really nostalgic, almost decadent blend with an ambiguous mood halfway romanticism and filthiness (mostly for a weird dark-rubbery nuance among the base notes). Rose, woods, musk give Vetiver Moderno almost a “vintage barbershop” feel, but revisited with a “transparent” modern texture. Somehow classic, but not banal and not boring; the modernity lies, I guess, in the “clash” between some notes (initially citrus, spices, nuances ranging from candied to rubbery...) and in that crisp, thin texture. Which is heavier at first, so it will take a while for you to appreciate it. For me, the nicest feature of this scent is the really well-engineered arising of the vetiver note, which occurs after a while, and kind of “reunites” all the notes and the opposites melting them together in a really pleasant, compelling and balanced woody-ambery-spicy blend, slightly powdery and camphorous too, really peculiar and much sophisticated. Complex and “clashy” at first, really tight and effortlessly warm and harmonic on the drydown. Also still somehow “decadent”, but never becoming too dark. Really nice: an interesting, unusually refined and fascinating scent. Not sure if vetiver fans may enjoy this given the number of notes which share the main stage with vetiver, but still totally worthy a try.

04th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 06th April, 2015)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Chelsea by Boadicea the Victorious

Chelsea by Boadicea the Victorious is a dark verdant, earthy oud that has a cold but mysterious and very alluring edge. The cold spice of cardamom blends with the earthiest vetiver and a medicinal oud aroma that has an ancient deep forest, wet earth feel about it. You feel this fragrance as much as smell it. The vetiver is very central here but this is strongly influenced by cardamom, patchouli, mahogany woods and I think I detect a sprinkle of saffron for that sharp cold ancient woods smell. I expect to see rotting timbers from an old wooden sailing vessel, or damp ancient stones of a Mayan ruin covered in lichens and mosses and forgotten by time. The fragrance is very strong, but a single spritz produces an amazing aroma that I find hypnotic and very agreeable. I have not smelled another perfume like this one but similar fragrances are MFK Oud Velvet Mood and Bond No. 9 Harrod's Ltd. Swarovski Oud. The price while expensive, is in the same range as other oud based perfumes of similar quality. A very unusual scent that will not appeal to everyone, but I recommend a test for the adventurous soul. I rate it 4 of 5 stars losing a point for its scruffy nature.

04th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2015)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Oxford by Boadicea the Victorious

The name Oxford by Boadicea the Victorious brings to mind tradition and time honored quality but of a more conservative nature. It fits! This fragrance is very harmonious with its name. The ingredients are high quality, potent and natural but assembled into a traditional eau de cologne structure. The opening is vital alive citrus of juicy aromas of grapefruit, orange and lemon underwritten by warm neroli. Neroli fills the mid body of the fragrance and is kept vibrant with jasmine and grounded with vetiver and a clean dry white musk. I don't really detect lavender or amber which may be apart but these notes are slightly noticeable for support and depth. A Clean, crisp and sparkling Oxford perfume is the model of nicely balanced citrus cologne pumped up to perfume status.

Oxford smells like a more intense version of Villoresi Acqua di Colonia or a more sedate but quality relative of Creed Jardin d' Amalfi. This is quality fragrance all the way that is overpriced, yes, but is intended to provide a top notch experience. It delivers.

04th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2015)

Le Rivage des Syrtes / PdN1 by MDCI

Le Rivage des Syrtes is basically a freshly greenish-hesperidic, soapy-incensey and classically appointed (in an old style soapy-chypre way) central exotic accord of intense (almost fizzy) grapefruit/tangerine/neroli, creamy tuberose and ylang-ylang over a waxy-honeyed-resinous woodsy base. Unfortunately after a first freshly creamy fruity tuberose's performance a really bizarre sort of "roasted bacon-like" vibe (possibly elicited by a connection between the orangy fizziness and a sort of smokey-resinous undertone) starts standing out soapy and somewhat disturbing, really wrestling with the laundry-cosmetic (vaguely Victorian) main chord. Along the way the orangy-floral smokey feel fortunately recedes and the basic accord of laundry frankincense and ambergris rises up succeeding on the stage with its barber-shop (old-school) and more than vaguely powdery substance. The still orangy-soapy dry down is delicate, still waxy-vegetal, finally "palatine" (the somewhat aristocratic MDCI's trademark vibe) and far more wearable. This final stage is by far the part I prefer, its basically powdery substance is pungently organic, vaguely acid, dissonant, piquant and spicy, it fits to skin in a warm and sensual way. A pity for the overly pungent "roasted" central part. A really bizzarre fragrance for a particularly eccentric type of character.

drseid's avatar

À la Rose by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A la Rose opens with a very realistic light airy rose with a subtle orange fruity undertone. As the composition moves to its early heart the realistic airy rose remains the star with the orange turning a bit more dull and prominent, now joined in support by slightly powdery violet and a subtle underlying woody accord well in the background. During the late dry-down the rose all but vacates leaving its subtle remnants to support the remaining natural smelling woods that take the fore through the finish. Projection is relatively poor and longevity is on the low side of average at about 7 hours on skin.

The rose genre has gotten super-saturated as more and more compositions have been released in the past decade alone. As such, it is understandable if one almost feels a bit jaded when they hear of yet *another* release in the crowded field, and A la Rose is indeed another entrant. Luckily, while the composition breaks absolutely no new ground in the genre focusing primarily as a rose soliflore for most of its linear development, it is so skillfully done the wearer almost doesn't care. Mr. Kurkdjian has first and foremost used some very high quality raw materials that immediately stand out in a positive way over normal rose focused offerings with an airy rose that is so realistic you almost feel you could reach out and grab it. The violet and wood really does not play much of a role in the composition except to propel the rose to the fore, hovering well in the background until late when the rose finally recedes. In effect, the composition is all about the rose, and *only* the rose. Apart from the lack of any real innovation, the other negatives are all on the performance side of the equation, or lack thereof. It is somewhat disappointing that the projection is rather dismal and longevity unimpressive. That said, sometimes low projectors are good fits for relatively close quarter situations, and while the longevity is unimpressive it is far from anything *too* worrisome. At the end of the day the composition is called "A la Rose," and that is what it delivers, nothing more, nothing less. The bottom line is the $245 per 70ml A la Rose is a very realistic if not overly linear and simplistic depiction of the rose that still manages to impress with its top-notch raw materials and skillful execution, earning an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 and a solid recommendation. While certainly this is a great composition, with all the other rose offerings on the market it is debatable if yet another rose soliflore for this kind of money is the best investment one can make. That is a decision each prospective purchaser will have to make themselves, but those looking for a rose soliflore will find much to love here, I'm sure.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Tweed has been my favorite ‘modern’ Creed ever since I first got into this line many years ago. It’s also the one that I wear the most out of all the Creeds that I own. Upon application I got a fresh crisp opening that comes from the ‘French’ lemon verbena note with a hint of ‘Florentine’ Iris. To me, the opening comes off as both citrusy and green. It reminds me of getting out of the shower after finishing a good workout at the gym. It has a very refreshing opening. The opening eventually subsides allowing for the iris and violet to step up in the heart. The scent transforms into a very luscious green scent. At the drydown, the ‘Mysore’ sandalwood and ambergris notes come into play giving off the classic Creed drydown as noticed in many of its fragrances. To me, the drydown became slightly creamy and woodsy-like in addition to the green heart that is still present from earlier. Describing it overall, GIT is a masculine and wonderful refreshing scent.

Personally, I can’t really find an occasion that GIT wouldn’t be appropriate to be worn it. It’s well balanced and well suited that it can be worn all year round. It will work well in both formal and casual occasions whether it’s at an office meeting or going out for a drive on the weekends. I want to point out that GIT is more of a safe scent in that it won’t jump out people but at the same time it won’t always get noticed. Ill also note that it gets compared to other fragrances like Davidoff’s Cool Water and Bond No. 9 Chez Bond as noted from other reviewers. I do find those similarities but the quality of GIT is far superior IMO. Both the longevity and silage are great. In terms longevity I get anywhere between 4-8 hours depending on application and climate. Silage is moderate for the first 2-3 hours before staying closer to the skin for the remainder of the scent. Warmer months (ie: spring and summer) will help the scent project more and improve the longevity. Overall, Green Irish Tweed is one of the best scents that Creed has to offer. People trying out Creed for the first time, GIT would be a good place to start. GIT is my favorite ‘modern’ Creed scent and overall one of my all-time favorites from the entire Creed line.

flathorn's avatar

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

The pepper, saffron(ish), turmeric opening is kind of unique. It isn't my idea of the concept of gold, though that inspiration seems more something to spin this fragrance on. It may not have to end up where it started, so I'll just acknowledge the seed at the heart of this of a sort of cool, solid mineralic strength, a seriousness.
    It is on me, very dry, herbal, and centered. This odd saffron doesn't in any way warm my skin, like it usually does. I don't pick up the florals other people have mentioned, or any amber in the dry down. That would have made it more wearable for me. Instead it became even more uncomfy - aggressively aromatic herbs, like a raspy dry wild thyme bush. I couldn't find a resonance with this one.

freewheelingvagabond's avatar

India India

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Musc Ravageur is a wonderful composition centred around musk and clove. The initial impression is of a busy opening with hints of lavender. The transition to heart phase starts very soon where the cloves become more prominent. They finally subside to reveal a base of musk, woods with hints of vanilla. The overall fragrance is warm, cosy, enveloping and sensual. The musk is somewhere between clean and dirty. Musc Ravageur is a pleasure to wear and lasts a good time.

It is a beautiful interpretation of musk, and very distinguished too.

flathorn's avatar

Piper Leather by Illuminum

The name says it all - pepper and leather.
    They're a good match - the dusty, dried wood aspects of pepper and the animal feel of leather. It produces a cool viscerality. The balance of this fragrance is more about the pepper than the leather, so it's more mineral and wood than animal. In the beginning and midnotes, the combination is fairly sensual, and I found myself sniffing my wrist a lot. As it dries down its character gets thinner. When some of the notes fade away, the leather, which was never big or sturdy, joins the pepper, becomes more mineral. The whiffs I get of it along the way still have a dry sensuality so I can't entirely diss this stage. Eventually though, the end becomes simplistic, predominately pepper. The civet never emerged on my skin. The best part isn't long-lasting, and enters the dry down to pepper after a few hours.
    This fragrance is primarily about these two elements, so it may feel lacking to those who need more to ring their bell. For those who love the note, Piper Leather will probably feel satisfying and coolly sensual. I need a little more to be able to wear this on me, primarily because I keep seeing it as a masculine scent - I keep wanting to smell this on a man, not myself. Also, I wasn't enchanted with the end, it became too much of a one-note pepper. There are plenty of fragrances now that fade out disappointingly, where the opening and mid note are all you get. I've heard the term front-loading of perfumes - to me Piper Leather is a case in point.

Chanel1's avatar

1969 Parfum de Révolte by Histoires de Parfums

Peach, rose, and patchouli are notes I detected, so my nose is coming around.

I don't really like rose, so it's a neutral for me, but all sorts of posters in the male fragrance forum purport loving rose fragrances, so they should try this one, especially if they like peaches!

odysseusm's avatar

Eau de Monsieur by Annick Goutal

Nothing unpleasant here, but nothing remarkable.
    Good citrus notes out of the gate. After that, a standard citrus EdC with a bit of a musky dry-down.

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

A bit over-the-top... people love don't mind the fragrance. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Very floral for when you want to get noticed. The floral/rose scent is okay... but... maybe it is the patchouli... there is something in there that I don't really LOVE. I wear it, but won't buy it again.

Betsey Johnson (original) by Betsey Johnson

A bit heavy, but long lasting, this scent is fun, sexy, and punky... just like Betsey. Although the packaging is adorable, the cute pink top does not sit easily on the bottle. I can not believe she would discontinue this treasure for her newer scents. I'll have to pick up some back-stock before it is gone. My husband LOVES it!

Cabotine by Grès

This is a strange scent - Years ago I found Cabotine Gres at a scent counter. Drawn in by the fresh coriander and fresh floral tones, I kept be drawn back to testers. Now that I own it, I have mixed feelings. This scent is not for everyday, but still is enjoyable. Cabotine de Gres does not last as long as I would expect. When I feel "green and fresh" I give it a mist.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

I miss this scent. When I get a chance I'm going to pick it up again. This one is classy and lingering. It is a good blend for a non-floral day.

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

About 10 years ago, a male friend referred me to this perfume, stating it was what he bought for his girlfriend because he loved it. Not everyday do I want to smell like Vanille Abricot, but when I do, it puts me in a good mood. Like comfort food, it makes me feel sweet and enjoyable. I get enough compliments to know others feel the same.

Poison by Christian Dior

About 15 years ago, I LOVED this scent. Since them I've moved away from it (because it became so popular and I associated it with women I didn't like). Now that my scent profile has matured, I tied to give it another chance. Now it is just "ok" and not as appealing. The scent does stay with you, but not always in a good way.

Touch for Men by Burberry

Touch for Men is basically the only other Burberry scent I kind of enjoy together with London for Men, and the good old Burberrys from 1992. From the very first sniff, Touch screams “2000s” all over: that synthetic musky-watery texture, the spicy woodiness, the softer hint of violet leaves providing a powdery feel conforming to that “androgynous” type of “new millenium’s urban-informal elegance” so many masculine scents of that decade seemed conforming to. And a really enjoyable smoky vibe (I guess coming from vetiver), just to keep it “manly” enough. Slightly reminding me of Nemo by Cacharel, albeit much less heavy on the spices, but somehow they share a sort of common “mood”; both are mellow, kind of plastic in a fascinating way, spicy and exotic but with a peculiar sort of smooth and slightly aqueous texture. Touch smells just fresher and more focused on vetiver/cedar and spices, with a musky base and a powdery frame, but there’s indeed a tonka-nutty breeze that makes Nemo come to mind. However that’s it, the evolution is almost absent, the projection is elegantly close to skin. Miles far from being a groundbreaking scent, not the greatest quality around for sure... but still a decent crisp fragrance less generic than it may look.

6,5/10

iodine's avatar

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

This morning I was shelling some peas and this fragrance came immediately to my mind. Its green, woody, green beans odd sweet opening used to put me off from further sniffing, but today I'm finding it much more gentle, much softer and much more on the barely sugar coated violet side than I remembered. A violet fragrance that successfully avoids the cosmetic, powdery- lipstick- soap association and sticks to the vegetal, the woodsy, the frost covered grassy feel, on the same wavelenght of L'Artisan Verte Violette. A nice fragrance, for violet lovers.

1881 Black by Cerruti

Nothing really “black” here except for the box, and overall a barely decent fragrance which was quite disappointing for me. I didn’t have high expectations, but still I thought it was better than it actually is in my opinion. Basically 1881 Black is a sort of spicy, soapy, musky and slightly ozonic take on the original 1881 – which is still the only one I like among this line of flankers. There shall be oud in here but I don’t get any; all I smell is a really heavily synthetic spicy-musky blend smelling as much crisp and soapy as really cheap and completely unoriginal, and a tad boring after a while (the “annoying scrubber” kind of boring). But at least it’s also really cheap cost-wise, so no complaints... And after all it’s not that bad; it smells barely decent, really unworthy any attention unless you are looking for a really generic and inexpensive office/gym scent. Projection and persistence are obviously bold & long lasting given how much plastic this smells.

5,5/10

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Lush Breath of God is a modern natural take on the aromatic/minty barber-shop theme. I adore this sharply fruity cool "laundry" fragrance. The general "a la Comme des Garcons" atmosphere is vaguely medicinal (along the first stage), minty, misty (peppery-smoky-incensey), opaque (a spicy rose enhances a sort of laundry opacity) and hallmarked by a weird fruity/floral/hesperidic spark of colour which cuts the "film noir-like" general ambience. The "infamous" fruitiness is actually provided by a spicy accord of tangerine/neroli, lime, nutmeg (may be cloves) and grapefruit connected with several floral elements (a noir jasmine too??). Breath of God is a "toiletries kind" fresh connection of mint, earthy woods, (bay leaves too??), smoke, fruits and fluidy fresh frankincense. The latter is freshly fluidy, smokey and vaguely leathery. The peppery presence is central throughout together with hesperides (lime, bergamot), forest resins and soap (wax, amber??). The soapy dry down is woodsy (woody-mossy), tobacco veined, weirdly spicy, still dusty and surprisingly balmy-leathery. In this final (misty-smoky-leathery) phase the aroma smells like an ideal "date" between Gucci Pour Homme (or Durbano Black Tourmaline with its final dusty leathery wave), C&S Cuba (with its fresh laundry exoticism provided by ylang-ylang and incensey tobacco) and the freshly barber-shop Cuba Paris Cuba Black. Recommended if you wave on this genre.

Paul aus's avatar

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

I like this fragrance.
    I find that I really enjoy wearing it.
    I have to agree with other reviewers that it doesn't last and needs to be liberally applied to get any staying power~but I still like it :-)

Francolino's avatar

Oriental Lounge by The Different Company

great take on the Oriental genre, solid sillage and good longevity..bergamot , tonka till ana mber core for the final curtain, if you are into orientals this is a great one!

rbaker's avatar

Gap Blue No. 655 Her by Gap

An orange opening with a green herbal drydown, petering out with a fresh bergamot base - fairly generic overall. Moderate sillage, adequate projection and three hours of longevity on my skin. 2/5

Junky by Jardins D'Ecrivains

Jardins d'Ecrivains Junky opens with a fizzy-fresh (hyper greenish and more than vaguely medicinal), salty-sweet, wet accord of aldehydes, galbanum, bergamot, fir resins, vetiver and gardenia (the latter by soon bright and humid). It seems to assist to a date between a Bruno Fazzolari's botanic floral treatment, a Humiecki&Graef's tart (kind of melony) fruity experiment and a neo-chypre typical Oriza L.Legrand medicinal-aromatic "barber-Shop" welcome. Violet and iris start in a while to peep out, the first one pungent and hesperidic while the second of the two somewhat fresh and earthy. In this central stage the initial medicinal-citric vibe yields gradually the stage to a sort of "vaguely fruity-resinous" soapiness still green, mossy and hallmarked by citrus and violet. Finally I detect a vague cedary-leathery undetone on the side of the stand out chypre boise (laundry-aldehydic) accord of moss, "liquid incense", fruity-floral notes and vetiver. Nothing particularly original or which I would rush to purchase but a nice take on a freshly silvan "soapy-floral-freshly incensey" theme. Finally somewhat synthetic, salty metallic (with a slightly plastic undertone) and more "banal".

AnnaJnobile's avatar

Lyric Man by Amouage

Unfortunately, with the arrival of the magnetic caps, Amouage has reformulated (and killed) this heavenly fragrance. Before, this was a hypnotic scent and deserved 10/10. The current version (magnetic cap) is not worth what it costs.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

This perfume has the ability to transport me to far and exotic lands.
    In my opinion it captures the spices and flavors of Northern India, where the city of Jaipur is located. Although I have never been in there, wearing this makes me wish I was there. Maybe some day, who knows, but in the meanwhile I just have to be content and satisfied with the feeling I get with this beautiful perfume.
    Longevity and sillage are very good indeed.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Fresh, clean and sophisticated, a very nice fragrance indeed.
    Start with a strong and zesty lemon/lime note reinforced with lemon verbena and some orange that becomes more flowery at the heart, to end in a vetiver/sandalwood drydown with a hint of incense and oakmoss balanced wth some sweetness.
    A very complex scent, elegant and masculine, I like it a lot an so does my wife.
    Longevity and sillage are better than average without becoming loud and intrusive.
    A winner in my book.

odysseusm's avatar

Palm Springs Collection Natural Perfume by The Body Deli

Wow, here is a citrus scent with longevity! More than a fleeting glimpse.
    Excellent PINK grapefruit note -- very tasty and natural.
    That grapefruit note lasts and lasts. Amazing!
    Vanilla not a problem.
    Jasmine is a minor floral development, mostly an appealing earthy, even slightly woody note.
    Nice peppery bite from the ginger. The grapefruit note morphs seamlessly into this spicy note
    A refreshing and substantial citrus scent.

mrcologneguy's avatar

L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

Pleasant, sweet, almondy, women like it. Well-priced, and the bottle is good-looking. What's not to love? Don't overthink it, just enjoy. No, it is not on par with Guerlain masterpieces like Derby and Heritage. Still, it's a worthwhile addition to the collection. Surprisingly fun and fresh, more in the realm of (underrated) Guerlain Homme than the brand's legacy output. Not a bad thing when you're in the mood for a quick, modern, spray-and-go. It's highly versatile, safe for a wide variety of applications. Eventually L'Homme Ideal will find a passionate fan base on BN. Can't wait til we see threads about the "exquisite, rare, vintage formulation." Its amazing and quirky "cherry Pla-Doh" accord seems too good to last. Buy it before corporate bean counters dictate a cheaper, less interesting formulation.